Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Other Side of Life

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 20:22
I liked that, though not as much as the first 2, Grand Hotel, or Exotic Birds and Fruit. That guitarist was JAMMING OUT on the first track.. right on. The songs that were good on that album were very good(imo) but it had a few weaker tracks. All in all definitely a good album, just not up to the highest standards of this band(which are really high).
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 19:32
Yeah I'll definitely start with Music in a Doll's House. That seems to be what most people are recommending here. What did you think of The Present?

Alright then off to listen to Home and that will wrap up this band for now. Then tomorrow night it's onto Family!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 23:16
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

About Grand Hotel I love them all, also "Robertīs Box", no weak track on that album! But "Shine On Brightly" is still my fave, although "Wish Me Will" is little bit mediocre, the rest itīs just pure genius (I listened album again yesterday and Godīs itīs still so great!). Comparing it to their first album I think there are all the main elements of Procol, but theyīre still in "seed", in that marvellous second album they blossom! To me "In Held Twas In I" rise into level of "Atom Heart", "Thick as a Brick" & "Supperīs Ready"! I think itīs very rare first album is the greatest, mostly itīs the fifth (Atom Heart, Thick as a Brick) or even sixth (Lamb), but there are some bands that have done it: Family, Traffic (excellent band to you also if you havenīt listened them), Magma & Comus.

I think you should absolutely listen next "Exotic Birds and Fruit" from them! Itīs almost as great as Grand Hotel, really close to it, and I believe there are people who love it even more than Grand Hotel. There are also quite much that funky stuff. And I think you should listen "Home" also someday, when I now looked the song list only opening track "Whisky Train" is little weak.

Thanx about Moodies aswering, eighties sounds are not always problem to me, I am now much more used to them than in the eighties. Going to listen those three albums some of these days (still lots of all kind of listening, I think I will start today from Whoīs Tommyīs Symphony version).

Idk, Supper's Ready is an all time prog Masterpiece. And I don't say that lightly, it's pretty much top of the top for me. Anyway thanks for the two more Procol recommendations. I think I'll listen to those and then.. on to this 'Family.' Need to get started with them in a couple days here.

So ok, off to listen to Exotic Birds and Fruit then. Hope it's good.
Supperīs is to me also all time prog masterpiece, but so is "In Held", "Thick" and "Atom". I believe "In Held" will open you more when you listened it more, really it wasnīt at first that great to me (like you I was little bit wondering so much speaking into it, it was from that "Symphony"-album I listened it first, I think studio version is greater, but anyway I recommend you to listen that album also, there are really great versions of "Conquistador" and those others shorter pieces also).

I was quite sure you will like Exotic, also I believe you will like Home (donīt care about that opening "jam").

About Family I also recommended you to start "Music In a Dollīs House". Itīs really great, a masterpiece of theirs, I am not sure how many times I have listened it in 2010 decade and just enjoyed it every time! But donīt scare the first piece "the Chase", because Roger put the full power of his very special voice into it! Because right after that become "Mellowing Grey" that is one of the most beautiful pieces in the world! But if you donīt like this album, I think you should then check "Fearless", itīs little bit different both in sounds and music.

I think I will start this day with "The Present", going to listen also "A Salty Dog" today!

Edited by Mortte - April 12 2020 at 23:18
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 21:27
Strong as Samson is one of my favorite Procol Songs, but overall I don't like the production on that album.  I usually don't care so much about production but it seems to have a lot of distortion
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 19:52
Well that was really great. I'm starting to take this band very seriously now. The only song I wasn't wild about was The Thin End of the Wedge. The rest of the songs were real good, especially As Strong As Samson, Monsieur R. Monde, and Fresh Fruit. Really enjoyed that album a lot, that was totally jammin!

Edited by YESESIS - April 12 2020 at 19:53
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 19:05

About Grand Hotel I love them all, also "Robertīs Box", no weak track on that album! But "Shine On Brightly" is still my fave, although "Wish Me Will" is little bit mediocre, the rest itīs just pure genius (I listened album again yesterday and Godīs itīs still so great!). Comparing it to their first album I think there are all the main elements of Procol, but theyīre still in "seed", in that marvellous second album they blossom! To me "In Held Twas In I" rise into level of "Atom Heart", "Thick as a Brick" & "Supperīs Ready"! I think itīs very rare first album is the greatest, mostly itīs the fifth (Atom Heart, Thick as a Brick) or even sixth (Lamb), but there are some bands that have done it: Family, Traffic (excellent band to you also if you havenīt listened them), Magma & Comus.

I think you should absolutely listen next "Exotic Birds and Fruit" from them! Itīs almost as great as Grand Hotel, really close to it, and I believe there are people who love it even more than Grand Hotel. There are also quite much that funky stuff. And I think you should listen "Home" also someday, when I now looked the song list only opening track "Whisky Train" is little weak.

Thanx about Moodies aswering, eighties sounds are not always problem to me, I am now much more used to them than in the eighties. Going to listen those three albums some of these days (still lots of all kind of listening, I think I will start today from Whoīs Tommyīs Symphony version).

Idk, Supper's Ready is an all time prog Masterpiece. And I don't say that lightly, it's pretty much top of the top for me. Anyway thanks for the two more Procol recommendations. I think I'll listen to those and then.. on to this 'Family.' Need to get started with them in a couple days here.

So ok, off to listen to Exotic Birds and Fruit then. Hope it's good.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 18:58
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Wow, I liked that a lot. That had kind of a funky, jamming side to it. Man when this band is on they are really hard to beat. The only song on the whole thing that I wasn't wild about was the last one 'Robert's Box.' But I enjoyed the heck out of the other songs.

And A Salty Dog I may grow to love in time, just didn't totally click with me that first time last night. This one did, big time. Not sure where to go now with this band.. or maybe I should just go on to this 'Family' deal now.

If youre going to listen to Family for the first time, be aware that Roger Chapman's vocals are..er.. a bit out of the ordinary to say the least! Whereas the Moodies and Procol utilized a more pastoral, orchestral feel laced with a pop sensibility. Family tended to meld more folky, jazzy elements (even trad jazz and skiffle elements) all mixed up with (slightly rougher) 'trespass' era Genesis vibe, a dollop of soul/blues (in the vocals) and lots of mixed up instrumentation (lots of 12 strings played together, flute, violin, vibraphone etc) a hint of british psychedelia and a smattering of hairy-arsed rock.

Where to start? well at the beginning- Music in a dolls house (which has the heaviest psychedelic influence) then on to Family Entertainment, Song for me and Anyway. These 3 represent Family at their most 'Progressive' and diverse in sound and texture; rough round the edges but sparking with energy. After that Fearless & Bandstand are super albums but a little more polished and less diverse in sound. The final lp Its only a Movie represents their final incarnation of a good time rock n roll band in vein like 'The Faces'.. a good album for what it is but certainly their least progressive.

Give em a go!Smile if ive completely misinterpreted your comment on ''going to this 'Family' deal'' then please excuse me for my impetuous interruption!Wink

No, you didn't misinterpret anything. And thanks a lot for the insights! I'll definitely get to this band as soon as I'm finished with Procol Harum here.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 18:54
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I first heard of Family in 1983 when Mike Oldfield, who had become almost Alan Parsons-like in his ability to recruit the right guest vocalists for the right songs, engaged Chapman on this excellent number from "Crises"

Interesting, that didn't sound anything like what I expect from Mike Oldfield(Tubular Bells, Ommadawn).

And the singer didn't sound horrible! Yay
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 09:56
I first heard of Family in 1983 when Mike Oldfield, who had become almost Alan Parsons-like in his ability to recruit the right guest vocalists for the right songs, engaged Chapman on this excellent number from "Crises"

Edited by kenethlevine - April 12 2020 at 09:57
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 08:42

Wow, I liked that a lot. That had kind of a funky, jamming side to it. Man when this band is on they are really hard to beat. The only song on the whole thing that I wasn't wild about was the last one 'Robert's Box.' But I enjoyed the heck out of the other songs.

And A Salty Dog I may grow to love in time, just didn't totally click with me that first time last night. This one did, big time. Not sure where to go now with this band.. or maybe I should just go on to this 'Family' deal now.

If youre going to listen to Family for the first time, be aware that Roger Chapman's vocals are..er.. a bit out of the ordinary to say the least! Whereas the Moodies and Procol utilized a more pastoral, orchestral feel laced with a pop sensibility. Family tended to meld more folky, jazzy elements (even trad jazz and skiffle elements) all mixed up with (slightly rougher) 'trespass' era Genesis vibe, a dollop of soul/blues (in the vocals) and lots of mixed up instrumentation (lots of 12 strings played together, flute, violin, vibraphone etc) a hint of british psychedelia and a smattering of hairy-arsed rock.

Where to start? well at the beginning- Music in a dolls house (which has the heaviest psychedelic influence) then on to Family Entertainment, Song for me and Anyway. These 3 represent Family at their most 'Progressive' and diverse in sound and texture; rough round the edges but sparking with energy. After that Fearless & Bandstand are super albums but a little more polished and less diverse in sound. The final lp Its only a Movie represents their final incarnation of a good time rock n roll band in vein like 'The Faces'.. a good album for what it is but certainly their least progressive.

Give em a go!Smile if ive completely misinterpreted your comment on ''going to this 'Family' deal'' then please excuse me for my impetuous interruption!Wink

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2020 at 23:50

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2020 at 20:08

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2020 at 19:15

Have to say I havenīt long time heard such a horrible song from an prog artist as "Gemini Dream" (I have already managed to forget the horrors of ELP:s In the Hot S**t). Almost stop listening the whole album. But I am glad direction went much better in next songs. I prefer Octave lot more. "The Voice" was as amazing as in the eighties when I heard it last time. Anyway from this thread I believe next three albums are better?

BTW I listened Procolīs first after Voyager lots because your enthusiasm about it, oh it sounded so great after that Moodies album, but on the other hand also Procol really havenīt succeeded well in the nineties with their "the Prodigal Stranger"-album (itīs their weakest). Going to listen all the Procolīs albums in order!

About Procol I think you should go next straight to "Grand Hotel". "Home" is as good as "a Salty Dog", but "Broken Barricades" is their weakest seventies album although title song is really great in this album too.

The Present I do believe you'll like, it's very good and consistent. The Other Side of Life is. obviously, the title of this thread(and my favorite Moody Blues 80's album) but I'm not sure you'll love it that much, some of the songs sound very 80's. Sur la Mer I didn't love, but you might. 

Ok then, taking your advice here I'm going straight to Grand Hotel.. right now. See how this goes.

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2020 at 19:06

Oh mercy that was good. That was too good. The only songs I wasn't wild about were 'Mabel' and 'Good Captain Clack.' And some real fine jamming on 'Cerdes' 'A Christmas Camel' and 'Repent Walpurgis.'

All in all a phenomenal album.  

some people have a tendency to state that the first albums by an artist are the best and it's downhill from there, but I am not one of those people in general.  However, in the case of Procol, I think the first is far and away the best.  It's amazing that apparently they rushed it out on the success of A Whiter Shade and itw as so awesome

Oh wow, it was a rush job. They must have just been in a zone then.. caught lightning in a bottle.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2020 at 02:26

Well I liked that, but definitely not as much as those first two albums. It was a little frustrating because the songs were nice, and even good but I know they're capable of so much more lol. Oh well, basically good but not great album imo. The title track and 'Devil Came From Kansas' were both very good. Pretty much the rest of the songs were just pleasant.

I love the closing track, sung by Matthew Fisher whose voice is surprisingly good

Interesting, I noticed the keyboards in that one sounded a little like Whiter Shade of Pale.
To me also "Wreck Of the Hesperus" and "All This And More" have always been favorite Procol songs together with those you already mentioned. And "the Milk Of Human Kindness" is decent too. Rest is just ok songs. Anyway this album has always had a warm place into my heart, itīs kind of Procol`s "Meddle". Almost every song comes from some different music style. And one reason why I love 60/70 albums so much is they are much versatile in many cases, today albums are just planned too congruent.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2020 at 00:24

In Finland in that "Nostalgia"-channel they play also "Jeepster" with "Get It On". But nothing more. And from Procol they play just "Whiter" and "Homburg". And from Moodies just "Nights In White Satin" & "For My Lady". Todayīs radiochannels are just so boring!

Great to hear you loved also Procolīs first! I have also really always loved that, but really it isnīt album I will recommend to proglisteners (of course I am not suprised you love it, because you love so much other stuff than just prog and really many Procol albums are not far away from the greatest albums of Beatles). You decide what you listen next from them, but I donīt think "A Salty Dog" is not a bad choice. It is also really great album, although has some weaker tracks, but many really great!

I think my first listen to this morning will be Moodies "Long Distance Voyager". Really long time of my last listening, I donīt remember from that anything else than that fantastic opening piece.

Sounds like your radio stations there are better than the ones here at least. Although we do get more Moody Blues songs than that. What did you think of Long Distance Voyager? I liked it although I felt like the first song was clearly the best. Anyway I'm off now to listen to... A Salty Dog.
Have to say I havenīt long time heard such a horrible song from an prog artist as "Gemini Dream" (I have already managed to forget the horrors of ELP:s In the Hot S**t). Almost stop listening the whole album. But I am glad direction went much better in next songs. I prefer Octave lot more. "The Voice" was as amazing as in the eighties when I heard it last time. Anyway from this thread I believe next three albums are better?

BTW I listened Procolīs first after Voyager lots because your enthusiasm about it, oh it sounded so great after that Moodies album, but on the other hand also Procol really havenīt succeeded well in the nineties with their "the Prodigal Stranger"-album (itīs their weakest). Going to listen all the Procolīs albums in order!

About Procol I think you should go next straight to "Grand Hotel". "Home" is as good as "a Salty Dog", but "Broken Barricades" is their weakest seventies album although title song is really great in this album too.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 22:17

Oh mercy that was good. That was too good. The only songs I wasn't wild about were 'Mabel' and 'Good Captain Clack.' And some real fine jamming on 'Cerdes' 'A Christmas Camel' and 'Repent Walpurgis.'

All in all a phenomenal album.  

some people have a tendency to state that the first albums by an artist are the best and it's downhill from there, but I am not one of those people in general.  However, in the case of Procol, I think the first is far and away the best.  It's amazing that apparently they rushed it out on the success of A Whiter Shade and itw as so awesome
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 20:16

Well I liked that, but definitely not as much as those first two albums. It was a little frustrating because the songs were nice, and even good but I know they're capable of so much more lol. Oh well, basically good but not great album imo. The title track and 'Devil Came From Kansas' were both very good. Pretty much the rest of the songs were just pleasant.

I love the closing track, sung by Matthew Fisher whose voice is surprisingly good

Interesting, I noticed the keyboards in that one sounded a little like Whiter Shade of Pale.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 20:11

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 19:55
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>