Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Epics from the DARK AGES (the 80s)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Any of these 80s epics deserving of comparison to Classic Era greats?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [2.29%]
7 [5.34%]
3 [2.29%]
3 [2.29%]
1 [0.76%]
2 [1.53%]
20 [15.27%]
6 [4.58%]
13 [9.92%]
6 [4.58%]
2 [1.53%]
9 [6.87%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [0.76%]
5 [3.82%]
2 [1.53%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
15 [11.45%]
5 [3.82%]
7 [5.34%]
1 [0.76%]
10 [7.63%]
9 [6.87%]
1 [0.76%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog Epics from the DARK AGES (the 80s)
    Posted: March 10 2021 at 06:41
MULTIPLE VOTES ALLOWED

A quickly gathered list of exciting epics from the post "classic" era (please excuse the loose definitions of "epic" and "'classic' era," Greg) considered by some as the Dark Ages of progressive rock music. In your opinions, which of these songs are worthy of inclusion alongside the "greats" of the 1970s? 

MULTIPLE VOTES ENCOURAGED

(I think I have this one set up properly so it can proceed more smoothly than the previous one. Embarrassed)

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 06:44
80s being called "dark ages" is so funny. 

I like few of these, should I vote for those? EmbarrassedSmile

edit - having a better look here, there still are 5-6 songs I enjoy, it's still a tough choice. LOL

Edited by Cristi - March 10 2021 at 06:48
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 06:52
Twelfth Night
IQ
SBB
Kate Bush
Mother Gong
Pallas
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 06:57
 I only know a few of these but I don't need to look past The Ninth Wave.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 06:59
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I only know a few of these but I don't need to look past The Ninth Wave.

Awesome song

Music Is Live

<
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 07:13
Mr. Phillips and Ms. Bush.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 07:42
Letting my avant flag fly, great decade for panheads, voted for:-

Eskaton
Univers Zero
Present
Shub-Niggurath
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 07:46
Solaris
Twelfth Night
IQ
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 08:11
I know lots of 80s music but I'm not that strong on the prog side. Kate Bush's Ninth Wave is outstanding, but I can also vote for Eskaton and Univers Zero, and I do like the Propaganda track (and vote it) despite not being prog in my ears.

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 08:24
Unleash the Hounds of Love! I'm voting for Kate Bush again, seeing as it's the only epic I know in this poll. Embarrassed
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 08:26
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Unleash the Hounds of Love! I'm voting for Kate Bush again, seeing as it's the only epic I know in this poll. Embarrassed

And what an incredible epic track it is...

Music Is Live

<
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 08:37
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

And what an incredible epic track it is...
I just noticed Propaganda's Dream Within a Dream is in the poll too, so that doubles up the number of prog epics I know from the Dark Ages. Smile
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 09:22
Solaris
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 09:25
The Enemy Smacks all the other tracks in the poll.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 10:12
I’ve voted for Kate and Frankie. And I’d love to know who the others are who’ve voted for Welcome to the Pleasuredome. Come on now, don’t be shy! If I can admit to loving this song, so can you. Don’t be hiding behind the anonymity of a vote! 😜😜
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 10:25
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I’ve voted for Kate and Frankie. And I’d love to know who the others are who’ve voted for Welcome to the Pleasuredome. Come on now, don’t be shy! If I can admit to loving this song, so can you. Don’t be hiding behind the anonymity of a vote! 😜😜

I put it up there cuz I've always loved it. Having Steve Howe on board and Trevor Horn in the producer's seat sealed the deal for me back when it came out. Then to see it performed live at Trevor's 2004 celebration with Steve on stage (along with so many other prog artists): Heaven!

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 10:41
I have to almost go all Psychedelic and say that I don't know any of these, however, I just listened to the Mother Gong song earlier this week, so I can check that off.  There are 5 or 6 more on the list that I am pretty sure that I have heard, as I own them, but couldn't tell you what they sounded like without re-listening to them.  Embarrassed
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 11:16
Voted for Pat Metheny and Anthony Phillips.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 11:20
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I put it up there cuz I've always loved it. Having Steve Howe on board and Trevor Horn in the producer's seat sealed the deal for me back when it came out. Then to see it performed live at Trevor's 2004 celebration with Steve on stage (along with so many other prog artists): Heaven!

The album is a more patchy affair, and actually a little disappointing, coming off the strength of the singles. But the title track is immense. Trevor Horn’s hands are definitely all over the album. Some of it works well, and some of it not so well. But when it works, it’s pretty damn good.

Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 11:22
My first option was Twelfth Night, "We Are Sane" it´s really Epic and energetic, cant choose between this song or "Sequences", love the live versions  of both songs.

Second option another neo group, IQ, really love that song.

Thrid Option Univers Zero, what a band!!!

Really love Propaganda, the german  synth -Euro - pop - experimental - dance combo, very unique.

Kate Bush another great option
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>