Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Other Side of Life

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Other Side of Life
    Posted: April 23 2020 at 10:29
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Bandstand is probably their most 'even' lp and certainly their most polished- With Linda Lewis on backing vocals helping to make it their last attempt to crack America which they had notoriously had difficulty in doing (US audiences just didn't 'get' Family plus some disastrous support slots for Elton John etc plus their famous falling out with Bill Graham after Roger Chapman nearly took his head off with a manically thrown tambourine!) I think its only a movie was definitely a f**k it, its our last lp, lets get drunk and have a good time..

Roger Chapman always said that his vocal heroes were black American blues  and jazz singers, particularly Ray Charles, Louis Armstrong, Howlin' wolf, and he just thought that his singing style was emulating his heroes (as much as a white working class lad from Leicester could) and no-one told him it was an 'unusual' way to sing until Family had recorded and released Dolls house but he was very much supported and encouraged by people like John Peel. It was definitely one of the elements that led to him being a memorable frontman (with his tall stature and aggressive, tambourine destroying persona). But off stage he was quite a shy, quiet man.

Anyway, enough of all that.. im glad you've enjoyed your exploration of the world of FamilyClap

That's all very interesting. And yeah he's memorable. Clearly seems to be the one from that band that everyone is STILL talking about. If I had been in that band I wouldn't love him being the one getting almost all the attention but he's a memorable character.. It is what it is.

It was quite typical in sixties/seventies there was a frontman that got all the attention. Of course everybody else werenīt always satisfied about that (for example in Genesis). But have to remember in Family as in many other great sixties/seventies bands there were always really great musicians, without them Roger would have been nothing and those great albums didnīt exist. And also itīs very possible it was totally ok to Family members Roger got the attention.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 20:18
Hmmm.. well I guess I BASICALLY liked that. It's wasn't horrible. The only songs I really didn't like were Boots 'n' Roots and Banger. And I thought the last song(Check Out) was really good, I was jamming out to that sh**.

So all in all, reasonably decent album but I agree that it's the worst one from them. All the other 6 I really liked. Great discovery this band was!
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 19:30

Bandstand is probably their most 'even' lp and certainly their most polished- With Linda Lewis on backing vocals helping to make it their last attempt to crack America which they had notoriously had difficulty in doing (US audiences just didn't 'get' Family plus some disastrous support slots for Elton John etc plus their famous falling out with Bill Graham after Roger Chapman nearly took his head off with a manically thrown tambourine!) I think its only a movie was definitely a f**k it, its our last lp, lets get drunk and have a good time..

Roger Chapman always said that his vocal heroes were black American blues  and jazz singers, particularly Ray Charles, Louis Armstrong, Howlin' wolf, and he just thought that his singing style was emulating his heroes (as much as a white working class lad from Leicester could) and no-one told him it was an 'unusual' way to sing until Family had recorded and released Dolls house but he was very much supported and encouraged by people like John Peel. It was definitely one of the elements that led to him being a memorable frontman (with his tall stature and aggressive, tambourine destroying persona). But off stage he was quite a shy, quiet man.

Anyway, enough of all that.. im glad you've enjoyed your exploration of the world of FamilyClap

That's all very interesting. And yeah he's memorable. Clearly seems to be the one from that band that everyone is STILL talking about. If I had been in that band I wouldn't love him being the one getting almost all the attention but he's a memorable character.. It is what it is.

And uh oh, you seem to not be big on this last album here lol. Oh well I already agreed to listen to it tonight so hopefully I won't regret it too much. We'll see what happens I guess.

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 19:24
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

If you like In Rock era Deep Purple, then you'll love Broken Barricades. That was the sound Procol was going for with that album.

I listened to it already actually. I liked it but don't considered it as good as those first two albums from them(only because they are REALLY good).

I mean, Broken Barricades is good though you're right.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 19:22
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I like it quite much too, although I think itīs not fully rising into level of earlier five albums. Also for the little goat sound in vocals I have been wondering, did they try to make this album most succesfull of theirs? Anyway it did have some chart positions both in the UK & US, although really wasnīt even near of number one. BTW my fav from this album is ending piece "Top Of the Hill"

There is still one of their album left, "Itīs Only Movie", not a bad album, for example I really like "Buffet Tea For Two" but their weakest anyway.

Well I was going to stop after the one last night, but you know what... Only one album left, and I've liked all of them so far so I'm gonna do it. Tonight I finish off the Family studio albums with It's Only a Movie. Man I hope this doesn't suck lol.

Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 13:44

Yeah, I liked that a lot. The first song and especially Ready To Go were really cool. And all the songs were good. I wish this band had stayed together, they're great instrumentally. And I noticed in this album the lead singer seemed to be making a real effort to keep the 'goat stuff' to a bare minimum. There's VERY little of that in this one.
I like it quite much too, although I think itīs not fully rising into level of earlier five albums. Also for the little goat sound in vocals I have been wondering, did they try to make this album most succesfull of theirs? Anyway it did have some chart positions both in the UK & US, although really wasnīt even near of number one. BTW my fav from this album is ending piece "Top Of the Hill"

There is still one of their album left, "Itīs Only Movie", not a bad album, for example I really like "Buffet Tea For Two" but their weakest anyway.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 12:04

Really great to hear you like that album too! Donīt Wetton & Chapman do a great duet in "Spanish Tide" (specially in the beginning when Chapman hasnīt got the "goatmotor" in a full power? When liking Fearless I think you will like Bandstand too, I like it really much although it is little bit softer than their previous album. Wetton and other too anyway do great job in it also.

About the Other Side Of Life...it seems you my friend know my taste already really well (you said earlier youīre not sure do I like it). But I donīt think the main problem is not the sounds (yes, donīt like them much too), to me it sounds theyīre left their identity almost wholly (vocals are really great in this album as theyīre always in Moodies album) and made a stadium-pop album to the tastes of US mainstream music listeners (and they really succeeded, it was ninth on the billboard). Of course itīs not totally bad album, it has made really well in the production of Tony Visconti. And when youīre a big Steely Dan-fan, I really can understand why you like it. But I think that album could have made by Chicago of that time or Foreigner, I think havenīt noticed difference. I think from the old progbands only Genesis, Yes, Jethro, Caravan and Pink Floyd succeeded in a great way in the eighties, although theyīre also went really eighties sounding, they still also retain at least something from their own identity and sounding. So, I believe my Moodies new albums listening is over (wiki says Sur La Mer is also synth pop, I just canīt listen it more), but wiki also says about "Strange Times" it is acoustic (but has also heavy synth use). What do you think, should I give a try to it?

Going again a little bit Procol, I listened yesterday "Broken Barricades", my opinion hasnīt changed about it, but itīs very possible you could like it at least. Itīs the most "rock" album of Procol and there is still Trower in guitar and doing fine job, anyway that album sounds to me as they havenīt got enough ideas in songs (but there is also "Luskus Delph" that is as great as title song). And have to say there are great moments also in "Procolīs Ninth" (Pandoraīs Box is their veru classic song) & "Something Magic" that I think is lot better than itīs reputation. And really you should listen someday "In Concert With the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra".

What. A whole album of that Trower guy kicking butt on the guitar? I can't resist this.. I have to listen to that album next and I don't care. Then later I will listen to Bandstand by Family, and then that United States of America deal, and then finally... the debut album by Kansas!

As far as The Other Side of Life, I loved it for some of the very reasons that you didn't. I just thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing, idk. I didn't love Strange Times, I thought it was way too slow.. but you might like it better, who knows. Anyway, ok then I'm off now to listen to Broken Barricades.

If you like In Rock era Deep Purple, then you'll love Broken Barricades. That was the sound Procol was going for with that album.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 11:29

Yeah, I liked that a lot. The first song and especially Ready To Go were really cool. And all the songs were good. I wish this band had stayed together, they're great instrumentally. And I noticed in this album the lead singer seemed to be making a real effort to keep the 'goat stuff' to a bare minimum. There's VERY little of that in this one.

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 20:07
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 19:20

Well I enjoyed that but I certainly wouldn't call it "great." It did have some nice guitar playing from that guy, not on every song but most. The album finished strong at least, those last 3 songs I really enjoyed.

Good but not great album I would say. Far from this bands usual(very high) standards. I did basically like it though.
I liked it also more last weekened than before. But as I said before, itīs their seventies weakest album, Procolīs Ninth & Something Magic are much better, although not rise into level of their greatest albums.

I think somebody earlier mentioned Trower went after Procol in a very long solo career, I havenīt listened his albums much, but I have his third solo "For Earth Below". I have liked it quite much, it has Hendrix influenced really good guitar rock. And whatīs good think his bass player James Dewar is singing (I donīt think Robin is a very good singer, when he sang some of his songs in Procol, two in Broken Barricades).

Ok, as always thank you for the recommendations man. Sounds like there's maybe a couple more Procol albums to check out, and also maybe 1 or 2 from this Trower guy. I like his playing, so really might have to check out some of that solo stuff.

But first, tonight it's the last night of the 'goat man' and his band Family... with the album Bandstand. I've liked every album so far from these guys so let's hopefully finish strong with this one here.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 09:13

Well I enjoyed that but I certainly wouldn't call it "great." It did have some nice guitar playing from that guy, not on every song but most. The album finished strong at least, those last 3 songs I really enjoyed.

Good but not great album I would say. Far from this bands usual(very high) standards. I did basically like it though.
I liked it also more last weekened than before. But as I said before, itīs their seventies weakest album, Procolīs Ninth & Something Magic are much better, although not rise into level of their greatest albums.

I think somebody earlier mentioned Trower went after Procol in a very long solo career, I havenīt listened his albums much, but I have his third solo "For Earth Below". I have liked it quite much, it has Hendrix influenced really good guitar rock. And whatīs good think his bass player James Dewar is singing (I donīt think Robin is a very good singer, when he sang some of his songs in Procol, two in Broken Barricades).
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2020 at 13:24

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2020 at 12:40

Really great to hear you like that album too! Donīt Wetton & Chapman do a great duet in "Spanish Tide" (specially in the beginning when Chapman hasnīt got the "goatmotor" in a full power? When liking Fearless I think you will like Bandstand too, I like it really much although it is little bit softer than their previous album. Wetton and other too anyway do great job in it also.

About the Other Side Of Life...it seems you my friend know my taste already really well (you said earlier youīre not sure do I like it). But I donīt think the main problem is not the sounds (yes, donīt like them much too), to me it sounds theyīre left their identity almost wholly (vocals are really great in this album as theyīre always in Moodies album) and made a stadium-pop album to the tastes of US mainstream music listeners (and they really succeeded, it was ninth on the billboard). Of course itīs not totally bad album, it has made really well in the production of Tony Visconti. And when youīre a big Steely Dan-fan, I really can understand why you like it. But I think that album could have made by Chicago of that time or Foreigner, I think havenīt noticed difference. I think from the old progbands only Genesis, Yes, Jethro, Caravan and Pink Floyd succeeded in a great way in the eighties, although theyīre also went really eighties sounding, they still also retain at least something from their own identity and sounding. So, I believe my Moodies new albums listening is over (wiki says Sur La Mer is also synth pop, I just canīt listen it more), but wiki also says about "Strange Times" it is acoustic (but has also heavy synth use). What do you think, should I give a try to it?

Going again a little bit Procol, I listened yesterday "Broken Barricades", my opinion hasnīt changed about it, but itīs very possible you could like it at least. Itīs the most "rock" album of Procol and there is still Trower in guitar and doing fine job, anyway that album sounds to me as they havenīt got enough ideas in songs (but there is also "Luskus Delph" that is as great as title song). And have to say there are great moments also in "Procolīs Ninth" (Pandoraīs Box is their veru classic song) & "Something Magic" that I think is lot better than itīs reputation. And really you should listen someday "In Concert With the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra".

What. A whole album of that Trower guy kicking butt on the guitar? I can't resist this.. I have to listen to that album next and I don't care. Then later I will listen to Bandstand by Family, and then that United States of America deal, and then finally... the debut album by Kansas!

As far as The Other Side of Life, I loved it for some of the very reasons that you didn't. I just thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing, idk. I didn't love Strange Times, I thought it was way too slow.. but you might like it better, who knows. Anyway, ok then I'm off now to listen to Broken Barricades.

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 23:01

I liked that album. It did have a few songs I wasn't crazy about though, like Sat'd'y Barfly and Children. But many of the other songs were very very good. And I've noticed this band is excellent musically(instrumentally).

So yeah I would say another good album from them.

Edited by Mortte - April 19 2020 at 00:34
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 20:41
I liked that album. It did have a few songs I wasn't crazy about though, like Sat'd'y Barfly and Children. But many of the other songs were very very good. And I've noticed this band is excellent musically(instrumentally).

So yeah I would say another good album from them.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 19:53
Ok, off now to listen to 'Fearless'
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 19:52
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

They could sing "Me heart will go baby, baby, baby onnnn".

Seriously, I like Saga's first album particularly, and used to have the LP of Triumph's Rock & Roll Machine with the silver wax pressing. Lost to a flood unfortunately while I was away teaching in Japan.

It's like baby baby ohhh it's like baby baby nooo.. lmao. Teaching in freaking Japan, that's impressive man. The only place I've ever been to outside of the States is Ontario Canada. And the furthest place I've been to within the States is San Francisco California. You're clearly much more of a world traveler than I am. Getting over to Europe sometime before I die is on my bucket list though, much less Asia lol.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 19:45

I knew (but then i'm a fan-boy.. err, old man!)Wink I think that's a very good sum-up of 'Anyway' as an album and the live side shows what Roger Chapman could & did do regularly with his voice (Epiglottis shredding!) along with tambourine destruction on a epic scale.. but its a patchy recording, muffly and poorly mixed.. Family were like VDGG in that their live shows could be tight and sparking with energy when the JuJu was right and disorganized and barely listenable-to when it wasn't.. But they always had a good connection with their fans, were never aloof and contrived so mostly forgiven when a performance didn't go right.. they were provincial scruffs rather than privately educated or Art school boys so had an honesty which endeared them to many but ultimately held them back.

The studio side contains my favourite Family material, just masterful stuff.. the live side does let it down a bit; not so much in spirit or content but performance, recording and mixing.

Have you listened to 'Song for me' yet? by a very small fraction, its my favourite Family lp of them allClap

Yes, I talked about it in the very last post on page 9 of this thread. Overall I think I've liked those first 2 albums the best so far from them, but the next 2 are just BARELY those them to my ears. Really all four have been very good. Definitely impressed with this band so far.

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 19:39

Well, I really havenīt listened all the respected bands from my country and I think there are lot more in yours...(but I have listened one Nightwish album whole through, so I can really say itīs not my band, also have to say I couldnīt listen any their album through where is Tarja in vocals).

Procol has been very special band to me also from the eighties (I believe I have heard them already in the seventies because my brother has that "In Concert"-album) just like Moodies. I donīt think itīs ridicilous to compare Moodies or Procol to Beatles, I think both bands were influenced by Beatles and also continued very much from The Beatles Revolver sounds into their own direction making very ambitious pop music.

Hope you will listen also "Fearless" from Family, it also may have songs you donīt like, but other hand also songs like "Between Blue and Me", "Spanish Tide" & "Burning Bridges" that I really think is those of the greatest ones in Family songs! Also, if didnīt know it yet, there became John Wetton in bass, second vocals (really great duet in "Spanish Tide"), guitars & keys. Wetton is also in "Bandstand" that is not bad album too, but somehow I think they little bit lost the power of theirs in it. And "Itīs Only Movie" is not totally bad album, but weakest of theirs. Have to say really great cover in the original "Bandstand" vinyl, as there is also in "Fearless" and "Anyway". Also in original "Family Entertainment" has a really big poster in it (got it).

I am finally going to listen "the Other Side Of Life" first thing in this morning.

Oh that guy.. from Asia and of course KC. Singing a duet with the goat man? This I've gotta here now. Hahahahaha!

Ok well definitely, I'll listen to that deal tonight then. Btw what did you think of The Other Side of Life? I hope it wasn't too 80's sounding for you.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 08:49

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

That album was really good. Some weaker tracks, and in some of the live ones he had the goat voice going big time lol. Part of the Load was funky and really good. Loved the violin in Normans. And great guitar jamming in Lives and Ladies. So, a little uneven but all in all another very good album from this band. 

You need to start saying which album you are referring to when you post these things. Wink I've noticed you do that a lot and leaves some of us wondering what the heck you just listened to. Lol. 

I said a couple posts up from that.. sorry.

I knew (but then i'm a fan-boy.. err, old man!)Wink I think that's a very good sum-up of 'Anyway' as an album and the live side shows what Roger Chapman could & did do regularly with his voice (Epiglottis shredding!) along with tambourine destruction on a epic scale.. but its a patchy recording, muffly and poorly mixed.. Family were like VDGG in that their live shows could be tight and sparking with energy when the JuJu was right and disorganized and barely listenable-to when it wasn't.. But they always had a good connection with their fans, were never aloof and contrived so mostly forgiven when a performance didn't go right.. they were provincial scruffs rather than privately educated or Art school boys so had an honesty which endeared them to many but ultimately held them back.

The studio side contains my favourite Family material, just masterful stuff.. the live side does let it down a bit; not so much in spirit or content but performance, recording and mixing.

Have you listened to 'Song for me' yet? by a very small fraction, its my favourite Family lp of them allClap
Great there are at least few pieces from energetic Family shows in youtube:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>