Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Planets of the Apes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which of these worlds rocks your world the most?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [27.78%]
0 [0.00%]
9 [50.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [11.11%]
1 [5.56%]
1 [5.56%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 10:58
Rings of Saturn are an extreme metal band from California featuring extreme levels of ear torturing screaming vocals that prominently feature in this genre of music.  For them, I have chosen this djent instrumental from their most recent release Gidim from 2019.  The instrumental is also called Gidim and was released on Nuclear Blast.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 11:03
Jean Louis are kind of a cheat band for this poll, but there don't appear to be any bands with Uranus in their names here on PA, so instead I went with Jean Louis, whose third album was titled Uranus.  They are an avant trio from France featuring trumpet, bass, and drums.  For them I have chosen the song Uranus from Uranus, just because it felt appropriate for the poll.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 11:05
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Earth & Fire - the only band I know in the poll. Embarrassed

That's one more than me.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 11:10
Silas Neptune is a band sure to appeal to fans of the Ozric Tentacles as it is the side project of Silas Wynne, and includes appearances from other OT band members including Ed Wynne.  For them, I have included The Feathers of Ma'at the lead song off of their sole album from 2017 The Scales of Tahuti.

Edited by rushfan4 - January 17 2021 at 11:11
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 11:18
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

The Mercury Tree, one of the best albums of 2019 was "Spidermilk".  Microtonal music rocks.  If you like that type of music, check out Cryptic Ruse as the lead singer for The Mercury Tree sings on a couple of the tracks, but it is also microtonal and was added into the Archives last year.  The new Cryptic Ruse album is on my AOTY for 2020.

I also love The Mars Volta, and it would have been difficult which one to choose, but I would still have gone for The Mercury Tree.

Oh yeah, forgot about that one. It's in my list of Bandcamp things to buy. Thanks for reminding me! Thumbs Up
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 11:19
Lastly, although Pluto is technically no longer a planet, it was a planet back in Prog's heyday, so included is Pluto, a solo project from Norway of Petter Espen Guthe, who also participated in Pluto and the Planets.  They are listed here at PA under Crossover prog.  I have included here, the song The Dreamer from 1980 debut album Voyage Into A Dreamer's Mind.  

Edited by rushfan4 - January 17 2021 at 11:20
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 13:02
Woot woot gotta say that this list, I don’t know any of them
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 13:05
Further to my previous post, I have listened to six of the nine listed here, but I have to admit, I took into account any bands I knew who had the planets in their name. So I included The Mars Volta in my thought process, even though they were not listed. Jupiter seemed to me to be the only planet that I owned three different bands from (without going to my collection to check, as my collection is large enough that some things inevitably slip my mind).

Just wondering if anyone else voted in this way? Or did you all just vote based on the bands listed? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Yeah, I though so....just me! 🤪🤪🤪

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 14:31
My favourites of the three I knew (Mercury Rev not as well) are Jean Louis and Earth & Fire. I am going with the latter specifically for this, which is one of my favourites pieces of music:

Just a fanboy passin' through.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 14:48
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Mars Hollow are mostly forgotten these days. They put out two albums about ten to twelve years ago then broke up never to reform. Some members went on to form Heliopolis. Anyway, if you said the Mars Volta they would probably get a lot of votes. 
As mentioned by AFlowerKingCrimon, they are a crossover prog band from the US who released a couple of albums on the 10T record label.

This song, Midnight, is from their 2010 debut album.

Yep. I only have the first album and should probably play it again. Crossover? Well, they are sort of similar to Spock's Beard I guess so if SB are crossover then that fits MH as well. They do have strong elements of symph prog imo(Yes, Genesis, Camel and a bit of ELP).
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 23:50
Rings of Saturn simply because nobody else on PA is going to vote for that band, EVER, and Lucas Mann is a stand up professional guy!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 06:06
Mercury Tree for me.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 07:05
the name "Venus in Fear" does in my opinion have nothing at all to do with the planet venus. it is an allusion to the famous novel "Venus im Pelz" ("Venus in Furs") by Leopold von Sacher-Masoch. the novel is about a man who voluntarily becomes the slave of a dominant woman who for him incorporates the Goddess Venus. this novel is where the word "masochism" comes from

Edited by BaldJean - January 18 2021 at 07:07

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 13:52
  I found this avant gem from 2020 that could have stood in for Neptune.  The band is Neptunian Maximalism.  
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 15:44
Not listed here in PA, but included in Prog Magazine and on a recent Prog magazine sampler we have Last Flight to Pluto.

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 14:52
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

<snip video> I found this avant gem from 2020 that could have stood in for Neptune.  The band is Neptunian Maximalism.  

This sounds quite good! From your list I know Earth & Fire, of course, and I heard some of Mercury Tree and Mars Hollow, but I'm not familiar with the others... Not eager to get familiar with the metally things, but some of the others intrigue me... Will explore more before eventually voting.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12