Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Other Side of Life

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 21:53
I absolutely love the title track. It’s gotta be a top 50 song for me. Similarly, I love Camel’s “West Berlin”. Songs like that do something for me. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 04:26
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Have you heard Long Distance traveler? Just curious.

He already mentioned he had in post number 3. Wink
I usually skip over your posts. Wink

It wasn't my post. It was his post(the OP).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 01 2020 at 04:26
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 04:30

Have you heard Long Distance traveler? Just curious.

He already mentioned he had in post number 3. Wink
I usually skip over your posts. Wink

It wasn't my post. It was his post(the OP).
But he quoted your post. So..
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 04:33
^The point is you asked a question that he answered already. That was what I was trying to let you know. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 01 2020 at 04:36
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 19:21
Originally posted by POTA POTA wrote:

I absolutely love the title track. It’s gotta be a top 50 song for me. Similarly, I love Camel’s “West Berlin”. Songs like that do something for me. 

I'll have to check out this West Berlin song, I'm surprised it's not ringing a bell for me. I'm certain it's not on Mirage at least. Probably on Breathless or something like that. Anyway the Title track from TOSOL I've literally only heard once but I remember it being good(along with several others on that same album).

Ok now to go listen to Sur la Mer. Maybe finally a weak album from them? We'll see a minute.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 19:54
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

ahh man.. thought it was.. so making it so... there is only one The Other Side of This Life

stay healthy Jack... 

That was pretty groovy man, right on. We built this city, yes Sir. Stay healthy brother.

you too my good man..no virus is going to get me..I have first dibs on putting myself into a premature grave before I'm pissing and sh*tting myself ignored by stoned out min wage teens in a rest home.. besides my system is so polluted it would likely swallow any virus.. one reason I never get sick I guess Beer

and groovy...  oh Jack and his backing band hasn't even started getting groovy yet...

smoke 'em if you got them...

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 20:32
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

you too my good man..no virus is going to get me..I have first dibs on putting myself into a premature grave before I'm pissing and sh*tting myself ignored by stoned out min wage teens in a rest home.. besides my system is so polluted it would likely swallow any virus.. one reason I never get sick I guess Beer

and groovy...  oh Jack and his backing band hasn't even started getting groovy yet...

smoke 'em if you got them...

Well whatever works for you I guess. Wow, that was a JAM session man. Riiight on.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 20:34
Ok finally a VERY mediocre album from the Moody Blues. I was beginning to wonder if they were human for a minute there lol.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 20:44

Ok finally a VERY mediocre album from the Moody Blues. I was beginning to wonder if they were human for a minute there lol.

Which one?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 20:47

I'll have to check out this West Berlin song, I'm surprised it's not ringing a bell for me. I'm certain it's not on Mirage at least. Probably on Breathless or something like that. Anyway the Title track from TOSOL I've literally only heard once but I remember it being good(along with several others on that same album).

Ok now to go listen to Sur la Mer. Maybe finally a weak album from them? We'll see a minute.

I Just looked it up. It's on Stationary Traveller(one I haven't heard yet).

As for TMB I guess you were talking about Sur La Mer. It might grow on you. I think it's maybe only slightly weaker than The other side of life but that's just my opinion. ANyway, if you didn't like it then definitely don't check out any of the later ones. Then again I was wrong about you liking that one(sur la mer) apparently so it's up to you. Just look at the ratings on here though. That should give you a hint.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 01 2020 at 20:50
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 20:55

As for TMB I guess you were talking about Sur La Mer. It might grow on you. I think it's maybe only slightly weaker than The other side of life but that's just my opinion. ANyway, if you didn't like it then definitely don't check out any of the later ones. Then again I was wrong about you liking that one(sur la mer) apparently so it's up to you. Just look at the ratings on here though. That should give you a hint.

Yeah after the first few songs it was filler Heaven lol. But I guess every band is entitled one album like that. But the later ones too huh? Oh well, it was a good run anyway.

And no my opinion is that TOSOL is a lot better. But again, just one person's opinion after only listening to each album once lol.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 21:17

Yeah after the first few songs it was filler Heaven lol. But I guess every band is entitled one album like that. But the later ones too huh? Oh well, it was a good run anyway.

And no my opinion is that TOSOL is a lot better. But again, just one person's opinion after only listening to each album once lol.

Well, I personally think TOSOL is the album with filler(the last two tracks in particular). I don't really remember any filler on Sur La Mer. I think "vintage wine" was a good song and so was "deep"(the last track). I can understand people not liking some of the songs though. Everyone has different tastes. Yeah, imo don't even bother with the later albums. Check out Jeff Wayne's "war of the worlds" album instead. Justin Hayward sings a few tracks on there. You might think it's a bit cheesy(mainly because of the discoey beats which pop up at times but hey what do you want it is from 1978) but it has a pretty high rating on here so it's at least worth checking out(plus I liked it although I haven't heard it in a while).  

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 01 2020 at 21:18
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 21:31
Wow, yeah we definitely disagree on those two albums but yeah maybe after a couple more listens I'll start to like Sur la Mer better, that could certainly be. And thanks for the recommendation I'll have to check that one out sometime. I think tomorrow night I might listen to their debut album! Haven't heard that one yet. It must not be that good since it's not considered a 'core seven' album but we'll see.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 06:21

^The point is you asked a question that he answered already. That was what I was trying to let you know. 
*skipped* LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 09:52

Wow, yeah we definitely disagree on those two albums but yeah maybe after a couple more listens I'll start to like Sur la Mer better, that could certainly be. And thanks for the recommendation I'll have to check that one out sometime. I think tomorrow night I might listen to their debut album! Haven't heard that one yet. It must not be that good since it's not considered a 'core seven' album but we'll see.

Oh you mean the early one with "Go now" on it? I see it's called the Magnificent Moodies. I haven't heard it but apparently it's very different than the later stuff.  Also, don't forget the Blue Jays album too. Someone mentioned Barclay James Harvest. Strawbs are another band you might enjoy. Also, the very first Genesis album is sort of a like a weird Moody Blues. Lol. OK, that's about it. Enjoy!
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 15:32

Oh you mean the early one with "Go now" on it? I see it's called the Magnificent Moodies. I haven't heard it but apparently it's very different than the later stuff.  Also, don't forget the Blue Jays album too. Someone mentioned Barclay James Harvest. Strawbs are another band you might enjoy. Also, the very first Genesis album is sort of a like a weird Moody Blues. Lol. OK, that's about it. Enjoy!

I mentioned BJH.. poor man's moody blues and all thatWink Apparently the Moodies wanted to sign Genesis onto their Threshold label before they finally signed with Stratton-Smith on Charisma..

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 17:27
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

I mentioned BJH.. poor man's moody blues and all thatWink Apparently the Moodies wanted to sign Genesis onto their Threshold label before they finally signed with Stratton-Smith on Charisma..

I never heard that. What I heard is that they thought about signing King Crimson after seeing them right after the first KC album came out.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 19:07

Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

[QUOTE=YESESIS]Wow, yeah we definitely disagree on those two albums but yeah maybe after a couple more listens I'll start to like Sur la Mer better, that could certainly be. And thanks for the recommendation I'll have to check that one out sometime. I think tomorrow night I might listen to their debut album! Haven't heard that one yet. It must not be that good since it's not considered a 'core seven' album but we'll see.

I never heard that. What I heard is that they thought about signing King Crimson after seeing them right after the first KC album came out.

Probably everyone wanted to sign them right after that album came out lol. Anyway I've heard the first Genesis album and I even like it. And BJH is great I love them. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm off now to listen to MB first album. See how this goes.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 19:53
That album was VERY 60's lol. Definitely had some rockin and rollin in spots but overall not any great album. Such a massive improvement on the next one, Days of Future Passed(my favorite MB album so far).

One thing, if you listen to Sur la Mer and then this debut back to back you will swear it's not the same band lol.

Edited by YESESIS - April 02 2020 at 19:56
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 20:57

That album was VERY 60's lol. Definitely had some rockin and rollin in spots but overall not any great album. Such a massive improvement on the next one, Days of Future Passed(my favorite MB album so far).

One thing, if you listen to Sur la Mer and then this debut back to back you will swear it's not the same band lol.

I've never listened but assume I wouldn't like it.  I felt like most of side 1 of "On the Threshold of a Dream" seemed to be composed of leftover songs from that era!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>