Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Let's Talk About Talk Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2020 at 17:26
I know that Talk Talk is all about Mark Hollis, but has anyone heard the two Rustin Man albums?  They are new albums from bassist Paul Webb.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 10:56
Today, I 'ave  been mostly listening to Talk Talk - and Robin Trower. Smile

tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 13:44
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Today, I 'ave  been mostly listening to Talk Talk - and Robin Trower. Smile

Bridge of Sighs is one of the best albums all time. Wink A perennial top 10 Clap
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 14:05
^ Totally agree! I just finished listening to the last of Robin Trower's 33 albums today. I think his first five albums were the best of all, including Bridge of Sighs and the Live 1975 album, which I'm lucky enough to have in a 5-CD boxset for the bargain basement price of just £10. Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 05 2021 at 00:52
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 20:47
The Party's Over  *** 1/2
It's My Life  *** 1/2
The Colour of  Spring **** 1/2
Spirit of Eden *****
Laughing Stock *****
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 00:48
I finally got around to listening to all of Talk Talk's albums and rating them, with their debut album being my favourite. Thumbs Up

4 stars It's My Life (1984)
 3 stars Spirit of Eden (1988)
 2 stars Laughing Stock (1991)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 05 2021 at 00:49
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 02:32

I finally got around to listening to all of Talk Talk's albums and rating them, with their debut album being my favourite. Thumbs Up

3 stars for Spirit of Eden and 2 for Laughing Stock? I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
Probably the latter.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 02:51
^ Spirit of Eden is the only Talk Talk album I have in my CD collection, although it was too much of a radical departure for my tastes.  I'd prefer to have The Party's Over album instead, as I'm a Synth-Pop fan at heart. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 02:56
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

3 stars for Spirit of Eden and 2 for Laughing Stock? I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
Probably the latter.

don't mean to be rude, but I am not surprised. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 04:40
^ I bought Spirit of Eden from a charity shop for just £1 without having heard the album first. I won't say I was disappointed, but it definitely wasn't what I was expecting. Talk Talk must be one of the strangest inclusions in ProgArchives, although I'm not complaining. After all, I wouldn't mind if Depeche Mode, The Human League, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark and Ultravox were all included here too, or maybe they already are. Wink

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 05 2021 at 04:41
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 05:01

^ I bought Spirit of Eden from a charity shop for just £1 without having heard the album first. I won't say I was disappointed, but it definitely wasn't what I was expecting. Talk Talk must be one of the strangest inclusions in ProgArchives, although I'm not complaining. After all, I wouldn't mind if Depeche Mode, The Human League, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark and Ultravox were all included here too, or maybe they already are. Wink

Talk Talk are like two different bands with their early and later stuff - I once saw them supporting Duran Duran.

As for the others, I would say Ultravox might have some claims to being prog-related but to be honest the others don't. If Human League get in here then I'm off (and that's not because I don't like them).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 05:09
^ Talk Talk's last two albums don't sound like prog to me, but then again, neither does Kate Bush, David Bowie...... or Miles Davis. Smile
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 05:19

^ Talk Talk's last two albums don't sound like prog to me, but then again, neither does Kate Bush, David Bowie...... or Miles Davis. Smile

Bowie is prog-related.

I wouldn't call Miles Davis "prog rock" but he is here as a progressive jazz-fusion artist.

As much as I love KB, I wouldn't call her prog either but she is here mainly for The Ninth Wave which is about as prog as an artist like that can get. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 05:25

Talk talk are on PA mainly for those two albums you rated the lowest. LOL

I love Depeche Mode, but they got nothing to do with prog, although they successfully experimented with synths sounds throughout their career. 

The Human League on PA? Are you trying to be funny? 
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 05:31

It seems The Party's Over for the Christmas festivities this year, hopefully for the first and The Last Time,  but Life's What You Make It and Happiness is Easy to find inside the magical world of the Internet, although it sometimes seems like we're Living in Another World in this strange Chinese Year of the Plague. Anyway, without Another Word being said on that particular subject, it's back to the music, and this Time, It's Time to Give It Up for Talk Talk! Have You Heard the News? Their music is much more than just light-hearted Synth-Pop. It's So Serious, especially when you listen to the lyrics of their thought-provoking songs. Their Mirror Man single bears no relation to the Human League song of the same name.  it's Such a Shame that Talk Talk don't have a wider audience, although it's good to see they're still popular here Today on ProgArchives.  Even if you have no Desire to listen to Talk Talk's earlier albums and you generally Hate Synth-Pop, there's a Wealth of great music to explore in Talk Talk's five-album musical Inheritance. Check out their two superlative later Post Rock albums:  Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock. They're pure ear Candy! And finally, music means so much more to me than a simple song played on the radio. It's My Life!! Smile

All song titles in Red highlights by Talk Talk

Talk Talk's Albums

We have different tastes.

Spirit of Eden is in my top 25 prog albums of all times.

Laughing Stock is very good, and even Mark Hollis solo alubim.

"Happiness is real only when shared"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 05:41
^ It's good that we have different tastes. Life would be incredibly dull and boring if we all agreed on everything. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 05:45
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I love Depeche Mode, but they got nothing to do with prog, although they successfully experimented with synths sounds throughout their career. 

Don't worry. I wasn't calling for any of those Synth-Pop bands to be included on PA. I'm just saying I wouldn't complain if they were included here. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 07:19

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Don't worry. I wasn't calling for any of those Synth-Pop bands to be included on PA. I'm just saying I wouldn't complain if they were included here. Smile

why would they be included here? On what ground? 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 07:27
^ Pass. There's really no answer to that, other than to say:- Only on the grounds that Talk Talk are included here, although I know that's not a good enough reason for other Synth-Pop bands to be included here too, and it's probably not the answer you were looking for.  Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 10:45

^ Pass. There's really no answer to that, other than to say:- Only on the grounds that Talk Talk are included here, although I know that's not a good enough reason for other Synth-Pop bands to be included here too, and it's probably not the answer you were looking for.  Smile

Even the first two albums are not simply synth pop, they're more complex and better arranged, better musicianship than any synth pop band did at the time. At least i cannot think of any. 

Like I said, Talk Talk are especially here for their last two albums. 

Edited by Cristi - January 09 2021 at 03:58
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>