Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The R&R Hall of Shame!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2021 at 06:36
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Never understood the need for award shows and halls of fame. It says little about the level of artistery anyway.

Well, some halls of fame are worth mentioning:

This Hall of Fame includes artists like Keith Emerson, Brian Auger, Greg Rolie, Steve Winwood and Barbara Dennerlein.
One of my favourite meeting of the Hammonds.

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2021 at 06:41
When I was on the road doing sound (a lifetime ago) the keyboard player I worked with played a Hammond D with full pedaboard (it was a two piece listed here on PA.

I am glad to see Barbara Dennerlein on the list.
Her pedal work is impressive.
Jump to around 6:15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa-nKS89ATI
(hyperlink editor not working)

Edited by JD - February 11 2021 at 07:20
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2021 at 07:27
Although occasionalkly, they're worth it for the acceptance speech LOL

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2021 at 07:34
Thumbs Up
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2021 at 08:58
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

When I was on the road doing sound (a lifetime ago) the keyboard player I worked with played a Hammond D with full pedaboard (it was a two piece listed here on PA.

I am glad to see Barbara Dennerlein on the list.
Her pedal work is impressive.
Jump to around 6:15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa-nKS89ATI
(hyperlink editor not working)
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2021 at 09:22
The thing is that some artists really appreciate the induction. When The Zombies were inducted both Rod Argent and Colin Blunstone were absolutely ecstatic over it and considered it a great honor. Now, those two chaps are two of the nicest men in the rock business, without an ounce of ego or pretention, so I'm happy for them, not the RRHOF.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2021 at 09:22
The R&R Hall of Fame is becoming less and less related to Rock' n' Roll. It's ghastly and disgraceful seeing someone like Jay-Z getting a nomination, alongside bands like Foo Fighters or Rage Against the Machine (nothing against them, but seriously?).
I believe this is an event that is absolutely unworthy of attention, so I personally do not give a spit about who gets nominated or who gets inducted.
However, it is an event that is in desperate need of renaming - The Music Hall of Fame would fit it much better. Why mess up what R&R is!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2021 at 11:59
As mentioned, it moved away from just rock & roll a long time ago.   I have been considering creating my own Music Hall of Fame or Museum of Fame and Possibly Infamy. For my own museum, which would be set up in the hallway of my House for now (so just The Hallway of Fame), I hope to go bigger if I acquire enough "relics". In that case I will expand to the rec. room, right next to the elliptical trainer. I figure it would be nice for people to get a work-out while looking at the fine artefacts. If anyone has any original hand-written music manuscripts by fairly well-know names such as J.S. Bach cluttering up their drawers, please consider a donation to a worthy cause. I'm fine with various materials from music artists who are still composing or decomposing. I'm also interesting in collecting instruments used by musicians and more general music artefacts, curios, relics, memorabilia, antiquities, curios, souvenirs, paraphernalia and stuff like that. I'd like to have one of the guitars used by Jimi Hendrix where he tooth plucked/ played it. I'd settle just for the slightly chewed strings (hoping there's little bit of chipped tooth still stuck to it), for a little taste of Hendrix.   In fact, I would settle for some of his old used chewing gum.

Please PM me if you've got any old relevant stuff that's just taking up space in your garage or cluttering your drawers that belonged to, was created by, or was used by any reasonably renowned music personalities (a Clapton guitar is okay, Mozart's harpsichord is okay, but please keep those Nicki Minaj thongs in your own drawers). Very rare albums that you very rarely or never play I'll take off your hands too. I would be willing to cover the shipping costs depending on the item, and with every donation comes a significant discount on the admission price to visit the museum. The biggest donor will receive a season pass if certain restrictions are ever lifted.   If not, just know that that old stuff you weren't doing anything with has found a nice home. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Logan - February 11 2021 at 12:00
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2021 at 12:03
^Ok, if you want to keep it to just Rock & Roll, then Mozart's harpsichord is not ok if Nicki Minaj's thong is not ok. To be fair.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2021 at 12:09
^ Nicki Minaj's thong? Good God! Dead
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2021 at 12:09
^^ I would like to start a general Music Hall and Museum of Fame, which would include quality items and curios from diverse music artists such as Mozart's wig, an autographed photograph of The Shaggs, and even some country music singers drawls on display, but please no Nicki Minaj drawers (especially since the donor who acquired them might have been wearing them). You gotta draw the line somewhere, and the line where her thong goes is where I draw the line. That said, I might open this up a crack to more diverse stuff.

EDIT: Okay, maybe I am being prejudiced, and will accept the underwear of any reasonably famous musicians or composers. So If you have some lying around, please do send them my way. I know a lot of people are interested in such things. The only problem is verifying that it did indeed belong to that person and you aren't just sending me your own thong or underwear. The good stuff will sometimes come with a certificate of authenticity and/or certified DNA test results.

And by the way, of course I'm joking in case anyone takes this thing seriously. Although, I have genuinely considered doing something of this ilk. Maybe just as a website. That said, one might say that it's no bigger a joke than The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is.

Edited by Logan - February 11 2021 at 13:36
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2021 at 13:40
I have a desiccated finger tip from Keith Emerson's flying piano mishap. Flew off the stage and landed right in my lap. I've had it sitting on my CD case for around 47 years now.  Although I was hoping to hold onto it until they perfected the cloning technology that would allow me to have my very own Keith Emerson Organic Jukebox.

Let me think about it for a while.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2021 at 13:58
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Why would anyone who actually cares about music, care about the RRHOF?

I never really paid much attention to it until Yes was nominated. I figured after them it was only a matter of time before the other major prog bands got in. I'm still waiting though. 

At some point Steve Hogarth might have to arm wrestle with Steven Wilson to see whether Marillion or Porcupine Tree gets in first. LOL
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2021 at 14:01
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^ Nicki Minaj's thong? Good God! Dead

She gave me one of her's actually. I use it as a hammock. 
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2021 at 14:47
Todd Rundgren is a legit artist to include.  He has solid prog cred with his "Utopia" project, which I saw in concert years ago.  The man can really shred an electric guitar & can play virtually any instrument. 

I also quite like Devo.  Mark Muthersbaugh is extremely talented, and they were a creative force in the early days of new wave.  This is one of my favorite Devo songs.  Sort of "progressive punk." 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2021 at 15:33
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

The R&R Hall of Fame is becoming less and less related to Rock' n' Roll. It's ghastly and disgraceful seeing someone like Jay-Z getting a nomination, alongside bands like Foo Fighters or Rage Against the Machine (nothing against them, but seriously?).
I believe this is an event that is absolutely unworthy of attention, so I personally do not give a spit about who gets nominated or who gets inducted.
However, it is an event that is in desperate need of renaming - The Music Hall of Fame would fit it much better. Why mess up what R&R is!

I have no problem with Foo Fighters and Rage but they have not paid enough dues that maybe artists not nominated have. Then you have NY Dolls who only had 2 albums in early 70s then reformed in mid 2000s but never really made much of an impact. For sure they are very influential to the punk movement, but not much else.
I'm good with Devo, Rundgren, Go-Go's, Iron Maiden, Tina Turner. Rap/hip hop is not rock. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2021 at 15:50
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I have a desiccated finger tip from Keith Emerson's flying piano mishap. Flew off the stage and landed right in my lap. I've had it sitting on my CD case for around 47 years now.  Although I was hoping to hold onto it until they perfected the cloning technology that would allow me to have my very own Keith Emerson Organic Jukebox.

Let me think about it for a while.

LOL
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2021 at 16:24
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

I'm delighted to say that I don't own a single album by any of those bands/artistes.
The only ones I vaguely like are Kate Bush, Iron Maiden and The Foo Fighters.
TBH, it's incredibly American oriented.

RnRHOF member/voters must think Rock n Roll was invented and perfected in America!

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2021 at 20:47
^Imagine that right? I suppose next they'll say Jazz was invented and perfected in the US. What poppycock!

Edited by Awesoreno - February 11 2021 at 20:48
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 02:01
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Why would anyone who actually cares about music, care about the RRHOF?
It's about what it represents. Public and permanent validation. Even though it's only rock and roll...

Not only is it mis-directed by including non-rock acts it is also incompetent by not including full line ups. e.g. Deep Purple spring to mind.As it's about Fame then artistry is a secondary consideration.

Maybe there should be another one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>