Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I don't like Neo Prog, change my mind

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 05:19
Neo prog....bad genre grouping IMHO...however as my old wise grandma used to tell me....
"There are none so blind as those that won't see. ."
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 06:24
I’m not a massive fan of Neo, but I love Pendragon, Spock’s Beard and Magenta.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 06:26
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

When did Spock's Beard become neo prog? Wink
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 06:36
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

When did Spock's Beard become neo prog? Wink
Dunno, I just lump them in with that (silly) sub-sub genre.
Passionist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passionist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 07:10
Personally this has become my all time favourite genre, and I can easily tell, what goes into it and what not, when I'm listening to new stuff.

What I understand is that you've been listening to the cliches that started the genre back in the day. Although most of it is really good stuff and I get back to it again and again, I want to be the one to recommend to actually take a look at what's going on at this very moment.

F.E.A.R was the one album that actually made me leave everything and travel to see Marillion live. They're working on a new album as we speak, too, and I'm sure it'll be brilliant.

Gazpacho hasn't released new material in a while, but there's a new album coming very soon, and their latest is amazingly atmospheric. Give it a spin.

If you do want to check out some new stuff, maybe give This Winter Machine a chance? I know they draw a lot from Marillions (etc.) early work, but have a modern touch and some skills, especially in song writing. They released 2 albums within 2 years and are writing a new one as we speak, if I understood correctly.

So forget the ones with best reviews. The albums have been there for a while now for fanboys to bathe them with praise. That's the problem with a niche genre. Sure they're good too, but I'd suggest checking the newer material. Neo is not just the 80's anymore.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 07:17
Gazpacho aren’t Neo by any stretch to me. I have Demon and I will never purchase any more of theirs. I don’t mind it, but I don’t care for it much either.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 07:18
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Check out Somewhere but Yesterday by Citizen Cain . It's so good that it's not even labeled as Neo Prog on PA.

I gave up on this band, I remember them being a Genesis pastiche.
I'm gonna give them another chance, see how I feel about them now.
Passionist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passionist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 07:29

Gazpacho aren’t Neo by any stretch to me. I have Demon and I will never purchase any more of theirs. I don’t mind it, but I don’t care for it much either.

I mean, yeah, I think they're fine under crossover, but that's the problem with neo really. It's basically full of old bands that repeat the same songs from the 80's but with a lot of heavy guitar and angst (IQ, Pendragon, Arena, what ever). But if you consider Marillion, after '91 and Holidays in Eden, neoprog, then I think Gazpacho fits in as well as a lot of crossover does. I guess that's why they don't like the term neoprog either.

Man, I used to be a real prog head, but looking at the classifications here, it seems all my bands have been moved to crossover. I'm pretty sure Pure Reason Revolution was neo as well, when their first album came out. That's how I used to find new bands, checking the neo list one by one.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 07:38
Personally I consider Neal Morse either Neo Prog or Crossover prog. I think he fits there better than symphonic prog imo.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 07:44
Originally posted by Passionist Passionist wrote:

I mean, yeah, I think they're fine under crossover, but that's the problem with neo really. It's basically full of old bands that repeat the same songs from the 80's but with a lot of heavy guitar and angst (IQ, Pendragon, Arena, what ever). But if you consider Marillion, after '91 and Holidays in Eden, neoprog, then I think Gazpacho fits in as well as a lot of crossover does. I guess that's why they don't like the term neoprog either.

Man, I used to be a real prog head, but looking at the classifications here, it seems all my bands have been moved to crossover. I'm pretty sure Pure Reason Revolution was neo as well, when their first album came out. That's how I used to find new bands, checking the neo list one by one.
my opinion is they are crossover, like Pineapple Thief and Radiohead. Unfortunately, they are too derivative of these two Crossover masters. Marillion, post-Brave, have become that very Crossover niche of Prog. Naturally, I love it when they stretch out.

Edited by Tom Ozric - April 04 2020 at 15:28
softandwet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 08:10
Can Phideaux be considered as a Neo Prog band?
So don’t evade the surgeon’s blade
Cos the answer could be in your mind
Maybe one cut and we’ll find
We’re just a wavelength behind

But we are entwined

And I know what you need
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 08:12
Originally posted by softandwet softandwet wrote:

no, crossover prog

if you're not sure what neo-prog is, check out the neo-prog page on PA (obviously).
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 08:55

I think I don't like Neo Prog because it is way too outdated and has a very 80-90ish sound : too much clearness, a lack of emotion, a digital sound (not an analogic one). This is definitely not my cup of tea for a 70's prog lover as me but the fact is that I don't dislike 80's and 90's music but I like it punk, so the Neo Prog domain is maybe too Pop for me, too clean. I don't know. But I feel like making a mistake when I see the high ratings of Neo Prog albums such as IQ's, Marillion's or Flower King's.

A lack of emotion isn't how I'd describe a lot of Neo-Prog, it can be very dramatic and emotional. I'm a very reserved type of person and am uncomfortable expressing my emotions in public (at this forum I feel a little more comfortable opening up), so the emotionality of much Neo-Prog was rather off-putting to me. And I'm not a big fan of symphonic Prog or most crossover prog, or melodic rock/AOR or arena rock type things, so it wasn't a natural fit.

When you posted, I assumed that you would have tried to explore the PA category quite a bit already, and we'd be looking for more obscure bands and lesser-known albums. Christi mentioned this above, but see: http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=18

Marillion, IQ, Pendragon, Arena, and Magenta are some of the biggest names. Sometimes, as others have mentioned, that which is included in Neo_Prog here I would have thought of as Crossover first -- the categories cross over, as it does with symphonic, heavy prog etc.,that's kind of prog's nature. Like with every category at PA, there is music included that I enjoy (there would be a lot if I took the time).

I suggest going through that Neo-Prog page I linked to above, and check out the top Neo_prog albums chart: CLICK HERE FOR LIST. Then maybe you can tell us which of those bands and albums you've explored. Also,maybe list your top ten favourite bands so that we can find ones that should appeal to the same tastes. I do think it's more up to you to change your own mind if you want to, you do that with research, trying to understand it, and listening to plenty.

While I'm sure given enough time,and that you are a good listener and commenting on the suggestions thoroughly, people could find music you like in the category, that wouldn't make a fan of the category. Well, it could lead to you finding more and more to like. But you have to be willing to put the time and effort into it.Obviously it helps if you already know how it is we define it at this site and know representative of it albums. I actually think it's a category I could like a lot more than I used to think I could (I did explore it quite well, but my tastes were narrower back then, and in fact more experimental/ out there than they generally are now).

Looking at the rateyourmusic Neo-Prog chart: CLICK , I like one of the big names, Twelth Night (I enjoyed Fact and Fiction). EDIT: a reason why I like rate your music charts is because they classify by the album rather than by act -- acts might show a diversity of styles across albums, but at PA we can't label or multi-label albums (except in reviews and bios) and just label bands.

One that was once recommended to me that I enjoyed was The Watch (helped that I like Genesis). My favourite was Discipline in Neo-Prog, but then it got moved to Symphonic Prog. I liked Unfolded Like Staircase, which is Symph, but I guess it's Disciplines debut which might be best described as Neo-Prog. I like various Marillion, and have found IQ that I like....

Edited by Logan - April 04 2020 at 09:17
Just a fanboy passin' through.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 09:10
The only advice I would give is to consider the music on its merits, not its sub-genre category on this site.

In terms of the new classification, Marillion ceased being a neo band as long ago as the early nineties, certainly with the release of Brave. Their music sweeps a broad spectrum of intelligent rock music, and an earlier post mentioned FEAR. This is exceptional, and as far away from neo as you are likely to get.

Ditto Pendragon. Until the latest, incredible, release, they had moved into far heavier territory with the past four or so releases. The latest one is simply an emotional tour de force.

For consistent sound, IQ have not moved far from their roots, and if you never did like them, recent releases will not change your mind.

The sub-genre classifications in this site are simply far too narrow to provide you with the depth and breadth of most long-standing artists we have. Again, for example, Floyd. They could never be described as a psych band post Meddle, ever.

Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 09:13

And there is your problem......Who cares!! Do you like Phideaux? If you do then what is the problem? Why insert a musical category buffer that not many people even consider a genre anymore.

So many people lose out on simply sitting down and listen to music without having to FIRST categorize it, then decide if its worthy of a spin.

Honestly, neo-prog is not a genre of music but a period in time and that period has come and gone. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 09:18
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

And there is your problem......Who cares!! Do you like Phideaux? If you do then what is the problem? Why insert a musical category buffer that not many people even consider a genre anymore.

So many people lose out on simply sitting down and listen to music without having to FIRST categorize it, then decide if its worthy of a spin.

Honestly, neo-prog is not a genre of music but a period in time and that period has come and gone. 

I would not say it's gone, otherwise how can anyone explain the rise of Polish neo-prog. Even Riverside were influenced by it earlier in their career, their early albums.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 09:18

Right on! 

Softandwet... have you listened to any of the recommendations you were given?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 09:31
I'm no expert in Neo-Prog, but I have associated it with certain sounds, rather than just thinking of it as a temporal thing. Looking at rateyourmusic, which has multi-genre tagging for albums (and is very far from perfect as different people make different associations), the first two by Phideaux, Fiendish and Ghost Story are described as Progressive Rock first, then as the lesser categorisation Neo-Prog. Number 7 is described as Progressive Rock, Symphonic Prog first, then as Neo-Prog as the lesser classification. One gets psych as the lesser category on one album. The primary band genres for Phideaux's music at rateyourmusic are Progressive Rock, Symphonic Prog, Art Rock.

Lots of acts cross styles on an individual album, and different albums by an act will be classified rather differently. Diversity is something of a hallmark of Prog, so one can expect Prog artists to bring in various approaches.

Different people make different associations with music, and is is said, nomenclature is the bane of the archivist.

Edited by Logan - April 04 2020 at 09:36
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 09:37
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I would not say it's gone, otherwise how can anyone explain the rise of Polish neo-prog. Even Riverside were influenced by it earlier in their career, their early albums.
I suspect if there is Polish neo-prog, Riverside would know about it. Everything I have read on Riverside and who influenced them always they point to Dream Theater, Rush, Yes, Marillion and a lot of heavy metal like Iron Maiden, Slayer and Black Sabbath. This is what I hear in Riverside's albums, pretty much all of them.

The problem I see with Neo-prog is a large % of bands that got dumped there are no longer there with their new output. So what might be correct to be in Neo-prog is only because of a time frame, neo to me is a forced categorization.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 09:41
My personal perspective is that it's better to try to classify music on the album or even track level commonly rather than classifying bands, which may well have diverse discographies.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>