Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TV shows you most recently finished watching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 51>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2021 at 21:01
Star Wars Rebels Pictures - Rotten Tomatoes
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2021 at 06:43
Finished Series 2 of See last night. Not as good as the first, but pretty enjoyable nonetheless, and more to come hopefully. 7/10 Season 2 (9/10 Season 1)
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2021 at 06:59
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Just finished Midnight Mass.  If you want a deep thinking, slow boiling, excellently acted and scary-as-hell series to watch for this Halloween season, this is THE one to watch.  The actors are many of the same cast as The Haunting of Hill House and The Haunting of Bly Manor and it was created and directed by Mike Flanagan, same as The Haunting mini-series.  

I'm not going to tell you much about it, other than the build up is slow at first, but the character development is excellent.  There are scenes throughout that will stick with you for a long time.  And there are so many messages here plus a lot of homage to Stephen King, Anne Rice and others.  This is one of the best horror series I have watched recently and it will not only frighten you, but it will make you think and even pull at the heartstrings.  There is a lot of talking, but I never got bored with the dialogue as everything seemed to pertain to the big picture.  It's almost perfect.  9.5/10

I've only watched the first 2 episodes but the second episode knocked my every which way sideways and now I'm fully 'in'. Its very impressive in the character development side and that is so important to generate tension. There were some fantastic acting and scenes in the Haunting of Hill House , especially the one with the 2 sisters when they were in the car (and then out) . This production team clearly understand drama in its basic form as well as what really works horror wise. 

Must admit it took a turn I wasn't expecting! I binged the rest on Monday and it didn't disappoint. I felt that all the characters were given due respect and consideration making quite realistic choices (although I expect some will argue this point!) and also importantly it never gave into just using shocks for the sake of it . I don't think its a spoiler to say that some CGI is used but it totally looked real to me. I loved the poetic end which as previously pointed out, stays with you. 10/10

I'm happy to hear you loved it.  It's one that I'll remember for quite a while and probably will use it as a bar to measure other series that are of the same genre.  It's definitely one of the best of its kind with some of the strongest character development that I've seen in its genre in a long time.

I finished that the other day on my mothers recommendation (she in turn heard about it from Stephen King's twitter). I very much liked it, especially the character of Priest. I did have to suspend my disbelief over some things and did find it predictable, but I enjoyed it for sure. I saw the set at Gary Point Park in Steveston, Richmond, BC, Canada when I went for a walk there one day. Maybe check out The Apostle on Netflix. And for another island series with folk horror and religious aspects, I love The Third Day (featuring Jude Law and written by the maker of the original British Utopia TV series).

Edited by Logan - October 24 2021 at 07:03
Just a fanboy passin' through.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2021 at 00:59
The Bambers : Murder at The Farm (2021 4 episodes).

There is already an excellent dramatisation starring Stephen Graham about the notorious brutal murders carried out at White House Farm in the eighties. Jeremy Bamber was convicted of the crimes but has protested his innocence ever since. However The High Court dismissed his appeal in 2002 despite there having been many obvious mistakes made by the police during the initial investigation. However there were only 2 suspects and he had the biggest motive (money) . He tried to blame his adopted sister (one of the victims as it looked initially that she had killed her family before turning the gun on herself)  and is still trying to pin it on her to this day.
Louis Theroux, in this Sky documentary, delves very deep with as many opinions as he can muster from various parties. There are those including Peter Tatchell (former political advisor and human rights activist) that believe this was a serious miscarriage of justice. Fascinating stuff, make your own mind up! 9/10

Edited by richardh - October 27 2021 at 01:03
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2021 at 02:33
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

My wife and I finished Squid Game last night. We only watched one a day so it could be fully appreciated and to focus on the subs (we won't watched dubbed shows). I'd put it up there with one of the best TV shows ever, along with Breaking Bad and The Leftovers. Easily 10/10.
I liked it too. However, it was so similar to the Saw movies that I predicted how it would end by the third episode. People are placed in horrible situations where they play "games". Villians both are rich, dying, and participate in games. The difference is, in Saw the people are forced to play, where Sqid Game it's their choice.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2021 at 12:16
'Lucifer' on Netflix..........one of my guilty pleasures because of Tom Ellis....really enjoyed his slick  portrayal of Satan.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2021 at 03:29
^ I enjoy Lucifer as well. certainly my favourite show when it was made by Amazon Prime , then Netflix brought it back for Season 4 onwards and it didn't seem quite as good somehow although I still like it.

Squid Game is a real problem for me . The main character is so annoying it's ridiculous and the episodes are just a bit too long. I decided to bale out half way through episode 2 although everyone I speak to likes it a lot. I don't know if I will return to it though as there are so many other good things across Sky, Apple TV, Amazon Prime, BBC as well as Netflix that I would rather concentrate on for the time being. 
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2021 at 05:52
A bit of a side question here...
Has anyone ever seen any of these shows?

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2021 at 10:20
^Saw Camelot, Manimal.and Terra Nova.....I liked Camelot...had a good cast but the Arthur story was a bit dull at times but Green and Egerton were easy on the eyes.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2021 at 12:15
^ Manimal and Terra Nova. One could see where the money went on Terra Nova, and it wasn't the script.

Edited by Gentle and Giant - November 02 2021 at 12:15
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2021 at 02:02
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

A bit of a side question here...
Has anyone ever seen any of these shows?

Enjoyed Terra Nova and would have liked a second season.

I would argue that The Get Down was not a flop at all. It covered in great detail an important part of music history as well as history in general and didn't need a second season imo.

The rest pretty much never got to the UK. Thankfully we do have some 'quality control'!

Edited by richardh - November 03 2021 at 02:07
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2021 at 02:06
Dr Death 2021 (8 episodes)

not a really bad 1950's B movie but a very interesting dramatisation of actual events that happened in hospitals in the USA between 2012-2017. A rogue doctor (played extremely well by Joshua Jackson) is pursued by a couple of surgeons (played by Christian Slater and Alec Baldwin). Just about the most addictive thing I've watched for a while. 9.5/10.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2021 at 05:13
Well we finally finished all 10 seasons (and the after movie).
MI-5 (Spooks) 2002-2011
As I stated in an earlier post this is a great spy show with twists and turns where no cast member is safe.
Very highly recommended. Overall series gets an 8.5/10 from us.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2021 at 13:26
Finished Season 2 of the French Sci-fi Missions. A bit of a slow start but picked up when they got back into space. More to come I guess. 7/10
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2021 at 14:37
Nine Perfect Strangers 2021
(8 Episodes)
7.5/10

A Psychological drama featuring an 'A' list cast including Nicole Kidman, Melissa McCarthy Michael Shannon, Luke Evans and Asher Keddie just to name a few.
Great characters in a little bit of a disjointed story about self discovery and the journey to healing.
Strong recommendation.

Edited by JD - November 04 2021 at 14:38
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2021 at 01:23
Goliath S1-4
Sad to see this series finish . Billy Bob Thornton brings his considerable acting clout to always engaging storylines. He is the 'David', a retired lawyer hired to take on massive corporations trying to cover up their evil doings. 9/10.

Mr Corman S1  
Something different , written by Joseph Gordon-Levitt who also takes the lead role of a 30 something school teacher with anxiety issues. I found it engaging although the lead character is not that lovable or always that nice. However the very varied and interesting supporting cast helps elevate it. Maybe not one of Apple TV's best efforts but not a flop necessarily. 6/10

Edited by richardh - November 08 2021 at 15:47
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2021 at 04:00

Squid Game is a real problem for me . The main character is so annoying it's ridiculous and the episodes are just a bit too long. I decided to bale out half way through episode 2 although everyone I speak to likes it a lot. I don't know if I will return to it

I know what you mean about the main character, but that changes quickly as we learn more about him. I re-watched it with my wife and realized how funny he was, especially in those early episodes - the gambling bits, accidentally giving a gun to his child for a birthday, asking for another loan from the collection thugs who just beat him... LOL Also, the episodes are quite short compared to most K-dramas, which are often movie-length. (One of the Squid Game episodes is only about 30 minutes long.)

Edited by jude111 - November 08 2021 at 07:06
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2021 at 05:35

Goliath S1-4
Sad to see this series finish . Billy Bob Thornton brings his considerable acting clout to always engaging storylines. He is the 'David', a retired lawyer hired to take on massive corporations trying to cover up their evil doings. 9/10.

Mr Corman S1  
Something different , written by John Gordon-Levitt who also takes the lead role of a 30 something school teacher with anxiety issues. I found it engaging although the lead character is not that lovable or always that nice. However the very varied and interesting supporting cast helps elevate it. Maybe not one of Apple TV's best efforts but not a flop necessarily. 6/10
Joseph Gordon-Levitt not John.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2021 at 15:35
Midnight Mass - Very religious and a few too many monologues, but a gripping watch nonetheless with a loose thread that could lead to further seasons. 9/10 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 01:41
Foundation S1 2021 (8 episodes)

I presume a very expensive Apple sci-fi series that barely managed to get off the ground. I love Lee Pace as an actor, suitably very arrogant as 'Empire' the clone dynasty , and this made it watchable as much as anything. Overall not bad and certainly visually spectacular but not as engaging as, say, The Expanse drama wise. Has the potential to get better (Season 2) has been commissioned. 7/10
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 51>