Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Poll #4 - Sometimes They Come Back

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Poll Question: Pick the three you like best!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [12.82%]
0 [0.00%]
7 [17.95%]
2 [5.13%]
4 [10.26%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [5.13%]
2 [5.13%]
4 [10.26%]
4 [10.26%]
1 [2.56%]
2 [5.13%]
2 [5.13%]
4 [10.26%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 11:19
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Sebastian - this one has a language barrier for me since I don't speak any French

French?
I thought that I read that you said he was from France.  Either way, it was in a language I didn't understand so it loses its intended effect on me.  

My apologies, as you are from Denmark, I am supposing that he is Danish?

Yes, he is from Denmark. I knew most people wouldn't understand the words, so I provided a translation below Smile
So you did!  I somehow missed that too.  Embarrassed  Thank you!
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 11:18
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

yeah. the best part is making it seem as if he had said it to me Embarrassed Oh he probably thinks so but there is one person here worse than me..that did earn my signature

Pedro LOLLOLHeart
  That makes the whole thing even funnier!  LOLLOL
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 11:13
yeah. the best part is making it seem as if he had said it to me Embarrassed Oh he probably thinks so but there is one person here worse than me..that did earn my signature

Pedro LOLLOLHeart

Edited by micky - June 07 2020 at 11:14
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 11:09

hahahhah..  that he is.. and helluva nice guy too.. hopefully you'll get a chance to meet him some day. He gets out quite a bit to various shows and you can't miss him if did see him.
  Plus, it's hilarious that your quote is from him, and darned funny at that!  
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 11:08

Sebastian - this one has a language barrier for me since I don't speak any French

French?
I thought that I read that you said he was from France.  Either way, it was in a language I didn't understand so it loses its intended effect on me.  

Yes, he is from Denmark. I knew most people wouldn't understand the words, so I provided a translation below Smile
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 11:05
hahahhah..  that he is.. and helluva nice guy too.. hopefully you'll get a chance to meet him some day. He gets out quite a bit to various shows and you can't miss him if did see him.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 10:57

being the bohemian heathen that I proudly am.. I am all about instant gratification but truth is.. the most impactful music I've come to love.. has been the stuff I needed time to fully process. Be it musically, lyrical, or stylistic.  MY gradual conversation via Auntie Raff and Uncle Ian to more experimental .. avant stuff is prime example of that. In the early days of the site I was one of its most vocal and harshest critics as tuneless and talent less music hahaha. 
  Yes, the subversive Ian Wink has been corrupting me as well, I see him on some other haunts, he always has something worth considering, I've bought a few of his suggestions. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 10:51

French?

at least he didn't call it Greek...
When I don't speak a language, isn't it all Greek to me.  LOL
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 10:50

French?

Edited by rushfan4 - June 07 2020 at 10:54
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 10:19
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

oh wait.. got that one already.  hitting the others you suggested 
  Excellent....Cheers and Happy Sunday!  

the more I listen .. the more I like. I think her singing is a bit of an acquired taste but with a minimum of effort to try to appreciate.. do shine quite brightly. I had a feeling as much of when I caught that with each listen of that one you posted I liked more and more. It wasn't a grab you by the neck upon first listen.. but more of a sinking in.. and as prog fans.. we should come to expect that more than getting or expecting instant gratification. 
  I agree completely.  Her voice is very recognizable.  About 300 lifetimes ago, I was a Directory Assistance Operator in the small town of Santa Cruz.  One morning, a call dropped into my headset from a coin phone on the outdoor Pacific Garden Mall there, asking for a phone number.  I said, "Is this Jano?"  She just about lost it, that a random phone operator would know her voice, was relieved to find out it was someone she knew (we didn't know each other well at that time, but I went to every show she did there).  Well, Chicago in California and it was a very small town then.  

Also, yes, on the instant gratification with prog fans.  That's why I went through twice on all of the selections, then relistened one more time to the ones that I thought I was voting for.  

being the bohemian heathen that I proudly am.. I am all about instant gratification but truth is.. the most impactful music I've come to love.. has been the stuff I needed time to fully process. Be it musically, lyrical, or stylistic.  MY gradual conversation via Auntie Raff and Uncle Ian to more experimental .. avant stuff is prime example of that. In the early days of the site I was one of its most vocal and harshest critics as tuneless and talent less music hahaha. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 10:10

French?

I once heard a Greek version of "Seeräuber Jenny" (Pirate Jenny), so I wouldn't be surprised if there is also a Greek version of this song.
a semi inside joke here in the states... 'sounds like Greek to me' is a common expression here for what we don't understand

Edited by micky - June 07 2020 at 10:12
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 09:50
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Eavesdropping on the conversation, since it's in the threads....I actually enjoy listening to these kinds of things, as well.  I could not escape the MRI association with your actual entry, but this stuff, yes.  

Actually you can find some real earaches on framework, however the majority is indeed rather peaceful.
Oh by the way, true story: When I have MRI, I ask them to not play any music because the sound is interesting, and I actually even once managed to convince them to let me record the MRI sound. (I occasionally do field recordings as well but rather throw them into music than using them on their own.)
And it may well be I'd have liked the avantgarde contemporary classical stuff you hated. Wink
  I wouldn't say I hated it, it just did not go well with an MRI, especially for me.  The setting recreated a recurring nightmare I have, I'd never had one before and had no idea what to expect, except to be grateful it wasn't a full one, as I am claustrophobic.  I'd have to be dying to have another one, and even then, I'd rethink it.  
Doesn't always have to be peaceful for me to enjoy music, I love my share of King Crimson, especially because of the dynamics at play.  But I do tend to like to have more of a sense of melody that I can recognize in music, but still willing to keep listening to new things and other's selections and ideas that fall outside of that.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 09:45

oh wait.. got that one already.  hitting the others you suggested 
  Excellent....Cheers and Happy Sunday!  

the more I listen .. the more I like. I think her singing is a bit of an acquired taste but with a minimum of effort to try to appreciate.. do shine quite brightly. I had a feeling as much of when I caught that with each listen of that one you posted I liked more and more. It wasn't a grab you by the neck upon first listen.. but more of a sinking in.. and as prog fans.. we should come to expect that more than getting or expecting instant gratification. 
  I agree completely.  Her voice is very recognizable.  About 300 lifetimes ago, I was a Directory Assistance Operator in the small town of Santa Cruz.  One morning, a call dropped into my headset from a coin phone on the outdoor Pacific Garden Mall there, asking for a phone number.  I said, "Is this Jano?"  She just about lost it, that a random phone operator would know her voice, was relieved to find out it was someone she knew (we didn't know each other well at that time, but I went to every show she did there).  Well, Chicago in California and it was a very small town then.  

Also, yes, on the instant gratification with prog fans.  That's why I went through twice on all of the selections, then relistened one more time to the ones that I thought I was voting for.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 09:40

French?

I once heard a Greek version of "Seeräuber Jenny" (Pirate Jenny), so I wouldn't be surprised if there is also a Greek version of this song.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 09:36

Parliament - this is one of those artists where I give the music a 7 or an 8 but the lyrics and vocals get a 2 or 3.  I like the funky bass and the horns but my god the lyrics are horrible.  

Parliament requires the puffing of a large rolled doobie whilst listening, once consumed the lyrics are poetry....LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 09:30

French?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 09:27
Some trivia about "Sangen om Vandhjulet" (Die Ballade vom Wasserrad):

The lyrics, like many other Brecht lyrics, were originally set to music by Hanns Eisler. Here it's "sung" by Eisler himself:

And here is the Richard Desjardins version. Personally I find it rather trivial compared to the other two.

Edited by The Anders - June 07 2020 at 09:30
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 09:23

French?
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 09:06

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Just as a taster, I was just ironing and listening to this:
https://frameworkeditions.bandcamp.com/album/framework250
Now that's field recordings and some would argue it isn't even meant to be music. But I'm listening to it as music and I'm sure i'm not alone. Musical softie that I am, I like the bits more that have some music-like structure, be it rhythm or something else, but my bar for this isn't really very high.  Cool
  Eavesdropping on the conversation, since it's in the threads....I actually enjoy listening to these kinds of things, as well.  I could not escape the MRI association with your actual entry, but this stuff, yes.  

Actually you can find some real earaches on framework, however the majority is indeed rather peaceful.
Oh by the way, true story: When I have MRI, I ask them to not play any music because the sound is interesting, and I actually even once managed to convince them to let me record the MRI sound. (I occasionally do field recordings as well but rather throw them into music than using them on their own.)
And it may well be I'd have liked the avantgarde contemporary classical stuff you hated. Wink

Edited by Lewian - June 07 2020 at 09:15
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 08:56

The Hu - neat song musically.  The throat singing will have to be a grower though I think but it is a unique take on vocals.

A Covenant of Thorns - with a name like A Covenant of Thorns I was bracing myself for cookie monster growling.  It might just be me but I kind of got a Robert Smith and The Cure vibe off of this song. 

Johnny Cash - Aside from The Devil Went Down to Georgia, I really can't stand country music...and this song does nothing to change that for me.  I know that Mr. Cash is an American institution and he does have a good voice, but not my cuppa.

Van Morrison - I'm a long time fan of Brown-Eyed Girl and Gloria.  I wasn't familiar with this one though.  

Grizzly Bear - I had not heard this song before, so I listened to the original first before listening to the Michael McDonald version.  I enjoyed it.  I liked the Michael McDonald version better.   

Jellyfish - I had never heard of Jellyfish until Prog magazine did an "Are they prog or not feature on them?" a year or so ago.  I meant to give them a listen to check them out...but this is the first song that I am hearing from them.  Not hearing prog here but a little bit of disco sound and ELO violins.  Not bad.

Sebastian - this one has a language barrier for me since I don't speak any French.  I think that singer songwriter songs work best when you understand what is being sung.  Again I'm not sure why but it brings to mind Greg Lake's Lucky Man crossed with Gordon Lightfoot.  :)

Jano Brindisi - she has a nice voice.  Was definitely not familiar with this song.  Made me chuckle as it reminded me of the Big Bang Theory and the storyline of Penny having had a movie role as a woman who changed into a killer gorilla.  

Rickie Lee Jones - a well known artist that I can honestly say I was not familiar with.  This was a good song and she has a really nice voice.

Holger Hiller - this was surprisingly enjoyable in a strange way.  I can see this track fitting in on an album of novelty tracks right alongside Hocus Pocus and such...  

Avatarium - references The Nercromancer...so bonus points for that.  :)    It kind of has a feel of a Rainbow song with Dio on it.  Starts off slow and acoustic and then builds up to a heavier and more dramatic ending.  I like her voice.

JJ Grey - I like the organs and bass line.  I can't put my finger on who they remind me of.  Maybe a little bit of Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Parliament - this is one of those artists where I give the music a 7 or an 8 but the lyrics and vocals get a 2 or 3.  I like the funky bass and the horns but my god the lyrics are horrible.  

Cake - this was my suggestion...and a song that I've always really enjoyed.  It was the first time I had watched the video...and I quite enjoyed that too.

So my vote:

Cake - The Distance
Grizzly Bear (ft. Michael McDonald) - While We Wait for the Others
Holger Heller - Ohi Oh Bang Bang

Clap  was happy to see you join in btw... 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>