FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGENESIS Reformation w/ Gabriel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2005 at 15:59
Originally posted by Cygnus X-1 Cygnus X-1 wrote:

i thought i read somewhere collins didn't like prog, so why would he reform genesis?

Well, nevermind Phil's opinion, he listens to Eminem and Usher... so, I don't look up to him for musical recommendations. I only care for his drumming and singing, but I must say, when it comes to the vocals in Genesis... 

Gabriel is THE man.
I'm the man on the inside looking out
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2005 at 16:27

It'd be my most wanted reformation of all, seeing as I'm a mere 17 and never got to see the band in their heyday. Seriously, this would be great news, and would probably be the most high profile reformation in rock short of Led Zeppelin, I reckon! The icing on the cake would be a new album- please don't let 'Calling All Stations' be their last album- it was by far their worst album...

I also seem to be one of the few here that respects Phil Collins, and his singing I've always found to be of excellent quality. But of course, if Gabriel was mooted to sing in the band again, I can think of few people who'd choose Phil over Peter- I very much doubt even Phil Collins would!

CaincelaOreinim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2005 at 16:44
If Gabriel does end up agreeing to it...I think there'd be manifold expectations (aside from the fans' ends) but in terms of monetary estimations...  His entourage these days is expansive and indelibly expensive; I sure would pay whatever to see it if he takes the time to make it into a show a la his recent solo outings.  That would be awesome, as opposed to a, well "real Genesis Musical Box show" ahah.
SevenColoured View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2005 at 19:25

THE PROGRESSIVE ROCK WILL RISE AGAIN

adelepiani View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2005 at 23:41

Originally posted by FragileDT FragileDT wrote:

I don't think it was but I saw it somewhere. That would be the best thing
ever. Period.

I'm completely agree with you, that would be absolutely awesome...

...Carpe Diem...
PROGMAN View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2005 at 05:48
Great Man!!!
CYMRU AM BYTH
thrang theng View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2005 at 08:45

I love Genesis, but I would be really desappointed if their possible/impossible reunion would turn just into a commercial revival of their shadows. Could it leave some bitter in our Genesis music lovers?

I mean... the chance to see them live all together is a gift to whose who didn't see them in the past... but what do you expect they will do?

Play again the Great songs of their own repertoire of the '70 to '77? Breath the flavour of what it was and would never be again? Would a new album of their own be another mile stone? awesome, but very unlike to be...

I would rather appreciate an event, something like Steve Hackett did with Wetton and Co that delivered the beatuful Tokyo Tapes... Few months later that event I saw him with another band, doing almost the same songs. What a deception! The risk is a performance which lacks of any spirit... and that is what the listener gets. So maybe better to remember the good things and forgive tham they split after Seconds Out.

Take my fire
Take my food and water
Forget about those promises
Of social good and social order...
transend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2005 at 22:11

I find it interesting to note the day this was first posted ...

OCTOBER 2ND ...

I seem to remember going to Milton Keynes on October 2nd 1982 to see Genesis with Peter Gabriel..

Best concert I ever went to...even if Peter Gabriel did play drums on 'Turn it on again'...

Hope it is karma!!!

Miaugion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2005 at 10:03
Originally posted by Cygnus X-1 Cygnus X-1 wrote:

i thought i read somewhere collins didn't like prog, so why would he reform genesis?

I don't know about the prog comment and what such comments could mean when they come from such accomplished musicians but at least it's a well-known fact that Collins's favourite Genesis album is "The Lamb lies down on Broadway."
You house proud town mouse
ha ha, charade you are
the dragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2005 at 06:17

My God... The rise of the greatest prog band ever ...

Too much good to be real, I fear...

Still alive...
Ridge View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 22:26

Only in our dreams dudes!  No way this ever happens!  Besides Gabriel in a flower suit at his age!

Discipline is never an end in it self, only a means to an end.
chessman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2005 at 19:45
I, like many, think it highly unlikely, sadly, that such a reunion would come about. However, it is not impossible - stranger things have happened! We can all wait and hope. I do believe, nevertheless, that if they DO ever reform, they will make it worthwhile for everyone. They are too professional and, to be honest, too talented to go into it half-heartedly. They were superb in their youth, and now they have years of experience behind them. We all know how good Hackett is solo, and the other members wouldn't want to be left behind. So, while I think it is only a dream, I do think, if the dream comes true, it could be the concert of the century. (And how about a guest appearance from Anthony Phillips, or John Silver?)
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2005 at 20:19
Well, no-one would have thought VdGG would ever reunite, but the Generator is going as strong as ever.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2005 at 04:11

Yes, you never know. It would be exciting and if Gabriel is still doing rolling in some sort of ball in his own shows, why wouldn't he wear some of his old costumes. Age doesn't hold him back.

I might add: nobody thought that Floyd would ever come back again (even though it was for a while), or that Wakeman would rejoin Yes, or that Yes' Drama - outfit would reform, so...

They can still get along well with each other, and they already reformed in '82, even though it was to give WOMAD financial support, so keep on hoping. It wouldn't be like in the '70's, but the same goes for Van der Graaf Generator and they still know how to do a great show...

kingofbizzare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2005 at 00:36
If Pink Floyd can reuntie after huge ego battles and multiple members saying that they would never reunite, then I'm sure Genesis can do it too, especially since a few of them seem to think it will happen.
Damen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2005 at 10:33
It would be wonderful, the only thing that scares me is ticket prices, especially since the ones for the Cream reunion are $350...
"It's amazing that we've been able to put up with each other for 35 years. Most marriages don't last that long these days."

-Chris Squire
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2005 at 10:48
Well, VdGG did it after almost 28 years, and they had split completely. And may be the same realisation will dawn on Genesis as it did on VdGG, that they were "too often (meeting) at the funerals of former roadcrew members", to quote Guy Evans from the liner notes of VdGG's "Present".

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2005 at 15:13

Well, BaldFriede, VDGG has never split up completely, it was just Pete splitting up with Hugh - consider that Jaxon and Guy played on almost every Hammill solo album after VDGG disband.

I think that old Genesis rock theatre will not come back, even if they reunited. Besides, Phil and Peter are among the hottest popular music artists today - think of the battle of lawyers and managements!!

I think that the best we could get would be Steve reuniting with Mike and Tony and perhaps Phil on drums - add Fish on vocals and rejoice!!

The problem is not Phil's ego I think, but Pete's solo career. He's just achieved too much as a solo artist - he's an icon of avantgarde music and probably not considers himself coming back to his youth's music he thinks he grows out of.

But I will be glad if I were wrong.

Edited by RaphaelT
yet you still have time!
Pr@gmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2005 at 15:30

That's what I call good news.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12