Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TV shows you most recently finished watching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 51>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 01:50
Stanger Things 4 (9 episodes)
Dare I even try and review this thing?! I suspect Netflix may have set some record with a season finale lasting 2 hours and 20 minutes! 
Sad to say I felt it lacked any real emotional punch even if the money spent makes it look good. It was nothing really new though and felt like a bloated hollywood type sequel (Avengers: Infinity Wars springs to mind) . Possibly yet another example of Netflix losing its way.6/10
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 02:00
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Stanger Things 4 (9 episodes)
Dare I even try and review this thing?! I suspect Netflix may have set some record with a season finale lasting 2 hours and 20 minutes! 
Sad to say I felt it lacked any real emotional punch even if the money spent makes it look good. It was nothing really new though and felt like a bloated hollywood type sequel (Avengers: Infinity Wars springs to mind) . Possibly yet another example of Netflix losing its way.6/10

I watched its first 2 seasons, and I "tried" to watch the 3rd, but failed. Anyhow, I believe I'll watch the rest much later, rather than too sooner, and I figure I'll agree with you.

Edited by Archisorcerus - July 04 2022 at 02:01
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 03:03

going back to UFO , one of the stars was Wanda Ventham who also happens to be the mother of Benedict Cumberbatch!

Another star of UFO was purple-haired Gabrielle Drake, who also happened to be the sister of legendary folk singer Nick Drake. Broken Heart

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 04 2022 at 03:04
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2022 at 11:09
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

going back to UFO , one of the stars was Wanda Ventham who also happens to be the mother of Benedict Cumberbatch!

Another star of UFO was purple-haired Gabrielle Drake, who also happened to be the sister of legendary folk singer Nick Drake. Broken Heart

crikey I would never have made that connection! 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2022 at 11:13
The Boys Season 3  8 episodes (2022)
While Stranger Things goes down the upside down toilet, this other heavily hyped TV series gets better and better. Certainly plenty of surprises in the story and great acting from the likes of Karl Urban and Anthony Starr. Filmed 'down under' this is one up for the Aussies! 10/10
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2022 at 11:16
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

[EDIT]
          I have been thinking of giving Space 1999 another chance; it has been quite a while since viewing it.
Martin Landau & Barbara Bain ROCK ! It was a natural transition from Thunderbirds to UFO to Space 1999 for this young lad.
F.A.B.! You can count me in for those Gerry Anderson "Supermarionation" shows too, as well as Captain Scarlet, Joe 90 and Stingray. 

Thunderbirds Are Go!! Thumbs Up

Music by Barry Gray
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2022 at 09:59
The Last Kingdom Season 5 2022 (10 episodes)
from what I can ascertain this is the last season of this excellent Viking drama following the story of 'Utrid son of Utrid' basically a 'half breed' mix of Dane and Anglo-Saxon. Despite his mix loyalties he helps the English defend their territories against the invading Dane's and eventually repels a Scottis excursion in Northumbria. That's the bare facts. It gets better after season 2 when Netflix took over the show from the BBC. You notice the difference in the battle scenes especially. It's all good bloody fun and a look at a time when England was slowly coming together as one nation. BTW the title 'The Last Kingdom' refers to Wessex (most of the South Of England) that remained under English rule when the North was pretty much under the thumb of the Vikings. 8/10 for this season , overall about 9/10.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2022 at 10:35
Stranger Thing Series 4. The last episode was pretty good and didn't feel overlong (2hr20). But this series is the weakest of the 4 so far. Also some of the characters were there because they had to be without adding very much to the story. There was an opportunity in this show to milk the 80s vibe and fill it with music of the time. We got some tunes but not enough for me, and as much as I like Kate Bush I won't be playing Running Up That Hill for some time to come. 6/10 for this series.

The Time Travellers Wife
TV series. I'd heard of the book and the subsequent movie and I thought it was some soppy chick flick, but this new TV series was getting some good reviews so I gave it a go. Created by Steven Moffatt, both stars are also British (it's an American show). OK there is an element of romance, but it's funny at times too and a well thought out time travelling story, executed excellently by all involved. It ended quite suddenly though and I expected more to come but seems it's been cancelled. Shame. I was getting a bit fed up with seeing Theo James naked all the time, slamming down into one awkward situation after another. They showed his arse way too much, but never the front, until the end when it seemed they couldn't be bothered hiding his todger any more lol. 8/10

Finished The Boys series 3 last night. I love this show, hampered slightly by the appalling cockney accent from Karl Urban - I suppose Americans think it's spot on though, much in the vein of Dick Van Dyke. Antony Starr is incredible and such a different role than Banshee. I feel they need to mix things up a bit now. And it's a bit too crude sometimes. I'm no prude but some of the stuff is really cringe. 9/10
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2022 at 03:05
^ I can cope with the over the top accent of Karl Urban because the character is well over the top. Weirdly it was only very recently that I made the the connection to Banshee re Antony Starr. I loved that show.

I have not checked out The Time Travellers wife for reasons I'm not sure about. I think possibly Time Travel things can get very silly. That probably goes for The Lazarus Project as well although I gave in and have started watching it. It does have a very clever idea of a reset date. Basically you can reset time on the previous 1 July in order to go back and try and avoid 'global extinction events' , ie by changing/fixing events that lead to these. However all the main characters are able to retain their memories so are aware of time being reset. Now imagine if you are a woman and pregnant and end up giving birth multiple times across several time lines. Does lead to extra some dramatic potential which appeals to me. Still watching at the moment , about 4 episodes in, but its certainly clever and very intricate.

Edited by richardh - July 18 2022 at 03:09
jess.fin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jess.fin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2022 at 07:21
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

Stranger Thing Series 4. The last episode was pretty good and didn't feel overlong (2hr20). But this series is the weakest of the 4 so far. Also some of the characters were there because they had to be without adding very much to the story. There was an opportunity in this show to milk the 80s vibe and fill it with music of the time. We got some tunes but not enough for me, and as much as I like Kate Bush I won't be playing Running Up That Hill for some time to come. 6/10 for this series.
I've just started to finally watch Season 4 after having fixed the firestick problem. Fortunately, I found the https://www.firesticktricks.com/fix-firestick-buffering.html tutorial to do that. However, I first had to watch all previous three seasons, because of all those comments I constantly came across.

Edited by jess.fin - August 10 2022 at 00:50
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2022 at 07:32
I enjoyed Season 4 of Stranger Things, but I too got pretty sick of that Bush tune. If I had to do that like Max, I would get so, so sick of the music. I'd play a more diverse selection of music. I love Kate Bush, but I'd rather it had been Bauhaus. Or Babooshka would have been more fun.

"I'm all yours
Babooshka, babooshka, babooshka ja, ja
All yours
All yours
Babooshka, babooshka, babooshka ja, ja"

Not long ago I finished watching The Responder with Martin Freeman, which I enjoyed. It's a police drama series set in Liverpool.

Edited by Logan - July 22 2022 at 07:33
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2022 at 07:57
Watching The Handmaid's Tale again which is really disturbing in light of recent events. 
 Doesn't seem so far fetched right now. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2022 at 02:23
a couple of excellent British dramas

The Control Room 2022 3 episodes 
BBC Scotland production set in an emergency call centre in Glasgow. Very intricately plotted although warning that the accents are the thickest Scottish I've come across!

Suspect 2022 8 episodes.
Again a brilliant bit of writing starring James Nesbitt and Joel Richardson with an appearance by Richard E Grant playing a very slimy venture capitalist.

I enjoyed Suspect slightly more especially for the 'why didn't I think of that' ending. 9/10 (8/10 for The Control Room)

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2022 at 19:10

Severance 2022

Mystery / Sci-Fi
9/10

Mark leads a team of office workers whose memories have been surgically divided between their work and personal lives. Neither personality knows anything about the other, they are completely severed...or are they?

Well Holy 5hit people this has got to be one of the coolest shows we've seen in quite some time. The 9 episode season starts off slowly, building the mystery and intrigue but by the season finale you'll be absolutely on the edge of your seat. Season ender cliff hanger of all cliff hangers firmly planted the hook in us for season two.

If you can get your hands on this show WATCH IT !!!

Edited by JD - August 03 2022 at 15:55
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 14:54
Farzar 2022 10 episodes

Very adult animation (used to be called 'Adult Swim' for reasons that elude me) building on the success of Paradise PD. This time it's sci-fi based and the main character of the show title (voiced by the wonderful Lance Reddick) is the very un-pc ruler of his world. Its totally barmy, extremely rude (more so than even Rick and Morty by some distance!) but very clever and a lot of fun to watch. 8/10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2022 at 05:53
Series 3 of The Umbrella Academy. It remains a well made, solid show and is still as good as previous seasons. The first episode was a blast, though I expect it was made at the end of season 2 as everyone looked different from the second episode of this series. This show is so much better than Doom Patrol, which is just too weird. I enjoyed this series more than 1 or 2 too. Not sure why, but it felt a bit different and a great ending too. 9/10 this season.

Halo. I've played the game briefly with my son a few years back, but know little of any story arc. Maybe gamers will dislike it, but coming from my point of view, it's quite good. It's a bit cheesy and a little cliched but the scope and scale are impressive. The opening battle is very well done indeed. You know sometimes, I get side-tracked and only give limited attention to a show, but for some reason Halo really kept my attention throughout. There were a couple of duller episodes, but overall (9 eps) the pace kept me gripped and I found it really enjoyable. Some of the battle scenes were excellently done, especially the first person perspective moments (like a fps game). The CGI was well done too and the alien planets look spectacular in 4K HDR10. My rating to 9/10

More zombies with Resident Evil - the TV show. I've watched all the movies from this franchise and they've all been pretty crap to be frank. Anyway I went in to this quite cold and knew nothing about it at all. But my wife and I enjoyed the first 4 episodes quite a lot and it's well done overall. Again though they've used black actors for what were originally white characters, but that seems normal these days. Anyway I checked out the show on iMDB - 3.8 lol. It really isn't that bad, but the aforementioned fact that the characters have been changed and possibly the reviewers are Resident Evil game fanboys leads partly to such a low score I think. Me, I'll give it 6.5/10.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2022 at 01:13
^ I asked my Nephews about Halo as I've only seen the first episode (which I liked) but they are very down on it. I enjoyed Resident Evil a lot though and as you say it's been panned by a lot of people who are into the game. I mentioned Lance Reddick in my post above (he voices Farzar) and he is also in Resident Evil. I think that' also a reason I enjoyed it. He's a superb actor imo.

Can't say I enjoyed Umbrella Academy first season that much. It just dragged for me and the characters were plain dull. I gave up after episode 2 of the second season. Doom Patrol is much more my thing mainly because the characters are more interesting. Admittedly the plots make little sense but I've never been that bothered about plots as long as I'm entertained.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2022 at 01:20
Terminal List 2022 8 episodes

Chris Pratt stars in this adaption of a book. Its a conspiracy thriller story about the US government using experimental drugs on Navy Seals without their consent. Most end up with brain tumours so the govt tries to cover its tracks by having them all killed on a mission by giving intel to the enemy. However Chris Pratt's character survives so he goes on a mission to track the perpetrators down. It's commendably kept as down to earth as possible with nothing too ridiculous or far fetched thrown into the mix. I liked it but never felt that emotionally involved. Pratt is very good but its just lacked something at the end of the day. 6.5/10 
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2022 at 06:09
Pushing Daisies (2007-2009)
Comedy/Fantasy
Lee Pace, Anna Firel
7.5/10
A pastry chef with the power to bring dead people back to life solves murder mysteries with his resurrected childhood sweetheart, a cynical private investigator, and a lovesick waitress.

Season two was a little better than season one. The narration got a bit tedious but there were some cute moments. An easy watch while we were eating dinner.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2022 at 08:52
6 episodes through a series that's being shown on Channel 5 in the UK called La Brea. Basically a massive sink hole opens up in the middle of LA. All those that fall in end up going back in time to LA 10000 BC. It's a good idea, but most of the money must have been spent on the pilot as after that it becomes a cliched, formulaic drag (akin to the tripe shows that were Terra Nova and Revolution). I'll see it through though - the masochist that I am. 4/10
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 51>