Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What Single Albums Should Have Been Doubles?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2021 at 14:07
Both 'Pawn Hearts' by VDGG and 'Baby James Harvest' by Barclay James Harvest were initially envisaged as double lps; Pawn Hearts having a 'Live in the Studio' record (or maybe just 1 side, i cant remember) of older material (i think some of that recorded material has turned up as extra material on CD reissues). BBH was originally intended to have one record entitled '4 winds' which would give space for each member to do their own thing (A'la Ummagumma, which frankly i blame for the whole idea of this sort of thingWink) but again finances and lack of time put paid to that; the only surviving piece being Woolly's 'Moonwater' which ended up filling the remaining space on the sadly lack-lustre Baby James Harvest.

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2021 at 23:06
Pawn Hearts
Foxtrot
Relayer

Good thread!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2021 at 10:50
Hi,

I have some reservations here ... not sure how I could take something and spread it out to make a bigger impact ... sort of like stretching that painting makes it better ... instead of the opposite that we like to talk about so much ... squeeze it so we don't see the carnage, so to speak ... or can't smell the pee in a few paintings by someone else. And I do not want any of RW's Curry ... thank you ... although it probably would make his music better and less pretentious!

The part that I am worried about, is the one where a guy just posted here recently and he had a very large project that appear scrumptious, and he cut it all down to size that many of us rock fans can handle and to my ears the piece comes off hurt and broken up ... but I did not think the guy could see it from a composition perspective, which I'm sure he felt no one would buy as it would be too big.

Sometimes I want "more" ... so you can see the transitions that a band goes through ... but when things are just a bunch of songs ... not for me ... ciao baby!

I can not, exactly, think of an album that I would like to see spread out some more ... I have never thought of music that way, and never have I thought of music as just something that has to be of a song length that has a chance to get some radio ... which of course no longer exists today in the 21st Century.

I'm more concerned with the artistry of the whole thing, which is the reason why "songs" are not that valuable for me since many of them are really the same thing or the same story, and have the same form and process as the previous one ... and I like the "short stories" by many when you sit down and read them, and they are all different and you remember parts from all of them ... an album of just songs with little story, loses it for me really quick.

Recently I had a chance to hear some stuff done by a SF band ... and it was over 15 minutes long ... and here is what I miss the most ... even at the Fillmore, it was the extended versions that excited so many people because it was getting far out and exciting ... and those never made it to the records ... and all of a sudden, I'm hearing something that belonged at the Fillmore, and it sounded outstanding ... but we never heard it! 

So yeah, some of the old "long cuts" and "extended versions" ... would be something I would want to hear more of ... but just spreading the "story", already as sparse and poor as it might be, I'm not sure is the right thing to do ... but this is something that each and everyone of the artists out there has to decide for themselves, and it is not for me to tell them that I want more or less of something. I never told Picasso, or Dali that I wanted less pink or blue paint! ... or less clocks and more breast! It kinda just gets a bit weird and out time, since the work was done a while back and the artist is already onto something else ... I think we're looking at an empty jar ... for something that is not only there ... except in our imaginations.

Edited by moshkito - April 01 2021 at 10:57
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2021 at 11:21
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

ELP could have recorded a studio version of Pictures at an Exhibition and combined it with either Trilogy or Brain Salad Surgery.
Too much going on. Works 2 would be my choice to make up for some of the weaker moments.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2021 at 00:51
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Both 'Pawn Hearts' by VDGG and 'Baby James Harvest' by Barclay James Harvest were initially envisaged as double lps; Pawn Hearts having a 'Live in the Studio' record (or maybe just 1 side, i cant remember) of older material (i think some of that recorded material has turned up as extra material on CD reissues). BBH was originally intended to have one record entitled '4 winds' which would give space for each member to do their own thing (A'la Ummagumma, which frankly i blame for the whole idea of this sort of thingWink) but again finances and lack of time put paid to that; the only surviving piece being Woolly's 'Moonwater' which ended up filling the remaining space on the sadly lack-lustre Baby James Harvest.

The second side of Pawn Hearts was also going to have an "Ummagumma" section in addition to the live-in-the-studio stuff. My CD version of it only has the band members' solo compositions as bonus tracks (along with Theme One, of course) and I think they sound pretty cool, pity they couldn't make it onto the "real" album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2021 at 00:58
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

ELP could have recorded a studio version of Pictures at an Exhibition and combined it with either Trilogy or Brain Salad Surgery.
Too much going on. Works 2 would be my choice to make up for some of the weaker moments.

I agree; that's a lot of ELP lol.

Anyone else feel like ITCoTCK and ITWoP are very, very similar and almost have a two-part feel? My band mates and I always joke it's nearly the same recording session.

Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2021 at 06:43
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

The second side of Pawn Hearts was also going to have an "Ummagumma" section in addition to the live-in-the-studio stuff. My CD version of it only has the band members' solo compositions as bonus tracks (along with Theme One, of course) and I think they sound pretty cool, pity they couldn't make it onto the "real" album.

Thats right; thanks for that, i knew i didnt have 'all my ducks in row' as it were..SmileWink

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2021 at 01:53
Brain Salad Surgery + Pictures At An Exhibition
BSS already had a few extra tracks recorded that were not used. I would extend Karn Evil 9 2nd Impression  to make one Single album and then chuck the rest on the second disc along with pinching the idea of studio version of Pictures (similar to the version that was given as a bonus track on In The Hot Seat but recorded in 1973)
It would then look something like 

Disc One
Karn Evil 9 Is Impression (as per the album)
Karn Evil 9 2nd Impression (extended to include piano improvisations)
Karn Evil 9 3rd Impression (as per the album)

Disc Two
Brain Salad Surgery (from the NME flexi disc)
Jerusalem (per the album)
Toccata (per the album)
Still You Turn Me On (per the album)
Benny The Bouncer (per the album)
When The Apple Blossom Blooms (from the NME flex disc)
Pictures At At Exhibition (studio version similar to the encore live versions from 1973-74)

Edited by richardh - April 03 2021 at 01:55
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2021 at 04:55
The Sensational Alex Harvey band 'Live' could have so, so easily been extended to a double.. He, and his band, were putting out one of the most exciting, varied and ballsy live shows around at that time and its always mystified me that it wasnt extended.. There may well be extra live material thats been added to CD re-issues.. 

Grubert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 04:11
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

The second side of Pawn Hearts should feature one solo composition by each of the other 3 members and 3 live in the studio recordings of older songs, to show how much these had changed in their live incarnations.

Of the 3 solo tracks 2 are on the remastered Pawn Hearts, with the one by David Jackson called "Archimedes Agnostic" being still untraceable. The one by Jackson, which is on the album, is only a short throwaway piece named "Ponker's Theme", it is very unlikely that it would have made the double album.

Of the 3 live recordings 2 are lost and the 3rd one, a wonderful, amazing, fascinating version of Giant Squid and Octopus, can be find on the remastered H to HE.
The other 2 were Darkness and Killer, but at least the BBC versions from 1971 (both on the After the Flood set) are surely very representative of how they would have sounded.

So it is possible, with the one exception, to "reconstruct" most of this unreleased 2nd LP of the album.

Well, I'm glad that Pawn Hearts was released as a single album, but I wish they had made then an album of this live stuff, with further re-recordings of Afterwards and Aquarian. It would have been great to have these 4 songs from the debut album played by the new band, and The Aerosol Grey Machine was at this time not officially released in the UK.

Edited by Grubert - April 05 2021 at 04:14
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 16:24
"Carnival in Babylon" by Amon Düül 2. This was really originally planned as a double album, but the producer didn't want another one after "Yeti" and "Tanz der Lemminge", so it had to become a single one. "Hawknose Harlequin" was originally twenty-seven minutes long. Darn the producers!

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2021 at 23:13
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Pawn Hearts
Foxtrot
Relayer

Good thread!

Bit off topic here but if Patrick Moraz had hung around a bit longer and recorded another album with Yes I think it would have blown the prog world apart and changed the entire history of the band.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 00:20
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Pawn Hearts
Foxtrot
Relayer

Good thread!

Bit off topic here but if Patrick Moraz had hung around a bit longer and recorded another album with Yes I think it would have blown the prog world apart and changed the entire history of the band.

I agree completely, and we were having that exact discussion in the comments of Yes' facebook post on Moraz the other day. Lots of people agree with your sentiment! Moraz is my favorite keyboard player in Yes.

A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 00:42
Soft Machine - Volumes 1 & 2 could have easily been a grandiose psych-pop double album
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2021 at 12:40

If they'd have included all of the parts of Mussorgsky's work, as well as their own 'pictures' as on the live album, that could have made a great double album.  Such a shame they didn't do a proper studio version, but as I understand it, it was a leftover project from Emerson's Nice days.  However the version of Pictures we do have remains one of my all time favourite albums - I always seem to find it uplifting to listen to.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
PJMarten View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PJMarten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2021 at 19:17
If you sent a Flower King Double Album back in time, it would be an eight sided quadruple album. LOL 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 01:32
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

If they'd have included all of the parts of Mussorgsky's work, as well as their own 'pictures' as on the live album, that could have made a great double album.  Such a shame they didn't do a proper studio version, but as I understand it, it was a leftover project from Emerson's Nice days.  However the version of Pictures we do have remains one of my all time favourite albums - I always seem to find it uplifting to listen to.

in the early days they needed something to make the live shows more 'meaty' so it was used really for that purpose. They had originally intended to bolt it onto Tarkus as a bonus release but they could have had a stellar single album with a clipped studio version as side two to the Tarkus album and got rid of the sub standard original side two That would have ruled but it wouldn't have been a double and Greg Lake would probably have hated it!!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 01:36
Rush's Farewell To Kings coul've been a doubkle album by adding the second part of Cygnus X-1 that is on Hemispheres, and add up with the rest of the H tracks on the D-side
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 02:41
I can't think of many examples. I'm not a huge fan of the double album, with a few exceptions, but I agree with Sean Trane about AFTK and Hemisphere's could have been quite a spectacular double package, so long as the whole work was produced as well as Hemispheres.

Although I'm not a massive Marillion fan, I think Script could have made an interesting double, had they included Market Square Heroes, 12 Boats.. and a reworking of Grendl, along with the other b sides from the singles from that album.

I can certainly think of a double album that would have been better condensed into a single.. Tales from Topographic Oceans..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 02:45
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I can certainly think of a double album that would have been better condensed into a single.. Tales from Topographic Oceans..

...Or just use turn the two vinyl discs into flowerpots.

Don't get me wrong, I love Yes, but on TFTO they somewhat lost the plot (in my opinion).
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>