Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

When do you think Genesis jumped the shark?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: When did Genesis jump the shark?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [6.67%]
14 [31.11%]
1 [2.22%]
2 [4.44%]
2 [4.44%]
6 [13.33%]
9 [20.00%]
8 [17.78%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 00:55
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

they didn't jump the shark on singes, but with album, IMHO.

ATTWT and Duke, ASAIAC, they're still honest attemps at being themselves in a changing musical landscape, despite three crummy single hits singles (not sure YOSW was a "hit" or a "single", though) to promote their albums.

They really started sucking the bag with Abacrap (and No reply), though I do have a soft spot for Shapes' A-side (That's all was a pleasant pop single, something the cruddy Illegal Alien wasn't)

I do like Dodo/Lurker , Keep It Dark and the title track. The production was excellent but there are some real stinkers on that album admittedly. I don't mind No Reply (okay its essentially a Collins solo track and so is 'filler' but I don't hate it).
I was depressed at the time though because they were clearly handing in their 'prog badge' and were not shy to say it. But as everyone else was doing the same then it wasn't surprising. Although the 'Shapes' album gets praised I've always found it insipid. I also hate Mama way more than anything else they did!

the only thing I don't mind on Abacrep is Abacab (title track), the rest is atrocious iMHO.... not least the fault of Paghdam, which was the architect of so many awful 80's albums.

Yeah, at first, heavy WTF for Mama, but it's still miles better than Shapes' filpside and the awful IT. If I hear Mama nowadays on the radio (where else what I hear it), I won't necessarily zap it away like I did back then.

At the risk of flogging a dead horse, what about the track Dodo/Lurker? If had been released a a 4 part suite as originally it recorded would that make a difference to you? (you can find the full version on the internet somewhere .. probably if Banks hasn't had it removed Tongue)

Edited by richardh - July 20 2020 at 00:56
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 01:59
Follow You, Follow Me because:

1. My Mum liked it
2. A letter to Sounds or MM at the time said, 'I just heard Genesis on Radio 2, 'nuff said'
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 03:09
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

1. My Mum liked it
2. A letter to Sounds or MM at the time said, 'I just heard Genesis on Radio 2, 'nuff said'
I heard Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" played on BBC Radio 2 the other day, which is not something you'd EVER hear played on Radio 2 back in the 1970's and 80's. Wink
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 20:33
Well, I guess that by the way this thread was done, about songs, the right answer is Follow you Follow me, though I don't really dislike it, and I think they released many great (pop) songs after it. I would find it easier to think of them jumping shark in album terms, and for the the album would be The Lamb Lies Down in Broadway... that's when they dropped their gorgeous pastoral / symphonic sound.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 21:53
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Well, I guess that by the way this thread was done, about songs, the right answer is Follow you Follow me, though I don't really dislike it, and I think they released many great (pop) songs after it. I would find it easier to think of them jumping shark in album terms, and for the the album would be The Lamb Lies Down in Broadway... that's when they dropped their gorgeous pastoral / symphonic sound.

But A Trick Of The Tail has that pastoral/symphonic sound in spades. I'd say they didn't fully do away with it until And Then There Were Three or Duke.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 12:04
^ Sort of, indeed, but it was not quiet the same. The lack of flute is noted, I guess, even if it wasn't actually used all that prominently when Gabriel was around. However, the one song since Selling England that got closer to that sound was One for the Vine, and not really much more.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 00:53
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

1. My Mum liked it
I heard Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" played on BBC Radio 2 the other day, which is not something you'd EVER hear played on Radio 2 back in the 1970's and 80's. Wink

That's nothing , I've heard The Sex Pistols played on Radio 2 on more than one occasion.Smile

Doesn't add anything , but ELP's Works Volume One album has maybe the distinction of being the only album to have been played on radio 1, 2 and 3 back in the day!
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 01:24
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

1. My Mum liked it

That's nothing , I've heard The Sex Pistols played on Radio 2 on more than one occasion.Smile

Doesn't add anything , but ELP's Works Volume One album has maybe the distinction of being the only album to have been played on radio 1, 2 and 3 back in the day!

That's one of the most uncool yet endlessly interesting I've heard in a long time. I think that cements every opinion anyone has ever had about ELP, good or bad.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123