Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive poll team

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 52>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 04:18
Originally posted by Mila-13 Mila-13 wrote:

Thanks a lot for your feedback, Greg! I was a bit worried about suggesting Asia since westerners usually have little connection with that part of the world when it comes to music and also as a theme it sounds a bit uninspired considering that you had in the past editons focusing on Africa and Latin America. However Asia is the largest continent and offers an enormous variaty of different cultures. I could even imagine another duo poll where I would encourage the participants to submit songs from two different regions of Asia. To have an insider like you on board would definitely be a gain for everybody! Smile

@ Geo
Thank you very much for your encouraging and positivresponse! Smile

Asia is a great topic, and sure to get all sorts of different sounds. After all, Asia is massive, and so encompasses many different musical traditions. You have some really interesting sounds from the borders of Asia and Europe, where both western and eastern traditions meet and merge, several distinct sounds from the Indian subcontinent (most notably Hindustani and Carnatic), sounds from the Middle East, South East Asia and Indonesia. And various different sounds from China and bordering regions. All very different. And that’s not even coming close to mentioning them all. You could easily have several Interactive Polls on Asia, and never see a track repeated.

I’m looking forward to this one!

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 07:35
I need to apologize to everyone for being a disappointment, but this is really not a good time for me. I haven't had a decent night's sleep in over a week, and am feeling far from my best. I had a nice topic lined up for my turn, but I'm afraid it will have to wait. I am also finding it increasingly hard to write about music - hence my lack of comments in the previous polls. Fortunately, I have seen that a lot of people are willing to contribute, so it shouldn't be too big of a problem to find a replacement.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 07:38
I'm sorry you are feeling out of sorts, Raff.  You can save the topic for when you feel up to rejoining the polls.  I do hope you feel better soon.  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 07:42
Dang, sorry to hear that Raff. I was looking forward to your topic, but no reason why you shouldn't be able to postpone it. I have chronic insomnia and know too well how a lack of sleep affects one (it increases my anxiety, for one).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 07:56
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I need to apologize to everyone for being a disappointment, but this is really not a good time for me. I haven't had a decent night's sleep in over a week, and am feeling far from my best. I had a nice topic lined up for my turn, but I'm afraid it will have to wait. I am also finding it increasingly hard to write about music - hence my lack of comments in the previous polls. Fortunately, I have seen that a lot of people are willing to contribute, so it shouldn't be too big of a problem to find a replacement.

Yep, I'm also happy that this Interactive awesomeness is thriving, thanks to the new participants. I've absented myself from these polls for a long time, too. It is just "me"... Unpredictable, even to myself sometimes. It is also some sort of a principle of myself to do "nothing", if I don't feel like doing something... unless it is something of major importance.

Health/feeling good & happiness... The things that matter most, for us. I wish you'll regain them soon, Raffaella. 
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 14:14
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I hug you, Raffaella.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 14:16
So, who tells Nick to open the new poll?
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 14:34
I can and will PM Nick in case he misses this discussion.

Edited by Logan - June 21 2021 at 14:34
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 19:06
I was hesitant to enter the last poll, not because of the subject or anything like that, but because I am not able to devote the time that I need to for it and still be on 3 genre teams, write up Bios, do the New Release reports and still have time to listen to my own music for leisure.  I am going to have to retire from the interactive threads for now, as much as I enjoy them.  I just feel I'm not giving it the time I need to be fair in voting or listening to everyone's entries.  If things change, I'll join in, but I find that I always end up falling behind and even missing out on some votes because of other things that come up.  

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 19:12
^ All work and no play makes the Cat a dull kitty. Understandable, don't burn yourself out, Mike. We are but volunteers here, and you do a huge amount for the site.

Here's In Praise of Laziness: http://monumenttotransformation.org/atlas-of-transformation/html/l/laziness/in-praise-of-laziness-mladen-stilinovic.html

Edited by Logan - June 21 2021 at 19:16
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 19:59
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

I was hesitant to enter the last poll, not because of the subject or anything like that, but because I am not able to devote the time that I need to for it and still be on 3 genre teams, write up Bios, do the New Release reports and still have time to listen to my own music for leisure.  I am going to have to retire from the interactive threads for now, as much as I enjoy them.  I just feel I'm not giving it the time I need to be fair in voting or listening to everyone's entries.  If things change, I'll join in, but I find that I always end up falling behind and even missing out on some votes because of other things that come up.  
Mike, I agree that one must know what one's limits are. These are meant to be fun, not a chore. You've introduced me to tons of music that escaped my notice, so I do hope you will feel inspired to participate when you feel like you can. Your extra work providing us with the playlists has also been a wonderful contribution. Enjoy your break from this, and hopefully when the time is right, you will comeback refreshed.   
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 00:32
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

PM received. I will endeavour to have it up later today. I am having my first covid jab today, so I will try and get it done before then, as from what I understand once I’ve had the jab I might not feel like doing anything….

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 00:37
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

I don’t know how you do it all, Mike - and absolutely you MUST still have time to listen to your own music for leisure. I know I struggle a little just to find time to listen to the prog metal suggestions that come to our team for evaluation, between my reviewing for TPA (which I am well behind on), and the general hurly burly lifestyle of having four children. As soon as I realise that I am having time for MY music, is when I know something has to be dropped - even if only temporarily. I know I haven’t been as involved with the last couple of Interactive Polls simply because I haven’t had the time for them, because I need time for ME.

Best wishes to both you and Raff. Look after yourselves.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 11:05
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

PM received. I will endeavour to have it up later today. I am having my first covid jab today, so I will try and get it done before then, as from what I understand once I’ve had the jab I might not feel like doing anything….

Other than some minor soreness in my upper arm, I had no ill effects from my first dose, nor did any of my family members.   I had the Pfizer. I'm scheduled for my second dose tomorrow, and with that it is more common to feel ill. Unfortunately we recently had a delay in Pfizer shipments, and we may get the Moderna. I'd rather get the Pfizer again and wait a bit (been some issues with Moderna and in this case getting the same brand is often thought better), but they won't tell you in advance and I have to travel a bit for the shot, and then if I say at the time I don't want it, that can make things hard to reschedule. 3 weeks between doses is what is recommended for the Pfizer, but we have to wait a couple of months or more here commonly (had my first dose on May 1st and this was the soonest I could book one). It's still better here than in a lot of places, to be sure, so I'm not complaining. The more virulent Delta variant is quite prevalent here, so will still have to remain cautious.

I wanted to do a topic on this before. Viruses/ pandemics/ plagues/ contagions/ contaminants and related things might make for an interesting if morbid Interactive Poll theme. Might call it Tainted love. I won't do that.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 12:05

Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I wanted to do a topic on this before. Viruses/ pandemics/ plagues/ contagions/ contaminants and related things might make for an interesting if morbid Interactive Poll theme. Might call it Tainted love. I won't do that.

Like Greg, I had no ill effects, except I didn't even get a sore arm!  So perhaps you will also luck out also, Nick.

Also, Greg, lol on Tainted Love  LOL

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 14:05
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2021 at 08:11
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

New calendar:

- logan (8th of June)

Then, after 14 days, 

- raff 

- nick (new entry!)

- shadowyzard

- lewian

- meltdowner

- the Anders

- snicolette

- cristi 

- tcat

- mathman 

- jamesbaldwin

- logan and so on...

If JD and Mila want to join the team and open a poll, I suggest to do it after nick.

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

So...sometime in September?? LOL

Generally, I put in the new team members after Logan. 

In this case, Raff, who is back, already has in mind to open a poll next Tuesday, and nick had already proposed himself as a new member, so you and Mila-13, as new members, should go after nick.

Thought about raising this before Tuesday (as it has been set for one poll every two weeks on a Tuesday), but not sure if anyone in particular is planning to do one now. JD, Mila? Seems shadowyzard might have lost interest in these..

Edited by Logan - July 07 2021 at 08:13
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2021 at 08:31
As previously suggested...

ALIENS
Theme subject could be expressed in one of the following manners.
-Brothers from Another Planet
-The Truth Is Out There
-We Are Not Alone

What do you need me to do? Set up the whole poll?
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2021 at 09:15

Seems shadowyzard might have lost interest in these..

I said before that I'd do my work when it comes to my turn to be the poll creator. Yet I can be removed from here if it seems better. Let me create a poll to vote for this: "Shadowyzard - In or Out". LOL
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2021 at 09:29
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

As previously suggested...

ALIENS
Theme subject could be expressed in one of the following manners.
-Brothers from Another Planet
-The Truth Is Out There
-We Are Not Alone

What do you need me to do? Set up the whole poll?

If you want to do it, otherwise you might want to wait until you become more acquainted with the process.  I can help if needed. We each set up the topics and do the polls when we take them on (not sure how many you've engaged with).  You open a poll, write up the OP mentioning theme and rules usually, try to type something in all the 25 poll spaces (we commonly do an acrostic with a message spelled out from bottom to top), if you don't then those poll options cannot bed edited later with the nominations.  

Usually the rules are that after nominations people must vote for three options not their own.  I let the nominations round last about one week, and then I put up the nominations and people have another week to vote before the next poll goes up.  I would set up a date for final nominations to begin with so people know.  Most people know how this works who participate, so a lot of details aren't necessary.  And you can always edit your original post and adapt at first.

I prepared this list before of polls to help people acquaint themselves with the topics, reading the original posts should familiarise one with the approach. If you want to adapt my rules (mine are unnecessarily wind-baggish and convoluted), while also mentioning your theme, feel free.  There is something of learning curve, and it does take some effort.

Most important to start, topic headline: Interactive Poll: Aliens
Add a letter at least to all or most of the poll option spaces
Explain your theme in the OP, basic rules, and deadline for nomination.

After you know all of the nominations, edit the poll by adding the choices, then it's open to voting.  Hope this helps.

By mathman0806, May 09 2021 at 17:51

Message Icon Interactive Poll #0 April Fool!
By Snicolette, April 01 2021 at 11:48

Interactive Poll # -45 (or something)
By TCat, November 25 2020 at 19:08

Interactive Polls #18: Free-For-All
By TCat, August 24 2020 at 10:09

Message Icon Interactive Poll #16 - Under Cover
By Raff, August 15 2020 at 09:16

Message Icon Interactive Poll XLVI
By micky, July 14 2020 at 15:25

By jamesbaldwin, May 16 2020 at 13:39.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 52>