Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Other Side of Life

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 21:18
The debut album is okay, but it’s pretty clear they had nothing much to separate themselves from the pack, apart from that one hit single (which isn’t even that great either, but hits are hits). Not at all bad, but I think the bold move they made in ‘67 with DoFP is one of those great “Make-or-Break, Nothing to Lose” stories in rock history. Amazingly, the album’s immense success was obviously due to to more than just the gimmick of merging rock with classical - the rock songs were incredibly strong, all of them. An amazing work, I don’t know where they got the ideas for those songs.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 21:20
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

I only listened to that album once so I don't specifically remember it, and obviously what I said about is in that other thread. But I do remember legitimately liking it and it's a 'core 7' album so must be good.

For tomorrow I think I'll listen to this Octave. The album right after the core 7 and right before the 80's stuff. I'm nervous about it, but see what happens.

for Octave, I can pretty much guarantee you’ll love Justin’s 4 songs (40% of the album). He brought his A-game for that one.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 21:23
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I only listened to that album once so I don't specifically remember it, and obviously what I said about is in that other thread. But I do remember legitimately liking it and it's a 'core 7' album so must be good.

For tomorrow I think I'll listen to this Octave. The album right after the core 7 and right before the 80's stuff. I'm nervous about it, but see what happens.

for Octave, I can pretty much guarantee you’ll love Justin’s 4 songs (40% of the album). He brought his A-game for that one.

Ok cool, so at least some of it is strong. Good enough then. And yeah I agree Days of Future Passed is truly an all time great album.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 21:25

The debut album is okay, but it’s pretty clear they had nothing much to separate themselves from the pack, apart from that one hit single (which isn’t even that great either, but hits are hits). Not at all bad, but I think the bold move they made in ‘67 with DoFP is one of those great “Make-or-Break, Nothing to Lose” stories in rock history. Amazingly, the album’s immense success was obviously due to to more than just the gimmick of merging rock with classical - the rock songs were incredibly strong, all of them. An amazing work, I don’t know where they got the ideas for those songs.

All the songs fit into the concept of the album. They got the idea for the concept of it being one day in the life of an average man. It's suppose to all take place within 24 hours("dawn is a feeling", "Tuesday afternoon", "evening time to get away" etc).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 02 2020 at 21:26
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 21:27
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

All the songs fit into the concept of the album. They got the idea for the concept of it being one day in the life of an average man. It's suppose to all take place within 24 hours("dawn is a feeling", "Tuesday afternoon", "evening time to get away" etc).

Oh s*** son, that totally makes sense.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 21:27

That album was VERY 60's lol. Definitely had some rockin and rollin in spots but overall not any great album. Such a massive improvement on the next one, Days of Future Passed(my favorite MB album so far).

One thing, if you listen to Sur la Mer and then this debut back to back you will swear it's not the same band lol.

For me DOFP is very sixties! Lol. Even the bouncy guitar sounds like it would fit in with Bat Man or a beach movie or something. Lol. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 02 2020 at 21:29
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 21:31

That album was VERY 60's lol. Definitely had some rockin and rollin in spots but overall not any great album. Such a massive improvement on the next one, Days of Future Passed(my favorite MB album so far).

One thing, if you listen to Sur la Mer and then this debut back to back you will swear it's not the same band lol.

For me DOFP is very sixties! Lol. Even the bouncy guitar sounds like it would fit in with Bat Man or a beach movie or something. Lol. 

Listen to the debut lol
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 21:34
Here's an interesting little story. I remember working at a grocery store when I was a teenager and part of my job was to pack bags into people's cars. I remember this one older woman had DOFP playing her car. I was already familiar with the album at that point and commented on what a good album it was and how she had good taste in music(or something to that affect). Her response was something like "yeah, and even I can listen to it. Even I like it." I'm still not sure what she meant by that. Of course she can listen to it. Lol. 

Anyway, I don't know if it's my personal favorite MB album but it's certainly one of them and one of their best(and one of the best prog/prog related albums in general). If someone were to ask where to start with them I very well might suggest that one. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 02 2020 at 21:36
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 21:35

Listen to the debut lol

I very well might just do that. Maybe tomorrow. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 21:40

Here's an interesting little story. I remember working at a grocery store when I was a teenager and part of my job was to pack bags into people's cars. I remember this one older woman had DOFP playing her car. I was already familiar with the album at that point and commented on what a good album it was and how she had good taste in music(or something to that affect). Her response was something like "yeah, and even I can listen to it. Even I like it." I'm still not sure what she meant by that. Of course she can listen to it. Lol. 

Anyway, I don't know if it's my personal favorite MB album but it's certainly one of them and one of their best(and one of the best prog/prog related albums in general). If someone were to ask where to start with them I very well might suggest that one. 

If someone asked me that question I would say Selling England by the Pound. The woman maybe meant that even older people like her can enjoy it. Maybe didn't quite realize it wasn't the 60's anymore. Who knows.

But as far as Days of Future Passed.. first prog album? I know the 'correct answer' is In The Court..

But that's an album I think you could make a case for.

Edit: Oh, with them. I thought you meant with prog in general. NM

Edited by YESESIS - April 02 2020 at 21:47
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 21:47

If someone asked me that question I would say Selling England by the Pound. The woman maybe meant that even older people like her can enjoy it. Maybe didn't quite realize it wasn't the 60's anymore. Who knows.

But as far as Days of Future Passed.. first prog album? I know the 'correct answer' is In The Court..

No, I meant if someone wanted to know where to start with the Moody Blues I would say DOFP. For prog in general probably "Close to the Edge." At least that's my opinion. As for first prog album there are several contenders. I find it hard to believe there's nothing you could categorize as prog before "Court" but it can be a slippery slop when trying to piece it all together and say where it all started. Days is probably a good a place as any but imo it's ulitimately more of a proto prog album. 

Another album to check out on youtube(if it's there)is the Moody Blues compilation called Prelude which collects tracks mostly from that period in between the first album and DOFP. Justin and John had just joined the band and so their "new" sound wasn't fully developed yet. Most of those were just singles and b sides that didn't make it to any proper albums at the time. One was "simple game" which was later a hit for the Four Tops.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 02 2020 at 21:53
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 21:54

No, I meant if someone wanted to know where to start with the Moody Blues I would say DOFP. For prog in general probably "Close to the Edge." At least that's my opinion. As for first prog album there are several contenders. I find it hard to believe there's nothing you could categorize as prog before "Court" but it can be a slippery slop when trying to piece it all together and say where it all started. Days is probably a good a place as any but imo it's ulitimately more of a proto prog album. 

Another album to check out on youtube(if it's there)is the Moody Blues compilation called Prelude which collects tracks mostly from that period in between the first album and DOFP. Most of those were just singles and b sides that didn't make it to any proper albums at the time. One was "simple game" which was later a hit for the Four Tops(I think).

Well if I get through their entire discography(including that Blue Jays deal) and am just craving even more moody blues lol, then I'll check that one out too. Thanks
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 21:56

Listen to the debut lol

If you do, report back with your impressions.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 21:56
^Yeah, it's not really essential but it's probably something to check out at some point. The post 80's stuff? Not so much. Lol. Maybe if you are hanging out with your mom or something. The later stuff is "mom" music. Same thing with later Genesis. Lol. 
POTA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 21:57
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

The Other Side of Life is the only Moody Blues album I don't have on CD, but I'd love to add it to my collection. I'd recommend any of their albums without exception and the Blue Jays album with Justin Hayward & John Lodge is especially good. The CD version of the album includes the bonus track "Blue Guitar"

I always hated that Blue Guitar wasn’t longer. It’s such a good tune. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 21:57

Listen to the debut lol

If you do, report back with your impressions.

I'll give you my first impression parts one, two and three. ;) Hey, this is a prog forum after all. LOL
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 22:02
Ha! Aren't you clever lol.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 15:52

Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Wow, yeah we definitely disagree on those two albums but yeah maybe after a couple more listens I'll start to like Sur la Mer better, that could certainly be. And thanks for the recommendation I'll have to check that one out sometime. I think tomorrow night I might listen to their debut album! Haven't heard that one yet. It must not be that good since it's not considered a 'core seven' album but we'll see.

Oh you mean the early one with "Go now" on it? I see it's called the Magnificent Moodies. I haven't heard it but apparently it's very different than the later stuff.  Also, don't forget the Blue Jays album too. Someone mentioned Barclay James Harvest. Strawbs are another band you might enjoy. Also, the very first Genesis album is sort of a like a weird Moody Blues. Lol. OK, that's about it. Enjoy!

I mentioned BJH.. poor man's moody blues and all thatWink Apparently the Moodies wanted to sign Genesis onto their Threshold label before they finally signed with Stratton-Smith on Charisma..

I never heard that. What I heard is that they thought about signing King Crimson after seeing them right after the first KC album came out.

I understood there was some talk about KC supporting the Moodies (and maybe a record deal) till they saw them live and were too concerned they would blow them off stageWink... they did sell KC a Mellotron, though..

Threshold showed some interest in the Genesis post FGTR demo tapes but were too slow.. Island (via Paul Samwell Smith who'd arranged for PG to play flute on Cat Steven's Katmandu) were also interested but also too slow off the mark.

POTA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 19:13
Have you guys heard "Isn't Life Strange" that was re-recorded for the 1989 Greatest Hits compilation. It makes the original off Seventh Sojourn sound terrible (in my opinion). It has added orchestral elements using the London Symphony Orchestra, and -- the most beneficial change -- is the chorus sounds good. The chorus in the original sounds really disjointed and sloppy. Never understood it. 

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 19:25
Originally posted by POTA POTA wrote:

Have you guys heard "Isn't Life Strange" that was re-recorded for the 1989 Greatest Hits compilation. It makes the original off Seventh Sojourn sound terrible (in my opinion). It has added orchestral elements using the London Symphony Orchestra, and -- the most beneficial change -- is the chorus sounds good. The chorus in the original sounds really disjointed and sloppy. Never understood it. 

They should do much stuff with the Orchestra man, it suits them. That sounded really good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>