Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do you pay attention to the lyrics of prog songs?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do you pay attention to the lyrics of prog songs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you pay attention to the lyrics of prog songs?
    Posted: June 29 2020 at 10:35
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

The fact that for me the music comes first is because I like music more (at least in songs), but it doesn't mean I don't like the lyrics. And it's also because it actually requires a little bit less effort to let the music sink in than to grasp the meaning of the lyrics, specially if you are not reading them while listening, or if you are doing something else while listening.

Hi,

That's interesting ... I guess I learned early on, to not separate things, as in my "seeing" of things, there really is no reason to do so ... I can follow the lyrics in Italian and Spanish easily enough, but the German ones I can follow but have no idea what is being said, and never have I thought that the lyrics were separated from the music at all ... it's really hard for me to think that, specially listening to so many different languages, and somehow, things sound fine ...  but, I think that my listening to something is much more dedicated than most folks, that are just putting it on the background, and then wonder why lyrics, or music, don't click ... I'm in it all the way right from the start, and have been from day 1. This was something that I learned from all the classical music in our house (almost 3K LP's at the time), even though my dad would go back to his typewriter as the thing played out loud ... so he could write his poem, of which he had many done to music.

(Note: I think that the tone and mood, or what I consider the acting style of a lot of the German lyrics from AD2, CAN, and some other bands, made it easier to not feel the need to "understand" the lyrics ... I think they were mostly obvious!)

(Note 2: Following the lyrics, as in reading as the music is on, for ME, is not a good idea. Why? Your mind is "essentially" translating what you are reading, and you are trying to adjust it to the music, whereas I concentrate on the singing and the music together ... and the feeling arises just fine, and my following the lyrics is not needed, since I trust them to be on par with what I am hearing. See what acting/directing teaches you? )

When I wrote my bunch of things to music, for the most part I had the memory of it in mind, since (as an example) the visual sights in Tangerine Dream move much too fast for words to follow easily. But I still got it done, even if in that one thread about visual this and that on TD, I could not really post a whole lot ... I couldn't help thinking that some of it was too weird and strange, but I don't doubt it.

Edited by moshkito - June 29 2020 at 10:39
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 09:58
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

For me music comes first. But lyrics are always good to make the music even more interesting. Sadly, it's not always easy for me to understand the lyrics, since I'm not an english native speaker, and even though I may already know them, I can easily get distracted and loose track of them (sometimes I even get distracted with the melody instead, and just follow it and forget to follow the lyrics).

Hi,

The hard part is ... why can music be an "art" and the lyrics can't be an "art".

I look at both as a WHOLE, instead of separate, although in many cases you can take the lyrics and read the words, and see the poem and the flow ... stuff that is written by folks that are REAL POETS instead of lyric hackers, show the difference, and you can point easily to Jim Morrison, and many others that made their music "better" because of the words that vaporized your ideals and mine, and forced you to see something else! Or Roy Harper ... I remember 10 or more songs from a word or two and there are a couple of long things, that I don't even know their titles!

... when the music is over ...  sometimes the words stick in your mind as well ... but it wasn't the lyrics that got you! It was the dramatic sense and feeling that Jim gave you ... because you can relate to it! When it ends, stops or you wake up from the dream ... it's "over" ... and you want more and miss it a lot!

The "best" material out there, we THINK that the music and the lyrics fit together really well, and it is instrumental to the band's criteria or the main writer ... you would certainly agree on this with Ian for example, although in my book, he is a much better actor that makes his lyrics seem even better, than they really are ... if you sit and read them or try to read them to a group of folks ... a lot of it falls down quickly.

And this is a good measure, btw ... try it ... read the lyrics out loud to someone, and see how they react ... the good reads that come off well, will likely get a few questions or comments that kinda wonder what all of it is about (for example) ... but the ones that fall flat, you can see many other people go ... wtf is he talking about, or make bored faces quickly.

However, to pay "more" attention to the lyrics, than the music is RIDICULOUS. It has to be taken as a whole and this is the reason why I dislike a couple of the "christian" this and that folks ... the quotes and words are supposed to make the music better, and that is fallacy #1 in the learning about audiences in any courses that deal with stage this or that, be it music, film, or theater! And in this case it bothers me that some folks think that the music/words are "christian" just because they are used! And that is some huge crock of illusion, that will NEVER teach you anything other than maintain the illusions alive!

I do believe the lyrics can, and should, be art too. Actually, I believe they are obviously art... though the quality of it is another matter. The fact that for me the music comes first is because I like music more (at least in songs), but it doesn't mean I don't like the lyrics. And it's also because it actually requires a little bit less effor to let the music sink in than to grasp the meaning of the lyrics, specially if you are not reading them while listening, or if you are doing something else while listening.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2020 at 01:27
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by tdfloyd tdfloyd wrote:

The music always comes first.  Excellent lyrics can bring a song to greatness.  Bad lyrics can totally ruin a song.  Some are embarrassing, others like the Lamb are too obscure.  Great music but I don't know what PG is getting at.  Same with Supper's Ready.  Knocks them down a bit for me.   There are exceptions, I don't know what Jon Anderson is getting at half (most) the time, but it works for me.   

Hi,

This is a problem ... since there are times when many folks take on a much more literary tribute/attitude towards their words (and work!!!), and "knowing" what ANY WRITER, or ARTIST is getting at, is not something that is for us to know at all ... here's an example ... Mona Lisa ... she may have a bird brain, but her eyes follow you anywhere in that room, and let me tell you ... there are people that look at it and pass by that room really fast! And then, someone might do this as a joke ... you have been had!

My thoughts always were that many folks wanted to take this a step up from the popular music mentality in both music and lyrics ... however, as the memememe generation came up, all of a sudden everyone HAD TO BE TOLD what everything meant ... for crying out loud, my friend, people are still trying to figure out what some of Shakespeare's words meant in so many places ... and all you are saying is that the WHOLE piece moves down the scale of appreciation simply because it doesn't spell things out for you in ABC, 123 format!

I think that you will end up losing a lot of appreciation in music, and things like Jim Morrison are not exactly something that every one can understand ... 1) they are visually inclined words: 2) the poetic nature is more about the flow than the meaning you would expect: 3) some of these words were likely adjusted because they were all film/art students at University and they were very well aware of "literature" as opposed to just a song and so many poor excuses for lyrics in pop music: 4) a lot of these words were "created" based on Jim's acting strength with words .... 

ClapClapClapClapClap!!!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Droxford View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Droxford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 13:49
@Moshkito, interesting points made about prog lyrics in a wider context. Perhaps 'bleak' wasn't the best term to use. 
Liked your post anyhow. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 09:57
Originally posted by Droxford Droxford wrote:

I am surprised how bleak a lot of the lyrics from the Prog era are -particularly looking at ELP, Pink Floyd, and King Crimson. 

Hi,

May I suggest that this is not quite a good interpretation.

Going back some 6 to 8 years (then!!!), Europe had developed what was called "anti-film" and it also went to "anti-theater" and then "anti-literature", and a lot of the early "lyrics in ELP, PF and KC were almost (not quite) a sort of "anti-lyrics" with the same kind of results ... and in some ways, one could say that this was an extension of the psychedelic forms of wording and lyrics, the ones that defy anyone to declare some sort of meaning, since within that sphere of experience, there might be a meaning but it will change into another something else within the next set of letters and words.

The other side of things, and it was clear in the use of Pete Sinfield and other poets, and many others, was the use of POETRY for lyrics, which changed how it would be sung and brought out. Greg Lake's deliveries in the first KC album are not exactly "sung" ... they are more about the expression and ensuring that the meaning is concise and clear ... and he did this all the way to the "Endless Enigma" ... we continually confuse these with "lyrics", the majority of which in so many top ten songs, have as much meaning as what goes down in the stool!

My take, and I am keen on the relationships between ALL THE ARTS including rock music, is that some folks were hoping to do something different ... and yeah ... sometimes it seemed to work, and sometimes it didn't ... but I don't see anyone here say that ... Mona Lisa you got a bird brain ... is a sh*tty lyric! Or that Hunters and Collectors actually means "something" ... the point was to ensure that it DIDN'T mean anything, since everyone is/was expecting some sort of meaning and message ... 

50 years later and we're still going around expecting some meaning ... and people not realizing how much of the stuff out there is just a crock of letters and words that gives a bouillabaisse a bad name!

Edited by moshkito - June 26 2020 at 07:16
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Droxford View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Droxford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2020 at 14:48
I always listen attentively  to Prog lyrics as appreciate poetry. But feel that there is a difference. 
Lyrics can really transform via music and the emotion a singer puts into them . Jon Anderson's lyrics are so personal that don't work for me if see them written down, but can relate to them  when become part of the music of Yes. 
And if we can relate this to Rock music generally , the lyrics to 'Light My Fire' look hopeless if read on a page,  but Jim Morrison had the talent to invest them with something more, same with Bill Withers ''Aint Not Sunshine' 

I am surprised how bleak a lot of the lyrics from the Prog era are -particularly looking at ELP, Pink Floyd, and King Crimson. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2020 at 07:21

For me music comes first. But lyrics are always good to make the music even more interesting. Sadly, it's not always easy for me to understand the lyrics, since I'm not an english native speaker, and even though I may already know them, I can easily get distracted and loose track of them (sometimes I even get distracted with the melody instead, and just follow it and forget to follow the lyrics).
Hi,

The hard part is ... why can music be an "art" and the lyrics can't be an "art".

I look at both as a WHOLE, instead of separate, although in many cases you can take the lyrics and read the words, and see the poem and the flow ... stuff that is written by folks that are REAL POETS instead of lyric hackers, show the difference, and you can point easily to Jim Morrison, and many others that made their music "better" because of the words that vaporized your ideals and mine, and forced you to see something else! Or Roy Harper ... I remember 10 or more songs from a word or two and there are a couple of long things, that I don't even know their titles!

... when the music is over ...  sometimes the words stick in your mind as well ... but it wasn't the lyrics that got you! It was the dramatic sense and feeling that Jim gave you ... because you can relate to it! When it ends, stops or you wake up from the dream ... it's "over" ... and you want more and miss it a lot!

The "best" material out there, we THINK that the music and the lyrics fit together really well, and it is instrumental to the band's criteria or the main writer ... you would certainly agree on this with Ian for example, although in my book, he is a much better actor that makes his lyrics seem even better, than they really are ... if you sit and read them or try to read them to a group of folks ... a lot of it falls down quickly.

And this is a good measure, btw ... try it ... read the lyrics out loud to someone, and see how they react ... the good reads that come off well, will likely get a few questions or comments that kinda wonder what all of it is about (for example) ... but the ones that fall flat, you can see many other people go ... wtf is he talking about, or make bored faces quickly.

However, to pay "more" attention to the lyrics, than the music is RIDICULOUS. It has to be taken as a whole and this is the reason why I dislike a couple of the "christian" this and that folks ... the quotes and words are supposed to make the music better, and that is fallacy #1 in the learning about audiences in any courses that deal with stage this or that, be it music, film, or theater! And in this case it bothers me that some folks think that the music/words are "christian" just because they are used! And that is some huge crock of illusion, that will NEVER teach you anything other than maintain the illusions alive!

Edited by moshkito - June 23 2020 at 07:24
www.pedrosena.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2020 at 20:10
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2020 at 13:28
Originally posted by tdfloyd tdfloyd wrote:

The music always comes first.  Excellent lyrics can bring a song to greatness.  Bad lyrics can totally ruin a song.  Some are embarrassing, others like the Lamb are too obscure.  Great music but I don't know what PG is getting at.  Same with Supper's Ready.  Knocks them down a bit for me.   There are exceptions, I don't know what Jon Anderson is getting at half (most) the time, but it works for me.   

Hi,

This is a problem ... since there are times when many folks take on a much more literary tribute/attitude towards their words (and work!!!), and "knowing" what ANY WRITER, or ARTIST is getting at, is not something that is for us to know at all ... here's an example ... Mona Lisa ... she may have a bird brain, but her eyes follow you anywhere in that room, and let me tell you ... there are people that look at it and pass by that room really fast! And then, someone might do this as a joke ... you have been had!

My thoughts always were that many folks wanted to take this a step up from the popular music mentality in both music and lyrics ... however, as the memememe generation came up, all of a sudden everyone HAD TO BE TOLD what everything meant ... for crying out loud, my friend, people are still trying to figure out what some of Shakespeare's words meant in so many places ... and all you are saying is that the WHOLE piece moves down the scale of appreciation simply because it doesn't spell things out for you in ABC, 123 format!

I think that you will end up losing a lot of appreciation in music, and things like Jim Morrison are not exactly something that every one can understand ... 1) they are visually inclined words: 2) the poetic nature is more about the flow than the meaning you would expect: 3) some of these words were likely adjusted because they were all film/art students at University and they were very well aware of "literature" as opposed to just a song and so many poor excuses for lyrics in pop music: 4) a lot of these words were "created" based on Jim's acting strength with words .... 

www.pedrosena.com
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2020 at 12:38

Edited by tdfloyd - June 20 2020 at 12:40
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2020 at 08:07
As a lifetime Yes fan, I find that I run hot & cold on the lyrics. 

Some songs (CTTE) still perplex me after hundreds, nay, thousands of listenings. 

Others (Wondrous Stories) are quite delightful.  

I still consider Jon Anderson to be one of history's great English poets, up there with romantic greats like Shelley. 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2020 at 07:55
I think it's difficult to ignore a lot of Genesis (Gabriel and Banks) lyrics.
Same with Peter Hammill.

I think the more generic lyrics blend into the background for me and they really have to stand out, by that I mean, they need to be super funny/poetic/meaningful.

Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2020 at 05:40
Yes, very much so.
Take Guiding Light by IQ - listen to the lyrics and the song has a really profound meaning which adds real depth to the beautiful music. Mind you, on some of their songs, I'm sure Peter Nicholls uses a random word generator.
But the real killer lyric is this, from a band which is one of my all time favourites and whose lyrics are unusually deep and meaningful:
It's not prog, but anyone who has lost the love of their life (and I speak from personal experience) can relate to it. If I had a shred of religious belief, it would give hope, but I haven't so I've just had to move on.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2020 at 04:59
I did pay attention to the lyrics when I was a teenager: I'm a metalhead since my adolescent years, back in the 90's, and there was all these scandals around black metal - not to forget the controversies around Ramstein, Laibach, etc...
Furthermore, bands like Sepultura, Therapy?, Skyclad or even Biohazard (hey, I was 15!) hit me not only by their music, but also their lyrics (even if I needed sometimes to understand all the puns in Skyclad lyrics...)

Coming to prog-rock and its neighbours, people like Frank Zappa, Pete Sinfield or Fish (I'm not a big fan of Marillion) have some lyrics who hit a string or two when I listen/read to them.
Not to say that they always wrote splendors or clever stuff! But they are better lyricists than, say, Greg Lake...
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2020 at 03:38
Thinking about lyrics - I’ve asked several French friends of ours here to shed some light on the lyrics of my Ange albums.........(Caricatures, Cimitiere and Au Dela.....). In a roundabout way, i got shocked faces. Who knows what Christian was thinking (or taking) at the time of penning this stuff.......?
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2020 at 03:34
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

It would be narrow minded or even downright ethnocentric to dismiss all the Prog lyrics in languages we don't speak or understand e.g. Ange (France) and Area (Italy) seem to buck the trend of implausible lyrics as a genre signature. That said, Peter Hammill, Steven Wilson, Roger Waters and Kevin Gilbert are probably the only English language lyricists associated with Progressive Rock I can think of that I take remotely seriously. Honorable mentions go out to Ian Anderson and Neil Peart who have tackled a wide range of political and social issues as subject matter far removed from the prevailing cosmiche fantasy w*nk of their contemporaries. I've long held the view that Prog was dominated by long winded instrumentalists who couldn't string two words together.

Outside French (mother language), I can read spanish, some italian and some dutch & german , so I could read the lyrics if they (lyric sheets) were provided, but rarely feel enticed to do so. OK, in the 70's, I couldn't have read Dutch, Italian or German, and would've struggled with Spanish, as well.
I did get some nordic languages lyrics' translation back in the 90's (Anglagard, Sinkadus, Hoyry Kone, etc...) but came up empty emotively-speaking when reading them along with the singing.

I don't have to force myself to listen to french lyrics (I'd probably have to force myself not to listen to them LOL), and Christian Descamp is certainly one of the best lyricist around when dealing with political issues However the theatrical part of their stuff puts me off... Problem is that ever since past Au Delà Du Délire, I don't find the music of Ange very interesting at all. So yeah, I still have a good souvenir of the Culinaire Lingus album, because many smiles were drawn, but musically I don't have any memories at all.

I must say that for avant-prog, I don't pay attention at all on lyrics. TBH, even in Henry Cow/Slapp Happy, I didn't care for it at all.

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2020 at 03:31
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Hardly ever, very few bands have good lyricists and they are often cringeworthy. Tull are a notable except, I'd also mention Roy Harper. Most of the music with lyrics I listen to are in languages I don't understand. That's just the way I like it.
It has always been quite same way with me! Even in Finnish bands very often if there isn´t lyrics added in album, I just listen music and don´t pay much attention what they´re singing. Music has always been the most important thing. But sometimes I listen albums following lyrics same time from the album cover and of course if there have been great ideas in them (for example Ian Anderson´s & Gabriels words) I of course also enjoy them. But to me it´s totally same even lyrics are totally nonsense, I really love anyway more music that has vocals than instrumental music (mostly).
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2020 at 01:52
It would be narrow minded or even downright ethnocentric to dismiss all the Prog lyrics in languages we don't speak or understand e.g. Ange (France) and Area (Italy) seem to buck the trend of implausible lyrics as a genre signature. That said, Peter Hammill, Steven Wilson, Roger Waters and Kevin Gilbert are probably the only English language lyricists associated with Progressive Rock I can think of that I take remotely seriously. Honorable mentions go out to Ian Anderson and Neil Peart who have tackled a wide range of political and social issues as subject matter far removed from the prevailing cosmiche fantasy w*nk of their contemporaries. I've long held the view that Prog was dominated by long winded instrumentalists who couldn't string two words together.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2020 at 00:13
Generally, I do - some are thoughtful and profound, some are filled with fantasy and a vivid imagination, and some are angsty nonsense. Some are idiotic schlok, and I don’t know where to put some of those Death Metal lyrics.....perhaps in a morbidly comical amusing light. The music always comes first.
Homotopy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homotopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 07:41
Well, a few days ago I happened to put on some album and the music was ok but I turned it off due to the stupidity of the lyrics. And indeed for me wishing I didn't know English is a more common feeling than appreciation when it comes to lyrics. But most of the time lyrics are very abstract (random) and I don't care. 
I really like when it's quirky though. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>