Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Four Studio Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Poll Question: Who has the best overall?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
27 [25.96%]
1 [0.96%]
10 [9.62%]
10 [9.62%]
5 [4.81%]
11 [10.58%]
25 [24.04%]
12 [11.54%]
2 [1.92%]
1 [0.96%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 09:45
OoOoOhh! Kansas should be part of this poll. Maybe they're not because they'd win.  LOL
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 09:57
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I've kept it to a round ten bands (arguably the most important in prog)

Ooooh, not many top 10 most important prog band lists do not include VDGG. Surprised that I'm the first one to mention them. They'd probably snatched my vote.
From the list, Camel wins it through consistency, then KC and Floyd.
Further ones that would've beaten Camel in my book are Cardiacs, Can, Amon Düül II. Univers Zero isn't a bad nomination either.
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 11:18
Gentle Giant +1
King Crimson
Pink Floyd
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 12:13
Pink Floyd
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 15:46
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

when your first 4 include "The Snow Goose" and "Moonmadness"< and the other two are pretty good, the choice is easy

This. Very easy. Marillion are a very respectable 2nd.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 15:53
I yield to no one with my love of Marillion, but I am more of a h fan nowadays, and really only listen to the first four when I feel like a nostalgia fest.

I have gone for Genesis. Yes, FGTR is utterly forgettable, but the pleasure that Trespass, Nursery Cryme (especially), and Foxtrot have given me over the years must get my vote. They were the among the formation albums of my yoof, and I still love them.

I did think about Crimson, certainly because of the epochal debut, which is still utterly fantastic. I have also learned to appreciate Islands far more as I have grown older. The other two, though, are, for me, absolutely non-essential.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 16:46
For me easily Genesis....
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 16:54
A tough one. I gave the edge to GG, although Crimso, Camel and ELP (who sounded rather mature from the beginning) qualify as well.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 17:23
It's so rare for ELP to win anything on PA, I immediately voted for them, although subsequently thought I should have voted for King Crimson, and then I thought Marillion's debut has so many memories for me ... The agony of choice....

Edited by Squonk19 - March 25 2020 at 17:24
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 17:31
Camel for me
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 17:54
Another close one, but I think Gentle Giant is the best choice.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 17:59
Gentle Giant  !!!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 20:20
Crimson.....
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 22:35
Genesis
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 22:44
Gotta be ELP here.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 23:25
By a process of elimination where anything under 4 stars eliminates the band I end up with ELP versus Gentle Giant with ELP winning marginally. The problem with ELP was they ran out of creative gases after their fourth album, while Gentle Giant kept the creative juices running a bit longer.  

Edited by iluvmarillion - March 25 2020 at 23:29
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 00:31
There was no obvious immediate answer for me, so I tried to be scientific. I ranked each album from 1 - 10,  and used the total score for each band.

And ended up with a 4-way tie

Yes, Genesis, Tull and KC.

Looking at my scores, Genesis, Yes and Tull each trended upwards, with their fourth album being their highest rated.  King Crimson peaked on debut and trended downwards, with their fourth album their lowest.

Finally, I ran this again with VDGG's first four albums included, and they won.  They did it without a 10 (which each of the other bands managed once), but were just the most consistent.

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 00:57
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I've kept it to a round ten bands (arguably the most important in prog) and it does include FGTR so hopefully all the 'Genesis fan boys' won't just press the auto vote button Wink

So the idea is that you treat the first four albums as a block . So in many cases the same as a modern double CD length wise.

For me ELP and Camel have strong entries as obviously does KC . Marillion covers the Fish era so that is strong as well.

Its very seventies orientated so I have included an Other option. 
Let the headaches commence!

BTW - I know many complain about the use of the word 'Best' . It's just your opinion and can be taken as 'most progressive' or most 'important' or however you want to view it. Lets not get too hung up about this.Smile

that's a tough one.
You said you'd have the "other" option, did you change your mind? LOL

Sorry genuinely meant to but probably in a rush Embarrassed
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 00:59
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I like them all and have them all except Rush (roomie had all of it and heard enough of it!), and my vote is going to be different ... 

DJAM KARET ... their first 4 albums rival anyone's in quality and ability.

AMON DUUL 2 ... their first 4 albums still stand ... excellent!

NEKTAR ... still great after all these years and it's all over, now!

CHICAGO ... first four for sure!

I did think about Chicago. Those other bands I need to check out Smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 01:01
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

OoOoOhh! Kansas should be part of this poll. Maybe they're not because they'd win.  LOL

I do like Kansas . I have missed out a lot of bands and managed to forget the 'other' option as well .LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>