Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What's/are the scariest movie(s) that you watched?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's/are the scariest movie(s) that you watched?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's/are the scariest movie(s) that you watched?
    Posted: August 12 2020 at 18:43
As for me, Batman (1989) was the movie that scared me most, as I was very small and it was the first movie that I watched in a movie theatre. And it was a gothic-like building, which added to the creepy atmosphere.

When I was at university, I went to see a UK horror movie, and it was the last day of the film in that theatre. I was the only person inside the cinema throughout the film, and there was a guy coming in and out from behind a curtain, once he swept a part of the floor, then later he just entered and stared at me and went back behind the curtain. It was a spooky experience, if not directly related to the movie, haha. But I was an adult, so it was, I can say, a fun type of a thrilling experience.

One of my memories not directly related to the movies was, I was alone at home and I was quite a small child. I was watching a horror movie, as usual. It was night time. Suddenly there came a noise like someone threw a stone to one of our windows. I was scared, because no person can enter that part of the exterior of our house in normal cases. I was like "oh, okay" and then another sound, and then another. I thought some psycho somehow entered inside and was trying to scare me. I nerved myself, and turned on the lights and opened the curtains. There was nothing and no one to be seen. I stopped watching the movie and just waited in anxiety but also with a wild courage to encounter whoever (or whatever) was doing that. There came the same sound, and I ran to the window and opened the curtain immediately, only to see that it is a giant grasshopper. Hahah. I was relieved beyond measure.

Other than those, the Italian movie il Nido del Nagro gave me some serious creeps, and did a "FATALITY" with its ending. I guess I'm not giving any spoilers here, it was just NOT one of the kinds of horror movie endings that I was used to. I'm surprised that it is a very little known movie. I watched it in the early 90s, I guess, via VHS cassette (rental).

ZZ

Nightmare City (Incubo sulla città contaminata) This movie also scared me when I was little. Again with a twisted ending for me, haha. It triggered my imagination, and my imagined stuff became even scarier than the movie. "What would I do if such a thing happened in real life?". Haha, believe me I gave this lots of thoughts, most of which are devious.

One other was a part from Necronomicon (1993), it was the part of the movie that Brian Yuzna directed. I was sleepy and it made me wide awake like thousands of insomniacs, hahah.

Probably the "moment" that I was scared most was not because the movie was scary, but I was thinking that I was watching a romantic film. While I was zapping, I saw a movie in one of the local TV channels of my city. There was a couple, drinking wine at a table. They got up and walked towards a swimming pool. But there was no hint that it was a horror film. Then, the lady pushed her lover into the pool, and it was still not suspicious. It seemed like they were just flirting. Then, the guy didn't come to the surface. It might have hinted something for some other people, but still I thought that it was just a joke made by the man. Then there appeared some bubbles and the lady became anxious a little. She was shouting into the pool like, "oh darling, this is not funny,". Then the camera zoomed into the pool and the water was cloudy. Just as I was beginning to wonder if something unexpected would happen, there jumped a horrid creature out of the pool and snatched the woman and dragged her into the pool. I must have been as white as a marble out of fear, hahah. I'm pretty sure that if I had known it was a horror movie, I'd not have been scared at all. Also, it was 8 pm. or something, so again I wasn't expecting to see anything scary at that time. But it was a local broadcast, so they were not that careful about what they showed to the folks, and didn't have to be in legal terms, given that the government couldn't have dealt with every TV channel in Turkey; they could only handle the situation for the nationwide broadcasts. 

From another "local" TV broadcast, I was again zapping and came across a scene where a boy was telling his mom that there's a creature inside the wardrobe. His mommy was telling him that there are nothing as "creatures", and she came in front of the wardrobe and opened it. I was ready for a horror movie, or at least, I was neutral and was not thinking that it was not a horror movie like the previous event I mentioned; but the creature that is inside the wardrobe was REALLY scary. A perfect make-up, yellow teeth etc. and a really scary grin. Imagine the yellow teeth guy from The Shawshank Redemption, and multiply it by ten. I have no idea what these movies are, but I heartily thank(!) to the people that decided to put these movies on their channels, hahah.

I was gladly not too small while watching The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. If I had watched it before, the results could have been disastrous, hahah. 

Pennywise creature was also pretty scary, gladly I saw a scene from the IT mini-series while there were lots of relatives in the house. If I had been alone then, I might have been scared as hell. 

Lastly, The Return of the Living Dead was also pretty scary for me. I was again very small while watching it, and it was aired at 4 or 5 am or something. After many hours of delay (was said to be aired at 10 pm, haha). Me and my brother... We were horror enthusiasts and really waited till that hour for the movie. I can claim that we might be the only people who waited for that movie till that time, as there was a very good chance that it might have been cancelled, we just "believed" that we were gonna see it, and gladly it happened. The funny thing was that, I had a very important exam that day (private teaching institution, but it was an important exam anyways) and I had to attend it without sleep, hahah. I'm talking about primary school years here.

Do you have scary movies to tell and/or stories to share?

Edited by Shadowyzard - August 12 2020 at 20:46
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 20:10
Texas Chainsaw, the original, is creepy through the entire movie. The scene with grandpa and the sledgehammer is unsettling. The redo is not as creepy. Hellraiser is awesome and has a plot that is unique. House of 1000 Corpses has bits of comedy...the scene were patients are in Dr. Evil's waiting room. Evil Dead and Dead Alive are both great at mixing scare and comedy. And the one I've heard about but don't have the balls to buy (can't find it on PPV) A Serbian Film. On my to do list. Can't leave out Psycho.

Others...Silence of the Lambs, Saw, Get Out, A Nightmare on Elm Street.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 20:20
I was pretty scared by one of the A Nightmare on Elm Street movies too. I was very small and it was really a scary experience. I cannot remember which one was that, I remember a scene that Freddy turns into many spiders and a girl was stepping on them etc.

Actually the only movie that disturbed my mental state in my 30s was Martyrs, a French movie. I cannot categorize it as "horror", but it was really disturbing and impactful.

Hellraiser series is great, especially the first 2 movies. But I see them more as fantasy than horror.

Edited by Shadowyzard - August 12 2020 at 20:21
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 20:28
Also Candyman... I cannot express my feelings about it while watching. Like watching a horror and a drama film at the same time. I was really enthralled and shaken and also scared. I can't forget its musics. Also, I couldn't dare to say "Candyman" thrice in front of a mirror. Honestly, I'm not sure. I might have done that, but not without shivers down my spine, hahah.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 20:39
Oh and... Michael Myers... I cannot say that Halloween series had a huge impact on me... But I can easily say that Michael Myers was horror incarnate for me. Like Kobe Bryant scored 81 points in a match... Mike Myers has always been that Kobe for me in the movies. One man team (film).
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 03:04
At about 12 years old, The Evil Dead scared the living sh*t out of me. And it still gives me chills, but really great fun.
Salem’s Lot is amazing. The original It (Stephen King) is super scary, and I love Deathship (with George Kennedy R.I.P.).
The Ring, The Grudge, Final Destination, all of them are exciting.
Love Horror movies.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 03:08
Anything that revolves around porcelain dolls, Seed of Chucky
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 03:41
The only movie that's ever given me nightmares (mainly because I was really too young to watch it) was "Quatermass and the Pit".
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cactus Choir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 04:10
The most traumatised I've ever been by a film was watching the Battle of Britain at the cinema when I was six. There's a scene where one of the Luftwaffe bomber crew gets his eyes shot out that completely terrified me, so much so that for many years I was unable to watch the scene whenever the film got one of its regular outings on TV. I can just about cope with it now!
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 04:44
Jason and the Argonauts, I was about 8 years old and saw this in the theater in the early 60s.  Honest I couldn't sleep for a week.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 13:27
One final scary memory...

V sci-fi series was exciting and sometimes creepy for me when I was a small child. I cannot forget a moment when I was extremely frightened and appalled. The lady called Diana was in human shape and rubbing her eyes in a room. Then the door was suddenly knocked, as far as I remember and she withdrew her hands from over her eyes and the image of a human with reptilian eyes flashed and that was really too much for me. That is also because I was used to seeing Diana as a beautiful woman or an alien creature. The mix of them was unexpected and shocking. I always find human-like creatures more horrifying. I just find creatures like Cthulhu as "dangerous" and all. They never cause real affrightment for me.

Edited by Shadowyzard - August 13 2020 at 13:28
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 13:39
Three movies that I remember really scaring me as a kid were The Day of the Animals, Grizzly, and The Swarm.  We used to camp a lot when I was a kind so the idea of animals rising up and attacking humans scared the bejesus out of me. 

The original Friday the 13th scared me for the same reason since it took place at a camp.  I saw this movie when I was 12 or 13 years old and we went camping shortly afterwards.  I was sleeping in my tent one night when I heard the sound of a raccoon gnawing on a bone outside of my tent.  Needless to say, not knowing what it was, I was screaming for my parents that Jason was outside of my tent.  LOL 

Edited by rushfan4 - August 13 2020 at 13:40
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 13:44
First time i watched Riders of the Lost Arc it scared me quite alot, and that is not a horror movie. But it contains some real scary moments both at the start in the cave and also in the end in the other cave when the Nazis melted.

Edited by Icarium - August 13 2020 at 13:45
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 14:50
I was probably about 8 or nine and my friends mum told us that there was a good movie on that night - The Birds. I wasn't keen, but not to appear wimpy I gave it a go. I watched it alone that night and when it got to the part where they find the dead guy next to his bed with his eyes pecked out I just freaked. Unfortunately I didn't get to see the end of the film until years later, but that particular moment is burnt in my brain forever. Some others that freaked me out when I was a kid were Dracula Prince of Darkness and The True Story of Frankenstein (the one with James Mason and Michael Sarrazin in)

Nowadays, no horror film scares me. I watched the latest Halloween movie recently and it was awful and I laughed throughout at how bad it was. 
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 15:42
^If you watched Get Out you may change your mind about horror movies nowadays.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 16:21
The scariest movie I ever saw as a kid was Doctor Who & the Daleks. I never slept downstairs again after watching that. Smile

The scariest horror movies I've seen as an adult are John Carpenter's movies, not because of the films themselves, but because of the creepy music. Dead

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 16:27
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

Jason and the Argonauts, I was about 8 years old and saw this in the theater in the early 60s.  Honest I couldn't sleep for a week.

Gots 'ta love the classic Pulp cinema.   This scene as Talos slowly looks down at the two sailors, his bronze neck creaking as he turns, is one of the most effective of the Harryhausen era.   Chilling.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 16:38
2018's Hereditary, despite having a rather simple story, was a sublimely executed, deeply unsettling experience that matches no other horror film I've seen.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 16:42
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

The scariest horror movies I've seen as an adult are John Carpenter's movies, not because of the films themselves, but because of the creepy music. Dead[tube]https://youtu.be/8_tGvktfjjk[/tube

He was a neat composer, and must've saved a fortune on original scoring.

Of course a young JLC helped  -

Take A Trip Down Memory Lane With These Pictures Of Young Jamie ...

Looking pretty good today -

Jamie Lee Curtis: Neuer Halloween-Horror - Kino - Bild.de

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 17:11
The movie that scared me the most when I was younger was burnt offerings. The chauffer with the sunglasses creeped the hell out of me. One of the most underrated horror movies of all time imo.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>