Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The R&R Hall of Shame!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The R&R Hall of Shame!
    Posted: February 10 2021 at 14:00
 Seems like we do this one every year but the R&R Hall of Fame nominees came out & like always it's a pretty poor list with a few exceptions.  It looks like they are hard pressed to find rock bands but there seems to be no shortage of rap/ R& B/ pop acts on the list while once again prog heavyweights like King Crimson, Jethro Tull & ELP are out in the cold.  Nice to see Kate Bush on the list along with Foo Fighters, Todd Rundgren & Iron Maiden but other that that not much for folks here to get excited about.

Edited by Argo2112 - February 10 2021 at 14:01
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 14:07
i would not pay any attention to these lists if they weren’t posted ever year, giving it more air of publicity, with people complaining about it, but I am most pleased to see Fela Kuti on the list. I love Kate Bush and very much enjoy Devo’s Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!

Edited by Logan - February 10 2021 at 14:12
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 14:18
Never understood the need for award shows and halls of fame. It says little about the level of artistery anyway.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 14:44
Over half of these are straight up just not rock artists. On top of that, who is honestly sitting down and listening to a Chaka Khan, Mary J Blige, Dionne Warwick or LL Cool J record start to finish? Half of these choices are just straight up pandering.

Kate Bush, Iron Maiden, Rage Against the Machine, Carole King, Todd Rundgren are valid to me

If I was desperate to fill out 2 more I would say Devo and the Foo Fighters

Edited by dougmcauliffe - February 10 2021 at 14:44
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 14:45
When I think of rock and roll, Mary J. Blige is always the first artist that springs to mind. Her, and Dionne Warwick, of course. Loved her punk era records.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 15:23
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Never understood the need for award shows and halls of fame. It says little about the level of artistery anyway.

Well, some halls of fame are worth mentioning:

https://hammondorganco.com/artists/hammond-hall-of-fame/

This Hall of Fame includes artists like Keith Emerson, Brian Auger, Greg Rolie, Steve Winwood and Barbara Dennerlein.

Edited by BaldFriede - February 10 2021 at 15:26

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 15:23
^^
LOL
Yes...they manage to ruin the concept of rock n roll each year with their sh*te nominations.
I applaud Rundgren,   Bush, and Maiden but that's about it.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 15:32
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

This Hall of Fame includes artists like Keith Emerson, Brian Auger, Greg Rolie, Steve Winwood and Barbara Dennerlein.

Some very good musicians there :)

But I do miss Anders Koppel on the list:

Edited by The Anders - February 10 2021 at 15:36
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 15:37

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Some very good musicians there :)

But I do miss Anders Koppel on the list:

For the freshman class they only included the 25 organ players that were most voted for, and since there was a tie for the 25th spot it became 26.

Edited by BaldFriede - February 10 2021 at 15:38

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 17:17
There's a few classic rock/ arena rock bands who get snubbed pretty much every year too. It's not just prog bands. Also, unless the band is really well known like Iron Maiden, metal typically gets snubbed also.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 10 2021 at 18:13
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 17:19
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

When I think of rock and roll, Mary J. Blige is always the first artist that springs to mind. Her, and Dionne Warwick, of course. Loved her punk era records.

LOL

Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 17:32
I'm delighted to say that I don't own a single album by any of those bands/artistes.
The only ones I vaguely like are Kate Bush, Iron Maiden and The Foo Fighters.
TBH, it's incredibly American oriented.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 17:58
After including the Zombies last year, I decided to go easy on RRHOF. Even Rush and Yes are included and I never thought that would happen.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 18:15
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

After including the Zombies last year, I decided to go easy on RRHOF. Even Rush and Yes are included and I never thought that would happen.

I think sooner or later most really well known and respected bands get in. I think eventually even ELP and King Crimson will be inducted.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 10 2021 at 18:16
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 18:31
Todd Rundgren, Tina Turner and Dionne Warwick all deserve to be in.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 18:32
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I think sooner or later most really well known and respected bands get in. I think eventually even ELP and King Crimson will be inducted.

True. I just hope that some of favorites get in before either they or I kick off.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2021 at 01:49
The fact that Carole King is not already in it shows that what a pile of **** this really is. 
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2021 at 01:57
Certainly a list that makes you want to stab screwdrivers into every living thing in a 40 miles radius. Thankfully they lost any credibility many years ago. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2021 at 02:08
Why would anyone who actually cares about music, care about the RRHOF?
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2021 at 02:18
 What's appalling is that they want to induct specific band line-ups in the HoF so they create awkward situations for musicians that can't stand each other anymore, can't work together or that have not seen each other in many years which obviously create a lot of unnecessary drama. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>