Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive poll team

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 52>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 14:48
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

No theme, just spotlighting your favorite artists.  That's all I'm saying for now.

so it's long songs from my favorite artists? How long will the songs be? Confused
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 12:18
Just dropping by to wish everyone who is still taking part in the Interactive Polls a good holiday season, in spite of the rather depressing situation. I do check the forums every day, but very little of what I see is appealing to me. With the exception of these polls, the forums seem to have been taken over by rather odd people, and some of the things I've seen - especially in the COVID thread - are not inviting at all. In any case, I am glad that you're keeping up the good work! I hope one day in the near future to be back to contributing to these threads. In the meantime, all the very best to you and your loved ones from Micky and me Hug.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 12:41
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Just dropping by to wish everyone who is still taking part in the Interactive Polls a good holiday season, in spite of the rather depressing situation. I do check the forums every day, but very little of what I see is appealing to me. With the exception of these polls, the forums seem to have been taken over by rather odd people, and some of the things I've seen - especially in the COVID thread - are not inviting at all. In any case, I am glad that you're keeping up the good work! I hope one day in the near future to be back to contributing to these threads. In the meantime, all the very best to you and your loved ones from Micky and me Hug.

Very nice to read your message, Raff. I joined PA only very recently but very much appreciated your (yours and Micky's) contributions, and not only in the interactive poll threads. Hope you will be back contributing again, at least in these polls, because the musical suggestions of you both have made me discover some interesting artists. These are odd times indeed - let's hope it can only get better - but this cannot withhold us from wishing each-other the best. Hope you and Micky will have a fine holiday season too and I wish you a good year to come. There is some reason for optimism... Cheers ! Beer

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 12:50

And happy holidays to you and Micky as well, Raff!  I agree with suitkees that both of your contributions were wonderful here and elsewhere, but also understand sometimes a break is needed.  I also agree with suitkees that there is reason for optimism on many fronts.  May 2021 be a much better year and the beginning of a fresh future for us all.  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2020 at 14:24
Mathman, are you ready?
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2020 at 17:47
Hey Raff, thanks for this!
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2020 at 18:10

Thank you Raff.  Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and Micky.  You are always welcome here and hopefully we'll be seeing you soon in the interactive thread and also elsewhere.  Stay safe and healthy.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 06:11

Hug for you

Hugfor micky
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 06:24
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Mathman, are you ready?

I've been busy and hadn't been active much for the past week, but things are slowing down for me, so I'll have something up today.

mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 06:30

Thanks Raff. Wish you and Micky happy holidays and great New Year. 2021 has to be better, no? 
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 07:40
^ Thanks Raffaella. Hug

Happy holidays to you and Micky too. Also whoever has "holidays". I'm wishing that none of you will be visited by the Covid-19 a****le. Clown
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2020 at 13:24
Dear friends, mathman's poll will be the last of this 2020, and we have plenty of time to listen to the songs and talking about them.

On January 2nd I will open my poll, the first of 2021, and as I had announced, it will be a poll on protest songs. However, I thought that protest songs might be too narrow a topic, and so I decided to expand the poll, and I announce the rules now:

1) Think of two songs that added together do not exceed the total duration of 12 minutes

2) The two songs to choose can belong to the same artist (even to the same album) or to two different artists.

3) if you choose songs of the following genres:

- ethnic music
- world music
- folk music

iIt is not necessary that they are protest songs, they can deal with any theme.

(Ethnic, world or folk music songs are also allowed belonging to groups present in the prog folk, prog relared or proto-prog categories, as long as they belong to albums with less than 100 ratings. The songs published by Jethro Tull, David Bowie, the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, the Who, the Doors are proibited.)

4) If you choose a Protest song (or two protest songs), they can belong to any genre,  as long as ... they are protest songs i.e. they deal with a social or political or ecological theme, or concerning rights of the person.
I leave it up to you to decide when a song is a protest song. Consider that I don't mean protest songs in a limiting sense. Suzanne Vega Luka's pop song, which deals with violence against children, can be considered a protest song. 

If you choose a protest song, please write his lyrics.

5) Instrumental songs are not allowed.

6) In conclusion: 
-I can choose two protest songs, for example an heavy metal song and an electronic song. 

-I can choose an ethnic song (or a prog folk, or a world music song) that speak about love, and a protest song of any genre.

- I can choose no protest songs but two songs of ethnic, world, folk music that I like.

7) We vote for our favorite pair of songs.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - December 16 2020 at 13:26
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2020 at 13:36
Interesting twist on the polls, Lorenzo!  Smile
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2020 at 13:38
I'm not a fan of the terms ethnic music and world music (the latter brings together in one category music types from all over the world that have nothing in common), but apart from that I like the theme. I have plenty of protest songs to choose from. Almost too many as a matter of fact.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2020 at 14:48
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

I'm not a fan of the terms ethnic music and world music (the latter brings together in one category music types from all over the world that have nothing in common), but apart from that I like the theme. I have plenty of protest songs to choose from. Almost too many as a matter of fact.
Both terms usually mean non-Western, as such they are incorrect because everyone is some kind ethnicity and world should then include the entire world, not just non-western cultures.
Sorry to nitpick, but those two terms do bug me a bit.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2020 at 15:19
I specify that I have used these three terms 

(folk music, ethnic music, world music)

to mean the traditional music of each country, including Western music. 

We are all familiar with American folk and country-western, which we might consider American ethnic music, which is largely derived from English and Irish ethnic music. 

But If I were to talk about Vietnamese or Moroccan folk music, I wouldn't know at all what to say, I don't know tthem, and then by ethnic music I mean every traditional music from every country, and by world music I mean what Peter Gabriel did with the his record company: write music inspired by ethnic music (traditional, if you prefer) of the most varied countries, and use their musical instruments, and rework it as you see fit, perhaps with electronic instruments or making a hybrid between music / instruments taken from different ethnic music, such as Gabriel did by inserting Scottish bagpipes into African music, and as many artists do now.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2020 at 15:22
^ Fair enough, thanks for your reply.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 05:20
Howdy, people. Hug

My net connection is limitless now, though a bit slow (which will not pose a problem for Youtube stuff, assumedly). I wasn't aware that unlimited internet connection can be affordable in my whereabouts. We just found a local service provider to provide that.

So, I'll most likely rejoin the ride. I can even be a poll creater myself.

All the best,

Özgür

Edited by Shadowyzard - December 22 2020 at 05:21
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 07:51
Great to have you back! Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 08:40
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

Howdy, people. Hug

My net connection is limitless now, though a bit slow (which will not pose a problem for Youtube stuff, assumedly). I wasn't aware that unlimited internet connection can be affordable in my whereabouts. We just found a local service provider to provide that.

So, I'll most likely rejoin the ride. I can even be a poll creater myself.

All the best,

Özgür
  Excellent, welcome back and happy holidays to you!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 52>