Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TV shows you most recently finished watching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 48495051>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2024 at 09:00
^ I loved The Lazarus Project - a really neat take on the time travel/reset idea. I liked both series of From too, but have a nagging thought that it's not going to go to a decent conclusion (like Lost, the writers have no ending).
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2024 at 19:38
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

^ . I liked both series of From too, but have a nagging thought that it's not going to go to a decent conclusion (like Lost, the writers have no ending).

Yep I do wonder what they have in mind and hope it's not as annoying as the end of Lost.

mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2024 at 21:43
I watched the one and only season (cancelled) of the Brothers Sun. It's an action/drama/comedy about a Chinese Triad crime family in Los Angeles, staring Michelle Yeoh, who is great. If you like martial arts fighting, those scenes are well done. There is enough of ending that you not left with cliff hanger, though there are unanswered question that would've been the basis of Season 2.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2024 at 18:34
A couple of tru crime dramas from the states both starring a reasonable size Hollywood star.

The Dropout 8 episodes 
Set around the time of the aftermath of the 2007 Wall street crash, Elizabeth Holmes, a 19 year old college 'Dropout', wants to revolutionise healthcare and make her fortune in the process. Failure is not an option for this very driven attractive blonde played by Amanda Seyfried as she attempts to raise capital investment for her 'start up'. A lot of humour and a fun watch, great supporting cast including Stephen Fry as British chemist Ian Gibbons. 8/10

Under The Banner Of Heaven 7 episodes
Altogether more darker, this covers the investigation of an especially brutal murder of a young wife and her child within the Mormom community in the early 80's. If you think Islamic fundamentalism is bad enough then Mormon fundamentalism is on a whole different level of sh*t. Andrew Garfield's detective and practising Mormon has to solve the crime while under pressure not to expose secrets about the church that may show them in a bad light. Very impressive drama with excellent support from Gil Birmingham (well known for his role as the Native American tribal leader in Yellowstone) and Wyatt Russell (son of Kurt). 9/10
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2024 at 09:00
Finished series 2 of Halo last night. I loved the first series, but this felt a bit flat to me - and confusing at times as well. The action scenes were frantic but a great watch. 6/10 for this series. More to come, possibly the story can continue from where it left off?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2024 at 18:02

Finished series 2 of Halo last night. I loved the first series, but this felt a bit flat to me - and confusing at times as well. The action scenes were frantic but a great watch. 6/10 for this series. More to come, possibly the story can continue from where it left off?

I partly agree, although I wonder if that was because they put more of the video game into the second season? I still enjoyed it and thought there was some emotional impact to certain scenes so it wasn't just 'throw away' action stuff. I would go a little higher 7/10
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2024 at 18:21
Constellation Season 1 (8 episodes)
Apple TV continues to be the home of interesting new sci-fi drama now adding this mysterious little gem to it's portfilio that already includes Invasion, Foundation and Silo (all of which have been green lighted for future seasons). At the moment no announcement on this one although the writer Peter Harness seems quite hopeful. 
Starring Swedish actor Noomi Rapace , she is a dab hand at this sort of thing and is ably supported by young English acting twins Rosie and Davina Coleman playing her daughter (yes both play the same character!). Rapace plays an astronaut who seems to have experienced an hallucination during her mission in space that she is convinced is real. No one believes her of course but the 'truth' eventually turns out to be considerably stranger that anyone could have imagined. There isn't a lot of action, this is mainly about the relationship with her daughter and further odd goings on that make little sense until she discovers a couple of crackpots who seem to point her in the right direction. All very enjoyable and with a very mischevious ending that reminded me a tad of Tim Burton's Planet Of The Apes. How can this be real? 8/10

Edited by richardh - March 27 2024 at 18:23
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 15:45
The 3rd and final series of the awful La Brea. Thankfully only 6 shortish episodes. It's total crap but compulsive in a SBIG way. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 14:34
Time for more Zombies (my wife's choice btw). The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live - this tells the story of Rick and Michonne. Like the Daryl Dixon spin-off this is leagues above the last series of TWD and FTWD. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 23:41
Passenger Season 1 (6 Episodes)
I binged this last night and can't say too much about the plot as it could be a spoiler. Not typical ITV Prime time slot drama at all and this keeps you guessing all the way through. Have to say it's a little frustrating partly it seems because they want to leave open the possibility of future seasons. 7/10 

Edited by richardh - April 03 2024 at 23:41
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2024 at 23:37
^ reading up on Passenger there is no announcement of a second series yet. Writer Andrew Buchan seems keen to keep all his options open. I wouldn't be suprised if this migrated to Netflix as it has that sort of feel about it (some are calling it 'Stranger Things meets Happy Valley'). It's still running on ITV1 (in the UK) until next week when it finishes, so hopefully ITV will clarify then. (all episodes are available on it's streaming service ITVX)

Edited by richardh - April 04 2024 at 23:37
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2024 at 11:00
Started on 3 Body Problem last night. Based on a Chinese sci-fi story it's a slow build and lots of odd things going on between present day London and 1960/70s China. An interesting take on a well trodden theme. I'm really liking it so far.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2024 at 14:35
I've just watched episode 5 of 3 Body Problem. Just wow - brilliant. If you do start watching it just accept the first 4 episodes as scene setters, even if they seem a bit weird and silly. It will make sense later on. This episodes also has one of the best scenes/effects I've ever seen, just stunning. This is definitely my sort of show - top, top TV.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2024 at 22:56
The Gone Season 1 (6 episodes)
Another 6 episode thing with an annoying ending like Passenger. This joint Irish/ New Zealand production is about a young couple that suddenly go missing when in the middle of cooking a meal. Not a new or original scenario but it's well acted including some excellent Maori actors. One of those plays a character that is making her way as a police detective but clashing with her culture in pursuit of her duties. Again not particularly original but it all comes together well enough.7/10
(btw it has been green lighted for a second season)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2024 at 23:04
The 100 (Seasons 6 and 7)
I had to wait a few years to watch the final 2 seasons as I didn't want to pay the £50 at the time. Now available under my Prime membership I've been binging this in the last few months. It takes a while to get back into it but you get 13 episodes in S6 and 16 in S7 so eventually the well drawn disparate group of young characters takes hold again. It's as cheesy as hell at times but generally it remains one of the best and most popular sci-fi TV franchises (outside of the Star Wars and Star Trek spin offs) of the last 20 years. 8/10
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2024 at 05:12

I've just watched episode 5 of 3 Body Problem. Just wow - brilliant. If you do start watching it just accept the first 4 episodes as scene setters, even if they seem a bit weird and silly. It will make sense later on. This episodes also has one of the best scenes/effects I've ever seen, just stunning. This is definitely my sort of show - top, top TV.

I really liked 3 Body Problem too, and look forward to the continuation -- watched it with my wife as soon as it came out. It was my most anticipated series. And in 2023 I think my favourite Netflix series was Bodies.

I want to read the Three-Body Problem novels now. I had started on the earlier Chinese Three-Body version of it with what was made freely available streaming, and loved it. I heard that the Chinese version is on Prime so I might get a membership again to continue. I would like to compare, interested in the portrayals of China after the cultural revolution and to see other differences. I actually preferred the fist episode of the Chinese series to the first Netflix one.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2024 at 11:12
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I really liked 3 Body Problem too, and look forward to the continuation -- watched it with my wife as soon as it came out. It was my most anticipated series. And in 2023 I think my favourite Netflix series was Bodies.

I want to read the Three-Body Problem novels now. I had started on the earlier Chinese Three-Body version of it with what was made freely available streaming, and loved it. I heard that the Chinese version is on Prime so I might get a membership again to continue. I would like to compare, interested in the portrayals of China after the cultural revolution and to see other differences. I actually preferred the fist episode of the Chinese series to the first Netflix one.

I didn't know about the Chinese version from last year, so thanks for that as I'll probably watch that too (30 1 hour episodes though opposed to the Netflix 8 episodes - wow). I'll reads the books too - if I really like a TV show based on a book I'll always go and dig out the book to read - my wife doesn't understand that at all as she thinks it's daft to read something you know what's going to happen. Me, I just like the detail a book gives that a TV show/movie can rarely provide.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 10:16
We began watching Fallout last night. I know of the game from when I watched my lad playing it when he was younger. This TV series is a blast: humorous, gory, action-packed, a good story - definitely our sort of show. 2 episodes of 8 watched so far - brilliant.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 10:37
Minx (Dromedy)
(2022-2023)
7.5/10

Cancelled after season one this story of one of the first feminist erotic women's magazines found a new home on another service for a second season. But alas, it would not see a season three. Enjoyable, if not a somewhat familiar tale (think Halt and Catch Fire) is not for the prude. So many wiggly dinklers flopping about it would make The Full Monty blush. Good characters that deserved a little more development time. I'm sure 5 seasons would have been perfect to tell a complete story.

Edited by JD - April 14 2024 at 10:41
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 23:31
^ there is a second season, I started watching it before it got removed from Paramount (I assume licencing issues and not decency). There is a non floppy 'wiggly dinker' in Season 2 so perhaps pushing a few boundaries on what is allowable on TV.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 48495051>