Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nu Jazz Bands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Who of these do you like?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [6.67%]
5 [11.11%]
5 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [4.44%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.22%]
2 [4.44%]
2 [4.44%]
1 [2.22%]
3 [6.67%]
1 [2.22%]
2 [4.44%]
1 [2.22%]
2 [4.44%]
5 [11.11%]
1 [2.22%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.22%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [4.44%]
3 [6.67%]
3 [6.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nu Jazz Bands
    Posted: February 19 2021 at 13:49
Multiple votes allowed

Been digging all these bands for a while in the nu jazz scene. Who do you like?

I deliberately left off bands who are on PA.

Please post comments
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 14:05
I don't know much about nu jazz, where should I start? Embarrassed
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 14:26
If you like minimalist music I'd start with Nik Bartsch Ronin, The Necks & Gogo Penguins.

A more post rock sort of vibe - Dylan Ryan Sand, Blue Cranes, Hidden Orchestra

Afrobeat influenced - The Comet Is Coming, Moses Boyd, Sons Of Kemet

That The Comet Is Coming track is probably my favorite by anyone in the last five years.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - February 19 2021 at 14:39
Ian

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 14:48
I voted for my favourite 10 of these, but it would have been easy to keep going! 🤪

Yazz Ahmed, Moses Boyd, The Comet Is Coming, Sons of Kemet, Nubya Garcia, GoGo Penguin, The Kandinsky Effect, Mammal Hands, Shabaka and the Ancestors, and World Service Project.

Nice list! 👍🏻

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 17:30
Hmm...I've never heard of Ronin, The Necks, and esp Thumbscrew being described as nu jazz. 

I'm still going to vote for the Necks, mind. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 18:00
Most I know I like a lot, so I should check out some of the others.
Voted Hidden Orchestra, Dawn of Midi, Portico Quartet, Plaistow. The Necks, Ronin & Ezra not far behind.

Although I'd say Dawn of Midi are about as anti-jazz and formalist as it gets. Who put them into the nu-jazz box?
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 18:38
I'm abusing the term, I use it on my ipod to group any modern jazz bands who aren't playing traditional/mainstream jazz. 

Jazz Music Archives does have Nik Bartsch Ronin, The Necks & Dawn Of Midi in Nu Jazz.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - February 19 2021 at 18:49
Ian

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 19:10
I haven't heard most of these, but I like what I've heard from Yazz Ahmed.  
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 22:32
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I'm abusing the term, I use it on my ipod to group any modern jazz bands who aren't playing traditional/mainstream jazz. 

Jazz Music Archives does have Nik Bartsch Ronin, The Necks & Dawn Of Midi in Nu Jazz.

They must be the only one. LOL

'new' jazz is probably a better moniker. But its all good. Alot of excellent bands here regardless. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 00:48
I really like Thumbscrew but I indeed doubt that they'd appreciate being classified as nu jazz
yogev View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 03:26

If you like minimalist music I'd start with Nik Bartsch Ronin, The Necks & Gogo Penguins.

A more post rock sort of vibe - Dylan Ryan Sand, Blue Cranes, Hidden Orchestra

Afrobeat influenced - The Comet Is Coming, Moses Boyd, Sons Of Kemet

That The Comet Is Coming track is probably my favorite by anyone in the last five years.

I only know GoGo Penguin, and they're great. I will check out all the artists you recommended. 

Edited by yogev - April 15 2022 at 03:31
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 04:03
Yikes, I'm going to have to spend 1/2h to vote for most of thoseAngryLOL

happy to see so many LDN scene acts, but somewhat a bit sad not to see more Gondwanna label artistes (GGP is the only one listed)

yup, I must say I was surprised Confused when I saw the list: Nu-Jazz is somewhat similar to acid-jazz, so I expected more to see Marc Moulin, St Germain or Jaga Jazzists
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 04:45

Listened to it now, haha, this is great indeed but so straight that I'm a bit surprised you think it's "best in five years" material. But then why not? Having lots of fun maybe the best thing at any time. Big smile
PS: The Ronin one is clearly better than what I had heard of them up to now, and that wasn't bad either.

Edited by Lewian - February 20 2021 at 04:47
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 04:50
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

happy to see so many LDN scene acts, but somewhat a bit sad not to see more Gondwanna label artistes (GGP is the only one listed)

Portico Quartet are Gondwanna, aren't they?
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 05:54
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

They are. As are Mammal Hands. 👍🏻

wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 06:57
I'll have to go with Hidden Orchestra, followed closely by Nik Bartsch's Ronin. I discovered both based on your (Ian) recommendations on another thread... maybe on PE.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 07:01
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

I'll have to go with Hidden Orchestra, followed closely by Nik Bartsch's Ronin. I discovered both based on your (Ian) recommendations on another thread... maybe on PE.

I have a long running minimalist jazz thread running on PE so it may have been there.
Ian

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 07:05
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

They are. As are Mammal Hands. 👍🏻

Correct, I've got Gogo Penguin, Mammal Hands & Portico Quartet from Gondwanna in the poll. Great label.
Ian

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 11:50
Great list, of which I still have to explore some bands... I think it was you, Nogbad, who made me discover The Comet Is Coming in one of the interactive polls, and they're one of my favourites now! The other two, from the ones I know on this list, are Hidden Orchestra and Portico Quartet.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 12:08
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Great list, of which I still have to explore some bands... I think it was you, Nogbad, who made me discover The Comet Is Coming in one of the interactive polls, and they're one of my favourites now! The other two, from the ones I know on this list, are Hidden Orchestra and Portico Quartet.

It would appear the forum voters think otherwise, but of the three Shabaka bands in this selection, my favourite is The Comet Is Coming. Shabaka is pretty much awesome, though, wherever he is playing. ❤️

Moses Boyd released one of my favourite albums last year, which I enjoyed even more than Nubya Garcia’s Source (which was pretty much universally lauded).

I love how much interest jazz is getting in recent years. (Obviously jazz has always been around, but it’s certainly seeming to me to be having a bit of a rise in popularity of late.)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>