Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2112 vs Tarkus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Which side long track do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
23 [29.49%]
46 [58.97%]
8 [10.26%]
1 [1.28%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 10:03
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I decided it was time to pull another poll topic from my list so here it is.

For me both equally.

In my personal ranking they took the same score, 7,5/8 on 10. Good but not excellent.

Great effort, especially for Tarkus, but too many forced passages. 

"Happiness is real only when shared"
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 10:03
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I'm more of a Rush fan than a ELP fan, but Tarkus is pretty mind blowing.

If we were comparing overall albums, and not just the side long epics, Rush would win.

This is pretty much me as well. I'm a 40+ year Rush fan and they are my favorite band but the song Tarkus is indeed, mind blowing. Now, for many 2112 is also mind blowing but unlike many (most perhaps?) Rush fans, 2112 was never as high on my list as some other fans put it. I appreciate it's importance in Rush history and I don't dislike it but, truth be told, I rarely listen to it anymore. I'd listen to Caress of Steel all day over 2112.

We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 10:17
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Equals.

If we were comparing overall albums, and not just the side long epics, Rush would win.

That's a great point, album vs album, the content of 2112 is pretty amazing. I'd venture to say just A Passage to Bangkok slays Tarkus side II.
Then end with Something For Nothing, a nice heavy/hard rock/metal treat.

I agree.

ELP blew all their cookies on the suite. Side 2 was like a collection of out takes IMO. Bitches Crystal is ok. Are you Ready Eddie and Jeremy Bender were standard ELP p!ssing about, and The Only Way is toe curling. I would have preferred that to have been left as a solo organ piece. Lakes vocal are dreadful, and as much as I appreciate the concept of an atheist hymn, I find some of the lyrics clumsy.

Misses the point; side 2 of 'Tarkus' shows the diversity of ELP that prog purists often don't get.  I agree about some of the lyrics but they are as sixth form as anything Peart came up with.  'Infinite Space' is beautiful and is too short.  'A Time and a Place' rocks - but all of side 2 (except 'Are You Ready Eddie' - and I love Keith's whacked out piano solo) has the same post-apocalyptic tone set by side 1.  
It's what Blacksword wrote about side II that is a common feeling about Tarkus, its a lot of ELP "pissing about". It has a feel of ELP not having any gas left after side I and they added some fun tracks that just don't exude much seriousness. 
I too not following "prog purist".......we are digressing from the OP.

Carry on..Big smile
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 13:56
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

This is pretty much me as well. I'm a 40+ year Rush fan and they are my favorite band but the song Tarkus is indeed, mind blowing. Now, for many 2112 is also mind blowing but unlike many (most perhaps?) Rush fans, 2112 was never as high on my list as some other fans put it. I appreciate it's importance in Rush history and I don't dislike it but, truth be told, I rarely listen to it anymore. I'd listen to Caress of Steel all day over 2112.

Yeah, that's precisely my position, with regard to 2112 vs COS.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 14:36
Side Two of 2112 is fine but a bit 'standard issue' compared to the main suite and that is why ELP were such an interesting band. Nothing on Side Two of Tarkus is 'standard issue' and yes is mostly 'pissing about' but as far as bands just pissing about goes you would actually pay to see them do it (and many thousands did lol!!) .The other point is that they would happily piss about for free. They were actually having fun , you know that thing that serious prog bands are not allowed to have Big smile
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 17:42
Both songs are wonderful, of course, but I really dislike the Mass part on Tarkus, and just because of that I go with 2112. As for Are you Ready Eddy, I have never understood the great hate toward that song, I find it rather enjoyable, much better than any of the other "joke" songs they have done.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 18:59
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Both songs are wonderful, of course, but I really dislike the Mass part on Tarkus, and just because of that I go with 2112. As for Are you Ready Eddy, I have never understood the great hate toward that song, I find it rather enjoyable, much better than any of the other "joke" songs they have done.

What is the mass part of Tarkus? You do know this is about the side long tracks and not the whole albums right?

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 12 2020 at 19:00
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 19:06

What is the mass part of Tarkus? You do know this is about the side long tracks and not the whole albums right?

Nevermind, I figured it out. Anyway, there are parts of Tarkus that drag on a bit but imo that isn't one of them. So, I voted for both because I think if you balance it out they are both equally great. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 14:56
^ Mass is the track with the lyric 'The Weaver In The Web That He Made' and has an instrumental insert with the unique clicking technique from Emerson on the Hammond. When I first heard it just totally blew me away. In the live version you don't hear this at all and I remember that really bugging me when I was a kid , but I got over it. On the Steven Wilson reissue there is a separate longer studio jam of that instrumental bit which is quite interesting. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2020 at 17:03

Nevermind, I figured it out. Anyway, there are parts of Tarkus that drag on a bit but imo that isn't one of them. So, I voted for both because I think if you balance it out they are both equally great. 

Yeah, thankfully it's not a very long part of the song, though the parts immediatley before and after are also somewhat noisy and not so enjoyable, and so the part that I don't like becomes a bit longer. The one part I think that drags a bit is Aquatarkus, though it's not really bad or annoying... just long.
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 15:15
Tarkus by 10 miles. 2112 is a great and all, but isn't on par with Tarkus.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 14:58
Love them both but Tarkus is Tarkus.
The Prog Corner
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 16:13
2112 but love them both
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 16:20

I mean seriously?   We're talking about an album designed to appeal to fifteen year-old boys vs. one of the greatest and most influential ~ scratch that, most influential ~ album in prog history.

Gatefold Sleeve

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 17:22
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I mean seriously?   We're talking about an album designed to appeal to fifteen year-old boys vs. one of the greatest and most influential ~ scratch that, most influential ~ album in prog history.

Gatefold Sleeve

I mean I wouldn't call 2112 THE most influential album in prog history, although it might qualify in the prog metal cate--oh, you were talking about Tarkus. Well it's not like that cover art isn't teenage comic book reader fodder! :p
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 17:43
Come on now. It's not fair to say Tarkus was designed to appeal to 15 year old boys. Tongue
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 03:31
Tarkus was the reason I got into prog … as a fifteen year old! LOL
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2020 at 00:40
I love Rush, but I’m going to have to go with Tarkus. The attack on this album ... and by attack I mean the decisive high velocity (wavefront) sequences of rapid-fire notes, is mesmerizing. Imagine heavy metal on a 70s style keyboard. It works. I also enjoy Brain Salad Surgery. Amazing!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123