Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Other Side of Life

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 07:45
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Yeah man, that was good! Several good songs on that. Second Generation Woman was a pretty good rocker and Face in the Cloud was just fantastic. I liked that a lot.. right on.
So you will like their next three albums, theyīre on the same level as Entertainment.

Alan Parsons Project is not my music at all, Kansas is not also my biggest faves, but I like it anyway. You can start from their first album, itīs already really good, but of course Leftoverture is their greatest album.

Ok man, as always thanks for the recommendations. Kansas' first album it is then, as soon as I finish with these first 5 family albums here. Yeah I'm a little embarrassed, Kansas is from here and I've never listen to a whole album by them. Gonna remedy that real soon though. But in the meantime...

Off to listen to(looks like 'A Song for Me'). See how this one is.
I donīt think you should be embarrassed for not listening Kansas. I donīt think itīs the most important band in the world, although itīs quite good.

I am going back to Procol a little, when you were interested about Moodies new stuff also, I really recommend you to listen someday also Procolīs last album (Novum). Itīs really not as great as their greatest albums, but anyway decent album from the old progband. Also, it became strictly 50 years after their first album, also in the cover there are influences from first album...have to say also "the Wellīs On Fire" is not bad album, some really good songs into it too!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 07:53
I guess I should feel embarassed for not really knowing Procol Harum other than the radio songs. I guess there's a lot of well known bands on here who have slipped under peoples radar.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 07:58
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Yeah man, that was good! Several good songs on that. Second Generation Woman was a pretty good rocker and Face in the Cloud was just fantastic. I liked that a lot.. right on.
So you will like their next three albums, theyīre on the same level as Entertainment.

Alan Parsons Project is not my music at all, Kansas is not also my biggest faves, but I like it anyway. You can start from their first album, itīs already really good, but of course Leftoverture is their greatest album.

Ok man, as always thanks for the recommendations. Kansas' first album it is then, as soon as I finish with these first 5 family albums here. Yeah I'm a little embarrassed, Kansas is from here and I've never listen to a whole album by them. Gonna remedy that real soon though. But in the meantime...

Well, I basically just meant it's very experimental for it's time. 
Are you really saying 1968 wasnīt a year of experimental albums? That album is not the most pop-one album of that year, but really not also the most experimental. If I had to choose the most experimental album from those times (from the popular music), I think it would be the Red Krayolaīs Coconut Hotel. The record company thought then it was so uncommercial that they refused to release it. Band had to record their second album almost new, but also "God Bless the Red Krayola and All Who Sail With It" really isnīt the most pop-orient album. Coconut Hotel got itīs first release in the nineties.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 08:01

I guess I should feel embarassed for not really knowing Procol Harum other than the radio songs. I guess there's a lot of well known bands on here who have slipped under peoples radar.
Well, I quess you really not the only one. As said, Procol has always been really underrated. But on the other hand you just havenīt got enough time to listen everything you "should", you have to choose.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 19:14

I donīt think you should be embarrassed for not listening Kansas. I donīt think itīs the most important band in the world, although itīs quite good.

I am going back to Procol a little, when you were interested about Moodies new stuff also, I really recommend you to listen someday also Procolīs last album (Novum). Itīs really not as great as their greatest albums, but anyway decent album from the old progband. Also, it became strictly 50 years after their first album, also in the cover there are influences from first album...have to say also "the Wellīs On Fire" is not bad album, some really good songs into it too!

I'm just embarrassed because they're from my country, but anyway I'll listen to their albums here soon enough. And thanks for the suggestions of more Procol Harum albums to listen to sometime. I think that band is special, and I don't say that about a lot of bands. Steely Dan I definitely think is special, and obviously The Beatles.. so there you go. But listening to those first two Procol albums, yeah I got chills a little bit.

Anyway, what have we got for tonight here... Ok an album called 'Anyway'
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 19:23
Hey I'm from Canada and I've never listened to Rush...

Just kidding. I have listened to Rush, and Justin Bieber, and Celine Dion. Shame they never collaborated. I would have liked to hear Bieber, Geddy Lee and Celine Dion singing Bastille Day together.

Edited by Logan - April 17 2020 at 19:23
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 20:14
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Just kidding. I have listened to Rush, and Justin Bieber, and Celine Dion. Shame they never collaborated. I would have liked to hear Bieber, Geddy Lee and Celine Dion singing Bastille Day together.

Haha, that would be cool. Actually just a duet with Bieber and Celine Dion would be entertaining I think lol, I'd like to see that. But anyway, you gotta get Saga and Triumph in there too somehow.. come on now.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 20:18
That album was really good. Some weaker tracks, and in some of the live ones he had the goat voice going big time lol. Part of the Load was funky and really good. Loved the violin in Normans. And great guitar jamming in Lives and Ladies. So, a little uneven but all in all another very good album from this band. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 20:29

Are you really saying 1968 wasnīt a year of experimental albums? That album is not the most pop-one album of that year, but really not also the most experimental. If I had to choose the most experimental album from those times (from the popular music), I think it would be the Red Krayolaīs Coconut Hotel. The record company thought then it was so uncommercial that they refused to release it. Band had to record their second album almost new, but also "God Bless the Red Krayola and All Who Sail With It" really isnīt the most pop-orient album. Coconut Hotel got itīs first release in the nineties.

No, I'm saying just the opposite actually. However, yeah compared to other albums from 1968 the United States album was more experimental. That's how wacked out the album is(but in a good way). I haven't heard everything but from what I do know it's more experimental. Psych imo was not necessarily experimental but this one was. Ok, no more discussion about it until you actually listen to it. ;)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 20:31

That album was really good. Some weaker tracks, and in some of the live ones he had the goat voice going big time lol. Part of the Load was funky and really good. Loved the violin in Normans. And great guitar jamming in Lives and Ladies. So, a little uneven but all in all another very good album from this band. 

You need to start saying which album you are referring to when you post these things. Wink I've noticed you do that a lot and leaves some of us wondering what the heck you just listened to. Lol. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 20:37

You need to start saying which album you are referring to when you post these things. Wink I've noticed you do that a lot and leaves some of us wondering what the heck you just listened to. Lol. 

I said a couple posts up from that.. sorry.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 22:35

Haha, that would be cool. Actually just a duet with Bieber and Celine Dion would be entertaining I think lol, I'd like to see that. But anyway, you gotta get Saga and Triumph in there too somehow.. come on now.

They could sing "Me heart will go baby, baby, baby onnnn".

Seriously, I like Saga's first album particularly, and used to have the LP of Triumph's Rock & Roll Machine with the silver wax pressing. Lost to a flood unfortunately while I was away teaching in Japan.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 22:57

No, I'm saying just the opposite actually. However, yeah compared to other albums from 1968 the United States album was more experimental. That's how wacked out the album is(but in a good way). I haven't heard everything but from what I do know it's more experimental. Psych imo was not necessarily experimental but this one was. Ok, no more discussion about it until you actually listen to it. ;)
I am not sure, to whom youīre talking to, but I WAS HEARD IT, before you mentioned whole album. But because of your enthusiasm of it, I listened it again yesterday. To me it sounds quite typical album of 1968, lots of beautiful melodies (really like Dorothyīs voice), of course there are those calliopesīs and ring modulators everybody not used those days. Have to also say itīs very sixties sounding album. What I also know about that album, it wasnīt influental in those days and not been also after that (yeah I know there are todayīs reviewer who think itīs something extraordinary, more I think it of todayīs phenomena, somebodyīs just really love to find those "hidden treasures"). I have never been big Radiohead-fan, but I understand Kid A was in itīs time really going into new direction and really brave album from very popular band (like I think for example Sgt. Pepper was in itīs time). Have to say I donīt understand your comparison about United States album to that.

Here are some 1968 albums (already mentioned Red Krayola that I think is much more experimental) that I think are as experimental as United States, but lot greater (really experimental was a big part of psych music in those days, so I could put there lot more a little bit less experimental albums):
the Jimi Hendrix Experience: Electric Ladyland
Pink Floyd: a Saucerful Of Secrets (I believe this great album is Floydīs most underrated)
Velvet Underground: White Light/White Heat
the Mothers Of Invention: Weīre Only In It for the Money
Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band: Strictly Personal
Dr. John: Gris-Gris (this was really an album that went those days into directions never heard)
the Deviants: Disposable (this really underrated great band made even more experimental debut album year before)
the Grateful Dead: the Anthem Of the Sun (really underrated album with an side long, experimental epic, experimental direction also continues in the b-side)
Vanilla Fudge: the Beat Goes On (not really the greatest album of the band, but anyway really experimental, not include any full songs, instead sound collages)
Vanilla Fudge: Renaissance (again really underrated, very dark album, kind of predoommetal album)
Iron Butterfly: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida (a-side is not very experimental, but b-side with itīs sidelong epic, one of the firsts in pop music really is!)
Procol Harum: a Shine On Brightly (In Held Twas In I also almost sidelong epic with very experimental speech-parts and sound effects in it)
the Nice: Ars Longa Vita Brevis (again side long epic with experimental elements, those elements also in a-side songs)
H.P. Lovecraft: H.P. Lovecraft II (again really underrated, great and experimental album)
the Soft Machine: s/t (I donīt have to say nothing about this, everybody who has heard it known how experimental it was specially those times).

I can make same kind of list also from 1967. I believe you havenīt heard all these albums I mentioned from 1968, so I hope you will listen them and then we can continue talking about "the United States Of America"-album.

Edited by Mortte - April 18 2020 at 04:24
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 23:16

I'm just embarrassed because they're from my country, but anyway I'll listen to their albums here soon enough. And thanks for the suggestions of more Procol Harum albums to listen to sometime. I think that band is special, and I don't say that about a lot of bands. Steely Dan I definitely think is special, and obviously The Beatles.. so there you go. But listening to those first two Procol albums, yeah I got chills a little bit.

Anyway, what have we got for tonight here... Ok an album called 'Anyway'
Well, I really havenīt listened all the respected bands from my country and I think there are lot more in yours...(but I have listened one Nightwish album whole through, so I can really say itīs not my band, also have to say I couldnīt listen any their album through where is Tarja in vocals).

Procol has been very special band to me also from the eighties (I believe I have heard them already in the seventies because my brother has that "In Concert"-album) just like Moodies. I donīt think itīs ridicilous to compare Moodies or Procol to Beatles, I think both bands were influenced by Beatles and also continued very much from The Beatles Revolver sounds into their own direction making very ambitious pop music.

Hope you will listen also "Fearless" from Family, it also may have songs you donīt like, but other hand also songs like "Between Blue and Me", "Spanish Tide" & "Burning Bridges" that I really think is those of the greatest ones in Family songs! Also, if didnīt know it yet, there became John Wetton in bass, second vocals (really great duet in "Spanish Tide"), guitars & keys. Wetton is also in "Bandstand" that is not bad album too, but somehow I think they little bit lost the power of theirs in it. And "Itīs Only Movie" is not totally bad album, but weakest of theirs. Have to say really great cover in the original "Bandstand" vinyl, as there is also in "Fearless" and "Anyway". Also in original "Family Entertainment" has a really big poster in it (got it).

I am finally going to listen "the Other Side Of Life" first thing in this morning.

Edited by Mortte - April 17 2020 at 23:18
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 07:19

I knew (but then i'm a fan-boy.. err, old man!)Wink I think that's a very good sum-up of 'Anyway' as an album and the live side shows what Roger Chapman could & did do regularly with his voice (Epiglottis shredding!) along with tambourine destruction on a epic scale.. but its a patchy recording, muffly and poorly mixed.. Family were like VDGG in that their live shows could be tight and sparking with energy when the JuJu was right and disorganized and barely listenable-to when it wasn't.. But they always had a good connection with their fans, were never aloof and contrived so mostly forgiven when a performance didn't go right.. they were provincial scruffs rather than privately educated or Art school boys so had an honesty which endeared them to many but ultimately held them back.

The studio side contains my favourite Family material, just masterful stuff.. the live side does let it down a bit; not so much in spirit or content but performance, recording and mixing.

Have you listened to 'Song for me' yet? by a very small fraction, its my favourite Family lp of them allClap

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 08:49
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

I knew (but then i'm a fan-boy.. err, old man!)Wink I think that's a very good sum-up of 'Anyway' as an album and the live side shows what Roger Chapman could & did do regularly with his voice (Epiglottis shredding!) along with tambourine destruction on a epic scale.. but its a patchy recording, muffly and poorly mixed.. Family were like VDGG in that their live shows could be tight and sparking with energy when the JuJu was right and disorganized and barely listenable-to when it wasn't.. But they always had a good connection with their fans, were never aloof and contrived so mostly forgiven when a performance didn't go right.. they were provincial scruffs rather than privately educated or Art school boys so had an honesty which endeared them to many but ultimately held them back.

The studio side contains my favourite Family material, just masterful stuff.. the live side does let it down a bit; not so much in spirit or content but performance, recording and mixing.

Have you listened to 'Song for me' yet? by a very small fraction, its my favourite Family lp of them allClap
Great there are at least few pieces from energetic Family shows in youtube:
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 19:39

Well, I really havenīt listened all the respected bands from my country and I think there are lot more in yours...(but I have listened one Nightwish album whole through, so I can really say itīs not my band, also have to say I couldnīt listen any their album through where is Tarja in vocals).

Procol has been very special band to me also from the eighties (I believe I have heard them already in the seventies because my brother has that "In Concert"-album) just like Moodies. I donīt think itīs ridicilous to compare Moodies or Procol to Beatles, I think both bands were influenced by Beatles and also continued very much from The Beatles Revolver sounds into their own direction making very ambitious pop music.

Hope you will listen also "Fearless" from Family, it also may have songs you donīt like, but other hand also songs like "Between Blue and Me", "Spanish Tide" & "Burning Bridges" that I really think is those of the greatest ones in Family songs! Also, if didnīt know it yet, there became John Wetton in bass, second vocals (really great duet in "Spanish Tide"), guitars & keys. Wetton is also in "Bandstand" that is not bad album too, but somehow I think they little bit lost the power of theirs in it. And "Itīs Only Movie" is not totally bad album, but weakest of theirs. Have to say really great cover in the original "Bandstand" vinyl, as there is also in "Fearless" and "Anyway". Also in original "Family Entertainment" has a really big poster in it (got it).

I am finally going to listen "the Other Side Of Life" first thing in this morning.

Oh that guy.. from Asia and of course KC. Singing a duet with the goat man? This I've gotta here now. Hahahahaha!

Ok well definitely, I'll listen to that deal tonight then. Btw what did you think of The Other Side of Life? I hope it wasn't too 80's sounding for you.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 19:45
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Yes, I talked about it in the very last post on page 9 of this thread. Overall I think I've liked those first 2 albums the best so far from them, but the next 2 are just BARELY those them to my ears. Really all four have been very good. Definitely impressed with this band so far.

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 19:52

They could sing "Me heart will go baby, baby, baby onnnn".

Seriously, I like Saga's first album particularly, and used to have the LP of Triumph's Rock & Roll Machine with the silver wax pressing. Lost to a flood unfortunately while I was away teaching in Japan.

It's like baby baby ohhh it's like baby baby nooo.. lmao. Teaching in freaking Japan, that's impressive man. The only place I've ever been to outside of the States is Ontario Canada. And the furthest place I've been to within the States is San Francisco California. You're clearly much more of a world traveler than I am. Getting over to Europe sometime before I die is on my bucket list though, much less Asia lol.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 19:53
Ok, off now to listen to 'Fearless'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>