9 [25.71%]
1 [2.86%]
2 [5.71%]
11 [31.43%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Classic "Grunge" Bands
    Posted: March 10 2021 at 23:35
Its really hard to choose. I go with Alice in Chains.
You also can recommend grunge bands that don't found on the poll.

Edited by yogev - September 24 2021 at 08:14
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 23:50
Maybe ask on GrungeArchives! LOL
As I said about Oasis yesterday, Grunge should be banned, sorry.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 23:57
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

Alice in Chains. 

I dislike most grunge (I could not escape it back in the 90s Thumbs Down LOL), but ban it? Who should ban it? LOL
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 00:05
Nirvana, by far. 

Alice In Chains isn't bad either and I like a few Soundgarden and Smashing Pumpkins songs. 

Tad and Melvins are great, but were never as big as the listed bands. 

Edit: +Mudhoney!!

Edited by Hiram - March 11 2021 at 03:34
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 00:08

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 00:08
Smashing Pumpkins.

1995 (or 1979) was their year.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 00:27
Nirvana 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 01:03
Voted Nirvana. I liked and still like all those bands. Seen all them live except for Nirvana. Another band that I liked from that period are the Screaming Trees.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 01:45
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Alice in Chains. 

I dislike most grunge (I could not escape it back in the 90s Thumbs Down LOL), but ban it? Who should ban it? LOL
Well, you can't really ban it, can you? It's just a way to express my discontent with this kind of music; shouldn't be taken as seriously, since millions of people love it.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 01:55

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Alice in Chains. 

Well, you can't really ban it, can you? It's just a way to express my discontent with this kind of music; shouldn't be taken as seriously, since millions of people love it.

I was not taking it seriously, two LOLs emoticons proof of that. Tongue
I survived the grungy and alt 90s discovering music from the 60s and 70s and then the rise of progressive metal, gothic metal, doom metal and so on. Big smile
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 02:18
interesting selection. I’m glad you put “grunge” in inverted commas, because it’s one of the most bs labels that exist. So many of the bands grouped together under than label really had nothing much to do with each other musically. Some of them might have been related to each other by geographical proximity and/or friendship, but that’s about it.

The “Big Four” have always been listed as Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Alice In Chains, and that alone shows how disparate and varied the sounds and style of music were by those who were labelled “grunge”. For me, never having been a big fan of Nirvana, the big four for me were Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Screaming Trees and Pearl Jam.

What’s interesting, however, is how much of a gravitational pull Seattle had in this period, so that many musicians and bands moved across the country to be part of that scene. I’m inclined not to include Smashing Pumpkins and Stone Temple Pilots, as much as I like their music, because they did always try to remain apart from the “grunge” scene, no matter how close in sound they sounded to other bands within the scene at times.

Having a quick look through my iPod, here are the bands and artists in my collection associated with Seattle - by which I mean music by bands and artists either from that area, or who moved to the area to further their musical career, and have become associated with it.

I will put a ** beside their name if I have ever seen them described as “grunge” in the media. And this is me being judicious. Queensryche”s Q2K album was described as grumge, but I won’t ** them based on one album. (Both Michael Wilton and Chris DeGarmo have played on releases with “grunge” artists, and those have also been described as “grunge”, but again, that is not as Queensryche.)

**Alice in Chains
**Beat Happening
Best Kissers in the World
**Brad
**Built to Spill
Matt Cameron
**Candlebox
**Jerry Cantrell
**Caustic Resin
**Chris Cornell
Critters Buggin
Warrel Dane
The Dark Fantastic
Jeremy Enigk
The Fire Theft
Foo Fighters
**Stone Gossard
**Green Apple Quick Step
**Green River
**The Halo Benders
**Hater
Jimi Hendrix
**Mike Johnson
**Mark Lanegan
Lotus Crush
Duff McKagen
**Mad Season
**Malfunkshun
Barrett Martin
Kevin Martin
Doug Martsch
**Mother Love Bone
**My Sisters Machine
Nevermore
**Pearl Jam
Mark Pickerel
Queensryche
**Redlightmusic
Robert Roth
**Screaming Trees
**Second Coming
**Skin Yard
Sky Cries Mary
**Soundgarden
**Spies4Darwin
Sunn O)))
Sunny Day Real Estate
**Sweet Water
**Temple of the Dog
**Three Fish
Treepeople
**Truly
Tuatara
**Eddie Vedder
**The Walkabouts
Walking Papers
Wayward Shamans 
**Wellwater Conspiracy

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 03:35
Soundgarden for me - Superunknown is one of my favourite albums.
ssmarcus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssmarcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 03:55

While grunge is generally bereft of any progressive elements (not a bad thing, I love grunge, just stating a fact) Soundgarden is the one exception to this. They had a knack for odd time signatures and, thanks to their use of bizzare guitar tunings and love of psychedelia, they actually produce some fairly progressive moments. Certainly not enough to be considered for the archives, but still enough to warrant a discussion on the forums Smile
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 04:26
Originally posted by ssmarcus ssmarcus wrote:

While grunge is generally bereft of any progressive elements (not a bad thing, I love grunge, just stating a fact) Soundgarden is the one exception to this. They had a knack for odd time signatures and, thanks to their use of bizzare guitar tunings and love of psychedelia, they actually produce some fairly progressive moments. Certainly not enough to be considered for the archives, but still enough to warrant a discussion on the forums Smile

Of the big four, Soundgarden are definitely one of the proggiest, thanks a lot to Matt Cameron. Once he joined Pearl Jam, he definitely made that band more interesting, too. I already liked Pearl Jam, but pretty much all my favourite PJ albums are with Matt Cameron onboard.

I think Truly are pretty proggy, too. Their debut full length, “Fast Stories...From Kid Coma”, is easily one of my most favourite “grunge” albums. Certainly the most Mellotron I’ve heard on a “grunge” album, anyway. And I love the way they have structured the (concept) album, so that it gets progressively (no pun intended) stranger the further through you get. The first couple of songs give a quite false impression of the album in general, and my favourites all tend to come from closer to the end. The way the album effectively crescendos as a whole, and collapses in a glorious and melancholy climax is amazing.

If I were ever to play one “grunge” album for a prog audience, it would probably be Truly’s. That said, they might well get bored before the more proggy parts begin. For me the payoff is worth it, but then I like “grunge” as much as prog, so..... 🤷🏻‍♂️

And not that I’ve ever heard Sunny Day Real Estate/The Fire Theft called grunge, given they were active in Seattle at the same time as the “grunge” explosion, I think it’s worth noting that they, too, had their fair share of proggy moments. Definitely one of my most favourite Seattle bands.

ssmarcus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssmarcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 04:48
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I think Truly are pretty proggy, too. Their debut full length, “Fast Stories...From Kid Coma”, is easily one of my most favourite “grunge” albums. Certainly the most Mellotron I’ve heard on a “grunge” album, anyway. And I love the way they have structured the (concept) album, so that it gets progressively (no pun intended) stranger the further through you get. The first couple of songs give a quite false impression of the album in general, and my favourites all tend to come from closer to the end. The way the album effectively crescendos as a whole, and collapses in a glorious and melancholy climax is amazing.

If I were ever to play one “grunge” album for a prog audience, it would probably be Truly’s. That said, they might well get bored before the more proggy parts begin. For me the payoff is worth it, but then I like “grunge” as much as prog, so..... 🤷🏻‍♂️

I CANNOT wait to check out this album. Thanks for recommending it! 
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 04:57

Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I CANNOT wait to check out this album. Thanks for recommending it! 

I’ve not heard the remaster, and I have the “missing track” on the Twilight Curtains compilation cd, so no idea how this sounds compared to the original - but here you go:

The rhythm section is Hiro (ex-Soundgarden) and Mark (ex-Screaming Trees).
I have their debut ep, this album, the follow-up, and the compilation on cd. I don’t think they have anything else, so I think I have it all. Oh, and also Robert Roth’s solo album.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 05:08
I like all of these bands.  Pearl Jam and Soundgarden being my favorite of the bunch.  I've probably heard/own albums from about 1/3rd of the bands that Nick listed.  Looks like I could have some exploring to do.  Truly truly sound like they'd be interesting to hear.  
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 05:16
top 3 (no order)
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Soundgarden
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
yogev View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 05:26

Alice in Chains have some progy moments too, with odd time signatures and strange chord progressions. Sometimes Grunge can be very experimental and "progy" in that sense.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 05:40
Nice list from Nick. I have about half of those and heard about 2/3. A couple of other Seattle bands from that time that I liked were Gruntruck and Love Battery, and also Satchel (RIP Shawn Smith).

Edited by mathman0806 - March 11 2021 at 05:41
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>