Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2112 vs Tarkus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which side long track do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
23 [29.49%]
46 [58.97%]
8 [10.26%]
1 [1.28%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 04:23
2112 for me!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 04:41
Tarkus
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 05:57
Equals.

I'm more of a Rush fan than a ELP fan, but Tarkus is pretty mind blowing.

If we were comparing overall albums, and not just the side long epics, Rush would win.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 06:05
This...

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 06:15
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Equals.

If we were comparing overall albums, and not just the side long epics, Rush would win.

I was comparing the overall albums...and still 
voted Tarkus without even thinking about it.  
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 06:51
Tarkus, though 2112 is also fine.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 07:22
RRRRRRUUUUUSSSSSSHHHH!
Welcome to the middle of the film.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 08:35
love both but I discovered 2112 early and it's one of my faves so  Rush it is
Prog On!
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 11:47
2112, and it's not my favourite by them.
If I want to listen to a drums/bass/keyboards band, I now tend towards Trace, Rare Bird or Greenslade (unless they have Dave Lawson's vocals).
People rave about Emerson but, for me, Rick van der Linden's classical training makes him a better keyboardist than Emerson.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 12:13
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

If I want to listen to a drums/bass/keyboards band, I now tend towards Trace, Rare Bird or Greenslade (unless they have Dave Lawson's vocals).
People rave about Emerson but, for me, Rick van der Linden's classical training makes him a better keyboardist than Emerson.

Maybe, but I know who I would rather pay money to see!  RIP Keith.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 14:01
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

I saw ELP at Newcastle City Hall, the gig where they recorded Pictures at an Exhibition.

I actually thought that Emerson's antics detracted from the performance and he made a number of errors. I never went to see them again, though I was supposed to be at High Voltage in 2010, but I had another engagement and gave my ticket to a friend. And he said they were extremely mediocre.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 15:45
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

For those who voted Tarkus would it have made a difference if I had Hemispheres on here instead of 2112?
I prefer Hemispheres to 2112, but I still would have voted for Tarkus.

The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 19:49

Equals.

That's a great point, album vs album, the content of 2112 is pretty amazing. I'd venture to say just A Passage to Bangkok slays Tarkus side II.
Then end with Something For Nothing, a nice heavy/hard rock/metal treat.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 23:41
Absolutely 2112! To me Tarkus is the entity put together very different kind of pieces, I really like "Stones Of Years" & "Battlefield", but not that much that musical acrobatics of Emerson. But 2112 is all the way very coherent!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 00:24

I saw ELP at Newcastle City Hall, the gig where they recorded Pictures at an Exhibition.

I actually thought that Emerson's antics detracted from the performance and he made a number of errors. I never went to see them again, though I was supposed to be at High Voltage in 2010, but I had another engagement and gave my ticket to a friend. And he said they were extremely mediocre.

Of all the top prog keyboard players Keith was probably the most prone to mistakes. I've been listening to ELP's concert from Wheeling , Arizona 1977 quite a bit recently and parts do make me cringe. Carl Palmer was probably the best musician in the band , he barely ever fluffs a thing even when playing at breakneck speed. However keyboard wise, Keith was easily the most exciting and inventive player of his generation. However there are plenty of great technical players of that era. Of course Rick van der Linden is one of the best but I would also name Patrick Moraz , Rick Wakeman , Eddie Jobson and Jurgen Fritz as equally special. We were blessed with some truly great players in those times! 
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 01:22
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Equals.

That's a great point, album vs album, the content of 2112 is pretty amazing. I'd venture to say just A Passage to Bangkok slays Tarkus side II.

Lol. You must be kidding! Are You Ready Eddie is more listenable than most Rush, never mind 2112
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 01:44

Equals.

I agree.

ELP blew all their cookies on the suite. Side 2 was like a collection of out takes IMO. Bitches Crystal is ok. Are you Ready Eddie and Jeremy Bender were standard ELP p!ssing about, and The Only Way is toe curling. I would have preferred that to have been left as a solo organ piece. Lakes vocal are dreadful, and as much as I appreciate the concept of an atheist hymn, I find some of the lyrics clumsy.
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 01:56

Equals.

I agree.

ELP blew all their cookies on the suite. Side 2 was like a collection of out takes IMO. Bitches Crystal is ok. Are you Ready Eddie and Jeremy Bender were standard ELP p!ssing about, and The Only Way is toe curling. I would have preferred that to have been left as a solo organ piece. Lakes vocal are dreadful, and as much as I appreciate the concept of an atheist hymn, I find some of the lyrics clumsy.

Misses the point; side 2 of 'Tarkus' shows the diversity of ELP that prog purists often don't get.  I agree about some of the lyrics but they are as sixth form as anything Peart came up with.  'Infinite Space' is beautiful and is too short.  'A Time and a Place' rocks - but all of side 2 (except 'Are You Ready Eddie' - and I love Keith's whacked out piano solo) has the same post-apocalyptic tone set by side 1.  
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 02:43

Equals.

I agree.

Misses the point; side 2 of 'Tarkus' shows the diversity of ELP that prog purists often don't get.  I agree about some of the lyrics but they are as sixth form as anything Peart came up with.  'Infinite Space' is beautiful and is too short.  'A Time and a Place' rocks - but all of side 2 (except 'Are You Ready Eddie' - and I love Keith's whacked out piano solo) has the same post-apocalyptic tone set by side 1.  

I didn't say their music wasn't diverse, and I'm not sure what a prog purist is, or why I may be one, just because I'm not as enthusiastic about one side of an ELP album as some other people are.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 03:50

I agree.

I love side 2 of Tarkus except for "Are You Ready Eddie". I even prefer it to side 1 of Brain Salad Surgery. For me, it is side 2 of Tarkus that gives that album the edge over Brain Salad Surgery (because I prefer "Karn Evil 9" over the "Tarkus" track).

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>