Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rolling Stone Top 500 All Time Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 09:58
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

(Representing artists with a sampler, I remember Abba but there were others, is quite ignorant though, and should be below the level of anyone who calls themselves a music expert.)

I have cand mag grade in musicology, and I admire Abba. To me they are the proof that pop doesn't necessarily have to be assembly line music. It is very well crafted, the compositions are great, the albums are very well produced, and the musicianship is superb. It is pop, yes, but it is good pop.

The issue, I believe, is not with Abba being present (it would hardly be a list of the Greatest Albums of All Time if Abba were not present), but rather because they are represented by a compilation album. This is, indeed, a strange thing to do. I could understand the inclusion of a compilation if it were something like Queen’s “Greatest Hits”, as that is a rather special case. But very few bands have just one compilation that is associated with them, such as that. Abba don’t, really, and if they did I would think it would be the more recent Abba Gold, rather than the album featured in the list.

I have very few issues overall with the list. I think it is far more diverse and inclusive than most lists of this type, covering huge ground in terms of both era and genre. It doesn’t have a huge percentage of albums from bands and artists outside the UK and US, but as it seems (to me) to be covering the most impactful and influential albums, rather than the best albums, then it doesn’t seem to be unduly ignoring music from outside the UK and US.

Unfortunately, it is “minor” details like the inclusion of a nondescript Abba compilation that do bring into question the overall list.

The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 10:05
Fair enough. My guess as to why they chose a compilation would be that Abba were essentially more of a singles band than an album band. The albums themselves are not necessarily cohesive, except perhaps Arrival.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 10:19

Fair enough. My guess as to why they chose a compilation would be that Abba were essentially more of a singles band than an album band. The albums themselves are not necessarily cohesive, except perhaps Arrival.

Well I suspect you are right, it kind of misses the point of being a list of the Greatest Albums. If you follow this line of view, then the list is sorely lacking in classical music. My feelings are that when it comes to classical music, the compositions generally regarded as the most influential and/or the greatest, existed in days before the album existed. There’s some discussion earlier on this post, regarding this and I definitely follow the view that if this were a list of the Greatest Compositions, then those classical composers would feature, but as it is a list of the Greatest Albums, they do not. By that same reasoning, if a band or artist were known more for their singles than their albums, and they had no album deemed good enough to appear in the list, then they should not appear in the list. The Abba compilation just feels out of place compared to the rest of the list.

Again, compare it with Queen’s Greatest Hits. The band had plenty of solid albums, but that one compilation is one the greatest selling complications ever. If someone says the words Queen Greatest Hits, most people can immediately envisage the cover. I bet even my mum and dad (who have no great interest in, or knowledge of, popular music) would recognise the cover of that album. Even though I would still not be convinced by its inclusion in any list of the Greatest Albums of All Time, I could understand how the compilers had come to that conclusion. The Abba compilation just seems lazy.

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 10:30
@The Anders: nick is right, I didn't want to complain about Abba being included, but rather about compilations being in that list. I'd understand "Top 500 All Time Albums" as albums with original material thoughtfully put together by the artists. If Abba are a singles band and they don't think any regular album would've been good enough, they shouldn't be there, but I certainly wouldn't have complained about, say, Arrival or The Album being there.  
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 10:46
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

the mere fact that there are only about 10 albums on the list that are not from the UK or the USA speaks volumes. total nitwits

Yes, and no. Playing Devil’s Advocate, if these are the Greatest Albums of all time as seen through a Western-centric lens, then there are relatively few albums outside the UK or US that would be recognised as deserving of a spot - depending on how you understand “greatest”.

Unlike lists in any given year, where people attempt to portray the “greatest” albums of the year, and generally mean the best in as objective manner as they can muster, lists of all time tend to mean “greatest” to mean those that had the most impact or influence. So where in any given year, I would expect to see a large amount of albums not from the UK or US, I don’t expect to see the same from lists of all time. For the simple reason that most (NB I said most!) innovations in Western music have come from either the UK or the US.

So, if I were making a list of the greatest albums of all time that represented what I think (trying to be objective) are the best of all time, then it would likely have far more albums NOT from the UK and the US, than from those two behemoths.

But, if I were making a list of the greatest albums of all time that represented what I think (again trying to be objective) are the most impactful and influential of all time, then it would likely have far more albums from the UK and the US, than not. 🤷🏻‍♂️

even being Western-centric there should be more albums from other countries. come on, no album representing Zeuhl? the German band Can were extremely influential on a lot of other artists; none from them on the list either

Read my initial post.....CAN is on the list at #454, Yes #445 and Rush #379, all non US bands. And as I stated Kanye did sample "Sing Swan Song" on one of his albums, CAN is very influential to many.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 10:59

I can’t be bothered with lists over many pages. I don’t have the patience to wait for them to load, and wade through them all, so I skipped to the last page (50-1) and right to number one.

I worked my way back from there, as far as number 20, and I honestly don’t see what the problem is? 🤷🏻‍♂️ It seems a pretty good list based on those 20. I’ve not heard them all, but I’ve heard of them all, and I can recognise their importance in musical history.

Lists will always be subjective, and this one seems a better one than most, with an obvious attempt to be more diverse and inclusive than many others I’ve come across. Given the source, Rolling Stone, that’s even more impressive. That magazine is hardly a cornerstone of diversity and inclusivity, after all. I imagine this list may enrage its own readership as much as it seems to have riled some of you.

I’ve even less concern about the list of voters, which is again a diverse and inclusive pool.

Admittedly, I’ve not pursued the entire list. So yeah, perhaps it is still too Western-centric.  But from the small portion I did look at, it seems a “better” list than many I’ve seen (even though I might agree with some of those other lists more).

You listen to prog music and you don't have time to wait......WTF!!!!! LOL It took me maybe 20 minutes to go thru all the pages.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 11:37

I am perfectly fine with the list containing a lot of hiphop. After all, the genre has had an enormous influence within the last two decades, so it would be strange if it wasn't there. And once again, the number of rock albums is twice as big as the number of hiphop albums, at least in the top 50. The issue I have with the list is more the lack of general diversity, with regards to other types of music.

Hiphop is not my favourite genre either. There's a lot of stuff that I don't like personally, but at least I can acknowlege its artistic impact. When I do like hiphop, we're mostly speaking of the more experimental artists within the genre, and belive me, they do exist. The tough guy attitudes and misogynism present in a lot of hiphop puts me off personally, but hey, what about the Rolling Stones?... "Look at that stupid girl"... Or what about several hard rock anthems. Not to mention the famous lifestyle with groupies and all that... But just like in rock, not all hiphop is like that.

Not all rock music is equallly great either. I don't personally have high thoughts on the artistic value of Bon Jovi, Europe, Boston or Kiss. But what happened after the 60's was that rock was made the all-dominating totem post that everything else was alligned too. Today, rock is a genre along with other genres, and to be honest, I think that's fine. Why does rock have to dominate? The times they are a-changing...

Also, I think it's nonsense to say that rock is dead. As long as people are still making original and artistically significant rock music, the genre will stay alive. It may not be the musical mainstream anymore, but that doesn't mean it's not there. I think a band like Pom Poko is a very good example of contemporary rock music that is original. Or Idles who really have something to say about the times we are living in. If the definition of being alive was being in the mainstream, then jazz would be dead many years ago, but there are still people making significant jazz music.

It is true that there is a lot of junk out there with little to no artistic content, but imo. I think it is wrong to make it a question of genres. All genres can produce great music if you make an effort and take them seriously.
Good post.....I mentioned hip-hop/rap being on the list a lot because that has become a major genre that is massively popular. That genre is mainly about the lyrics and not the music, heck its all sampled, click tracks and electronic with little use of analog instruments. The early rap had actual music but it is always about the lyrics and the message......Those messages can get over played/hyped and you become desensitized with all of it, that's my big problem with rap.

I grew up with Funk and R&B, I've said that 100s of times here on PA and that music led me to progressive rock, so its easy for me to understand why so much music we here listen to is not represented as well understand why it has musical value from a "All Time" view. But my subjective mind will always ask why not more diverse and include more CAN, Scorpions, Iron Maiden, Earth, Wind & Fire, Commodores, Isley Bros, Classical music as well Country.
EW&F has one, ONE album listed and its not even their most influential, That's The Way Of the World is a soundtrack to a failed movie in the late 70s, it spawned 2 massive hits in the title track which has become EW&F anthem as well Shinning Star. But I promise you pretty much every R&B, Hip Hop/Rap artist will give huge credit to EW&F music as inspiration and influence to what they do now. The album All n All is a more fitting one as well list should include 2-3 others.

We as progressive rock music fans have the most open mind of all fans, yes?? So I would hope the list would open your minds to some of this music, which is not foreign unlike prog, and do some exploration to see what is up, there is a lot of non rap/hip hop stuff that I am sure many here have not heard or know. Vanilla pop music, plain jane rock music and such.

Like I said I don't have much if any issue with the list, me personally I would love to see what the voters chose.
ANY music list is predictable, we can't argue that..........
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 12:12
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I mentioned hip-hop/rap being on the list a lot because that has become a major genre that is massively popular. That genre is mainly about the lyrics and not the music, heck its all sampled, click tracks and electronic with little use of analog instruments. The early rap had actual music but it is always about the lyrics and the message......Those messages can get over played/hyped and you become desensitized with all of it, that's my big problem with rap

I am absolutely not having a go at you here, because you have stated that you have an open mind, and I see in the rest of your words no reason to doubt it. But some of your pre-conceptions about hip hop need addressing, in my opinion. I’m by no means a great hip hop fan, and there’s far that I don’t like than I do, but I can’t help but be a little annoyed by your dismissal of hip hop not being about the music.

For a start, hip hop is more of a culture than a genre, and in a sense you would be right about it not being about music, but you would be as equally wrong about it being mainly about lyrics. The four corners (as they are often known) of hip hop culture are MC’ing (the rapping), DJ’ing, breaking (or breakdancing) and graffiti. Obviously only two of those are about music, and only one of those is about lyrics.

Furthermore, while sampling occurs, it’s far less frequent than you might expect once you move beyond the chart hits. Sampling tends to sparse, or non-existent, or used in quite interesting and unexpected ways. And definitely plenty of hip hop artists use instruments or are part of bands. Some might not consistently use bands, and may use different musicians for different tracks, but there often is music played by instruments.

A lot of hip hop artists come from or have become part of the jazz scene, and it makes a lot of sense to me - as jazz and the music of hip hop have been constantly progressing and evolving, and often in the most innovative and experimental ways (hence why Steven Wilson made the claim that hip hop was the main area where music is still progressing, much to the chagrin of many of his less open-minded fans).

Here’s a full on jazz hip hop album. Obviously if you don’t like jazz or hip hop, then you won’t like this. But this is one of my favourite albums from recent years.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 12:48

I mentioned hip-hop/rap being on the list a lot because that has become a major genre that is massively popular. That genre is mainly about the lyrics and not the music, heck its all sampled, click tracks and electronic with little use of analog instruments. The early rap had actual music but it is always about the lyrics and the message......Those messages can get over played/hyped and you become desensitized with all of it, that's my big problem with rap

I am absolutely not having a go at you here, because you have stated that you have an open mind, and I see in the rest of your words no reason to doubt it. But some of your pre-conceptions about hip hop need addressing, in my opinion. I’m by no means a great hip hop fan, and there’s far that I don’t like than I do, but I can’t help but be a little annoyed by your dismissal of hip hop not being about the music.

For a start, hip hop is more of a culture than a genre, and in a sense you would be right about it not being about music, but you would be as equally wrong about it being mainly about lyrics. The four corners (as they are often known) of hip hop culture are MC’ing (the rapping), DJ’ing, breaking (or breakdancing) and graffiti. Obviously only two of those are about music, and only one of those is about lyrics.

Furthermore, while sampling occurs, it’s far less frequent than you might expect once you move beyond the chart hits. Sampling tends to sparse, or non-existent, or used in quite interesting and unexpected ways. And definitely plenty of hip hop artists use instruments or are part of bands. Some might not consistently use bands, and may use different musicians for different tracks, but there often is music played by instruments.

A lot of hip hop artists come from or have become part of the jazz scene, and it makes a lot of sense to me - as jazz and the music of hip hop have been constantly progressing and evolving, and often in the most innovative and experimental ways (hence why Steven Wilson made the claim that hip hop was the main area where music is still progressing, much to the chagrin of many of his less open-minded fans).

Here’s a full on jazz hip hop album. Obviously if you don’t like jazz or hip hop, then you won’t like this. But this is one of my favourite albums from recent years.

BTW, I am and have been a huge jazz fan for most of my musical life. Keep in mind, once someone tells you they grew up on Funk and R&B, there is very good chance they are also a jazz fan. My record collection speaks volumes on jazz for me.....Clearly you have not been over to the Vinyl thread and seen my posts.

I don't know how old you are but I mentioned I am a fan of old school/the original rap from the late 70's......I was fully onboard with rap by Grandmaster Flash/Furious 5/Sugarhill Gang and others. 

I grew up in So Cal, so my friend....I WAS THERE!! East LA, Watts we hung out in a lot of those places and listened to all that which was new coming out, I'm not white I'm Hispanic. Still dangerous times but was easier for me to blend, I lived in a very ethnic neighborhood, kids got shot walking to school by rival gangs, let alone jumped (if u know what that means). 
Back then all those lyrics spoke volumes and the music was great that accompanied the rap style. I had 2 white friends, the balance were Hispanic, Asian and Black we all grew up together playing baseball and football.......Please don't try to school me, your being pretentious (which I can ignore and will).

Carry on....
Happy New Year!

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 13:00

[CUT] 

BTW, I am and have been a huge jazz fan for most of my musical life. Keep in mind, once someone tells you they grew up on Funk and R&B, there is very good chance they are also a jazz fan. My record collection speaks volumes on jazz for me.....Clearly you have not been over to the Vinyl thread and seen my posts.

I don't know how old you are but I mentioned I am a fan of old school/the original rap from the late 70's......I was fully onboard with rap by Grandmaster Flash/Furious 5/Sugarhill Gang and others. 

I grew up in So Cal, so my friend....I WAS THERE!! East LA, Watts we hung out in a lot of those places and listened to all that which was new coming out, I'm not white I'm Hispanic. Still dangerous times but was easier for me to blend, I lived in a very ethnic neighborhood, kids got shot walking to school by rival gangs, let alone jumped (if u know what that means). 
Back then all those lyrics spoke volumes and the music was great that accompanied the rap style. I had 2 white friends, the balance were Hispanic, Asian and Black we all grew up together playing baseball and football.......Please don't try to school me, your being pretentious (which I can ignore and will).

Carry on....
Happy New Year!

Honestly, I wasn’t trying to be pretentious, and as pretentious as I may have sounded to you, you sounded to me with your suggestion that hip hop was mainly about lyrics. When it comes to MC’ing, obviously lyrics are important - but MC’ing is just one part of hip hop culture.

I’m not trying to school you, and that’s specifically why I began my post by ensuring you knew I wasn’t having a go at you. In a similar fashion, the album I posted was not directed at you, particularly either, so much as anyone who doesn’t get that hip hop is more than just rapping and samples.

As far as I’m concerned, everything I said was fact. You’ve not refuted it, so I assume you’re agreeing with it. So we’re cool. As you say, carry on....

[Edited because I originally posted one-handed while attempting - and failing - to take a child to bed.]

Edited by nick_h_nz - December 31 2020 at 13:23
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 16:10

Good post.....I mentioned hip-hop/rap being on the list a lot because that has become a major genre that is massively popular. That genre is mainly about the lyrics and not the music, heck its all sampled, click tracks and electronic with little use of analog instruments. The early rap had actual music but it is always about the lyrics and the message......Those messages can get over played/hyped and you become desensitized with all of it, that's my big problem with rap.

I think it depends. Most of the music in rap is of course electronic, but so is a lot of other music. I personally enjoy a lot of fully electronic music, especially within the more experimental corners. And after all many rap artists have been inspired by Kraftwerk and things like that.

I wouldn't say rap is all about the lyrics. They clearly have more a prominent place in rap than in most rock music, but there is also a lot of musicality in the way the words are delivered: there's rhythm, vocal phrasing, interplay with the music and so on. I mean, otherwise they might as well just narrate the whole text (then it would be spoken word).

If you take the track below - which is by one of the rap groups I actually enjoy listening to, the Danish band Malk de Koijn - I think it is clear that there is a lot of thought about the vocal delivery, the phrasings, the way the rapping counterpoints the beat. The vocal rhythm is clearly very elaborate. The music is very simple of course, but it takes a musical talent to create the right simplicity that actually works. And yet, despite the simplicity, you have small details in the music that make a difference, such as small unexpected breaks at crucial points - "drum" notes that don't come on the usual beat and so on.

Edited by The Anders - December 31 2020 at 16:13
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 17:09
^ Your not gonna get much feedback on this site with posting a rap song. Again, I know more than enough about what goes into composing arranging the words for a rap song. I agree with you it’s a lot more involved than many think.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 17:11
All I know is that hell has officially frozen over because a Yes album actually made the list(close to the edge at number 445). 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 17:36
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

All I know is that hell has officially frozen over because a Yes album actually made the list(close to the edge at number 445). 

LOL....Well Wakeman was one of the voters, sooooo LOL

I'm still giddy that CAN made the list

Edited by Catcher10 - December 31 2020 at 17:37
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 18:07

^ Your not gonna get much feedback on this site with posting a rap song.

Maybe I will get more feedback posting a song like this? http://youtube.com/watch?v=fwvGrSvk0zs
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 18:22

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

LOL....Well Wakeman was one of the voters, sooooo LOL

I'm still giddy that CAN made the list

The caped crusader was a voter? Wow. Yeah, that explains it. LOL If Eddie Offord was a voter no Yes would make the list. Maybe ELP though.Tongue
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 01:18

^ Your not gonna get much feedback on this site with posting a rap song. Again, I know more than enough about what goes into composing arranging the words for a rap song. I agree with you it’s a lot more involved than many think.

On the subject of Rap, I think Pigmeat Markham's "Here Comes the Judge" (1968) was the first Rap song, but who cares anyway. I'll spare you all by not posting the video. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 06:25
I kinda hear rap in some Dylan songs, f.e. "It's Alright Ma, I'm Only Bleeding".
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 08:14
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

On the subject of Rap, I think Pigmeat Markham's "Here Comes the Judge" (1968) was the first Rap song, but who cares anyway. I'll spare you all by not posting the video. Smile
No, that would be this song from 1965. Complete with beat poet Alan Ginsberg loitering in the background...

Edited by The Dark Elf - January 01 2021 at 08:17
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 08:25

Totally agree, some rap may be heavily lyrical/rhythm based, but I think the best stuff of the genre hits a perfect sweet spot between the instrumentals/beats/lyricism/melody etc. I'm more of a Hip Hop casual too, but listening to artists like Kendrick Lamar, Tyler the Creator, MF Doom, etc, the Instrumentals grab me just as much as the words coming out of their mouths do.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>