Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive poll team

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 52>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interactive poll team
    Posted: June 24 2020 at 18:49
Well, I realized just now that Tapfret has opened an Interactive Poll for prog songs. This creates an overlap of polls and it is not easy to have time to participate in both interactive prog polls and interactive non-prog polls.

And I see that according to some forumists, the pace at which the interactive polls (of non-prog songs) start is too fast. 

I make you this proposals about Interactive polls of non-prog songs: 

1) To start an interactive poll every two weeks, so everyone has time to listen to the songs calmly and to vote. We could always start them on Mondays, from now on. 

2) I ask you who is interested in being part of the team that opens the Interactive polls. Here are the names of the forumists who have so far offered to start an interactive poll:
- TCat
- Micky
- Raff
- Lewian
- Mathman
- Cristi

Did I forget someone?

Are you available to join a team that opens an interactive poll every two weeks? I say every two weeks as long as there is someone who offers to open it, it shouldn't be an obligation for anyone. 

3) Is there any other forumist who is interested in joining the team?

Edited by jamesbaldwin - June 24 2020 at 19:06
"Happiness is real only when shared"
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2020 at 19:20
Thumbs DownLOL

very tempted to stay silent on this because I called this one.. but you deserve my opinion for what you started. and I'll give it I suppose. like it or not.

hate to say it .. but I did say it...  if this gets too complicated.. and the fun factor disappears quicker than a fart in a hurricane man. Do what you think best.. but I find the non prog more polls more interesting.. better paricipation.. actual discussions..and are simply more fun and we sort of became a crew. Started to get to know each through our selections. 

My two cents.. stick to what you started.. if others want to do prog polls .. let them. That IMO is not going to last too long.. for what I said before.. people just tossing off songs with little to no interation. Give it a couple of weeks before interest dries up.

I have little particular interest in them myself.. I spent years upon years listening discovering and evaluating prog..  the stuff tossed off in your polls has been more interesting musically. Prog may be prog but interesting if is very often not...and the guys (and ladies) have done a great job with selections.Some surprisingly good stuff that I probably would have never discovered before...and think that should be your primary concern.. and should continue week to week.

Edited by micky - June 24 2020 at 19:24
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2020 at 20:12
Maybe you're right, Micky.

We can leave things as they are, and continue spontaneously to open new Interactive polls every week. I really like what we have done so far, so the important thing is that it continues. 

If the others think it's okay to go on like this, it's ok for me.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - June 24 2020 at 20:13
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2020 at 20:44
I'm in agreement about keeping it as it. The prog version should be its own entity and could evolve to have its own "core" of diehards, or it could fizzle. Hard to say after one but I wasn't really into it. 

I like having this one at once every week. Maybe it's the same group each week, maybe some new people come in and others drop. I do like this core group. 

It shouldn't ever feel like an obligation to anyone. People should feel free to only do one poll a week if they want, and can go between prog and nonprog if they only have time for one, or just stick here, or even skip and come back if that's what life gives you. If you have time and interest for both, do both. I'm in this one because it's been fun. If it's no longer fun, I'll bail.  

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2020 at 20:47
Beer
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2020 at 22:39
I just don't want those who want to join in feeling like they can't because they have obligations in life.  I am learning so much from all of you, which I so appreciate.  I like the lesser-known artists in prog getting attention.  I like the other genres getting attention from ears that are open through the artery of progressive music.  I really love the conversations, the critiques, the different viewpoints.  That's where I stand, as long as it stays interesting and no one is put out by not "winning."  We are all winners for hearing such a wide variety of music, from people who love it.

Edited by Snicolette - June 24 2020 at 22:39
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 00:59
There's no problem having those polls together, some prefer the prog polls and some prefer the non, I personally enjoyed them both and I would glad to see you guys participating there and share your tastes. 
That prog poll was maybe the only place to talk about some of the more obscure stuff out there instead of having the same old "who do you prefer Genesis or KC?" poll, which might interest some but not quite to oldtimers around here.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 02:22
I'm enjoying both prog and non-prog polls (with the non-prog ones somewhat more fun) but as I've written before, I wouldn't complain about a slower pace. However micky really has a point there... things can become over-organised and that may take the fun out of things. If people want to do these polls at the pace of two a week, so be it, and I may give the odd one a miss. I mean, if I were the boss of everything, we'd have one a week, maybe mostly non-prog with the odd prog one thrown in once in a while, but then I'm not, and I have no ambitions to become the boss. I also think we don't need an official team for opening polls. I'd surely be up to do another one, but as far as I'm concerned, anyone who wants can do one and doesn't need to be member of an official team. Anyway, none of these opinions is particularly strong , so if things go in a different direction, I'll just accept it and won't complain.

Edited by Lewian - June 25 2020 at 04:14
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 03:40
I agree with everyone who'd like to keep things as they are. Let's not turn this wonderful idea into a chore. The site is already very structured as it is, with genre teams, different levels of collaborators, and so on and so forth. Personally, I'll try to contribute to both the prog and non-prog polls, though at the moment I'm much more interested in the non-prog side of things. To be perfectly honest, most of the music in the first prog poll bored me - not because it was bad or even inherently boring, but mostly because at this time of my life I need to listen to something different.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 04:39
Ok let's keep things as they are!

Thank you all.

Micky Beer

Btw
My fave beer is Pietra, produced on the island of Corsica, France.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - June 25 2020 at 04:43
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 08:40
Clap One a week is perfect!

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 08:50
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Thumbs Up
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 09:41
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Thumbs Up

Not quite sure whether you mean one a week overall or one non-prog plus one prog every week. I meant the former...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 10:52
I had also wanted to do one. Originally it was to be an instrumental, but as that was then done, I want to do one that focuses on soundtrack/ library music.

I like the idea of one a week.

This has been an amazingly successful series. For ages I have wanted threads where we would listen to and comment on each other's musical choices which would facilitate discovery, broadening our horizons, and getting to understand each other's tastes better, but I felt that I never found a method that really worked satisfactorily. Kudos on this series.

I haven't put the effort into commenting on other people's choices rather than just listing my picks as I wish I had in the one that I've participated in. I always like topics that have conversational/ dialectic qualities, and polls where people do more than just mention their picks but say something about them. I'm not adept at reviewing or saying much about music. I was better when on the Eclectic team as I tried to share my thoughts on the suggestions. It's a challenge.

By the way, I do like having a set rule that we don't vote for our own choices. I'd rather vote for just two than cast a vote for my own choice, but that can be left up to the discretion of each topic starter I suppose.

Edited by Logan - June 25 2020 at 10:57
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 20:14
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I had also wanted to do one. Originally it was to be an instrumental, but as that was then done, I want to do one that focuses on soundtrack/ library music.

I like the idea of one a week.

This has been an amazingly successful series. For ages I have wanted threads where we would listen to and comment on each other's musical choices which would facilitate discovery, broadening our horizons, and getting to understand each other's tastes better, but I felt that I never found a method that really worked satisfactorily. Kudos on this series.

I haven't put the effort into commenting on other people's choices rather than just listing my picks as I wish I had in the one that I've participated in. I always like topics that have conversational/ dialectic qualities, and polls where people do more than just mention their picks but say something about them. I'm not adept at reviewing or saying much about music. I was better when on the Eclectic team as I tried to share my thoughts on the suggestions. It's a challenge.

By the way, I do like having a set rule that we don't vote for our own choices. I'd rather vote for just two than cast a vote for my own choice, but that can be left up to the discretion of each topic starter I suppose.

Greg you are welcome as new organizer of Interactive poll!

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 20:42
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

This has been one of the best things about it, and I think why we are drawn to it over other kinds of polls (where the emphasis is on "winning," rather than sharing).  Sorry I don't know your real life name, JamesBaldwin, but your writing is very eloquent, I so enjoyed what you wrote about the Einaudi piece.  You obviously understood the technical aspect behind the piece, yet also described so well the feeling of it.  And this is where the real heart of music lies (at least for me and perhaps because I am too dense to completely "get" theory).  There has been nothing in these polls that I've felt to dismiss out of hand.  Right now in the Latin American one, I have 9 to re-evaluate from my initial impressions, as what I've called "contenders." So thank you and echoing Logan's kudos to you.

Edited by Snicolette - June 25 2020 at 20:43
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 21:54
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Thumbs Up

Not quite sure whether you mean one a week overall or one non-prog plus one prog every week. I meant the former...

one poll/one week
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2020 at 02:25

Thumbs Up

one poll/one week

This would mean that non-prog and prog polls need to be coordinated. Which is fine by me, I just realise that this didn't happen for the first prog one and it looked like it wouldn't happen for the second one either (for which you volunteered if I saw this correctly). Just saying...

By the way, I have catchy songs lined up for both prog and non-prog. Approve
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2020 at 02:39

Thumbs Up

one poll/one week

This would mean that non-prog and prog polls need to be coordinated. Which is fine by me, I just realise that this didn't happen for the first prog one and it looked like it wouldn't happen for the second one either (for which you volunteered if I saw this correctly). Just saying...

By the way, I have catchy songs lined up for both prog and non-prog. Approve

catchy non-prog in two weeks, there are a couple of other polls before mine.
Catchy prog - only 2 users gave me the ok. So I don't know if people want it or not. 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2020 at 03:07

catchy non-prog in two weeks, there are a couple of other polls before mine.
Catchy prog - only 2 users gave me the ok. So I don't know if people want it or not. 

To be honest, I'd personally only take an OK from the Master Coordinator and not wait for some kind of informal voting by others. Chances are people don't know that what you do depends on them approving it, and they may be happy to just get something without the need to think before about whether they'd like that.

Anyway, it's probably a good idea to put a few weeks between the two, even though my prog choice will then have to wait.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 52>