6 [15.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 15:18
Yeah, I was really trying to keep it only to albums I had and loved in 1986 (when I would have been 10, turning 11).

When the Wind Blows was a favourite book of mine, and the film was amazing. Plus it had a Bowie song on the soundtrack. What more could I want?

In fact, the reason I owned three of those soundtracks (Transformers being the odd one out) was because of the Bowie songs on them.

Icehouse had some great songs. Iva Davies was (is?) a wonderful composer, who I think was often underrated and overlooked even in his own country. Their greatest success was probably their next album after 1986, Man of Colours. Easily my favourite Icehouse album, too, and (if I attempt objectivity) their best - so completely, and finally, deserving of the chart success it had.

I really love Sting’s album here, even though I’m not really a fan of any of his solo material at all. I bought it for the Police songs on it, I guess, or maybe it was just cheap somewhere. It’s years ago, so I can’t really remember why I bought it, but whatever the reason, the end result was an album that was surprisingly enjoyable, and quite different from what I would have been expecting.

These were all cassettes I owned in 1986, but over the years the ones I still enjoy I’ve bought on cd as well. Of the 19 listed, I have 9 on cd.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 15:02
I almost went with the When the Wind Blows soundtrack, which I can’t extricate from the film in my mind, which genuinely made me weep, but that The Smiths album is great.   Nice reminder with Icehouse. I had really liked the debut album, especially the song Icehouse, which I first heard while when in Australia in 1989 and still have on my favourite mixtape. And I watched Layrinth again recently (fun film if not up to The Dark Crystal for me).

Favourite today from 1986 might be News Frm Babel’s Letters Home, but I certainly did not know that before the 2000s.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 12:48
The Smiths - The Queen is Dead of course
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 11:16
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Number one fan? I love the way you find a way to post about BD!
It’s almost like Paul and his love for classic English prog! 😄

Jean and I are definitely huge fans of her and have been at many of her concerts. The latest took place just a bit more than about four months ago. But we are not the only ones here. Rogerthat and Verslibre for example are big fans of her too.

Edited by BaldFriede - January 17 2021 at 11:26

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 11:07
Number one fan? I love the way you find a way to post about BD!
It’s almost like Paul and his love for classic English prog! 😄

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 11:03
1986 at least gave us this live album:

With tracks like this:

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 11:00
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Yeah, I definitely don’t expect (m)any people to like (m)any of these. I’m kind of surprised by how many people have voted, actually - though I suspect it’s generally for the least of several horrendous evils. 😄

Be that as it may, putting this in the "topics not related to music" area is still a bit harsh.

Perhaps. But hey, at least I shouldn’t offend those who think that the albums listed aren’t music! 🤪

I owned them all on cassette, and even if I’ve not upgraded them all to CD, I still like them all, and could listen to any of them quite happily.

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 10:16

Yeah, I definitely don’t expect (m)any people to like (m)any of these. I’m kind of surprised by how many people have voted, actually - though I suspect it’s generally for the least of several horrendous evils. 😄

Be that as it may, putting this in the "topics not related to music" area is still a bit harsh.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 09:03

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 08:58
A bit like being left with the half empty bottom row in the cacao vegan box of chocolates: chose the Smiths The Queen Is Dead as it's the only album on the list I own and they're clearly slumming it in this company.

Edited by ExittheLemming - January 17 2021 at 09:01
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 08:54
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Hey, a poll that reminds us how 1986 sucked. I'll choose Peter Gabriel's So.
You’ll have to go to A Crimson Mellotron’s poll to do that. It’s not here (as per the opening post).
You’re such a bunch of laughs, aren’t you?

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 08:19
Hey, a poll that reminds us how 1986 sucked. I'll choose Peter Gabriel's So.

Edited by The Dark Elf - January 17 2021 at 08:20
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 07:43
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

A bit of a nostalgia trip here, so with that in mind I give a hug to Duran Duran. Approve

Notorious is a good album. They went downhill hard after that, at least for me. A rare good song here and there. 

For me, I really like where they went from here. Notorious was Warren Cuccurullo’s introduction to the band, and because of this, he had no real input into it. His part in the group becomes more noticeable from the following album on. I love what he brought to the group, and the following album is probably my all-time favourite DD album.

A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 07:30
Another 1986 poll! I don't know any of these, so no vote from me.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 07:09
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

The Final Countdown all the way. It clearly gave shape to my musical tastes in music. Once a masterpiece, always a masterpiece!!!
QUoted for truth.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 07:04
Another one of these seemingly random polls that one closer inspection has one album head and shoulders above the others, and this time it is...
Sting!

Edited by Lewian - January 17 2021 at 07:04
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 06:35
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

A bit of a nostalgia trip here, so with that in mind I give a hug to Duran Duran. Approve

Notorious is a good album. They went downhill hard after that, at least for me. A rare good song here and there. 
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 06:31

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 06:29
The Final Countdown all the way. It clearly gave shape to my musical tastes in music. Once a masterpiece, always a masterpiece!!!
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 06:29
^ The only Sophisti-Pop album in the poll is Spandau Ballet's Through the Barricades, and no, I haven't heard the album. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>