Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TV shows you most recently finished watching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 51>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2022 at 15:02
The Lazarus Project 2022 8 episodes

This Sky Original show always looked a bit of a 'filler' thing to go in the schedules. The basic plot is that a secret government agency has the ability to reset time and take it back to July 1st (but no earlier) . This is to avoid 'mass extinction events' (ie Nuclear war mainly). So 30 June becomes a checkpoint date. It's an interesting idea that gives rise to all sorts of possibilities that are well explored. Not that many well known actors, I recognised Caroline Quenton from Men Behaving Badly and Tom Burke from The Musketeers but don't let that put you off. 7.5/10
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2022 at 15:21
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

6 episodes through a series that's being shown on Channel 5 in the UK called La Brea. Basically a massive sink hole opens up in the middle of LA. All those that fall in end up going back in time to LA 10000 BC. It's a good idea, but most of the money must have been spent on the pilot as after that it becomes a cliched, formulaic drag (akin to the tripe shows that were Terra Nova and Revolution). I'll see it through though - the masochist that I am. 4/10

I also watched it and was disappointed...there will be a season 2 btw.

I much preferred 'Debris 'which  sadly was not renewed...

Haven't watched 'Stranger Things' finale yet but sounds like I 'll be disappointed.

Looking forward to the ne w season of Umbrella Academy.

Just started it but I highly recommend 'The Sandman' on Netflix.

Edited by dr wu23 - August 14 2022 at 15:28
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2022 at 19:39
Ted Lasso (Season 1)
Comedy/Sports
7.3/10

A sort of British take on 1989's Major League with Charlie Sheen and Tom Berenger.
A decent 30 min comedy show to watch while having dinner.

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2022 at 04:41
we watched all 6 episodes of "The Tourist" yesterday, an Australian TV-series that was filmed in 2021 and first aired in 2022 about a man who loses his memory after a car accident and gets into all kinds of trouble. each episode was just beneath the one hour mark, and since there were no summaries of the previous episodes at the beginning of episodes 2-6 it was like watching a 350 minutes movie. highly entertaining with lots of totally unexpected twists and turns, with the occasional really funny moment that had us both laugh out loud thrown in for good measure. the beginning was a little homage to the first Spielberg movie "Duel": a truck chasing a limousine.

we especially loved the character of Probationary Constable Helen Chambers, brilliantly portrayed by Danielle Macdonald; she stole every scene she was in. whoever says fat women can't be sexy?

I give this series 10 out of 10

Edited by BaldJean - August 15 2022 at 09:08

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2022 at 05:39
Paper Girls (Season 1) on Amazon. Baed on comic series from 2015 to 2019. The story starts on Nov. 1, 1988 and the four lead characters are 12-year old newspaper delivery girls. They find themselves time-traveling to 2019 as they are caught up in the middle of a time war. They meet and learn about their future selves. There are comparisons to Stranger Things for its 80s nostalgia and its young cast. It maintains focus on the 4 leading characters. The soundtrack is good covering the years as they also travel to 1999. It's a coming of age story that feels a bit like Stand By Me. The characters aren't friends at the beginning but you can see that development over the episodes. The first season ends with the story unfinished and needing a Season 2. (8/10)
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2022 at 08:22
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

we watched all 6 episodes of "The Tourist" yesterday, an Australian TV-series that was filmed in 2021 and first aired in 2022 about a man who loses his memory after a car accident and gets into all kinds of trouble. each episode was just beneath the one hour mark, and since there were no summaries of the previous episodes at the beginning of episodes 2-6 it was like watching a 350 minutes movie. highly entertaining with lots of totally unexpected twists and turns, with the occasional really funny moment that had us both laugh out loud thrown in for good measure. the beginning was a little homage to the first Spielberg movie "Duel": a truck chasing a limousine.

we especially loved the character of Probationary Constable Helen Chambers, brilliantly portrayed by Danielle Macdonald; she stole every scene she was in. whoever says fat woman can't be sexy?

I give this series 10 out of 10

I enjoyed The Tourist too, and you're right Danielle Macdonald played the Constable brilliantly. She really raised the show.

Currently we are 6 episodes in of The Sandman. I love these sort of shows and Neil Gaiman has written some great books (sadly American Gods went to pot after the first series). In this The Dream King is captured accidentally and in doing so loses all his 'tools'. A great cast, the story follows the King trying to recover his items. David Thewlis is phenomenal (as in Fargo too) and Gwendiline Christie is perfect for her role as well. 9.5/10 so far
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2022 at 10:24
Last night was the finale of Westworld season 4, which I liked very much (the series in general). I finished the latest season of Dark the other day. I also finished the latest season of Stranger Things recently. Regarding The Sandman, I am a Gaiman fan. I have not read the comics (almost bought the great, big graphic novels set a couple of years ago at a great price, wish I had), and I adored the Audible audio drama of The Sandman (especially the episode The Collectors). Probably because I loved the Audible version so much, I have had a lot of difficulty getting into The Netflix version which is significantly different. I loved the characters in the audio series. I guess in audio you have to exaggerate certain qualities to make up for the lack of visuals, and I find the line deliveries so flat in comparison, and not as darkly comedic, in the TV series. I read a review criticising the Audible that it was too faithful to the source material instead of updating and adapting it to fit our times. Worked for me anyway.

I had also loved the audio (BBC radio) version of Good Omens. In that case I did enjoy the book, the radio series, and the amazon series.

Edited by Logan - August 15 2022 at 10:38
Just a fanboy passin' through.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2022 at 20:39
I watched the season finale of Westworld a day late and it does seem to set up well for a final season. And I have enjoyed the series overall, and found the fourth season to be an improvement over the previous two.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2022 at 21:33
Professor T.

Sort of like an English Monk but better and about an obsessive/compulsive criminology teacher rather than a troubled germophobic detective.   Not bad.   From the Belgian series.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2022 at 03:08
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Professor T.

Sort of like an English Monk but better and about an obsessive/compulsive criminology teacher rather than a troubled germophobic detective.   Not bad.   From the Belgian series.

German TV did a version of this series too. here a trailer with English subtitles:

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 04:28
Better Call Saul, final season. Exceptional writing and acting. One of the finest shows on TV.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 06:58
Finished The Sandman the other night. Really good and it kept my interest throughout. It sort of had 2 separate stories though and the the first 6 episodes (story 1) were much better than the last 4 (story 2). Anyway there must be loads to come with the available source material from Neil Gaiman.  9.5/10 for the first 6 eps, 8/10 for the rest.  P.S. Top marks for anyone spotting Lenny Henry in this.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 10:29
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Better Call Saul, final season. Exceptional writing and acting. One of the finest shows on TV.

Yep have to agree. I thought the ending was as beautifully underplayed as always. Kim Wexler and Saul Goodman sharing a cig, not saying much and then its done apart from a final scene which might be a bit of a spolier if I describe it!. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 10:32
Currently re-watching the last 3 seasons of Game Of Thrones before House of the Dragon premieres on Sunday/Monday (depending on where you are in the world) . After that its Lord Of The Ring prequel and See to look forward to. Great times for TV!
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 16:25
^ When I rewatched GoT the first time (I've gone on to watch the whole series another eight times or so) I was amazed both at how much I'd forgotten and how much more storyline I grasped.   I find it endlessly watchable and endlessly complex in its depth.

Oh--  and the final season is much better than people thought, I don't understand the issue with it.  I think it was one of the best seasons of the series.

Edited by Atavachron - August 18 2022 at 16:30
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 19:12
we are currently watching a TV-series in Russian (with English subtitles) called "The Professor". it is about a medical professor who occasionally helps the police solving crimes in 1912. the series has 8 episodes; we watched the first 3 so far. each episode has a different crime to be solved, but there is a continuous larger plot that slowly unravels. it is not just a crime series; there is a huge element of mystery involved too. highly enjoyable!

the series can actually be found on YouTube; I'll give a link to the first episode:

Edited by BaldJean - August 18 2022 at 19:14

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2022 at 03:42
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ When I rewatched GoT the first time (I've gone on to watch the whole series another eight times or so) I was amazed both at how much I'd forgotten and how much more storyline I grasped.   I find it endlessly watchable and endlessly complex in its depth.

Oh--  and the final season is much better than people thought, I don't understand the issue with it.  I think it was one of the best seasons of the series.

Generally it seemed people didn't believe the story arc that lead Daenerys to go 'psycho' . I didn't mind it personally but it was funny how many people were upset by how it ended.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2022 at 03:50
Trom 2022 6 episodes

IMDB synopsis
After a missing animal rights activist is found amid a local whale hunt, journalist Hannis Martinsson risks his own skin on the trail of a spectacular story, sending shock waves through the isolated island community of the Faroes

I think this is one of those things that needs to be binged. Not much to the story but always interesting to watch TV shows shot on small island communities. This is the not the only one about at the moment as we have Shetland and Annika (set on the Isle of Bute) . I liked it, plenty of intensity and an ending that made sense but leaving option for a further season. BTW filmed in the native language (Icelandic) but sub titles available. 7/10
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2022 at 03:55
For All Mankind Season 3 2022 (10 episodes)

Certainly one my favourite shows that tells an alternative version of the space race between the US and Russia. Season 3 centres on the race to Mars in the 1990's and also we have the first female president of the USA in charge. It's all a bit whimsical at times but it also throws in a few good shocks as well. I loved the tension and was very emotionally involved. Hopefully there is one more season on the horizon. 9/10
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2022 at 06:02
Ted Lasso (Season 2)
Comedy/Sports
7.5/10

The story continues as AFC Richmond fight their way back to the premier league.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 51>