Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Eddie Van Halen!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 15:29
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^^^ the infamous tour where Sabbath came off as choir boys in comparison.

it was a BS on the edge of the precipice, no wonder they were easy prey LOL

Been listening to Van halen since I read the news, I can't believe it, been listening to this band since i was a kid... I'm shocked and sad (an understatement). 
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 15:30
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

I grew up in the late 70's & 80's with bands like Van Halen.
Part of the sound track of my youth. You will be missed Eddie. 

Same here. And I still regularly listen to their albums (especially their first six). Sad news.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 15:32
A huge shame and a great loss.

RIP
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 15:32
Valerie Bertenelli left him due to his smoking. She saw the writing on the wall. Very sad &amp;#128577;

Honestly, he hasn't been relevant in the guitar world since the 80s. As a guitarist i never found him very creative beyond the albums up to 5150 then it was just mediocre crap.

Yeah, he was a legend but never one of my favorite guitarists beyond the first album's influence.

Still though, RIP, man! You really did get the shredding ball rolling.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 15:34
[QUOTE=siLLy puPPy] ...mediocre crap.[QUOTE] Sorry bro, but I wish I could play some of his "mediocre crap."

Edited by SteveG - October 06 2020 at 15:42
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 15:42
Still sitting here in disbelief, trying to work...

Van Halen was the band of my childhood and teen years before I discovered prog rock.

But I never stopped liking, or listening to, Van Halen. I've bought all the albums multiple times, even the most recent batch of remasters. I was hoping they'd do more one more album.

Whether you think Eddie Van Halen was a big deal or not, it's the end of an era.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 15:43
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Honestly, he hasn't been relevant in the guitar world since the 80s.

That is patently untrue. Go ask any young guitarist. Many of them start playing because of Eddie, to this day.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 15:49
The extended scene. I must confess, I'm seeing this for the first time.

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 15:51
It wasn't just his soloing innovations--  his compositions, riffs & rhythms could be as good as his lead performances.

Edited by Atavachron - October 06 2020 at 15:51
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 15:57
Don't forget Eddie's integration of keyboards into Van Halen's sound, something the other guys were initially against.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 16:00
^ I don't blame them, 'Jump' still makes me cringe.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 16:01
And Eddie made tapping cool. Something Steve Hackett could never do.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 16:07

Neither has Jeff Beck. 

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 16:08

^ I don't blame them, 'Jump' still makes me cringe.

Not this guy. I loved it. Still do! Oberheim OB-Xa, man. Sounds awesome.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 16:34
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

That is patently untrue. Go ask any young guitarist. Many of them start playing because of Eddie, to this day.

Well yeah but when i mean relevant i mean innovative actually. Probably a better word. Even the youth go to the earliest albums. Do you really think anyone was inspired by OU812? LOL

To be more specific, Eddie will ALWAYS be relevant but what IS true is that his top dog status was dethroned in the 80s when guitarists like Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Marty Friedman and many others who were much more creative pretty much made him seem tame in comparison.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 16:35

Neither has Jeff Beck. 

True dat. Everyone has an expiration date but we still love and admire them at their creative peak. Eddie VH will be loved forever for his early Van Halen years.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 16:52
Sad news, RIP.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 17:00
I just heard and honestly i'm shocked. 
Prog he was not, but that doesn't matter. I was still blown away the first time I heard Eddie play.
Never heard anything like his playing, and still haven't to this day.

Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 17:04
I posted this earlier in the RIP thread and also just saw it mentioned on the news(of course I knew they had to mention it). A really sad day for rock fans no matter what your favorite style is. He was so influential and important and above all talented. RIP Eddie. 

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 17:10

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Well yeah but when i mean relevant i mean innovative actually. Probably a better word. Even the youth go to the earliest albums. Do you really think anyone was inspired by OU812? LOL

To be more specific, Eddie will ALWAYS be relevant but what IS true is that his top dog status was dethroned in the 80s when guitarists like Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Marty Friedman and many others who were much more creative pretty much made him seem tame in comparison.

Don't forget Randy Rhodes and Stevie Ray Vaughn who seemed to have become more influential and famous after their untimely deaths.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>