Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How did you become a proghead?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 13:47
This topic comes up every now and then on PA, but I think its been a while. I gave some too-long answers before, going thru my music stages; the short summary of that is:

1) Friends in Jr. High introduced me to Rush-- for about a year I listened to almost nothing else; wore out a cassette with 2112 on one side and Moving Pictures on the other.

2) In High School, friends introduced me to 80's Yes. 90125 was a music staple.

3) In college started checking out 70's Yes; listened to almost nothing else for about a 6-month period.

4) Post-college: found out what "Prog Rock" is, discovered Renaissance, 70s Genesis, and other bands on Prog Rock radio, found PA and other websites, started collecting a lot of Prog rock.

5) Became a Prog DJ,  and continue to collect A LOT more Prog Rock to this day. So I'm a total "Prog Head".

And like a lot of others here, I listen to all types of music, but Prog Rock is by far my favorite type.

Edited by zwordser - February 13 2021 at 11:49
Z
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 13:57
My Dad played The Dark Side of the Moon on the stereo for us (my Mom, brother and me) when I was a kid. Maybe around 1975 or so. I remember the heartbeat seemed a little scary at first, but the helicopter noises and weird synthesizer noises from On the Run clicked with me immediately. 
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 13:58
This is an interesting question for me  personally because I discovered prog at a time when probably not too many other people my age were discovering it and that would be the 1980's. After Yes released 90125(which I soon bought on cassette tape) I began to realize this was the same  band who put out "the Yes album" which I heard a year or so earlier, because my dad owned it, but couldn't get into it because I thought it was too jammy or something(I don't think I made it past "yours is no disgrace"). I ordered "classic yes" on cassette tape just before I went away to summer camp in the summer of 1984 when I was fourteen. While at camp some of the guys in my cabin heard me playing 90125 and it turns out they were Yes fans(maybe because of their dad; I'm not sure). That helped me get into them more and through them I realized this band I liked from a couple of years earlier called Asia had connections to them. 

It was still a gradual journey into becoming a prog fan though. I was still mostly into classic rock and whatever was popular. Led Zeppelin was my favorite band. However, my cousin was a big fan of Genesis and to some degree Yes also so that helped me get more into and discover this thing called progressive rock but I don't think my cousin, who also liked King Crimson, used the term progressive rock. I didn't really take that term seriously until seeing it mentioned in a guitar book that had Robert Fripp in it. I also had a rock encyclopedia that mentioned progressive rock and first heard about a few bands that way. I gradually got more into Yes and Genesis and started to discover their back catalogs and also started to explore King Crimson even though I almost gave up since the first album I heard by them was "islands." By 1986 or so I was a fan of progressive rock bands but was mostly limited to the most obvious ones. My step mother's brother, who was a musician and dj mentioned to me a band called Gentle Giant and I eventually bought three friends and Octopus by them(this was late 80's).  Before the end of the decade I discovered prog mail order catalogs(such as the laser's edge) and the rest is history. 

Prog was growing in the underground at this time even before the internet due to cd reissues and these mail order catalogs. Although I wasn't into it you also had progressive metal popping up. I eventually discovered progression magazine, got sidetracked by alternative while in college and took a break fromm prog in the mid 90's but then rediscovered it before the end of the decade due to rediscovering my old prog catalogs and then also first got online and discovered prog that way after seeing a prog website mentioned in a book I bought called the progressive rock files. I soon started going to prog festivals and got more into this genre online and the rest as they say is history. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 12 2021 at 16:55
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 14:46
Hearing Fragile--I never heard anything like that before---then a British friend of mine I met in my college town turned me on to Selling England--and once again while very different than Yes---had a mesmerizing magic that it still has for me today. I'm a prog fan but a lot of it isn't really my thing---so I'm a selective prog fan. I tend to appreciate the originality of the best of the best.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 15:20
my parents were hippies and listened to all that psychedelic stuff, including prog and Krautrock (a friend of them was in the army and stationed in Kaiserslautern; he sent them all these Krautrock albums). they took all kinds of drugs, and the house (we lived in a hippie commune) was always filled with sweet smoke. they were at Woodstock with me when I was 8 months old; my parents and I can be seen in one scene of the Woodstock movie. we lived in Oakland, just a bridge away from the center of the hippie movement.

my mother played some piano; she was my first piano teacher

Edited by BaldJean - February 12 2021 at 15:21

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 16:00
I was 12 in 1969, and a friend played his brother's copy of ITCOTCK for me. 

I was hooked from the opening Mellotron chords.  The rest is history.  

Edited by cstack3 - February 12 2021 at 16:00
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 16:08
I grew up in west somerset near the commune of a band listed here and heard them practice regularly but didnt know who they were at the time! Later as a teenager i went to a lot of their parties (though most of the bands that played there were Reggae or Hippie-punk.. Poison girls, Crass, Hippie sl*g...) Heard bands like Camel, Stackridge, Barclay James Harvest and Focus through my older brother, worked as a roadie for a bit (Hawkwind etc), ran a record shop for a bit (discovered loads of bands then) and spent a lot of time travelling round festivals.
To be honest, it was not till after my first marriage ended that i re-discovered Prog and rebuilt my record collection and started going to gigs again.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 17:19
I may be a progarchiveshead, but I wouldn't consider myself to be a Proghead. There's a huge amount of music outside of the Prog sphere that I appreciate, although much of it relates to Prog in various ways. Perhaps what kind of head I am depends on the hat I'm wearing at that moment. Does the hat make the head or the head make the hat? Or both or neither. I have tended to gravitate towards the unusual and always have, which is why a lot of "avant prog" appeals to me. I was raised mostly on classical music, and perhaps I liked how various progressive rock utilised classical form, and even purloined some of the music. An early Prog fave of mine was Focus' Hamburger Concerto. I wasn't much into a lot of yahoo check out my what I'm packing (is that a strat in my pants or am I just glad to see you?) testosterone fueled rock, even if Hamburger Concerto is very ballsy in its way. Later on I really got into it because I was searching for "Hairless Heart" from The Lamb..., and didn't know what it was other than it's some kind of Prog and Peter Gabriel related. That got me delving deep, although I was already familiar with some Prog. Gryphon was one of the first bands I got into when small (in my brothers collection), and Alan Parsons Project with I Robot (I didn't know the prog term then). And I knew a lot of Floyd, some Yes, Rush and Zappa. It's all terribly convoluted and dull, but suffice to say, here I am, proghead or not.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 17:29
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

Here's a question that should spawn a variety of different answers. How did you, fellow forum users, become progheads? What was the reason for you to dive into this not-so-obvious ocean of music and what made you stay? Did you discover prog by yourself or did you inherit this good taste from someone?
I'm curious to see what stories there are.

I just like music.
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 17:58
I was a metalhead before getting into prog. Then my father (who is actually not all that into prog) told me to listen to Jethro Tull, so I did, and loved them.

Then I just randomly listened to some Yes song as a teenager and it all came together from that point.
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 18:26
This website pays me a ton of money to be a prog head......although I really don't like prog but hey its money.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 18:28
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Here's a question that should spawn a variety of different answers. How did you, fellow forum users, become progheads? What was the reason for you to dive into this not-so-obvious ocean of music and what made you stay? Did you discover prog by yourself or did you inherit this good taste from someone?

I just like music.

Rob (aka Skeletor!) good to see u here Bro.....Working on any new music??
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 18:54
I was a Moody Blues fan at the age of five, thanks to my dad letting me adopt their 2 1969 records as my own. Got into Floyd and Camel several years later. ELP, Genesis etc several years after that, etc. I guess to make a long story short, prog was always a part of my life, and my interest in it probably reached its peak in my late teens and early 20s, coinciding with the early 90s resurgence when I discovered that bands other than England and the US had bands in the 60s-80s too, thanks to CD reissues and the internet.

Edited by HolyMoly - February 12 2021 at 18:55
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 05:50
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

This website pays me a ton of money to be a prog head......although I really don't like prog but hey its money.
You're right!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 06:06
told too many times before:

For short:

Stand Up age 6 (in 69)
Beatles & Stones - age 9
Crime of the Century in 74 the second day of its release (age 11)
Prog floodgates opened the next day: Crimson, Genesis, etc...

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 06:54
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I just like music.

Rob (aka Skeletor!) good to see u here Bro.....Working on any new music??

Always a pleasure to see you!

I am always working on music, even if I don't have an instrument in front of me!

I can tell you the next Epignosis album has been titled The Way Things Were.  It's looking to be about twelve songs or so.

I hope you are doing well and even thriving in these times.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 07:31
Grew up on FM radio in its heyday - it was like being alive when the dinosaurs ruled.  It was easy - listen, ID what you dig, then head to the local record stores with paper route profits on Saturday morning to scour the bins for what you done dug.  One of the first was the intro to All Good People.....then devouring the Yes Album, couldn't have been more than 12.  I bet the Yes Album was a gateway for many prog fans.  
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 07:51
My brother came home from boarding school for Thanksgiving vacation. He had all this new music he'd been exposed to. I was mildly interested (a lot of it was heavy guitar oriented).

I went outside to perform my nightly basketball drills under the lights of our driveway when brother Brian opened his bedroom windows (which were over my basketball "court"), placed his "big" audio speakers into his window boxes, and started blasting Uriah Heep's Demons and Wizards--playing the album the whole way through--while I worked out. I was, from that event on, a changed person.

Three years previously, I had heard someone in a local band play the portamento strip on a keyboard before playing their cover of this new hit by Grand Funk Railroad called "I'm Your Captain (Closer to Home)" 

A year later I was coerced by my "wild" friend to go to a community-wide dance for middle schoolers. While I tried avoiding the usual conspiratorial girls, I found myself sucked into the performances of the live band(s?) up on stage. I remember them playing theatric versions of "Maggie May," "Stairway to Heaven," "Locomotive Breath," and "Aqualung."

Other than that, in the 1960s, my mother was a Beatles fanatic and dad a Latin pop-jazz nut (mostly Herb Alpert and Sergio Mendez).

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 10:48
It all started with hearing my brother's 'Tull records as a young nymph in high school. Then he took me to their 'Passion Play concert in '73. Then my friend across the street turned me onto PFM's Chocolate Kings and Genesis' 'Trick' around the time of their release. From then on, it was all downhill.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 11:02
I wouldn't call myself a proghead either. I'm a music addict where prog rock takes on a prominent role in this addition. When i hear words like proghead it sounds like a fan who is only emerged in that one particular genre.

I'm a proghead but also a metalhead, jazzhead, classicalhead, electronichead but definitely not a Deadhead. Sorry Jerry Garcia Big smile

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>