Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What not prog band would've made the best prog?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What not prog band would've made the best prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 19:42
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Definitely Big Country...a brilliant band...some of their longer songs and especially the 12" singles were very prog leaning. BC comprised four extra-special musicians.

on a related subject, perhaps Runrig?
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 23:16
Forgot......Living Colour...magnificent band who could easily release a prog album. In fact, they already have a number of tracks on previous albums that would fit the prog category.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 23:42

Forgot......Living Colour...magnificent band who could easily release a prog album. In fact, they already have a number of tracks on previous albums that would fit the prog category.

I'm not sure if I agree with this even though the guitarist Vernon Reid has acknowledged Robert Fripp as an influence. I do hear some eclecticism in their music but not any more than say the Red Hot Chilipeppers or Pearl Jam.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 23 2021 at 00:08
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 23:57

I absolutely agree with you, and I know quite a few people who consider them prog. It all depends on where you set your boundaries. There is no black and white between what is or is not prog, so much as a massive grey area. It’s all subjective.

One of thre prog groups I follow on FB has posted about Living Colour before, I’m sure you can imagine what the comment section looked like, but for all the offended progheads that couldn’t accept LC as having prog aspects, there were a surprising number of people willing to agree.

And, harking back to my earlier post, while I have never seen Duran Duran, per se, posted on a prog group, I have seen Arcadia posted (which is more or less DD in different clothes).

What is or isn’t prog will always cause debate, but I think anything that is being debated must have the capacity to be a full-on prog band, even if we acknowledge they are borderline at best.

Hence why, for me, a lot of the bands mentioned here are predictable nominees. They are the bands that have always flirted with prog, and are recognised for doing so. I admit I’ve been trying to find the less predictable bands, when I make my suggestions,

I’ve thought of another band to add to the two I suggested in my last post (Bad Religion and Duran Duran). Suede. Albums like Dog Man Star, and their most recent teo, Night Thoughts and The Blue Hour, definitely show the potential for a great prog band, in my opinion,

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 00:03
^ Living Colour should be in prog-related, should not bother anyone. Stern Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 19:24
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I'm not sure if I agree with this even though the guitarist Vernon Reid has acknowledged Robert Fripp as an influence. I do hear some eclecticism in their music but not any more than say the Red Hot Chilipeppers or Pearl Jam.

The question was "what non prog band would've made the best prog?".

So Living Colour (i.e. non prog band) to me could have released a prog album...no problem.

Especially if they had tracks of the calibre of below...This Is The Life....don't tell me this is not prog:

Edited by BarryGlibb - January 23 2021 at 19:38
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 19:33
^OK, I won't tell you that's not prog. Wink

Anyway, just because a band has one or two prog or proggish tracks here and there it doesn't mean they are prog or even could be prog. Or maybe it does. What matters is what they have done. If you like it then that should be good enough for you. 

Anyway, not everyone agrees on what is or what is not prog so we all have to accept that. I've had people try to tell me that Styx and the Fixx(not the same person)were prog. Sometimes I think people just call music they like prog. It's almost as if the music has to be prog in order for them to like it. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 23 2021 at 19:37
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 19:44

Anyway, just because a band has one or two prog or proggish tracks here and there it doesn't mean they are prog or even could be prog. Or maybe it does. What matters is what they have done. If you like it then that should be good enough for you. 

Anyway, not everyone agrees on what is or what is not prog so we all have to accept that. I've had people try to tell me that Styx and the Fixx(not the same person)were prog. Sometimes I think people just call music they like prog. It's almost as if the music has to be prog in order for them to like it. 

No problem at all. I was just answering the question that was posed and I firmly believe LC could release a really good, fully-fledged prog album if they felt so inclined; not that they are prog nor should be put in any of the prog categories on PA...though I would love them just to be here in prog-related.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2021 at 02:51
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Not sure they done anything strictly speaking prog rock, but XTC or Talk Talk would have been good prog peddlers.

To an extension, we should look at the prog-related section of the DB to find the best examples of answers to the OP's question.

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

The Allman Brothers and Grateful Dead certainly had proggy moments.

especially in their jam things for tboth bands, but Terrapoin Station alone could earn The Dead at spot in the prog-related

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

^ Living Colour should be in prog-related, should not bother anyone. Stern Smile

wouldn't this open the door for RHCP and, even stretching it a little, RATM? Stern Smile

I like all three bands, BTW

well I'd tend to agree more with Glibb's suggestion of LC, especially when looking at your suggestions in the previous page (see below)

A few more: Men at Work, REM, The Cure, U2, Tears For Fears and the Fixx. A lot of eighties bands were just around in the "wrong decade" imo. Also, A Flock of Seagulls who had a track on their 1982 album which has a melody that more or less ripped off "the revealing science of god." Just try to tell me some of those new wavers weren't at least at little bit influenced by or inspired by prog. I dare you. TongueLOL

I guess you could even suggest that PIL could be prog-related because of one or two tracks.TongueWink

FTM, citing Neil Young, because of Cortez The Killer or Hurricane, would even make sense or Crosby's If Only I could Remember My Name could also entitle him to a spot in PA's Prog-related.

But I'm not sure that "being around in the wrong decade" is a valid argument, though: Split Enz was making prog albums in the 70's and were total unknown but broke big with the electro-pop new wave in the 80's

Edited by Sean Trane - January 24 2021 at 03:07
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2021 at 03:06
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

wouldn't this open the door for RHCP and, even stretching it a little, RATM? Stern Smile

I don't think so. 
Why RATM? 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2021 at 12:16

No problem at all. I was just answering the question that was posed and I firmly believe LC could release a really good, fully-fledged prog album if they felt so inclined; not that they are prog nor should be put in any of the prog categories on PA...though I would love them just to be here in prog-related.

Hey, I think Stevie Wonder could have done a full on prog album. I'm sure there's lots of artists who could have if they wanted to. Of course some might be better at it then others. I don't really disagree with LC. Knowing who Fripp is and liking his playing is certainly a step in the right direction. Wink
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2021 at 13:49
Judas Priest.  Halford has a similar voice to Hammill and their first two albums flirted with prog.

Boston - classic rock/AOR sound with some prog leanings.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2021 at 14:01
Wire.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2021 at 11:30
One of the most progressive rock bands to exist is the good ol' Grateful Dead - pioneers in psychedelic music; space rock; prog folk; electronic prog; experimental music; jazz fusion; huge influence on Krautrock.....this eclectic band even dabbled in symphonic prog, yet there's still not a spot for them at PA.  

The premier American progressive rock band isn't on PA?  Sad.  Bigly sad.  
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2021 at 14:34
The Beatles...

EDIT: Wait, don't pay attn to me right now, just finished smokin a big bowl of some flower buds or something.

Beatles...Confused I made myself laff! the rantings of a wasted dude Clap

Edited by Catcher10 - January 27 2021 at 14:37
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2021 at 15:07
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

The Beatles...

EDIT: Wait, don't pay attn to me right now, just finished smokin a big bowl of some flower buds or something.

It's only in the alternate universe of prog could someone love Rush and hate the Beatles.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2021 at 15:21
As artists: Stockhausen and Nico.

Stockhausen with Nico and The Shaggs could have done something memorable.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2021 at 15:52
No Stockhausen necessary when you've got John Cale!  Nico and John Cale have produced some of the most chilling progressive rock I've ever heard......frozen borderlines and desert shores.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2021 at 16:02
^ That's true and add in Terry Riley (who of course collaborated with Cale) -- both Cale and Terry Riley being in PA (under related). I actually do already consider all of those to have made Prog... Riley, Cale, and Nico I mean -- Stockhausen was progressive, and the Shaggs were uniquely the Shaggs (its own category of music).

Edited by Logan - January 27 2021 at 16:09
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2021 at 16:34
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

The Beatles...

It's only in the alternate universe of prog could someone love Rush and hate the Beatles.

It's you guys that live in the wrong universe......I'm good, thanks champ! Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>