Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do you listen more to recently discovered music?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do you listen more to recently discovered music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you listen more to recently discovered music?
    Posted: January 11 2021 at 13:40
If you were to put a percentage of your listening time, how much of it is playing music you discovered or first heard and noticed in the last 12 months?

I don’t assume anyone has data here, but take a guess.

Your music library can consist of everyrhing from the first music in your life you became a fan of to what you discovered today and everything between.

By «recently discovered» I don’t mean recently released. If you found something from 1964 today, it counts the same as something from 2021.

For myself, I find that I most of the time listen to recently discovered music. Not that I get bored of the music I’ve heard a lot, but there is so much music being made every year and I often find old stuff that is new and exciting. Maybe 60-70% of the time I listen to music that is new to me (last 12 months).
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2021 at 13:54
I'm about the same. 60 to 70% newly discovered music from whatever era I discovered it. I'm buying a bunch of albums every year and need to give them sufficient time. I struggle to find sufficient time for the existing collection.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2021 at 14:09
According to  Last.fm I listened to 45% new albums and 34% new artists during 2020.  In 2019, it was 42% and 36%, respectively.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2021 at 15:49
I only listen to music from 2112....
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2021 at 16:08
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I prefer 1984..... by Rick Wakeman. Smile
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2021 at 17:29
I'm the same as you Zeph. I do listen to old favourites, but I'm always trying to find new music (don't care about the decade it was made in, only that I like it) to enjoy.

Thanks to this site, I keep finding new stuff all the time.
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2021 at 17:35
I'm sure it's obvious to most but "new" music can mean two different things:

Music you never heard before and so could still be older stuff(70's,80's, 90's, 2000's, etc)

Or music from the past three months(or whatever could be consideredly literally "new")

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 11 2021 at 17:37
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 00:05
I find I can only listen to new music once. 

But seriously. A lot of my listening gets taken up with band submission evals. Not sure what the percentage is, but it is significant. Combined with recent discoveries I listen to on purpose, that number becomes substantial. 

Edited by Tapfret - January 12 2021 at 00:09
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 00:32
If by new we mean stuff I haven't heard before, I'd say that comprises about 60%-70% of my listening.

If by new we mean modern, almost none LOL.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 01:30
Prior to last year, I think I would have said the same: 60-70% new (to me) music.

Last year, as my first reviewing for TPA, it was probably more like 90% and, furthermore, unlike previous years new to me wasn’t from any year, but pretty much solely 2020 new.

It’s been an enjoyable year, and I’ve listened to more new, new music than ever before in my life, but it’s not something I’m sure I would like to do indefinitely. There’s so much music I love that it sometimes feels like I’m in constant pursuit of the new, without taking time to appreciate the old favourites.

Every few years or so, I get the idea in my head that I am not going to listen to any more new music. It’s a sensible decision, and my wife would surely love it if I could follow through on it. I have more than enough music in my collection, that I really don’t need anymore, and I barely have time to listen to it all as it is. (In fact, I know it will have been years since I’ve listened to some of the albums in my collection, so it’s probably more correct to say I don’t have time to listen to it all as it is.)

However, with all the best intentions in the world, I think I am an addict, and rehab never really takes. I always end up back listening to new music. I’m actually quite jealous of people who have somehow closed their minds to new music, and are quite happy to stay in their small comfort zone. For a start, the amount of money I’d have saved would be huge. I sometimes look at my collection (which will not even be large, compared to many of you guys), and think of how much money I must have spent to accumulate it. And I barely even listen to a lot of it, because I’m off chasing the next new sound....

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 01:40
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I'm about the same. 60 to 70% newly discovered music from whatever era I discovered it. I'm buying a bunch of albums every year and need to give them sufficient time. I struggle to find sufficient time for the existing collection.

Yup, dedicating much of my listening time to my recent acquisitions (no matter from what year release), and not spending much time with my classic albums (rarely get the itch to listen to them anymore).

Unfortunately once I've played a recent acquisition enough to be familiar with it, I tend to relegate it to the unplayed albums for a few years, like all too many other albums.EmbarrassedOuch
Simple lack of time.Cry

I will need a strong deadwood cutting session in the next year or so. I have too many discs I never listen to anymore... and probably won't again until that "sprucing" session.

Edited by Sean Trane - January 12 2021 at 01:41
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Homotopy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homotopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 03:13
Last.fm says I have 70% new tracks this year and 76% last year (and probably over 80% in 2018). In listening time I feel it would be similar.

Edited by Homotopy - January 12 2021 at 03:20
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 04:58
When I'm working I'm listening to a Spotify Daily Mix (it offers me 6 from different genres) which is probably 50/50 new and existing. Made some great new discoveries through it!
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 05:02
I never actually sat down and figured out the percentages, but a wild guess would be about 75% is new stuff. 
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 05:31
Maybe it's me but this question seems a little misleading.

Since I'm always "searching" for new music to pique my interest the % might seem high (75-80%)
But most times after one listening I move one. So the "enduring" music that I listen to becomes the higher percentage and it most definitely falls far outside the last 12 months, maybe even the last 12 years.

Maybe a better way of stating the question would be how much of the music you've "discovered" in the last 12 months will endure in your listening vs music from beyond that time frame.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerLJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 08:15
My passion is finding amazing music I've never heard before.
My sorrow is I do not have enough time to listen to what I have already found.
Easily 60-70% for me as well.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 08:36
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I prefer 1984..... by Rick Wakeman. Smile

Hi,

I'll take 1984 by Anthony Phillips! Thank you!

BTW, if I had any idea which time and place the music I listen to is from, I likely would not be here, or listening to anything at all ... so there is no music from the 1600's and the 1700's for you to find and "DISCOVER"?

If you say no, then you are not listening to music at all !!!!! 

Edited by moshkito - January 12 2021 at 08:38
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 10:11
I think I am quite balanced.
At home I listen to more new music, but in the car I have a pen drive with a lot of music where I only load albums that have passed the test of time, I have it permanently on shuffle mode, so in the car I only listen to music that has endured.

In total perhaps 40% new and 60% "old".

miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 14:27
80% New

20% Old

100% Prog
The Prog Corner
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 19:47
This last decade I have been trying to keep up with a bit of new music (though this very last year I didn't keep up very well at all). Yet, even though I have found some great music doing so, once I found what I liked and bought it, and added it to my playlists and everything, when I'm looking for something to listen to out of the stuff I already know and love, I usually end up going for the older stuff I have known for a longer time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>