Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A to Z of Classic German Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 28>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2021 at 08:39

The Light from Deep Darkness

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 27 2021 at 07:01
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2021 at 06:57
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2021 at 10:26
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2021 at 10:47
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2021 at 21:55
Hi,

This is a portion of the list of things that Guy Guden played on his show starting in 1974 and in the several years following.

Of special attention is the stuff by TD and KS, which was always played in its entirety, and then some.

Some of the things were more interesting than the others but all of them fit. The one important thing about all of these was them being played THEN live on a radio station, rather than just be an after thought 40 and some years later on the tube or PA. The feeling is very different, specially for folks that listen to so much music here at PA ... there was NOTHING around that showed these things then, although I suppose that there were some college radio stations that might have played one thing or two, but we know that TD and KS were never played full blast in their entirety.

Hearing any of the new stuff these days, very few of them come up to the level of far out, strange, weird, neat, great ... that some of those things were in the first days ... one example was GONG that was really well known in the "import" community but did not get played until later when YOU was released if I am not mistaken, which made us get all the other previous albums immediately ... and from then on all the albums by Steve Hillage, Daevid Allen, Gilly Smith and Pierre Moerlin got played in their entirety as well.

Today, it's easy to say, BY COMPARISON, that there isn't a lot of "new music" since, so much of it has a similar sound, or ideas as the other, better known, popular stuff, and in some ways I think this really hurts the advent of new experiences.

Today, some 48+ years later, Space Pirate Radio is still going, and showcasing so much new music as to make many of us get headaches ... we don't even know how to classify many of those things, though it might be easier to say that the electronic music scene in Germany NEVER DIED and is still going very strong.

The only sad thing, for me, is knowing that Edgar is not with us, and that Klaus is probably nearing the end as well, and while I bet that he has more than 50 things in the vaults that will keep many people happy, the sad thing is us not being able to appreciate the artist for his/her ability. Both TD and KS, never really lost their spark and always did something else, and that is not a comment that other bands did not have the ability but a comment about the creativity and the person behind those works.

A lot of "krautrock" as I have said many times, is something special and an even more important art scene that went to film, theater, literature and other arts, though many of us here are not quite versatile enough to see that ... as an example, we know that improvisation was huge in those days in music, and then you get Klaus Kinski, and he was the monster of improvisation, which you can get a feel for what Damo came from although possibly softer and not as harsh and not so intense as we see on the screen. For a better visual idea of this see Werner Herzog's special about his friend.

I hope that another art scene like this one can happen, but I am not sure that we will see it when we continually look at "numbers" as the main factor. It's the music and its art that matters, and this very special scene probably rivals the London one for content and value as much as the SF and NY scenes did.

Here is the abbreviated list from Guy's shows which I can validate with dates, although there were also things that I did not know what they were in between. But the variety of touches and moments was, and still is, incredible, and hopefully some folks in PA can start appreciating what it feels like to really hear something new, instead of something that has familiar bits and pieces.

Agitation Free
Between
The Cosmic Jokers
Eloy
Edgar Froese (added for Verselibre)
Guru Guru (suggested by BaldFriede)
Hoelderlin
Jane (suggested by Moshkito)
Kraan (suggested by BaldJean)
Lucifer's Friend (suggested by DrWu23)
Message (added by ProgMind)
Novalis
Passport
Klaus Schulze
Tangerine Dream (added for Verselibre)
Utopia (added by DrWu23)
Wallenstein (suggested by Moshkito)
Xhol Caravan/Xhol (suggested by Moshkito)
Yatha Sidhra

Amon Duul II (added by Moshkito)
Brainticket (added by Verslibre)
Can (not suggested by anyone, but an an absolute must for inclusion)
Embryo (added by BaldFriede)
Faust (added by Bald Friede)
Krokodil (added by Spacious Mind)
Liliental (added by BaldJean)
Mythos (added by Spacious Mind)
Popol Vuh (added by Moshkito)
Walter Wegmüller (added by Gordy)

Neu
Kraftwerk
Grobschnitt (and the drummer solos)

Edited by moshkito - July 29 2021 at 22:01
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2021 at 09:00
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Hearing any of the new stuff these days, very few of them come up to the level of far out, strange, weird, neat, great ... that some of those things were in the first days ... one example was GONG that was really well known in the "import" community but did not get played until later when YOU was released if I am not mistaken, which made us get all the other previous albums immediately ... and from then on all the albums by Steve Hillage, Daevid Allen, Gilly Smith and Pierre Moerlin got played in their entirety as well.

I listened to all of Daevid Allen's Gong, Pierre Moerlen's Gong and Mother Gong's 57 varieties of albums recently. My 5-star favourite was "Downwind"  by PMG which totally blew me away, as has Eloy's outstanding run of 5-star albums. Clap

========================================

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 30 2021 at 09:02
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2021 at 16:36
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Hi,

My thought and original idea is how well and valuable it was that you did this whole thread. I simply wish there was a bit more about the artistry of it all being discussed as there were many things that were way out there.

An odd ball example, for me, is Floh de Cologne ... which did not register with me at all then, and and all of a sudden listening to it now, somehow it makes sense as a sort of revolutionary type of thing (like rap) that made comments, many of which were political I think. I do not know German well enough to tell you what some of their stuff was! Again, the free form "commentary" was not likely "lyrics" for a song, and was based on the same improvisational process as far as I can tell.

Far out stuff ... and really neat and I'm glad to see it openly visited like you have shown it.

Edited by moshkito - July 30 2021 at 16:36
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2021 at 13:42
^ Thanks! Most of the Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music I've featured here is totally new to me too, and that includes the far out, spacey albums of Eloy - the best Krautrock band I've heard so far, and quite possibly the best German band in the prog universe! I haven't handed out this many 5-star ratings since Mostly Autumn. Thumbs Up

Astral Entrance

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2021 at 07:15
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^ Thanks! Most of the Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music I've featured here is totally new to me too, and that includes the far out, spacey albums of Eloy - the best Krautrock band I've heard so far, and quite possibly the best German band in the prog universe! 

Hi,

You really ought to get into Grobschnitt. I specially like their long cuts and how they are designed and determined and they have, probably, one of the best drummers and you gotta love his transitions ... most drummers start the thing 4 bars before, and Eroc does starts it last week!!!! And by the time you hear SOLAR MUSIC live re-mastered, you will go ... wow ... different versions of SM and yet all of them good.

They may have a fun side, but their music is very serious and well defined.
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2021 at 09:20
^ Thanks for the recommendation. I've added Grobschnitt to the 2nd Krautrock A-Z list, in place of German Oak. Thumbs Up

Amon Duul II (added by Moshkito)
Brainticket (added by Verselibre)
Can (added by popular demand)
Dschinn (a late substitute for Deuter)
Embryo (added by Bald Friede)
Faust (added by Bald Friede)
Grobschnitt (added by Moshkito)
Hanuman (added by Logan)
Ihre Kinder (added by Spacious Mind)
Janus (added by Spacious Mind)
Krokodil (added by Spacious Mind)
Liliental (added by Bald Jean)
Mythos (added by Spacious Mind)
Necronomicon (added by Bald Jean)
Orange Peel (added by Spacious Mind)
Popol Vuh (added by Mohkito)
Royal Servants (added by Spacious Mind)
Sperrmull (added by Spacious Mind)
Tomorrow's Gift (added by Spacious Mind)
The Utopia Strong (added as a last resort, instead of skipping the letter "U")
Vinegar (added by Spacious Mind)
Walter Wegmuller (added by Gordy)
Yggdrasil (added by Spacious Mind)
Zarathustra (added by Spacious Mind)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 01 2021 at 09:23
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2021 at 09:28
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2021 at 10:05
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2021 at 10:21
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2021 at 08:34
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2021 at 12:33
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2021 at 05:07
The Eloy fix!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2021 at 08:39
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

The Eloy fix!
I'm travelling 50 years back in time through Eloy's entire discography, and so far, they're turning out to be every bit as good as I'd been led to believe by the good members of ProgArchives. Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2021 at 07:33
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2021 at 07:54
3 stars 1984: Eloy:- Code  Name: Wild Geese (soundtrack) - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mshJPvvrAKn_5MyKS_izl2uG567iiizdU

Voyager of the Future Race

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2021 at 08:21
3 stars 1984: Eloy:- Code  Name: Wild Geese (soundtrack) - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mshJPvvrAKn_5MyKS_izl2uG567iiizdU

Call of the Wild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 28>