Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wobbler - Dwellers of the Deep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 14:15
I'm pretty addicted to 'Five Rooms', gotta explore the rest of it as well!
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2020 at 16:23
Any one else notice the first song on the CD begins on the second beat? Does this happen on the LP?

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2020 at 16:40
Gave it a first listen yesterday. Great vintage prog album, but my first impression is that its just a bit below their previous release - this may change. Yet it is easily 4.5 stars and a likely top 5 candidate for me.
Sounds quite Yes-infused with a touch of Anekdoten.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2020 at 19:33
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Any one else notice the first song on the CD begins on the second beat? Does this happen on the LP?

I do notice that on both but digital and vinyl, strange but it’s very minor. I love By The Banks and Merry Macabre, but I agree with the sentiment that on both of those the outros could’ve been played out for another minute or so and the songs would be improved just a little. I’ll have a review going up soon, still on the fence with my rating, we need half stars on this site badly.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 00:07
Still yet to pick this one up. I know it will be good, and more along the lines of their albums from `Rites at Dawn' onwards...but I would REALLY love them to make another like `Afterglow', where there was more of an Anglagard-like sound.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 00:19
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I do notice that on both but digital and vinyl, strange but it’s very minor. I love By The Banks and Merry Macabre, but I agree with the sentiment that on both of those the outros could’ve been played out for another minute or so and the songs would be improved just a little. I’ll have a review going up soon, still on the fence with my rating, we need half stars on this site badly.
It's a notable mistake on a professional release. I wouldn't call it minor. If you're reading this Wobbler, PM me and I can provide quality control for no charge on future releases.

Looking forward to your review and agree about the half stars. I would even go quarter stars.
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 04:20

It's a notable mistake on a professional release. I wouldn't call it minor. If you're reading this Wobbler, PM me and I can provide quality control for no charge on future releases.

Looking forward to your review and agree about the half stars. I would even go quarter stars.
Would be a very strange mistake. It's not exactly difficult to catch. My first thought was that it was intentional.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2020 at 14:06
My second copy, the green marble variant, arrived in remarkable time. Shipped from Spain on the 23rd, arrived in LA yesterday, and arrived on my door step in NY today. It looks pretty cool, but its a lot darker than the pictures showed. People who got the red and yellow variant came out on top, the pictures looked ugly but in reality it looks sick.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 01:42
Only one listen so will not try to be too gushing.

My immediate thought is that although it is obviously recalling the classic prog era (Yes especially) there is also a lot of the 90's Scandi-prog scene in it (especially Anglagard) as well a touch of Deluge Grander. So I don't think this is just stuck in the seventies although it's certainly a lovely comfy sofa of an album for those that put Yes right at the top of the tree. These guys really know their prog for sure. Fantastic playing and atmosphere. Perhaps I will come down to earth with my second listen!
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 02:07
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Only one listen so will not try to be too gushing.

My immediate thought is that although it is obviously recalling the classic prog era (Yes especially) there is also a lot of the 90's Scandi-prog scene in it (especially Anglagard) as well a touch of Deluge Grander. So I don't think this is just stuck in the seventies although it's certainly a lovely comfy sofa of an album for those that put Yes right at the top of the tree. These guys really know their prog for sure. Fantastic playing and atmosphere. Perhaps I will come down to earth with my second listen!

totally agree with you
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 17:15
Dwellers of the Deep is currently the 68th best prog album of all time on PA.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 04:40
Currently ranked #8 for the year on Rateyourmusic, good for exposure
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 05:09

Sounds like it's been cut off to me.
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 05:56
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Sounds like it's been cut off to me.
The guitarist said on Discord that it's not cut off, but starts like that.

I think it's a great opener to a track like By The Banks.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 16:29
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

It's a lovely album which sounds just like all their previous lovely albums. 

^this. I don't get the Wobbler hype at all They're basically repeating their decent debut LP with every next record they release... and even that debut was already very derivative of Yes, Anglagard and Sinkadus
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 16:52
Some good reviews here but I'll wait until they put the first beat back in. :P
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 18:55
First beat is there ^ talked to Marius, it's very quick. Still working on my review, easily gonna be over 2000 words, should be good to go soon!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 23:02
No, people mentioned it on here and I listened to it on youtube and it definitely sounds like the beginning part is chopped off. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 23:04

Currently ranked #8 for the year on Rateyourmusic, good for exposure

Yeah, that kind of reminds me of how back in 2002 when Spock's Beard's "snow" album made it to number 15 on the top internet albums chart.
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2020 at 04:03
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

No, people mentioned it on here and I listened to it on youtube and it definitely sounds like the beginning part is chopped off. 
It's not chopped off. Here's the quote from Marius:

Quote Question about the start of By The Banks. Did you intentionally cut off the first beat, as it sounds?
Quote Nope, its a real straight on the one start. Or rather a very brief flame before the one. I’ve seen people discussing it, but it be like dat. Unless theres something on the CD version that went awry.

If someone’s edition, CD or vinyl, starts differently than this please let me know.

I think it's a great way to open the album.

Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

It's a lovely album which sounds just like all their previous lovely albums. 

^this. I don't get the Wobbler hype at all  They're basically repeating their decent debut LP with every next record they release... and even that debut was already very derivative of Yes, Anglagard and Sinkadus
Really? Especially from Rites at Dawn and even more the last two, I don't see the similarity to Hinterland.

Edited by Zeph - November 03 2020 at 04:06
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>