Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TV shows you most recently finished watching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 51>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2022 at 01:16
Originally posted by operationStone operationStone wrote:

The last one I fished watching was Arcane, which is brilliant. The animation and the plot are magnificent, and I loved the show, even though I have never played League of Legends.

I couldn't get into it at all but my Nephew who has very good taste rated it as one of the best animated series he's ever seen. Maybe I'll try again as some point.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2022 at 04:58
Just one more episode of the BBC's Inside Man to go (only 4 episodes in total) - I'm really intrigued how this is going to play out. Some the character's actions are certainly bizarre, but keeps the plot moving along I suppose.

Also I've just discovered that there are actually 8 more episodes of The Walking Dead to go (not 2 as I thought). Good God it'll never end.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2022 at 08:40
^ Not sure whether to review Inside Man as it could be a spoiler so will leave that to you (my rating is 8/10)

Crossfire 2022 3 episodes

Thriller/drama surrounding a terror attack at a holiday resort. Starring Keeley Hawes, it does a good job in teasing out the tension and suspense, but I most liked the attention it gave to the aftermath. Questions such 'who is really a hero?' and 'do we take too much for granted' are posed and dealt with very well. It's not anything particularly earth shattering but certainly worth a look. 7/10  
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2022 at 10:35
we just finished watching the first two seasons of "HIP" (short for "Hyperactive Intelligent Person"), a French cop series about an attractive woman of the age of 38 and an IQ of 160 but with chaotic interactions with other people named Morgane Alvaro (she reminded me a lot of Friede, who also has an IQ of 160 and similar chaotic interactions). in the first episode she works as cleaning woman for the French police in Lille. while cleaning she pushes down some papers about a case (a man was found shot dead in his house, and his wife is missing and suspected to be the murderer) from a desk with her ass. she reads them, and on the police whiteboard for the case she crosses out the words "fugitive suspect" under the name of the wife and instead puts the word "victim" there.

the police quickly find out who wrote this (there is a video camera in the room she cleaned) and call her in. she then shows the police three mistakes they made, which makes the jaws of the flics (French name for "cops") drop. while she is still there the police look at another video showing a possible suspect enter the house the body was found in, and Morgane says "the video was manipulated", which the flics ignore at first. Morgane demonstrates why the video was manipulated, which results in the female chief of the police in Lille offering her a job as external adviser for the police. she gets a male partner, who likes to stick to the rules and has a habit of washing his hands way too often; the two don't get along well with each other at first, and you know what this always leads to in the end.

both seasons had 8 episodes each, so 16 episodes in the whole. there also is backstory for Morgane incorporated which slowly resolves in these episodes. a highly entertaining series with a great leading woman; I give it 9.5 out of 10; I would have given it a 10 if her love interest was female instead of male, but that's not really a flaw, just a personal preference.

what I especially liked about the series is that Morgane always dresses outrageously and very sexy and always wears extremely extravagant earrings in each episode, which often change; my guess is that she wore between 50 and 60 different pairs of earrings in the series

Edited by BaldJean - October 15 2022 at 03:39

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2022 at 14:45
Derry Girls - Season 3.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2022 at 15:13
Completed the Dahmer series tonight: Dahmer - Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story. Maybe 3 or 4 episodes too long. I'm sure Evan Peters deserves an award for his portrayal of Dahmer, but due to the subject matter he likely won't. 8/10
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2022 at 01:14
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

we just finished watching the first two seasons of "HIP" (short for "Hyperactive Intelligent Person"), a French cop series about an attractive woman of the age of 38 and an IQ of 160 but with chaotic interactions with other people named Morgane Alvaro (she reminded me a lot of Friede, who also has an IQ of 160 and similar chaotic interactions). in the first episode she works as cleaning woman for the French police in Lille. while cleaning she pushes down some papers about a case (a man was found shot dead in his house, and his wife is missing and suspected to be the murderer) from a desk with her ass. she reads them, and on the police whiteboard for the case she crosses out the words "fugitive suspect" under the name of the wife and instead puts the word "victim" there.

the police quickly find out who wrote this (there is a video camera in the room she cleaned) and call her in. she then shows the police three mistakes they made, which makes the jaws of the flics (French name for "cops") drop. while she is still there the police look at another video showing a possible suspect enter the house the body was found in, and Morgane says "the video was manipulated", which the flics ignore at first. Morgane demonstrates why the video was manipulated, which results in the female chief of the police in Lille offering her a job as external adviser for the police. she gets a male partner, who likes to stick to the rules and has a habit of washing his hands way too often; the two don't get along well with each other at first, and you know what this always leads to in the end.

both season had 8 episodes each, so 16 episodes in the whole. there also is backstory for Morgane incorporated which slowly resolves in these episodes. a highly entertaining series with a great leading woman; I give it 9.5 out of 10; I would have given it a 10 if her love interest was female instead of male, but that's not really a flaw, just a personal preference.

what I especially liked about the series is that Morgane always dresses outrageously and very sexy and always wears extremely extravagant earrings in each episode, which often change; my guess is that she wore between 50 and 60 different pairs of earrings in the series

I hope this comes onto Amazon Prime Video or the like for streaming. I enjoy a French TV series now and then and this seems quirky.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2022 at 01:16
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

Derry Girls - Season 3.

any thoughts at all?

Personally I enjoyed it a lot and was turned onto it by an Irish lady at work who grew up in Ireland in the 90's and felt it was quite personal to her.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2022 at 01:19
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

Completed the Dahmer series tonight: Dahmer - Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story. Maybe 3 or 4 episodes too long. I'm sure Evan Peters deserves an award for his portrayal of Dahmer, but due to the subject matter he likely won't. 8/10

don't know if I really want to watch this even if its quality.

I've just started the series The Watcher which looks like it could be another Netflix horror classic. The cast inc support is absolutely superb.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2022 at 03:02
The Watcher 2022 7 episodes

Not quite the classic I was hoping for but highly enjoyable nevertheless. It's that old horror set up , family moves from the city into a new house but it seems to have a 'stalker'. Not only that there are some very weird neighbours who are not just very unhelpful but seem to think they don't need to observe the normal boundaries. Won't say too much but with a cast including Naomi Watts. Bobby Cannivale and Mia Farrow it's well worth watching! 7/10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2022 at 04:10
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

don't know if I really want to watch this even if its quality.

I've just started the series The Watcher which looks like it could be another Netflix horror classic. The cast inc support is absolutely superb.

Dahmer is not as gory as it could have been, but it's quite unpleasant viewing for sure. The Watcher looks interesting and on my list of upcoming watches.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2022 at 04:53
Recently watched:-

The A Team
Brush Strokes
The Fall Guy
One Foot in the Grave
Only Fools and Horses
Prime Suspect
Spooks
Ultimate Force

Currently watching:-

Sleeper Cell
The Streets of San Francisco

Planning to watch:-

Cracker (in memory of Robbie Coltrane) 
Waterloo Road

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2022 at 06:10
Hi,

Been watching House of Dragons and Rings of Power lately.

I don't dislike these much, although I think that they are too damn stuck on looking and sounding like the previous incarnation of the whole thing. Right from the start it is difficult to not see Gandalf in the character that he is shown as a destitute and downtrodden person. In the House of Dragons, things are a bit different but the one thing that is there is the complete copy of the original GoT show. The directors in this series did not know how to add/change/create characters that differed from the original. All the elders, sound the same and are a total carbon copy of the original to the point of being boring! And the tale of the women, in this series is ridiculous, considering how history has given us a story that was vastly different, and women were secondary and subservient for the most part. Here, it is like they control the works, and while I am OK with most of it, I found the method it was done a total reversal of the original GoT where the women were not as important as they became later.

I'm reserving the "review" for both of these a couple of weeks. I thought that HoD would end the first season on the King's Death and start the new Lear'ing version of the story in the next season, but there was a 9th episode that is likely going to be a serious problem and is hinting a change, that will likely not be able to be sustained, is my thought!

If I have a choice/comment, it would be that these folks working these characters stopped watching the previous shows and do their own thing. I'm not a great fan of carbon copies. 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2022 at 14:52
Finished Paper Girls tonight. This one flew under the radar somewhat and it wasn't publicised much by Amazon (taking a back seat to the LOTR show). Which is a shame as it's really quite good. 4 young girls from 1988 find themselves transported to 2019 in the midst of a future battle. It is sci-fi but also very character driven. It's fun to see the girls meet their future selves and relatives too. Of course comparisons have been made to Stranger Things, but this is better in my opinion (and it's based on a comic book that pre dates Stranger Things). 9/10
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2022 at 15:57
^ I enjoyed it. Unfortunately, Amazon cancelled it. Producers are looking for another streamer to take it, but that seems unlikely.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2022 at 05:28
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

^ I enjoyed it. Unfortunately, Amazon cancelled it. Producers are looking for another streamer to take it, but that seems unlikely.

Mad of Amazon to cancel this. There is a change.org petition to bring it back, so hopefully that will have an impact. Otherwise someone else may take it up - like the brilliant The Expanse which Amazon actually picked up after Syfy cancelled it.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2022 at 02:53
Talking about cancelled shows I still haven't got over Dark Matter being binned. That hurt!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2022 at 03:29
The Midnight Club 2022 10 episodes

the 4th in the so called 'Flaniverse' series (The Haunting Of Hill House, The Haunting Of Bly Manor and Midnight Mass being the others) . This is quite disappointing and for me the weakest so far. It suffers very much from lack of focus with too many ideas and a distinct lack of chills. It's set in an end of life care hospice that exists solely for young people. At midnight they get together and tell spooky stories. None felt that original or scary to me. I also didn't feel that emotionally involved but then perhaps it's just not designed to speak to me. 5/10 (7/10 if you are under 30 maybe)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2022 at 04:54
^Oh, that's a shame as I was looking forward to The Midnight Club. The previous three mentioned were all excellent, particularly The Haunting Of Hill House.

Just started The House of the Dragon. Set 200 years before Game of Thrones. It's a good story, but the scale is nowhere near that of GoT. It's dark a lot of the time too and the odd daytime shot is a relief.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2022 at 09:26
House Of The Dragon is okay , just finished it so would rate it 7/10 mainly for the visuals and the lovely dragons. I enjoyed Matt Smith's character so much that I got a bit bored when he was not involved in the story. Most of the characters are quite dull, especially Olivia Cooke's who was so much better in Bates Motel. I also found the sudden jump ahead about 10 years or so in the middle of the series a challenge. Eventually I lost the plot and who the characters were supposed to be and why they were fighting each other lol.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 51>