Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TV shows you most recently finished watching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 51>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2022 at 13:26
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

House Of The Dragon is okay , just finished it so would rate it 7/10 mainly for the visuals and the lovely dragons. I enjoyed Matt Smith's character so much that I got a bit bored when he was not involved in the story. Most of the characters are quite dull, especially Olivia Cooke's who was so much better in Bates Motel. I also found the sudden jump ahead about 10 years or so in the middle of the series a challenge. Eventually I lost the plot and who the characters were supposed to be and why they were fighting each other lol.

I'm 6 episodes in and I know what you mean about that 10 year jump. Suddenly lots of kids with blonde hair running about; who is who though lol? Matt Smith too is tremendous and plays that part so well. Paddy Considine is good as well, but some of the others are somewhat lacking and a few even miscast. I still don't like the constant darkness, why does it have to be like this - very off-putting. I'd agree with your 7/10
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2022 at 12:16
I've been watching Waterloo Road, which is all about a Rochdale comprehensive school that's so rough, they have fights breaking out in the playground. You might think there's nothing unusual in that, but these are fights between the teachers! Geek

And if you think that's bad, one of the 15-year-old schoolgirls has just had a baby in class and the entire staff at the school wrongly suspect that the headmaster is the father! Shocked

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 27 2022 at 13:52
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2022 at 03:07
Currently watching Friend Of The Family. Stars Colin Hanks and Anna Paquin and focuses on some unpleasant goings on in the Mormon community back in the 70's. Quite disturbing stuff 'Based on True Events' although away from the plot it most be the most beige looking TV show I've ever watched!
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2022 at 06:50
Monarch (season 1 was only 4 episodes)

It helps that I have always loved country, especially bluegrass and especially the new wave of young Americana artists taking it back to basics, Have a listen to Charles Wesley Godwin and Joshua Ray Walker for example.  

Never liked the 70s and onwards country crossovers into pop and R n B.
Garth Brooks and the like were the worst type of country I've ever heard.  

Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2022 at 06:15
Finished House of the Dragon the other night (I mistakenly thought there was another to come). Ten episodes in all and not too bad without reaching the heights of GoT. Scenes with Paddy Considine and Matt Smith were the best parts and other than that it was quite flat. Not much action either and a lot of discussion. As I said before it was too dark - at times it was impossible to actually see anything. There were few outdoor scenes either and nowhere near as good as GoT (it seems it was done on the cheap to me) 7/10 with more to come I imagine. Beware numerous, graphic birthing scenes too.

Now watching Wreck on the BBC (in Ultra HD on iPlayer). A comedy horror set aboard a massive cruise liner, follows a young man's search for his sister who went missing from the ship on a previous voyage. Funny and jumpy, a decent watch. 8/10 so far (2 eps in, of 6).
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2022 at 04:49
I've started watching Wreck as well and enjoying first couple of episodes. Quite brutal but the violence makes you laugh. Could say similar things about Steven Knight's SAS Rogue heroes. Based on true events that happened in WWII. the allies attempt to defend the port city of Tobruk is going badly. A rogue regiment of soldiers, mostly misfits who don't recognise and respect their commanders, are sent to try and break the Nazi supply line and disable their air superiority by bombing their planes from the ground. It's totally insane but, as the intro painstakingly announces, 'mostly based on true events' and actually marked the first mission of the SAS regiment, still going today and famous the world over for many important special military missions. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2022 at 05:50
Finished Wreck now. Hmm, it was OK, but could have been reduced by an episode or 2. There is a conclusion, but it could carry on with future series too. I'm dropping my score to 7/10 as it started to drag a but and as a black comedy, it really wasn't funny enough.
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2022 at 16:49

Just finished watching "Yellowstone" season 4. I really love this show. It has consistently great writing and acting and just makes me so interested in seeing what's going to happen next.

I can't help but give it 10/10.
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2022 at 03:05
The Devil's Hour 6 episodes'

From Steven Moffat (Sherlock) comes this psychological drama that blurs lines between what is real and not real. Hardly original and it's so dark I couldn't watch more an episode at a time. Too heavy to binge. Jessica Raines is superb as a single Mum coping with an autistic child who speaks to people who are not there (or are they). She also wakes up in the night (3.33 to be precise) with strange visions of people she knows which seem to suggest alternative events may be happening. Are they warnings? The key appears to be a psychopathic character played by Peter Capaldi.
 I found it very frustrating at times and almost unwatchable. Even and after the big reveal in the final episode I kind of switched off. All too 'hokey' even for me! 6/10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2022 at 12:57
Series 5 of The Handmaid's Tale. I normally get through 2 or 3 episodes a night when watching a TV show. With this we are managing only one a night, so only 2 watched so far. It's hard work as it's so slow - in fact my wife fell asleep each time we've watched it. And shoving a camera in Elizabeth Moss's face is so stale now. It's a drag for sure. And there is to be a 6th and final season - ewww.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2022 at 01:21
Wreck 2022 6 episodes

Highly enjoyable horror comedy set on board a Cruise ship. Lower deck 'menial' workers seem to be going missing, victims of a psychopath it appears. Well thought out and particularly brutal at times and strong possibility of a season 2 hopefully. 9/10

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2022 at 01:23
One to avoid!

Mammals 2022 . James Corden penned so called comedy featuring him playing a chef and married to a hot French lady. He discovers she is having affairs with more than one man , seriously who can blame her and heaven knows why Amazon commission dross like this. Currently has a 3.9 IMDB rating. OMG!

Edited by richardh - November 14 2022 at 01:26
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2022 at 00:52
A couple of Marvel shows

Loki 2021 6 episodes

Spin off from Thor with a story involving alternate Loki's causing havoc in parallel dimensions. Something called the Time Variant Authority is rounding them up to prevent some kind of cosmic crisis. The plot is silly (like most Marvel stuff?!) but I enjoyed it for the nice bit of escapism it provided. 7/10

She - Hulk: Attorney At Law 2022

Great idea to have a female hulk but badly let down by very lazy poor writing. It goes out of the way to not take its itself too seriously but then fails to provide any kind of coherent plot or story line. Also such a terrible waste of great actors Mark Ruffalo, Benedict Wong and Tim Roth while even the return of the Daredevil character fails to save it. 3/10

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2022 at 04:59
Yay, my wife didn't fall asleep watching The Handmaid's Tale last night. In fact we have slogged our way to episode 7 - yippee. Seriously though it has started to improve quite considerably in the last 2/3 episodes. It's still dragged out way too much though.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2022 at 03:05
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

One to avoid!

Mammals 2022 . James Corden penned so called comedy featuring him playing a chef and married to a hot French lady. He discovers she is having affairs with more than one man , seriously who can blame her and heaven knows why Amazon commission dross like this. Currently has a 3.9 IMDB rating. OMG!

and Amazon have now announced they are bring back Aussie soap Neighbours. OMG who is making these decisions?! Ouch
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2022 at 03:11
SAS Rogue Heroes 2022 6 episodes

I mentioned before about this, written by Peaky Blinders creator Steven Knight, this is basically about the birth of the world famous SAS Regiment. In 1941 the war is going badly for the allies and it looks as if North Africa will fall. A bunch of ill disciplined soldiers are recruited for a special operation behind enemy lines. Their task is to destroy as many German planes as they can before they get off the ground. Previously most allied attacks were from the sea and they were proving fruitless. 
Well made and featuring Alfie Allen and Jack O'Connell, this is a highly recommended 'Boys own' adventure stuff that hits all the right notes. 9/10
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2022 at 18:16
Succession   season 3

If you want to see a modern real-time drama about a sociopathic family of grifters and the Trump's are getting boring, the third season of Succession will be perfect for all your schadenfreudian needs.   Brian Cox is brutal, Kieran Culkin is spellbinding, Sara Snook & Jeremy Strong are brilliant.   Still one of the best shows on cable.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2022 at 06:11
^ Easily my favourite TV show of the last few years. Culkin's character actually appeared to me in one of my dreams. That's never happened to me before (re TV characters) but what it means I really don't know!

Currently watching a sh*t ton of TV now that I've taken out subscriptions to Paramount+ and Disney+

Very interested in watching Yellowstone, just started Chapelwaite (based on a Stephen King short story starring Adrien Brody) and also Let The Right One In (based on the film with Chloe Grace Moretz) . Love the first episode of Start Trek: Strange New Worlds, visually stunning and good story. Also picking up again fave sci-fi/horror shows The Walking Dead, American Horror Story (Season 7 ''Cult'') The War Of The Worlds (Canal + version) and the most underrated TV sci-fi drama The Orville. Smile

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2022 at 08:39
After mistakenly thinking The Walking Dead had nearly finished we've just kicked off the last ever 8 episodes of series 11 (24 episodes in total). It's definitely picked up in the story telling and the budget appears much higher with some grim, gory death scenes. I had a scoot at how the comics ended and the TV show and comics really weren't aligned that closely. My son and his girlfriend have just started watching from the very beginning - that'll be a drag, especially when Negan turns up. 177 Episodes in total in 11 series. 
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2022 at 15:39
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Succession   season 3

If you want to see a modern real-time drama about a sociopathic family of grifters and the Trump's are getting boring, the third season of Succession will be perfect for all your schadenfreudian needs.   Brian Cox is brutal, Kieran Culkin is spellbinding, Sara Snook & Jeremy Strong are brilliant.   Still one of the best shows on cable.

Agreed. 

Lifestyles of the rich and deplorable. Equal parts humorous and perverse. Which part is which depends on the individual viewer, I guess.

I've found it as compelling as "Yellowstone" (without the country music), and like "Yellowstone" I'd rate it 10/10.

Edited by Hugh Manatee - November 24 2022 at 15:40
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 51>