Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your Reviews & Ratings Tables

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your Reviews & Ratings Tables
    Posted: February 28 2021 at 06:32
I thought it'd be interesting to see what everyone's Reviews & Ratings table looks like so we can compare notes. Here's my table with Neo Prog rated surprisingly highest at the moment at 4.06, although that's probably because I've only rated 18 albums by IQ so far. Smile

Sub-genreNb of reviewsAvg rating
1Symphonic Prog2834.05
2Crossover Prog2094.00
3Prog Related1213.75
4Eclectic Prog1053.72
5Jazz Rock/Fusion943.57
6Psychedelic/Space Rock813.94
7Prog Folk643.95
8Heavy Prog543.96
9Proto-Prog503.90
10Canterbury Scene483.42
11Neo-Prog184.06
12Indo-Prog/Raga Rock63.83
13Various Genres14.00

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 02 2021 at 10:22
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2021 at 07:09
Most of these are ratings. I'm not good at putting thoughts together with words, so not may reviews.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - February 28 2021 at 07:11
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 08:53
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I thought it'd be interesting to see what everyone's Reviews & Ratings table looks like so we can compare notes. Here's my table with Neo Prog rated surprisingly highest at the moment at 4.06, although that's probably because I've only rated 18 albums by IQ so far. Smile
Hi,

I would take these more seriously if we "weighted" the number of reviews ... like a proportional number of reviews ... given that ProgXYZ only has 4 reviews and Genesis has 104, and Yes has 121 ... (numbers just made up!)

That sort of populism, is tough on databases, which only show "numbers" and not a relative, or relational understanding of the numbers, and this is the hardest part of the "internet" days ... that we have become addicted to the "answers" that these numbers give us, and in the end they are not real ... they do not reflect the reality. It's like Soc 101 at the University ... the book and its first lesson and chapter is the RULE and the SOCIETY ... and you are not, regardless of how you feel! You're not one of the "numbers" ... and it distorts the reality completely and this is one of the worst side of many studies like Psychology, Sociology, and many Literature places ... where they have setup an "ideal" and everything has to conform to that ideal ... and the worst of them all is the English Department talking about Shakespeare like it was some kind of poetry and theater for the rich, when 80% of its audience were regular street folks getting drunk and fighting among the audience and laughing and crying at some stage antics ... like most street folks would give a darn about poetry, when all you knew was limericks and ribald jokes ... and you come to see a "tragic play"? .... doesn't compute with the audience!

I wish many of these "reviews" were looked at, and instead of looking at the numbers of them you probably would ditch some 30 to 40% of them, and the numbers would then, likely, show a better relationship between them.

The thing that bothers me is that we continue with this "consumerism" idea in terms of everything we talk about ... when the history of the arts, has been totally and completely against the grain ... it's almost that we're trying to make sure that what we believe has to live forever, and for crying out loud ... things change every day, and tomorrow what you believe, was childish at best!

We have to get past the numbers to find some meaningful detail.

An example that is even more ridiculous ... the number of deaths in one state against the other ... in one state with 5 million folks there were X number of deaths, and in the state with the 1 million folks there was Y number of deaths ... and the media headlines says that the sate with 5 million folks has an inordinate number of deaths and is a concern for the general populace ... when the percentage relation from the deaths to the populace is ... probably the same ... but "more deaths" makes it sound more important news ... and that only says, something about the intelligence and ability to disperse news by many companies out there ... and we continue ... like ... so what ... and there is no Walter Cronkite that was bigger than CBS or any news to show us, how wrong we can be, and how much we ignore the reality of it all ... 

The question is ... what can we do about it ... continue saying things that are really not relationally correct, or ignore it ... because the numbers are sacred ... ohhh Mr. Jesus would have loved that, I'm sure!

Edited by moshkito - March 01 2021 at 08:54
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 08:56
1RIO/Avant-Prog674.42
2Crossover Prog144.43
3Psychedelic/Space Rock144.21
4Zeuhl114.55
5Progressive Electronic74.00
6Prog Folk44.50
7Eclectic Prog34.33
8Jazz Rock/Fusion24.00
9Symphonic Prog24.00
10Canterbury Scene14.00
11Rock Progressivo Italiano13.00

You'll get a more representative assessment of my ratings here

I'm on as Ian Carss

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - March 01 2021 at 08:58
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
bartymj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bartymj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 01:11
I've definitely been quantity over quality, most of this is ratings only - have been using PA to broaden my horizons beyong the obvious prog giants of yesteryear (having been born in the bleak prog void of the early 90s). I suppose the biggest takeaway from this is a discovery of Zeuhl...

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 01:30
^ It must have been quite a challenge listening to 33 Tech/Extreme Prog Metal albums all the way through, considering they have a combined low rating of 1.94. Smile
bartymj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bartymj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 03:22
I will admit there is a lot of track skipping when the death growls start! But the way PA works the category contains the later work of Opeth which is very very good, and other bands like Leprous and Moonsorrow which mix the extreme style with more symphonic elements to create something very interesting. I'm all for moving out of my comfort zone to find a hidden gem! That 1.92 is probably a weird blend of 1 star and 4 stars with little in between...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 03:57
Originally posted by bartymj bartymj wrote:

I will admit there is a lot of track skipping when the death growls start! But the way PA works the category contains the later work of Opeth which is very very good, and other bands like Leprous and Moonsorrow which mix the extreme style with more symphonic elements to create something very interesting. I'm all for moving out of my comfort zone to find a hidden gem! That 1.92 is probably a weird blend of 1 star and 4 stars with little in between...

I prefer to stay in my comfort zone, so Tech/Extreme Prog Metal is unlikely to ever make an appearance in my Reviews/Ratings table. I don't mind death growls in Symphonic Metal though.  Smile

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 07:22

I've definitely been quantity over quality, most of this is ratings only - have been using PA to broaden my horizons beyong the obvious prog giants of yesteryear (having been born in the bleak prog void of the early 90s). I suppose the biggest takeaway from this is a discovery of Zeuhl...

Hi,

I do not "believe" that there was a "bleak prog void" at any time and place. There are way too many bands around the world, and all we think of is the small areas that we know, sometimes, and think they are the owners and definers of the art form only in the way that we want them. The same music with aborigine instruments would get laughed at and ignored by most of us real quick, not to mention that it would sound out of key (western style of course!), and badly put together! But it can't be said that the effort was not there for that particular style!

Sometimes I think that too much music is influenced by the current scene too much, and there is a lot of stuff that goes into it and the 90's, just like any other era had just as many good/great things. The only issue is that we don't listen to those, and then go back to the top 5 and discussing the same album again, and our favorite song.

However, you will find some artists (quoting Robin Williamson) that did not feel that the MEDIA had as great an influence as we think on most poets and artists, however, it maybe like the art itself is what defined the media words AFTER the fact ... which says a lot about artists and how valuable and important I think they are. I am not sure that the numbers here reveal a whole lot about the music at all ... which is sad for me ... there is a lot of great stuff out there not being heard.

Zheul had been around in France for a long time, and in many forms almost to the point that many folks like to say that a large amount of it is actually better than the original, which of course is possible and likely ... what child doesn't get bored with their parents at times and wants to do things differently? SPECIALLY when they had been there at the start, with likely a hand in making the original!

But there are some strange numbers ... this latest set shows 9 ratings, and that is the opening page of "Reviews and Ratings of KRAUTROCK" and right above it says that there were 731 ratings/reviews total. It actually is not a "bad" listing, but a very general set that does not really come close to the term, or its definition. CAN's Future Days, almost does not fit the term, when compared to Tago Mago or Ege Bamyasi, that are very clean and improvised freely. Ash Ra Tempel's first album is more of an ambient album than where it is rated. Popol Vuh, would not fit as "krautrock" since it was not any kind of rock, until later! I'm OK with the 3 AD2 selections with the obvious fact that a lot of the first album was not exactly an improvisation and have the incredible impact that YETI did, or DANCE OF THE LEMMINGS.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 07:57
Lot's of good avant in the 90's not a bad decade at all.
Ian

Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 08:32
It would be interesting to know how many of my reviews are first reviews for the release in question. I believe more than every fourth (though having reviewed a lot of singles helps that). The average amount of reviews preceding mine is probably very low anyway; I tend to avoid heavily reviewed albums -- with a small bunch of exceptions for some classic albums I love.
... Not that this would necessarily be so important, but it reflects my ideals of worthy reviewing.

Edited by Matti - March 02 2021 at 08:46
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 08:56
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Lot's of good avant in the 90's not a bad decade at all.

From the 1960s on, there’s no decade I don’t love a lot of music from. But the ‘80s is definitely a thin one for me in terms of prog - or, at least music that is recognised as prog. It’s interesting to see over the years, that a lot of the ‘80s bands are being re-evaluated, and finding an audience with prog listeners that they likely didn’t enjoy at the time. I grew up in the ‘80s, so there’s so much music from that decade I love, but very little of it would be found in PA.....

[EDIT] Just in case my point wasn’t made clearly, because I sort of took off on a tangent, I thought the ‘90s rocked. 🤘🏻

Edited by nick_h_nz - March 02 2021 at 09:07
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 09:05
The early 90s kicks ass in my opinion, especially if you're a prog metal/tech death guy like me. Also we got a new Camel record which is always welcome around here!
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 09:14
Oh I agree, I just consider the 90's a 'bleak prog void'. For me personally I have less from the 80's than the 90's but both decades are significantly lower than 70's, 00's & '10's

10's - 724
00's - 393
90's - 192
80's - 167
70's - 411
Ian

bartymj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bartymj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 10:10
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I do not "believe" that there was a "bleak prog void" at any time and place. There are way too many bands around the world, and all we think of is the small areas that we know, sometimes, and think they are the owners and definers of the art form only in the way that we want them. The same music with aborigine instruments would get laughed at and ignored by most of us real quick, not to mention that it would sound out of key (western style of course!), and badly put together! But it can't be said that the effort was not there for that particular style!

Sometimes I think that too much music is influenced by the current scene too much, and there is a lot of stuff that goes into it and the 90's, just like any other era had just as many good/great things. The only issue is that we don't listen to those, and then go back to the top 5 and discussing the same album again, and our favorite song.

However, you will find some artists (quoting Robin Williamson) that did not feel that the MEDIA had as great an influence as we think on most poets and artists, however, it maybe like the art itself is what defined the media words AFTER the fact ... which says a lot about artists and how valuable and important I think they are. I am not sure that the numbers here reveal a whole lot about the music at all ... which is sad for me ... there is a lot of great stuff out there not being heard.

Zheul had been around in France for a long time, and in many forms almost to the point that many folks like to say that a large amount of it is actually better than the original, which of course is possible and likely ... what child doesn't get bored with their parents at times and wants to do things differently? SPECIALLY when they had been there at the start, with likely a hand in making the original!

But there are some strange numbers ... this latest set shows 9 ratings, and that is the opening page of "Reviews and Ratings of KRAUTROCK" and right above it says that there were 731 ratings/reviews total. It actually is not a "bad" listing, but a very general set that does not really come close to the term, or its definition. CAN's Future Days, almost does not fit the term, when compared to Tago Mago or Ege Bamyasi, that are very clean and improvised freely. Ash Ra Tempel's first album is more of an ambient album than where it is rated. Popol Vuh, would not fit as "krautrock" since it was not any kind of rock, until later! I'm OK with the 3 AD2 selections with the obvious fact that a lot of the first album was not exactly an improvisation and have the incredible impact that YETI did, or DANCE OF THE LEMMINGS.

Whoa, easy now... I was just being silly. Looks like I accidentally started an argument.
As for the Krautrock paragraph... they just happen to be albums I've listened to, PA files them under Krautrock. I've not chosen those 9 and decided that means I don't like Krautrock, don't worry...
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 00:08
My previous profile's table would have been perfect for this (I had more than 1000 ratings with several reviews) but this profile's been gone for half a year now. The table of my current one is unworthy, with some +/-40 reviews. LOL
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 22:55
Wrote a few reviews during COVID, but it doesn't really reveal any genre preferences or preferable periods of time because they're too few reviews. It was just whatever took my fancy to write at the time.
1Symphonic Prog323.41
2Crossover Prog253.24
3Neo-Prog83.13
4Eclectic Prog84.50
5Prog Folk73.43
6Psychedelic/Space Rock63.50
7Proto-Prog44.25
8Prog Related23.50
9Heavy Prog22.50
10Tech/Extreme Prog Metal14.00
11Progressive Metal14.00
12Rock Progressivo Italiano
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 04:53
Tiny, but it takes more time to write in English.

1 Crossover Prog192.63
2 Prog Folk173.00
3 Symphonic Prog14.00
TOP20 Songs
Genesis
Rush
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 05:27
Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

Tiny, but it takes more time to write in English.

1 Crossover Prog192.63
2 Prog Folk173.00
3 Symphonic Prog14.00
You can always repost your table later with more album ratings, just like I did yesterday after rating all of Supertramp's albums. Smile

Fully two-fifths of my Symphonic Prog ratings/reviews are all for Rick Wakeman's albums: 107  out of a total of 283 albums. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 04 2021 at 05:30
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 05:57
Same table but using my Gnosis data

Sub-genre Nb of ratings Avg rating
1 Avant-Garde 558 3.59
2 Eclectic 145 3.39
3 Fusion 127 3.36
4 Crossover 102 3.42
5 Electronic 85 3.42
6 Canterbury 82 3.56
7 Zeuhl 82 3.65
8 Folk Prog 74 3.64
9 Space Rock 66 3.40
10 Prog Related 61 3.17