Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Should Gentle Giant have continued after Civilian?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Should Gentle Giant have continued after Civilian?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Should GG have continued after Civilian?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [26.09%]
18 [39.13%]
6 [13.04%]
6 [13.04%]
4 [8.70%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2020 at 14:32
I'm going to say no, because in an interview with Derek Shulman he pretty much made it clear that by the end their hearts weren't in it anymore, and it started to feel like a bit of a burden to the band. I'm happy with the jaw dropping discography we have, including civilian. I believe you can't force yourself to write music to cater the fans when you're checked out, cause it generally comes out the other end uninspired.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2020 at 14:27
Yes, but only if they returned to their original mission statement: "to expand the frontiers of popular music at the risk of being deeply unpopular"
Songs cast a light on you
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2020 at 14:23
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

I say maybe, but the decision was, and always will be, up to the band members.

Yep. I guess we could all be mad that the Beatles never really got back together either(well except for catcher anyway). Or Led Zeppelin for that matter(ok, they technically did but didn't record any new material after ITTOD). 
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2020 at 14:18
I say maybe, but the decision was, and always will be, up to the band members.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2020 at 13:55
^I think it had something to do with a combination of them not really being able to break through in a big way commercially plus the fact they didn't like the direction they were more or less forced to take because of record company pressures. I think they just got burned out and didn't want to keep going without any major payoffs from their musical compromise to a different sound. That's just my own speculation though. 
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2020 at 13:52
I wouldn't have minded it; Civilian is the one post-prog Gentle Giant album that I actually like and it would have been interesting to see the band continue in a similar direction. On the other hand, the band hated working on it and were apparently quite tired of the professional music business in general by 1980, so I can't blame them for calling it quits.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2020 at 13:48
I don't know, maybe.
TBH I do not know exactly why they called it quits in the early 80s. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2020 at 13:44
One of the great tragedies in prog imo is the fact that GG never really reformed properly when just about every other major prog band did. Opinions?

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 23 2020 at 13:56
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123