Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Other Side of Life

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2020 at 20:09
That was groovy man! That was really surprisingly good. On that first track it almost seemed like he was trying to sound like a goat lol. But no, real good album. Very 60's sounding. Totally enjoyed that. The only song that was a little boring imo was 'The Breeze.' And I was getting a bit of a Krokodil vibe from songs like 'Old Songs New Songs' and 'Hey Mr. Policeman.'

Most interesting album I've listened to in a long time.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2020 at 20:19
Try Family Entertainment next then. It's maybe a bit more polished and while not as wild still very good. Have you heard the United States of America album yet? That's really strange. Lol.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2020 at 20:54
^^ I'm gad you tried it. I love Family Entertainment, so I do hope you check that out. To me "The Chase" sounds rather like if Peter Gabriel tried to swallow a goat, but he couldn't get that goat down his throat.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2020 at 21:16
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^^ I'm gad you tried it. I love Family Entertainment, so I do hope you check that out. To me "The Chase" sounds rather like if Peter Gabriel tried to swallow a goat, but he couldn't get that goat down his throat.

Well, I guess you do have a silly side. Peter Gabriel in the studio singing while trying to swallow a goat!!! That's f**kin hilarious! 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2020 at 21:19
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Try Family Entertainment next then. It's maybe a bit more polished and while not as wild still very good. Have you heard the United States of America album yet? That's really strange. Lol.

Ok, it seems like most people want me to listen to 'Family Entertainment' next. So be it. Hope it's as memorable as the one tonight! And no I haven't heard this 'United States of America' deal. I guess if it's strange but also good I might have to check it out as well at some point.

Edited by YESESIS - April 14 2020 at 21:21
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2020 at 22:02
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Well, I guess you do have a silly side. Peter Gabriel in the studio singing while trying to swallow a goat!!! That's f**kin hilarious! 

The mental image does make it funnier. :) Silliness is my dominant trait. Amongst my various silly sides (inside, outside, top-side, left-side, right-side, front-side etc.), my bottom-side may be the silliest of all. On second-thought, I think my backside is about the only serious side I have.

I like the United States of America, not sure how much you'd like it. It is an interesting slice of 60s experimental psychedelia. I tend to be into that kind of stuff -- reminds me of Silver Apples in part.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2020 at 05:56

Ok, it seems like most people want me to listen to 'Family Entertainment' next. So be it. Hope it's as memorable as the one tonight! And no I haven't heard this 'United States of America' deal. I guess if it's strange but also good I might have to check it out as well at some point.

Well, it has a 4.16 rating on here if that means anything to you but yeah I definitely recommend it. At this point I think you can handle it. I haven't heard Silver Apples though(apart from a track here or there on college radio). I won't throw too many more suggestions at you though(right now). Stick with Family Entertainment for now. Wink

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 15 2020 at 05:58
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2020 at 11:14

That was groovy man! That was really surprisingly good. On that first track it almost seemed like he was trying to sound like a goat lol. But no, real good album. Very 60's sounding. Totally enjoyed that. The only song that was a little boring imo was 'The Breeze.' And I was getting a bit of a Krokodil vibe from songs like 'Old Songs New Songs' and 'Hey Mr. Policeman.'

Great to hear! Music In a Dollīs House has been one of my biggest faves in last ten years (it was 2010 or 2011 I listened it first time). Family Entertainment is great follower, it has some country or more folk music influences than MIaDH, but anyway it has also many really great songs! And if you like it, then just continue with a Song For Me, Anyway and Fearless. Theyīre all really great!

I like United States Of America-album, but I donīt think it really is even near of the greatness of Family. What I recommend you next is Traffic and also their first album Mr. Fantasy is greatest from them! Although made 1967, itīs not the most sixties sounding album, really love both the music & production!
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2020 at 18:52

The mental image does make it funnier. :) Silliness is my dominant trait. Amongst my various silly sides (inside, outside, top-side, left-side, right-side, front-side etc.), my bottom-side may be the silliest of all. On second-thought, I think my backside is about the only serious side I have.

I like the United States of America, not sure how much you'd like it. It is an interesting slice of 60s experimental psychedelia. I tend to be into that kind of stuff -- reminds me of Silver Apples in part.

Oh no.. how did this guy get in charge here lol.

Kidding
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2020 at 18:55

Well, it has a 4.16 rating on here if that means anything to you but yeah I definitely recommend it. At this point I think you can handle it. I haven't heard Silver Apples though(apart from a track here or there on college radio). I won't throw too many more suggestions at you though(right now). Stick with Family Entertainment for now. Wink

Can handle it? You make it sound like it's Kid A or something lol.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2020 at 19:00
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Great to hear! Music In a Dollīs House has been one of my biggest faves in last ten years (it was 2010 or 2011 I listened it first time). Family Entertainment is great follower, it has some country or more folk music influences than MIaDH, but anyway it has also many really great songs! And if you like it, then just continue with a Song For Me, Anyway and Fearless. Theyīre all really great!

I like United States Of America-album, but I donīt think it really is even near of the greatness of Family. What I recommend you next is Traffic and also their first album Mr. Fantasy is greatest from them! Although made 1967, itīs not the most sixties sounding album, really love both the music & production!

Ok, thanks for the suggestions man. I was going to listen to Allan Parsons Project next(or Kansas). But you're saying Traffic. Hmmm, this could be a tough one. I've heard a couple songs on the radio from each of those artists but never a full album from any of them. Maybe I'll let the crowd decide.

Anyway, ok so off to listen to Family Entertainment right now! 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2020 at 19:48
Yeah man, that was good! Several good songs on that. Second Generation Woman was a pretty good rocker and Face in the Cloud was just fantastic. I liked that a lot.. right on.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2020 at 20:17

Well, now that you mention it it's kind of like the Kid A of it's time. 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2020 at 11:25

Yeah man, that was good! Several good songs on that. Second Generation Woman was a pretty good rocker and Face in the Cloud was just fantastic. I liked that a lot.. right on.
So you will like their next three albums, theyīre on the same level as Entertainment.

Alan Parsons Project is not my music at all, Kansas is not also my biggest faves, but I like it anyway. You can start from their first album, itīs already really good, but of course Leftoverture is their greatest album.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2020 at 14:22
Just dropping in to say how glad I am that you're digging Family- ive been into them since the 70's have been lucky enough to see them live and Roger Chapman with various backing line-ups too. If you like the more rocky-bluesy type tracks you may well like some of the (Chapman-Whitney) Streetwalkers albums though i'd say just listen to 'Red card' for now.

And don't miss out on the various songs that Family put out as singles which didn't feature on their (original) albums (but have probably been added as extra on subsequent CD re-issues) such as 'In my own time', "No Mules fool' and where it all started (before they recorded Music in a Dolls House) 'Scene thru the eye of a Lens' their debut single which is very Psych.

Enjoy the other Family lps; they're the best thing to come out of Leicester since the Cloth trade!

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2020 at 18:50
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Just dropping in to say how glad I am that you're digging Family- ive been into them since the 70's have been lucky enough to see them live and Roger Chapman with various backing line-ups too. If you like the more rocky-bluesy type tracks you may well like some of the (Chapman-Whitney) Streetwalkers albums though i'd say just listen to 'Red card' for now.

And don't miss out on the various songs that Family put out as singles which didn't feature on their (original) albums (but have probably been added as extra on subsequent CD re-issues) such as 'In my own time', "No Mules fool' and where it all started (before they recorded Music in a Dolls House) 'Scene thru the eye of a Lens' their debut single which is very Psych.

Enjoy the other Family lps; they're the best thing to come out of Leicester since the Cloth trade!

You sound like a true fan, thanks for the suggestions! That 'Red card' album I might have to listen to at some point here.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2020 at 18:51

Well, now that you mention it it's kind of like the Kid A of it's time. 

Now you've got my curiosity going about this album.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2020 at 18:57

So you will like their next three albums, theyīre on the same level as Entertainment.

Alan Parsons Project is not my music at all, Kansas is not also my biggest faves, but I like it anyway. You can start from their first album, itīs already really good, but of course Leftoverture is their greatest album.

Ok man, as always thanks for the recommendations. Kansas' first album it is then, as soon as I finish with these first 5 family albums here. Yeah I'm a little embarrassed, Kansas is from here and I've never listen to a whole album by them. Gonna remedy that real soon though. But in the meantime...

Off to listen to(looks like 'A Song for Me'). See how this one is.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2020 at 19:08

Ok man, as always thanks for the recommendations. Kansas' first album it is then, as soon as I finish with these first 5 family albums here. Yeah I'm a little embarrassed, Kansas is from here and I've never listen to a whole album by them. Gonna remedy that real soon though. But in the meantime...

Off to listen to(looks like 'A Song for Me'). See how this one is.

Well, I basically just meant it's very experimental for it's time. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2020 at 19:51
That was good. Maybe not QUITE as good as those first two but certainly good. The guy had the goat voice going in the first song lol. I think if I was a member of that band, when we were all in the studio recording songs like that, I'd be like, "Dude enough.. you're overshadowing the rest of us here with that goat crap. You need to stop." Anyway, I liked A Song for Sinking Lovers a lot. Had a very 'down home' sound to it. And the title track was a real rocker, good stuff.

Yeah good album all around, no real weak tracks.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>