Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TV shows you most recently finished watching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4647484950 51>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonshake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2024 at 12:27
Godless. Netflix Western drama. 7 episodes. Really good.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 18:23
Binged the entire first season of The Killing (13 episodes) in 2 days. Might be the most addictive crime drama I've ever watched. This is set in Seattle and is based on a Danish TV series of the same name when 'Scandi Noir' was all the rage. This has tons of depth in the writing and doesn't just focus on solving the crime but takes a good look at how the loss of a loved one impacts a family and the grieving process they inevitably go through. Decisions are then made as a result that can't be taken back. I particularly like Joel Kinnerman's rough round the edges cop along with the always excellent Billy Campbell as a politician who is running for office but then becomes implicated in the murder that is under investigation. Onward to seasons 2-4.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 19:50
Caught the first few of Special Ops:Lioness based on the female U.S. soldiers placed with regular troops in Iraq who ended up in combat & intelligence roles.   Nothing wrong with this well-made and suspenseful action drama but in recreating the cold brutality of the Iraq war and dehumanizing of the characters, it left me wanting less.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 19:53
Percy Jackson and the Olympians

As a HUGE fan of the books, this show was a bit disappointing, but still really good. 7.5/10
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2024 at 14:03
She-Hulk: Attorney at Law I've had this to watch for ages now but with not much else to watch I fancied, I eventually gave this a shot, with not much hope of it being any good tbh. You know what though it's actually OK. These things are always better when the main focus is humour (see Deadpool, Peacemaker, Loki) and this has lots of funny moments. Each ep is its own story too and relatively short at 30 minutes or so. The reviews are poor but it's miles better than some other recent super hero stuff (see Aquaman) 8/10
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2024 at 00:30
^ Aparently it was intended to be partly a serious legal drama, but the writers couldn't work out how to do that so it became about female empowerment instead. Personally I rated it about 4/10, massive missed opportunity. The lead is good and the special effects very good but typically Disney shallow rubbish writing as well as 'throwing away' some great actors such as Mark Ruffalo and Tim Roth was disappointing to me. Glad you liked it though Wink
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2024 at 00:23
Watched the currently available episodes of True Detective starring Jode Foster. This doesn't seem like anything before in the series relating more to the 2015 Sky series Fortitude than a detective drama (the connection is further reinforced by the fact that Fortitude starred Christpoher Ecclestone and he pops up in this as well!). There is even a homage or 2 to John Carpenters The Thing and Japananse horror like The Grudge.  Weird and all over the place, no idea where it's going but it's HBO so it's a must watch!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2024 at 17:44
The Killing Season 2. Finishes off the story that started in Season 1. Great stuff. I love all the layers and twists.

Just through the first 5 episodes of Halo Season 1. Defintitely a case of 'don't listen to the naysayers', this is top notch sc-fi. Looks great and I'm well invested in the story and the characters. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2024 at 08:39
Ms. Marvel. We only managed 1.5 episodes before sacking it off. I'd have carried on but my wife was adamant. Wasn't great tbh. Probably won't watch The Marvels now either.

^ I'm looking forward to the new True Detective and se02 of Halo, but as always I'll wait until complete before watching.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2024 at 09:17
Tommy. I don't watch too much TV. Just before Tommy I've seen a documentary about the life of Janis Joplin
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Moonshake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonshake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2024 at 13:55
Fool Me Once.
British series on Netflix. Murders, cops, bribery, cover-ups, etc.
Really good. Good story, great actors, very well done and all that.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2024 at 22:30
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

Ms. Marvel. We only managed 1.5 episodes before sacking it off. I'd have carried on but my wife was adamant. Wasn't great tbh. Probably won't watch The Marvels now either.

^ I'm looking forward to the new True Detective and se02 of Halo, but as always I'll wait until complete before watching.

apparently you won't have to wait too long for True Detective as it's season finale is on Sunday. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2024 at 07:40
^ Good news - I've purposefully not read much about it. 

I was getting zombie withdrawal symptoms so started on The Walking Dead: Daryl Dixon last night. It has a really different feel to other TWD series and a European setting adds to that; though it's not been shared yet how on earth he ended up washed ashore in France. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2024 at 14:04
We finished The Walking Dead: Daryl Dixon tonight (only 6 episodes). You know what, I'd pretty much given up expecting anything decent from The Walking Dead anymore (TWD, FTWD etc.). But this series actually had a lot going for it. It's the first time since maybe the first 2 or 3 series of TWD that I actually felt some suspense and scares from the zombies. In this they seem different and the setting in France certainly adds another dimension. I think there is another series too, so hopefully this level can be maintained. Unfortunately, from what I've read, The Walking Dead: Dead City (Negan and Maggie) isn't as good, but we'll see.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2024 at 17:39
Just finished a trio of British crime dramas

Irvine Welsh's Crime Seasons 1&2
Set in Edinburgh and stars Dougray Scott as a detective who is hunting a notorious serial killer while dealing with all sorts of personal issues. It seems this was envisaged just to be 12 episodes which is a shame if the case. Dark, brutal and brilliant. 9.5/10

After The Flood Season 1
If you are prepared to ignore just how silly some of the scenes are (one with a baby especially) then this is very entertaining stuff. Stars Philip Glenister (Life On Mars) and Sophie Rundle (Peaky Blinders) 8/10

Trigger Point Season 2
Bomb disposal drama from the producers of Line Of Duty. I liked this better than Season 1 although it's still stretching credability to breaking point at times and the last of the 6 episodes seemed very far fetched. That said still very enjoyable. Stars Vicki McClure (Line Of Duty) 7/10

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2024 at 10:10
Finished 2 good ones.................
'Night Country' (part of the TRue Detective series)....modern weird murder mystery set in Alaska with Jodi Foster as detective
'Monsieur Spade'.....period piece set in 1950s southern France with Clive Owen as Sam Spade

Edited by dr wu23 - February 19 2024 at 10:11
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2024 at 17:25
Also finished True Detective - Night Country . I'd probably rate it around 7/10. Don't want to issue any spoilers but suffice to say that the ending was a lot less interesting than earlier episodes seemed to promise. High production values (and Jodie Foster) stopped it being a potential flop imo.
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 08:07
Rescue Me.
Watched all 7 seasons in two weeks. Fantastic. 
Across the evening sky,
all the birds are leaving,
But how can they know,
it's time for them to go?
Before the winter fire,
I will still be dreaming,
I have no thought of time.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 17:14
Criminal Record Season 1 ( 8 episodes)

Another police procedural drama. Is Peter Capaldi's character a bent copper who fitted a black man up for a crime he didn't commit years ago? All well played and atmospheric until the final episode where it comes off the rails for me. It's almost as if they were short of a decent ending and then just had to contrive one somehow. Would have been 8/10 but the last episode takes it down to 7/10.

Also watched the first 3 available episodes of Constellations, an intriguing new sci-fi series from Apple TV+ starring Noomi Rapace. Very strong psychological sci-fi influenced by the more cerebral films of the genre such as 2001 a Space Odyssey, Event Horizon and even that very underrated Gerry Anderson 1969 film Doppleganger. Liking it a lot.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2024 at 07:11
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Also finished True Detective - Night Country . I'd probably rate it around 7/10. Don't want to issue any spoilers but suffice to say that the ending was a lot less interesting than earlier episodes seemed to promise. High production values (and Jodie Foster) stopped it being a potential flop imo.

We finished it last night. On the whole very enjoyable. The 2 leads were both excellent and without Jodie Foster it wouldn't have been as good. I did like the ending. It was great to look at too and the feeling of claustrophobia was maintained well. The second best of the 4 seasons so far for me, but the first one will take some beating. 8.5/10
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4647484950 51>