Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Poll XIII - Surprise, surprise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Poll Question: Pick your three favourites!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [13.51%]
6 [16.22%]
5 [13.51%]
1 [2.70%]
1 [2.70%]
4 [10.81%]
4 [10.81%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.70%]
5 [13.51%]
3 [8.11%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.70%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.70%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 22:43
Oh, I have many friends who love Eels.  Looking forward to listening, Logan

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 22:48
So I decided to use this one for an alternate, I was thinking for maybe male singer/songwriter and was contemplating two women artists.  But this one came to the fore.  I was surprised to hear this when it came to my attention.  I knew of his song, "Blues Run the Game," via Bert Jansch,  but didn't know the author of that song and this one is absolutely chilling (or on fire, as the in video). I was shocked I'd never known of this song of his, nor known of his authorship of Blues Run the Game.  The song title is "Dialogue."

Edited by Snicolette - July 21 2020 at 22:49
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 22:55
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Oh, I have many friends who love Eels.  Looking forward to listening, Logan

Well there's another coincidence. :D A serendipitous one even, provided that you do enjoy it.

EDIT: I just listened to that "I Want to Be Alone" song and loved it.

Edited by Logan - July 21 2020 at 22:58
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 23:00
I kinda thought you might, Logan.  Looking forward to hearing Eels from your viewpoint.Beer
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 01:16
- Lewian: Diethelm/ Famulari - Portrait". Energetic and clever

- Moshkito: Carmen - Fandangos in Space. I know the album well, have it in my collection. and like it. Being in PA I don't know if Lewian will include your track from it due to the guidelines, but a very good album none-the-less.

- Logan: Eels - Beautiful Freak or possibly Pulp - Dishes or Air - Radian

- The Anders: Dvar - Gyandarvaal: playful, quirky, really love it. It made me think a bit of Pierre Henry & Urban Sax's Paradise Lost and Michael Nyman even is not very similar and regionally different.

- jamesbaldwin: I vostri sgaurdi. I really loved this, a great combo of smooth Noirish jazz and more. It surprised me, and for that reason I think this will be hard to beat for me. Remarkable.

After the previous ones I feel I need to up my game (I don't get surprised much except when it comes to my own stupidity sometimes).

- Rushfan4: Rush - One Little Victory. U R 4ever a Rush fan. I've heard plenty of Rush, but little Vapor Trails. It's One Big Loss for me. ;) Kidding, but it's not my cup of Geddy Lee, and I do prefer Ginger Tea. I guess you will change that, the pick I mean, not the Rush fan bit.

- Micky: Mark Ronson - Uptown Funk. Heard that plenty, quite fun but not really my scene.

- Deee-Lite - Power of Love. Fun.

- Fleetwood Mac - Sands of Time. I liked this one a lot.

-Chrish Issak - 5:15. Nice.

- Raff: Deee-Lite - Groove is in the Heart. One I'm very familiar with and have always liked. I've danced to that in nightclubs. It's infectious in a good way.

- Fleetwood Mac - hypnotized. "You are feeling, very very sleepy ... Now on the count of three you will wake up and remember nothing of this song". ;) I enjoyed it actually, but it's not as deee-liteful as the other..

-Chrish Isaak - Wicked Game. Another song I know very well. I liked it a lot when it came out. I've been very into Twin Peaks and quite recently I watched Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me and enjoyed Chris Isaak in the movie (Bowie appeared in it too).

Will stop there for now, and Deee-lite will encourage me to post a popular dance song that I liked back when I was clubbin'. Opus III - It's a Fine Day

- Snicolette: Mahk Jchi - heartbeat Drum song. Beautiful, quite mesmerising. I liked this a lot.

And as said, I really loved the Jackson C. Frank.

Edited by Logan - July 22 2020 at 03:43
Just a fanboy passin' through.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 02:59

Lorenzo:  A Filetta  Danse Mémoire, Danse “I vostri squardi”  Very brooding and lush.  Gorgeous harmonies (as should be expected from your description), and I love when the horn comes in, it is suitably mournful.  “Sumiglia,” your nomination.  Begins with a keening solo, joined in with the other voices as a subtle backdrop, this one gave me chills.  Bravo to them and to you for bringing it here.  The acoustic Springsteen’s of “Born in the USA”  the beauty of a singer/songwriter (even a rock one) is that the songs can be stripped to their basics and they still have their true character, sometimes, even more so in the simplicity of it.  I like the echo-y sound of the guitar and also on his voice on the demo….then he sort of reprises that, on the 12-string live, but not quite so much.  I prefer this live one to the demo, he is such a good, good live performer.  The third one (also live), the beginning work with the slide sounds almost raga-ish, this is my favourite of the three.

Oh thank you very much for your feedback.

My nomination is I vostri sguardi, the song with the horn. Maybe I should edit my message if it seems that my nomination is Sumiglia. Anyway, I enjoy your comments. Yes, that voices give me chills.

And Springsteen? Well, I'm a fan, a "Bruce boy". I've seen Bruce in concert I guess 20 times, the first in 1988 and the last three years ago. He's a great performer. He gives his soul to his fans.

"Happiness is real only when shared"
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 03:11
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I edited my first post to include and change my nomination from Pulp's "Dishes" to Eel's "Beautiful Freak". I had some rather somewhat surprising coincidences with that song, and I am freakishly beautiful, which should come as no surprise.

I love this album (their debut) and Novocaine for the soul.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 03:15
This was quite a surprise when I stumbled over it, a long time ago:

I found it next to King Crimson, of course. I bought the album, and it's really good, actually.

Edited by suitkees - July 22 2020 at 03:19

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 05:29
TCat: Great post on the Steve Miller Band! I loved Fly Like An Eagle and then heard a few other things that I didn't like much of him, and I kinda gave up at this point. But the Shu Ba Da thing is every bit as good!
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 07:35
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

I edited my first post to include and change my nomination from Pulp's "Dishes" to Eel's "Beautiful Freak". I had some rather somewhat surprising coincidences with that song, and I am freakishly beautiful, which should come as no surprise.

I love this album (their debut) and Novocaine for the soul.

Me too! My favorite album of his is the second one, Electro-Shock Blues.

Another one of my top albums from the 90's.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 08:18
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Lorenzo:  A Filetta  Danse Mémoire, Danse “I vostri squardi”  Very brooding and lush.  Gorgeous harmonies (as should be expected from your description), and I love when the horn comes in, it is suitably mournful.  “Sumiglia,”.  Begins with a keening solo, joined in with the other voices as a subtle backdrop, this one gave me chills.  Bravo to them and to you for bringing it here.  The acoustic Springsteen’s of “Born in the USA”  the beauty of a singer/songwriter (even a rock one) is that the songs can be stripped to their basics and they still have their true character, sometimes, even more so in the simplicity of it.  I like the echo-y sound of the guitar and also on his voice on the demo….then he sort of reprises that, on the 12-string live, but not quite so much.  I prefer this live one to the demo, he is such a good, good live performer.  The third one (also live), the beginning work with the slide sounds almost raga-ish, this is my favourite of the three.

Oh thank you very much for your feedback.

My nomination is I vostri sguardi, the song with the horn. Maybe I should edit my message if it seems that my nomination is Sumiglia. Anyway, I enjoy your comments. Yes, that voices give me chills.

And Springsteen? Well, I'm a fan, a "Bruce boy". I've seen Bruce in concert I guess 20 times, the first in 1988 and the last three years ago. He's a great performer. He gives his soul to his fans.

I have noted that your nomination was the first video not the second.  Thank you for clarifying.  And, there's a reason why Bruce has had the staying power he has enjoyed.Smile
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 08:35

-
- Moshkito: Carmen - Fandangos in Space. I know the album well, have it in my collection. and like it. Being in PA I don't know if Lewian will include your track from it due to the guidelines, but a very good album none-the-less.

Pedro, and only Pedro, is allowed to do this in my poll. (He really scored a big one with me indicating a single song; wouldn't have expected that.)
Of course everybody is free not to vote for it on that basis. Wink

Edited by Lewian - July 22 2020 at 08:36
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 08:43
Then I'll post this for Pedro.

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 10:16
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

and one back at you Mike... talk about an artist with a back catalog that can offer many a surprise

but one for you since I take it you were a Prine fan...

(video removed for space)

Love "In My First Mind" by the way, that was another that I considered posting actually.  

And yes I'm familiar with Bonnie Raitt's version of "Angel from Montgomery" which she does an excellent job with it.  It's kind of funny to hear Prine sing it, since it starts out with the lyrics "I'm an old woman....", but it is still amazing how heartfelt it is anyway, and I mean both versions.  

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 12:02
This song reminds me of the power of discovering the right music at the right time. One night I was feeling a crushing loneliness so I turned on the radio for company and this music was like a ray of light. It was so uplifting I felt great for weeks. It was also surprising to hear a song so long and jazzy on a modern Pop radio.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 13:02
Here goes, the rest of the entries so far, plus additional comments on further postings by those who I'd already covered, as far as they'd gotten that time.  

Logan further:  Pulp “Dishes”  Ah, this is the song mentioned elsewhere, the one who’s not Jesus, though he has the same initials.  Great line!  Also somewhat reminds me of Ray Davies.  Air “Radian”  Very hypnotic and eerie, both.  Nice harp, horn and flute sounds, where it gets less eerie, but still outstanding, then moves into some other strange territory.  Wowie zowie, really enjoyed that! Pierre Henry Urban Sax “Paradise Lost”  Pretty wild stuff.  I have a friend, Archie Patterson, who really loves them, who has published a book under his “Eurock” banner about them. Opus III “It’s A Fine Day”  Really pretty voice, very different from Urban Sax!

Moshkito:  Carmen “Fandangos In Space”  I was fortunate to see this band live as opener for Jethro Tull at The Forum in 1975.  They indeed had their amplified stage floor for the flamenco dancing part of their show.  John Glascock (who was in Carmen at this time) joined Jethro Tull after Carmen disbanded, his romantic partner, Angela Allen, was the flamenco dancer.  Rock and flamenco go quite well together.  Special thanks to George for posting the live video.

Micky further: SMB “In My First Mind” Classic psych and ya gotta love the cover, too!  Bonnie Raitt “Angel From Montgomery”  Great, great Prine song…and Bonnie does it justice.  A staple in Santa Cruz radio, clubs and Bonnie’s shows always sold out in minutes there.  Good reason for that. 

TCat: Steve Miller Band “Shu Ba Da Du Ma Ma Ma Ma”  Very familiar with SMB, pretty infectious groove on this one.  Really nice post-psych rock guitar solo, as you’d advertised.  SMB “Jackson Kent Blues” He is a space cowboy, after all!  😉

George:  Beautiful People “If 60s were 90s”  Always find it interesting when bands use samples from other artists, who and why.  This is a good one, most of us wonder what Jimi would have been doing had he lived a more normal life-span.  Maybe something like this, but we’ll never know.  “Comin’ to get you” Also pretty cool…this has also surprised me with how good it is. Eels “Cancer for the Cure” The poor bagpipes!  Reminded me of the Portlandia episode where Joanna Newsome crams a concert harp into the back of a hatchback.  Cool absurdist-ish video too (speaking back to the Eels).  Pretty catchy, I think it’s going to turn into an earworm.  Carmen “Bularias”  GREAT video, thank you! 

Suitkees: King Missile “Detachable Penis”  Made me laugh.  Great novelty song! 

Meltdowner:  Bruno Pernadas “Spaceway 70”  This had me right from the beginning with the bass, then the brass and flutes kicking in, then the super-cool vocals.  I’m not a big fan of upbeat music, but this is a cool drink on a hot day.  I can see why it lifted your spirits.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 13:03
For added fun, here is the Portlandia segment I mentioned re the desecration of the bagpipes by Eels in their video.  I am sure no actual harp was damaged in this video.

Edited by Snicolette - July 22 2020 at 13:04
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 13:37
 Nice one, Joanna Newsom is awesome (I got to know her on the radio, but that was actually a show where regularly good stuff was played, so not that much of a surprise), and this is a super fun video!
Here's some of her music:

Edited by Lewian - July 22 2020 at 13:51
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 13:48
I was at a college party in my sophomore year when someone put this album on. I'd never heard anything like it. I immediately stopped talking and sat down to listen to the whole thing. I borrowed it from the host when I left and bought it 2 days later. Still adore everything he's done.

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 13:50
Here's one of these proper radio surprises. A live show of brilliant and sharp German-Polish singer and songwriter Mona Mur was on when I switched the radio on at a random time at some point in the mid-eighties, and that was how I heard her stuff for the first time.
I think this was the song that was playing when I tuned in:
"You are just ridiculous little mayflies-
You are just little pigs on the battle bench-
You are just small wheels in the gearbox"

Another one she played on that night:
This is a 1929 Brecht/Weill song.
This makes me think we should have a cover versions poll at some point.

By the way, as announced earlier, you have until end Friday to nominate, change your mind about nominations, and whatever you want, before the poll starts.

Edited by Lewian - July 22 2020 at 14:17
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>