Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is prog dying out, or coming back?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 12:10
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

I don't buy into the idea of easing people into prog. That assumes that everyone prefers easy music and needs to be coaxed into prog... not true. I think people need to be exposed to prog for what it is, in all its glory.

I think it depends on whom you introduce to prog music. If that person is someone you don't know anything about, I'd follow your path. If that person doesn't know anything about rock music, I'd go for a mellow or catchy song. If that is a very young person, I'd recommend a classic and a modern prog band, and so on and so forth.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 12:14
I like to gear my recommendations as much as possible to an individual’s tastes, so I would base my Prog recommendations based on what styles of music/ bands/ composers they already like. If I didn’t know that person’s tastes already, then I would try to find out more about what that person is into. My mother is most into classical music, and she liked Aranis. I would not have tried a very rock one with her. My wife is most into stuff like ABBA and The Carpenters, and kinds of folk based music, and I tried Mellow Candle’s Swaddling Song with her. Also played her some Renaissance, but she found the vocals whiny.

Edited by Logan - October 04 2020 at 12:16
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 00:34
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

My first recommendation to someone who never heard prog before would be close to the edge by Yes but maybe that's just me. Wink 

I'd suggest "In the Court of the Crimson King" by King Crimson.  That is the one that hooked me. 

Both are fantastic starting points IMHO.
The first ever record I heard that could be described as prog was Love over Gold by Dire Straits, actually. I didn't used to be into prog until I heard an album that can only be prog related and realised what I was missing.
By the way, this thread is huge! So many answers! I'm not complaining, it's provided a lot of insight for me and hopefully others. Wasn't expecting this, though! LOL

Great story! I remember listening to my father's jazz CD's and instantly being hooked. My intro to prog was through jazz, which I had an affinity for regardless (I think it's hereditary lol), and found Return to Forever, Camel, Cassiopea, etc!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Woon Deadn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 14:47
While I'm not that old, I still realize that practically every excellent thing in life cannot go on forever - not on Earth, at least. Everything tends to be getting spoiled. 

Since I consider prog excellent... no chance it will be revived. Sorry. 

You can't reproduce The Battle Of Epping Forest, though the lyrics are available for everyone for free and the singing there is not that hard to analyze and imitate. The magic of Knots has gone, it returns when listening to the original Knots - not when you'll try to create something in the vein of. 

Experimental music will certainly exist till the end of the world. Excellent prog has died long ago. For me. 

Edited by Woon Deadn - October 06 2020 at 14:47
Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 07:47
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

First three to get

ITCOTCK
CTTE
Foxtrot

Hi,

Nice listing ... but I can't help thinking that it shows how much the rest of Europe is being left behind ... by the time 2 of these were done, the German thing was almost coming to an end ... it's explosion of new music and their improvisational style, almost all gone!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 07:54
Prog is dead as a nit.

It's 2020. Prog was 50 years ago. Things move on. Is Dixieland jazz coming back ? Nope. 

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 07:57
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Is Dixieland jazz coming back ? Nope. 
Has it gone away? My father-in-law watches it every Sunday, at least he did up to 23rd March.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 08:01
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

First three to get

ITCOTCK
CTTE
Foxtrot

Hi,

Nice listing ... but I can't help thinking that it shows how much the rest of Europe is being left behind ... by the time 2 of these were done, the German thing was almost coming to an end ... it's explosion of new music and their improvisational style, almost all gone!

That's just the first 3 I'd add a bunch of European and American albums in the next batch
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 09:23
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Prog is dead as a nit.

It's 2020. Prog was 50 years ago. Things move on. Is Dixieland jazz coming back ? Nope. 

You haven't been to Bourbon Street and the French Quarter in New Orleans...? Maybe you have, if not put on your bucket list...Wife and I went all the time when we lived there, Preservation Hall is a key stop.

File:PreservationHall 2008.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Although, prog is dead....I agree!! LOL

Edited by Catcher10 - October 07 2020 at 09:24
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 11:59

My first recommendation to someone who never heard prog before would be close to the edge by Yes but maybe that's just me. Wink 

I'd suggest "In the Court of the Crimson King" by King Crimson.  That is the one that hooked me. 

The first ever record I heard that could be described as prog was Love over Gold by Dire Straits, actually. I didn't used to be into prog until I heard an album that can only be prog related and realised what I was missing.
By the way, this thread is huge! So many answers! I'm not complaining, it's provided a lot of insight for me and hopefully others. Wasn't expecting this, though! LOL

Great story! I remember listening to my father's jazz CD's and instantly being hooked. My intro to prog was through jazz, which I had an affinity for regardless (I think it's hereditary lol), and found Return to Forever, Camel, Cassiopea, etc!

I used to love jazz too. I prefer jazz metal now.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 12:17

I prefer jazz metal now.

Who? The reason I ask is because a while ago, I thought I'd devised a new genre of music by combining jazz and metal. When I googled "jazz metal", one group that I found was Counter-World Experience.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 13:42
For me it really hasn't changed much....I think it's about the same .
The same friends who were into it back in the early 70's are the same ones I know still listening to prog.
I have tried to get my daughters and son in law into it but they are mostly into modern pop or alternative stuff.
Most of the people my age aren't even into music that much and if they are  it's radio friendly music.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 15:16
For my two cents worth, last time I went to the pub with half a dozen mates, everybody was still listening to prog. Some were even still buying it. Cant get my daughter into it though, although she tells me her friends are listening to Zep,Sabbath, Maiden so perhaps some are listening to ore pure prog. Wno knows.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 00:54

I used to love jazz too. I prefer jazz metal now.

We're on the same page, bro (same note?!).

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Woon Deadn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 06:30
I was born in 1983 in Ukraine, then the part of the USSR. First time I met something of the style in 1995. Two vinyls of Gentle Giant: Three Friends (original British cover) and TPATG. Had no idea who they were, but the covers sure stuck in my mind. Later that year in August 1995 I bought a rock cyclopedia by Vitaly Menshikov (much later would be known as Progressor...). There I read that GG "played probably the most complex music in all of art rock". 

I heard the band for the first time only in May 2002 and it changed my life forever. I was 18.9 y.o. at the time... 

My story is not anyhow characteristic, though. But, yeah, we exist. Which doesn't mean, the subject does anymore.  
Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 10:23
Hi,

(SOAP BOX MODE)

Honestly, I would like to see this thread LOCKED ... PA WOULD NOT BE HERE IF THE MUSIC WAS DEAD ... and for the record, PA came up when the "music" was "supposedly" falling off the edge of the old world!

(END SOAP BOX MODE)

Enjoy your Sunday ... there's some football to watch ... (in America that is!)
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2020 at 09:21
One or two examples doesn't mean it's "alive". 

I seem to remember the old hack "Punx not dead". Ohhhh yes it is. 

Define "alive". I define it as "commercially alive."

As for PA not being here if the music was dead, what a ludicrous argument. 

Edited by Davesax1965 - October 16 2020 at 09:22

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2020 at 09:25
Maybe the tread should have asked "how commercially viable is prog rock now?"
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2020 at 10:35
^ That would indeed be a more interesting question, imo. We recently had a thread about "can musicians make a living out of there music?" (I am not a musician so I didn't participate), but how many prog bands are able to make a living (for musicians and crew) out of their activities. I actually have no idea, but my intuition says that it is probably not that many...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2020 at 11:15
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Maybe the tread should have asked "how commercially viable is prog rock now?"
That's basically what I was originally asking with my first modern prog thread.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>