Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive poll team

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 52>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2021 at 07:50
Haven't heard from dwill123, so will commence on creating the poll vote thread using his/her 1st offering, Roberta Flack's "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face."
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2021 at 08:44
Here is the link to the polling place:  http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=126601&PID=5903993#5903993
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 08:23
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I already posted in the main poll thread to wish Lorenzo a swift recovery. What a rotten thing to happen to such a nice guy (even if he's from Milan LOL... Just joking, Lorenzo, you're lovelySmile!).

Anyway, regarding the poll, I also endorse the idea of having two people share a line. I am so glad this initiative has taken off so well! It has really breathed new life in the forums. If nothing has changed, I will take charge of the poll after the one by Greg. I am quite sure you'll like the topic I have chosen Wink.

Happy to read these words.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 05:16
Just wanted to let everyone know that I am ready to take over the next poll. As the voting for Greg's poll is about to start, I'd say my own poll can start some time during the weekend, or later if you prefer. No hurry!
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 08:07
Sounds great, Raff!  Any time works for me.

Edited by Snicolette - June 15 2021 at 08:07
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 10:25
I started my poll a little earlier, so I put it up in the wee dark hours of the morning of Tuesday. I lost my poll edit due to an issue that had the options and an added write-up for the OP, and then thought I'll do it again some hours later and this time post it since I wanted to keep the later morning freer. Worked out well other than I'm not sure if one option should be there (I should have PMed for confirmation). George quickly got the playlist put together.

I'm fine with that. In fact, I have want to see these polls chugging along with greater frequency. I'd like to see more people have their turn faster, and I'm excited to see what new poll ideas/ themes people will bring and what their approach will be. It's rather like Christmas for me. What's going to be under that tree?

I had the idea before of having two Interactive Polls going on at the same time (not always, but as an option if coordinated between subsequent poll-starter parties): when one poll is done with a one week suggestion/nomination stage and is opened to voting, then on that day another goes up for nominations. Rinse and repeat as desired. That didn't seem to be liked, and I can see why. I think that would be too onerous for some, though, and maybe one could expect less comments from people in the topics. With longer runs when one is active it can give people more time to listen and comment on the selections. I'm not as good with the commenting as various others are because I find it both very time-consuming and difficult with unsatisfactory results.

I think some do prefer that each poll be spaced two weeks apart. Anyway, I don't mind you not waiting until next Tuesday if others don't. I wonder if weekends might be the better time to make these for most poll starters if we try to stick to schedules.   

I don't have an options with multiple Interactive topics being active at the same time. I do wish we had an Interactive Polls forum, but I wouldn't push for that. Be so nice to me to see more at PA giving it a go, although quite a few have, and I could hardly complain about the numbers when Lorenzo's poll went over 25 options, and George's was close. Mine saw things go back more to usual numbers duos are more onerous and I limited the choosing a nomination to a strict within a week period-- also to leave more time consider duos come voting time which means more listening -- although I guess one week for each of the two round elements is pretty common).

So, again, it's fine with me if you start earlier than the 14 days (Tuesday) Lorenzo scheduled, but we'll see what others say. I don't think it matters if people are still working through my poll to vote when yours goes up. I wouldn't really want two voting arounds going on at the same time, ideally, for the series, but if a nominations round overlaps with a voting round, I have no problem with that (if I were a more diligent commenter, then I might). Ultimately I do look to Lorenzo for guidance on such things. If it's good for him, then it's good for me.

Edited by Logan - June 15 2021 at 10:38
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 12:45
Greg, I have to admit to being rather absent-minded these days - meaning that I had forgotten about the 15-day rule, which is absolutely fine by me. At the moment, I am listening to the playlist (the one with the nominations), but I am sure I will need at least another listen or two to make my picks. Therefore, starting my poll next Tuesday is perfectly OK with me. As I said, I am not in a hurry.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 17:44
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I started my poll a little earlier, so I put it up in the wee dark hours of the morning of Tuesday. I lost my poll edit due to an issue that had the options and an added write-up for the OP, and then thought I'll do it again some hours later and this time post it since I wanted to keep the later morning freer. Worked out well other than I'm not sure if one option should be there (I should have PMed for confirmation). George quickly got the playlist put together.

I'm fine with that. In fact, I have want to see these polls chugging along with greater frequency. I'd like to see more people have their turn faster, and I'm excited to see what new poll ideas/ themes people will bring and what their approach will be. It's rather like Christmas for me. What's going to be under that tree?

I had the idea before of having two Interactive Polls going on at the same time (not always, but as an option if coordinated between subsequent poll-starter parties): when one poll is done with a one week suggestion/nomination stage and is opened to voting, then on that day another goes up for nominations. Rinse and repeat as desired. That didn't seem to be liked, and I can see why. I think that would be too onerous for some, though, and maybe one could expect less comments from people in the topics. With longer runs when one is active it can give people more time to listen and comment on the selections. I'm not as good with the commenting as various others are because I find it both very time-consuming and difficult with unsatisfactory results.

I think some do prefer that each poll be spaced two weeks apart. Anyway, I don't mind you not waiting until next Tuesday if others don't. I wonder if weekends might be the better time to make these for most poll starters if we try to stick to schedules.   

I don't have an options with multiple Interactive topics being active at the same time. I do wish we had an Interactive Polls forum, but I wouldn't push for that. Be so nice to me to see more at PA giving it a go, although quite a few have, and I could hardly complain about the numbers when Lorenzo's poll went over 25 options, and George's was close. Mine saw things go back more to usual numbers duos are more onerous and I limited the choosing a nomination to a strict within a week period-- also to leave more time consider duos come voting time which means more listening -- although I guess one week for each of the two round elements is pretty common).

So, again, it's fine with me if you start earlier than the 14 days (Tuesday) Lorenzo scheduled, but we'll see what others say. I don't think it matters if people are still working through my poll to vote when yours goes up. I wouldn't really want two voting arounds going on at the same time, ideally, for the series, but if a nominations round overlaps with a voting round, I have no problem with that (if I were a more diligent commenter, then I might). Ultimately I do look to Lorenzo for guidance on such things. If it's good for him, then it's good for me.

Thanks, Greg.
I agree with you.

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2021 at 08:26
Offering up a theme for future consideration...at your leisure.
Given all the news in recent months about the Mars mission and the release of UFO sightings (or UAP's as they are formally known) I thought an other worldly theme might be appropriate.

ALIENS
Theme subject could be expressed in one of the following manners.
-Brothers from Another Planet
-The Truth Is Out There
-We Are Not Alone

(No Star Trek or Star Wars references please) Wink
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2021 at 08:42
Oh, and I had another thought...Saturday morning buzz and all...I know it might take a little more administration and I'd be happy to help if I can, Could be start an Interactive Final Video thread where only at the end of the selection process do all the videos for that particular theme get posted for people to watch and then go to the voting thread?
I know...it seems like more work. I thought someone had put together a playlist which would be a one stop hear all, but maybe I missed it. I find I have to cut and paste the choices into Wetube to listen to them.
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2021 at 02:38

Hey guys! Greg invited me to stop by sometime and here I am. Smile

Since the people who are around atm are staying at home, meaning not going on holidays any time soon I'm suggesting a rather simple theme. Let's travel through music instead! The idea behind it is to encourage people to find songs of different cultures/genres and maybe with lyrics in languages other than English. A broader interpretation of the term "trip" is concievable in order to attract more people but personally, for starters I would stick to the initial idea and see how it goes. So what do you think about my proposal? Smile

The title of the poll would be: "The Trip of My Dreams"

Edited by Mila-13 - June 20 2021 at 03:16
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2021 at 04:22
Originally posted by Mila-13 Mila-13 wrote:

Hey guys! Greg invited me to stop by sometime and here I am. Smile

Since the people who are around atm are staying at home, meaning not going on holidays any time soon I'm suggesting a rather simple theme. Let's travel through music instead! The idea behind it is to encourage people to find songs of different cultures/genres and maybe with lyrics in languages other than English. A broader interpretation of the term "trip" is concievable in order to attract more people but personally, for starters I would stick to the initial idea and see how it goes. So what do you think about my proposal? Smile

The title of the poll would be: "The Trip of My Dreams"

we've done this already, you can check the links above and listen to songs posted there. A lot of interesting music i dare say. Tongue

Edited by Cristi - June 20 2021 at 04:23
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2021 at 11:00

Thanks. Cristi! I now had a closer look at the interactive polls list that Greg has recently posted in the current poll thread. I can't find the links that you've mentioned earlier, though. At first sight I noticed the Africa and Latin America edition. Now I see that there's in addition the "This Sounds Greek to Me" edition. It doesn't come as a surprise that those polls focusing on international music came from Europeans like me. Wink

But it doesn't surprise me either that westerners are less familiar with Eastern Europe and Asia. So themes such as "Behind the Iron Curtain" or "Progarch goes Asia" might be interesting options?

Edited by Mila-13 - June 20 2021 at 11:05
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2021 at 13:35
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

New calendar:

- logan (8th of June)

Then, after 14 days, 

- raff 

- nick (new entry!)

- shadowyzard

- lewian

- meltdowner

- the Anders

- snicolette

- cristi 

- tcat

- mathman 

- jamesbaldwin

- logan and so on...

If JD and Mila want to join the team and open a poll, I suggest to do it after nick.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - June 20 2021 at 13:38
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2021 at 13:42
So...sometime in September?? LOL
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2021 at 13:43
Sounds good to me. I like Mila's ideas. And I don't mind themes repeating/overlapping. It was still fun with a second covers themed poll, and I am up for another soundtrack if someone wants. Or another progressive with fewer than 50 ratings. A PA one could overlap with a non-PA one because it would draw interest from those who don't participate in the non-PA polls.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2021 at 13:50
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

So...sometime in September?? LOL

Generally, I put in the new team members after Logan. 

In this case, Raff, who is back, already has in mind to open a poll next Tuesday, and nick had already proposed himself as a new member, so you and Mila-13, as new members, should go after nick.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - June 20 2021 at 13:51
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2021 at 13:51

Thanks a lot, Lorenzo! Some feedback regarding my suggested poll themes would be helpful, though since I'm quite new here. Smile

Edited by Mila-13 - June 20 2021 at 13:58
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2021 at 16:19
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

Sounds good to me. I like Mila's ideas. And I don't mind themes repeating/overlapping. It was still fun with a second covers themed poll, and I am up for another soundtrack if someone wants. Or another progressive with fewer than 50 ratings. A PA one could overlap with a non-PA one because it would draw interest from those who don't participate in the non-PA polls.

This for me.  Ultimately there will be differences even if it's a similar idea.  That more than one person thought alike or similarly can indicate a good idea.  I've heard some fiction writers say, I try to avoid reading  a lot of the same genre as then I might read one which is similar to my idea, and then feel like I'm plagiarising that individual and so not go with it, and then when people ask, I can more easily and believably perhaps say, this was my idea even if someone wrote something similar, and I was not inspired by it.  If we got rid of every similar idea in topics at PA, and the actual exact same topics, we'd lose a lot of topics (even just ones that include Yes' Close to the Edge).

We've had about 40 of these, and it makes sense that we are going to have repeat themes and similar themes if this keeps going.  My only issue would not be repeating what I nominated before (doesn't mean my suggestions might not find their way into multiple polls).  Various people will not have participated in the earlier poll.   I do like the Asian one because I love lots of Asian music, (time for some shakuhachi and gamalan perhaps if East Asian counts), but all ideas appeal to me.  Working in Japan was a very special time of my life, and does bias me (feel a strong sense of nostalgia).

As for the overlap, that  happened with Tapfret's Prog one which started one day after Micky's.  The polls were more frequent and irregularly spaced back then, and generally less organised.  Both topics were vibrant, so it turned out well.  I would get burnt out if that happened a lot since I would want to participate in both.

Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Generally, I put in the new team members after Logan....

This series needs some fresh blood to liven things up after I have a go. LOL Wink

Edited by Logan - June 20 2021 at 16:34
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 02:22

Thanks a lot for your feedback, Greg! I was a bit worried about suggesting Asia since westerners usually have little connection with that part of the world when it comes to music and also as a theme it sounds a bit uninspired considering that you had in the past editons focusing on Africa and Latin America. However Asia is the largest continent and offers an enormous variaty of different cultures. I could even imagine another duo poll where I would encourage the participants to submit songs from two different regions of Asia. To have an insider like you on board would definitely be a gain for everybody! Smile

@ Geo
Thank you very much for your encouraging and positivresponse! Smile

Edited by Mila-13 - June 21 2021 at 02:30
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 52>