Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Four Studio Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: Who has the best overall?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
27 [25.96%]
1 [0.96%]
10 [9.62%]
10 [9.62%]
5 [4.81%]
11 [10.58%]
25 [24.04%]
12 [11.54%]
2 [1.92%]
1 [0.96%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 01:04
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I've kept it to a round ten bands (arguably the most important in prog)

Ooooh, not many top 10 most important prog band lists do not include VDGG. Surprised that I'm the first one to mention them. They'd probably snatched my vote.
From the list, Camel wins it through consistency, then KC and Floyd.
Further ones that would've beaten Camel in my book are Cardiacs, Can, Amon Düül II. Univers Zero isn't a bad nomination either.

Yeah my biggest omission. I actually woke up in the night and apart from COVID-19 and work worries , that one (missing VDGG) also popped into my head. I could edit the poll and take Rush out of the equation but I'm guessing that people who might have voted VDGG have already gone for a different option so I will have to leave it. Sorry!

Edited by richardh - March 26 2020 at 01:05
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 01:32
Now this is an interesting/good thread! Even I didn't realize how solid, by comparison, ELP's first four are to pretty much (well, all) most of this list!

ELP!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 02:22
The first four of Talking Heads or Kate Bush would be the first on my list ...then probably Genesis.
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 06:16
Camel, no contest. I'd say the first six of theirs are all pretty good.

Edited by AlanB - March 26 2020 at 06:17
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 06:33
First Four Marillion Albums
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 06:38
Out of Genesis, Gentle Giant, Camel and Floyd. Think I’ll vote for the Giant.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 11:28
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

The first four of Talking Heads or Kate Bush would be the first on my list ...then probably Genesis.

Hi,

I would second Kate Bush on that ... for that matter, Rickie Lee Jones ... her first 4 albums were outstanding, and then it was like ... she disappeared!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 11:59
If I could, I would vote for the first 4 Family lps hands down as (for me) they are consistently on my turntable and I enjoy all 4 equally and feel they are of equal strength and consistency. 

Applying the same principle I am strangely finding some of my favourite bands a bit wanting in odd moments and so I find that I do enjoy the first 4 Tull, Camel and then Genesis lps (regardless of FGTR) equally.

Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 12:03
Has to be Gentle Giant.  I'm not much of an ELP fan
Songs cast a light on you
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 13:21
ELP's a great choice, but I've got to go with Genesis. I can take or leave the debut itself, but the next three! Big smile

Edited by Sacro_Porgo - April 13 2020 at 13:22
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 13:23
And as far as my favorite first four in general are. Queen, Queen II, Sheer Heart Attack, A Night At The Opera.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 14:34
I went with ELP(that's not counting Pictures though). Unfortunately nothing they did after those came close.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 17:55
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I went with ELP(that's not counting Pictures though). Unfortunately nothing they did after those came close.
Unless you count Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends, Ladies And Gentlemen...
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2024 at 09:06
It says I've already voted in this poll, but I don't remember which one of these got my vote. Embarrassed

It's a nice poll. Thumbs Up
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2024 at 09:17
Gentle Giant - their four first are my four favorites of theirs. All wonderful
Camel - love all four, but I don't think all four albums are equally strong
Jethro Tull - I do love ca. half of This Was, but that album is the weaker link for me
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2024 at 09:33
Gentle Giant
ELP
Jethro Tull
Moonshake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonshake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2024 at 12:02
Genesis
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2024 at 12:03
ELP
Cause its only knock and know all, but I like it...

Writing (Or Suffering from Writers Block)

Working on a New Album|Bandcamp
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2024 at 13:53
I'd say ELP... as history shows first albums are often not that great and sometimes show little of the future brilliance of a band... Genesis and Yes are two obvious examples in the prog genre (possibly also Tull and Camel), and even dare I suggest Pink Floyd, as PATGOD is so atypical of the future Floydian Sound.

Edited by Floydoid - February 03 2024 at 14:03
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2024 at 13:55
First four VDGG
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>