Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Benefit by Jethro Tull.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tancos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2021 at 22:39
Stand Up is my favorite Tull, but I've listened to Benefit a lot over the years as well. After Cornick and Bunker were gone, I lost interest in the band.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2021 at 23:25
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

Let me cut to the chase, "Benefit" is my favorite Tull album.  Whenever I hear a song from this album I think of high school.  This is the album that brought me to Jethro Tull and has remained my favorite all of these years.

To clarify, the original UK album release did not include "Teacher", which was released as a stand alone single in the UK. And this video is not the version included in the US album release as it featured Anderson's flute in the instrumental break and this, the UK single version, does not.

Edited by SteveG - March 01 2021 at 04:26
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 00:07
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Is it safe to say that you would put it the masterpiece or near masterpiece class?

Mmm YES
is that your final answer?

Mmm mmm YES!
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 04:33
Ok, after pondering all that was posted here by the Tull heads who love Benefit (and even Father Don Pardo from SOT), I gave Benefit another close listen and determined that it's a good album but it's still no Aqualung. Tongue

Edited by SteveG - March 01 2021 at 05:10
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 09:44

Ok, after pondering all that was posted here by the Tull heads who love Benefit (and even Father Don Pardo from SOT), I gave Benefit another close listen and determined that it's a good album but it's still no Aqualung. Tongue

Agreed...'Aqualung' is better, ... now that we have settled that......can we agree that TAAB and PP are
 self-indulgent  overated albums...?
Wink

Edited by dr wu23 - March 01 2021 at 09:45
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 09:46
PP for sure, but TAAB is just too good
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 11:17
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Agreed...'Aqualung' is better, ... now that we have settled that......can we agree that TAAB and PP are
 self-indulgent  overated albums...?
Wink
Hmm...overrated? No. Self-indulgent? Absolutely, just like all the other great prog albums. LOL
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 12:06
Originally posted by Tancos Tancos wrote:

Stand Up is my favorite Tull, but I've listened to Benefit a lot over the years as well. After Cornick and Bunker were gone, I lost interest in the band.
Same here, very different band after those two were gone.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 12:19
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Originally posted by Tancos Tancos wrote:

Same here, very different band after those two were gone.
I would agree that losing Cornick for Aqualung was tragic. Just listen to what Cornick brings to "My God" on the 1970 Isle Of Wight concert.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 15:00
Teacher and Witches promise are two 1970 classics
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 15:18
I love Benefit; They were a very different band making that lp from the band that made Aqualung; not just line-up.. Aqualung is a much more sophisticated lp but Benefit is not a lesser album for that.. it has a simpler, rougher edged, more direct vibe and is a natural staging point between Stand up and Aqualung and feels similar to Family's 'Song for me' lp which came out the same year, a real rough diamond.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12