Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What do we want from the artists?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fredyair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do we want from the artists?
    Posted: February 23 2021 at 18:01
Reading recent albums reviews I've noticed that we are all a bunch of complaining asses, I'll put two examples and then you give me your opinion.
Steven Wilson new album has been criticized for being too different, labeled as glorified pop, not prog enough, etc.
Transatlantic new album has labeled "just more of the same", "nothing new", predictable, etc.

So, what do we want? Same old, same old or shocking and unexpected?
Long live Progresive music!
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 18:22
We want the music we like. Duh. (hehe)
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 18:23
We want them to be different but prog not pop.  I tend to like just about anything outside of growls and the really out there avant stuff but I do find the new Steven Wilson to be too pop and the new Transatlantic to be too "more of the same".  I am big fan of both of these artists but neither of their new albums had a wow factor for me.  Maybe more listens will change my mind.

Edited by rushfan4 - February 23 2021 at 18:25
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 18:24
Cool topic. This forum is full of complaining asses. I only want something that sounds good. Doesn't matter if its shocking or same old. I know when I hear it.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 19:14
Originally posted by fredyair fredyair wrote:

Reading recent albums reviews I've noticed that we are all a bunch of complaining asses, I'll put two examples and then you give me your opinion....

Hi,

I'm not sure that we as "fans" should be "demanding" anything from an artist ... I won't even do that to Uncle Elton, and don't see the point of doing it to SW, or anyone else.

They have a right to do as they please, and they sell enough that they do not feel the need to have to accept anything we say ... but to an extent, and the consideration that this is a "progressive music" forum, we can not help feel that there should have been a lot more done with the music, that has been shown ... and my take on it is that these people are "has-beens" and it is time for someone else ... I keep wondering why we keep asking an old turtle to race yet again?

I thought I would better use my money on things that I am enjoying ... not things that sounded the same as they have for some time, or just some more glorified pop musik just because he has the name to sell enough bits to pay for it, and he has all the instruments and studio time he (SW) wants!

I would think that we are looking and finding something new ... and not spend our time discussing something we have not enjoyed ... but I'm known for not being "everyone" else.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 19:53
I want the artists to record and release music that is important to them. If I happen to like it great, bonus. This is not a fanboy site, there are plenty of those out there, we'll discuss the music based on our tastes and interests. We'll promote the stuff we like. There should be no other expectations of the artists or the site membership.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 20:22

This !

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 20:30
But in all seriousness, I think the 'all the same old same old' comments are meant to express a lack of real diversity in the music. If you take a band like ELP they constantly tried to keep things interesting by NOT repeating themselves. This worked for them, but against them as well as critics tended to say they were all over the place and couldn't be put into a neat little package. I would say the same for Spock's beard...like ELP, up to a point. Then they weren't pushing or reaching or exploring, they were just playing. I think that's why I never really got into Marillion or IQ much. After listening to two or three of their albums I felt like i was really just hearing the same basic album over and over.

Personally I like to be surprised by music. So called 'formula' bands fall far short for my tastes.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 20:32
The site is called Prog Archives for a reason so it seems self evident that music considered not faithful to that tradition will be viewed in either a less flattering light or requiring different criteria to those provided in the existing sub genre descriptions. The Crossover Prog sub genre strikes me as being a good enough fit for something like Wilson's TFB and the flak it has attracted to date is probably from the same source as that directed at his choice of a boxed set of all Abba's studio albums (BRILLIANT pop music) from the Amoeba Store streamed on You Tube recently. The Pop/Folk/Classical/Synth Tech and Jazz elements in Crossover are a feature not a bug. I'm also aware that it's not a case of if but when the parameters of what might be deemed Prog need expanding for a tech heavy genre like Progressive Electronic. That said, I do however get a little suspicious of the motives of those who enter a steakhouse demanding their vegetarian choice i.e. If I like it, it must be good and should be on PA as I don't care about labels and I only like good music  Dead With narcissistic chutzpah like that some of you really should be levitating in from of us.

Edited by ExittheLemming - February 24 2021 at 01:23
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 21:00
I like good music. If it's not good I don't like to listen to it very much.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 21:07
I want them to do what they feel they want to create, not what they think will sell better. That's when the true masterpieces are created.
Erenan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erenan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 23:03
I'm with Grumpyprogfan. I want music that sounds good.

Now, as for me, if it's overly similar to something that already exists, then it has to be better than the old thing or I'll just listen to that instead. If it's better, then I'll listen to the new thing. Like, I don't read Kant, I read Parfit. I don't listen to Rush, I listen to hahaha jk I'm not going to do that.

But yes, if it speaks to me then I'm happy. It definitely doesn't matter to me at all if it's prog or not. If it's super original and different then I consider this a nice feature to have but not strictly necessary.

My view is: If you want a steak then eat a steak. If you want a salad then eat a salad. Don't eat a salad and complain that it wasn't a very good steak.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 23:16
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I want the artists to record and release music that is important to them. If I happen to like it great, bonus. .

This is my answer as well. The artist should create art for themselves. If others like it too, well then that's gravy. 

As for me personally...I want artists to create challenging, complex, instrumental focused music with variety, depth, and musically involved processes. 

As for things like Steve Wilson...this is a prog site. I would imagine a majority here like this music because it is the very opposite of pop music. When different = lets make pop music, that isn't progressive at all and it shouldn't be unexpected if people here (or people who enjoy more complex music in general) express dismay or disappointment at it. (Wilson has been moving in this direction for awhile, so I mean TFB isn't really shocking in that sense...but still.) That doesn't make them asses. As several people have said here, they want music they like. So perhaps a little selfish, but not a****le worthy. 

One final note...if all people want from a band is that they make each album a different genre then they aren't really a prog fan...which is fine, but it would probably be better to acknowledge these things ahead of time. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 23:54
I refer the honourable gentleman to the review I undertook of Wilson’s new album, in which I made reference to this conundrum.

I like intelligent music, and that is why I am a prog fan. Ditto a lot of folk music, electronic music and so on. What I dislike, and I suspect most people here are the same, is mindless pop “pap”. I also loathe the misogyny, racism, and violence inherent in much of the modern urban scene.

My personal prog tastes most certainly do not extend to the more eclectic jazzy stuff or extreme metal. Horrible noises to these delicate ears, so they are. That is just personal taste.

Wilson’s latest effort is undoubtedly a popular music album, as opposed to a pure progressive rock album, but it still carries with it an innate intelligence, as well as being annoyingly catchy.

Transatlantic have released yet another extremely good symphonic prog album, and there is nothing in there radically different, but I am enjoying it, and my review will reflect that.

I think that there are some people on this forum who have a tendency to automatically write music off if it even so much as whiffs of pop. That is not particularly reflective of the wider music loving public, or even the wider prog enjoying public. It is perfectly possible, and acceptable, to actively like a wide range of music.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 05:23
I think many fans want the artist to do what they initially set out to do. They don't want them to stray too far from what made them successful in the first place. So many Yes fans wanted Yes to keep repeating close to the edge and prog, Rush fans wanted them to stick with hard rock with prog elements or something like that and depending on when you became a Genesis fan you want them to do the prog rock thing or keep playing poppy music. 

Should things be this way? Nope. You as a fan don't get to say how the band should play their music or what style or genre they play. Sorry folks but it's not up to you and you need to get over it. However, some bands pay too much attention to what their fans want and some not enough or not at all. There probably should be some kind of feedback(such as online reviews etc) but the fans shouldn't dictate what kind of music the band plays. If the band wants to change styles or sounds they should feel free to do that without any explanation whatsoever to the fans.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 24 2021 at 05:27
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 05:37
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I want the artists to record and release music that is important to them. If I happen to like it great, bonus. This is not a fanboy site, there are plenty of those out there, we'll discuss the music based on our tastes and interests. We'll promote the stuff we like. There should be no other expectations of the artists or the site membership.

This.

Some people want artists to keep on trotting out their favourite album by that artist, others are more open to an artist trying different. Steven Wilson has had a whole load of abuse on FB from people who don't like the way he is going with his latest album. To my mind, it's wrong, if you don't like  it, don't buy it.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 05:44

Reading recent albums reviews I've noticed that we are all a bunch of complaining asses, I'll put two examples and then you give me your opinion.
Steven Wilson new album has been criticized for being too different, labeled as glorified pop, not prog enough, etc.
Transatlantic new album has labeled "just more of the same", "nothing new", predictable, etc.

I must say, frankly, that I have no idea of what you're talking about. Positive reviews outweigh negative reviews here about a rate of something like 4 to 1. Perhaps you should stop focusing on your preferred artists and delve into reviews of artists that you are unfamiliar with and see some of the positive reviews that you are missing.

Edited by SteveG - February 24 2021 at 05:47
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 05:49
I wrote the Transatlantic review you're talking about. When I listen to music I am always looking for something to actively like about it and I tend to find something to appreciate in most the stuff I listen to. Most my reviews you'll ever see will be either 4 or 5 stars, but after writing so much about albums I like, I started to feel like I was writing the same review over and over again so I saw me really not enjoying this new TA release as a good chance to express some thoughts of mine I might not typically communicate regularly.

I fully believe an artist needs to write the music they would want to listen to and not cater to what any group of "fans" want to hear. It's one of the reasons why Camel and Opeth are my two favorite bands. Their whole career has been defined by changing up their sound album to album with no fans really agreeing on any one full discography assessment. But I don't think we need to just consume and never critique, i'd love seeing positive reviews all day everyday but there needs to be something to compare it to. Even if someone takes an album I love and tears it to shreds, if they can sit down and explain what it is that doesn't do it for them than that's fine and acceptable, it has no bearing on my enjoyment at the end of the day.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 05:57
originality. an artist should have a voice of his own. he does not need to reinvent himself with every new album, but it is certainly most welcome when he does from time to time (like Peter Hammill, Guru Guru or Barbara Dennerlein, for example). I don't need the 500th copy of early 70s Genesis

Edited by BaldJean - February 24 2021 at 05:59

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 05:58
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I must say, frankly, that I have no idea of what you're talking about. Positive reviews outweigh negative reviews here about a rate of something like 4 to 1. Perhaps you should stop focusing on your preferred artists and delve into reviews of artists that you are unfamiliar with and see some of the positive reviews that you are missing.

Maybe he's looking outside of PA? I haven't read reviews/opinions about the new Transatlantic album on FB but the reviews of SW's album are, I would guess, 60-40 against it/not liking it/sl*g.ing it off for not being prog.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>