Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Archives Facebook

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 16:05
I might be one of the few people here that doesn't have a FB page. It took too much time away from other things, and I decided to cancel my page.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 18:04
Not the ONLY one !
Of course Mrs. JD has one, but not me.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Mudpuppy64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mudpuppy64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 19:10
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I might be one of the few people here that doesn't have a FB page. It took too much time away from other things, and I decided to cancel my page.

Ditto
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 22:37
FB is supposed to be instant new things which it is ... but not always. A lot of FB groups can push the same old. There is no reference such as the PA archives.  If you display an interest in something you get further posts on a subject. It's an alternative and one can communicate instantly. This I suspect is the main appeal.

Good for comedy videos.

It's also a time sink so choose your moments wisely...
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 23:21
When I was on Facebook, I thought it was a good way to stay up to date on my different interests. I was a bit worried when I stopped using it, but I haven't looked back since and don't feel like I've missed anything. 

Just my tuppence and to each their own of course. 
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 23:27
I reluctantly curate a FB account as I find it useful for keeping in touch with close family and real life friends, but I don't really use it for much else.

When it comes to social media I much prefer Twitter which can be good company for someone living on their own like myself.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 23:41
I do think a PA facebook page should be kept alive and be constantly fed, because even though I do prefer the PA page and forum, FB can reach more people. It would be great if a post could be made automatically on the FB page whenever a review, or perhaps even a topic, is made on PA, so that there could be started a conversation about any such things there too. It would be great to see the PA FB page be among the most important prog FB pages (or groups, or both).
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2021 at 00:15
Yeah I stopped using Pacefook a good while ago (4-5 years?) and my life has been so much easier.
It’s basically just a platform for lying about how great/horrendous/fantastic/awful one’s life is...and then of course taking a photo of situations in order to prove to everyone else that you indeed experienced something in your life.

I realise I am coming off like an old man.
Good
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2021 at 02:08
^ there is no vaccine for the cranky crinkly virus. I mean, when you order your lunch, walk your dog, have a drink, rob a convenience store or stone your MP, you don't really need to take a photo of it to share with everyone else you have precisely zero intention of meeting do you?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2021 at 02:40

That’s just being hip these days. A photo of anything is proof...that you indeed took a photo. The question beckons though...how much of life’s genuinely interesting and satori-like moments does one truly experience with a camera between the event and oneself?
That’s my main gripe with Facebook. Everything is so superficial. A neverending quest for likes and faux accomplishments.
Truth be told, I thought it was a great idea to begin with...but the more I see of it the more I am reminded of Narcisus and his love affair with his own reflection.

Edited by Guldbamsen - April 08 2021 at 02:44
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2021 at 03:40
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

That’s just being hip these days. A photo of anything is proof...that you indeed took a photo. The question beckons though...how much of life’s genuinely interesting and satori-like moments does one truly experience with a camera between the event and oneself?
That’s my main gripe with Facebook. Everything is so superficial. A neverending quest for likes and faux accomplishments.
Truth be told, I thought it was a great idea to begin with...but the more I see of it the more I am reminded of Narcisus and his love affair with his own reflection.

So very much thisClap. I do have a FB account, but these days it's a source of sadness and frustration rather than anything else. For me, the last straw came couple of weeks ago, on what would have been Slartibartfast's birthday. Seeing people wishing him a great day - completely unaware of his death - felt so tawdry and heartbreaking. With very few exceptions, no one cares about anyone else but themselves there.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2021 at 03:57
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

So very much thisClap. I do have a FB account, but these days it's a source of sadness and frustration rather than anything else. For me, the last straw came couple of weeks ago, on what would have been Slartibartfast's birthday. Seeing people wishing him a great day - completely unaware of his death - felt so tawdry and heartbreaking. With very few exceptions, no one cares about anyone else but themselves there.

The birthday thing!  What happens is FB notifies you that it's the birthday of somebody in your friends' list.  And then you feel it would be impolite not to wish EVEN if the person is just an acquaintance and not REALLY a friend.  Which happens a lot on FB because people, myself included, just add each other like crazy and then forget who all are in the friends' list. 

It happened that I was not in touch with a woman who was in the same batch as me for a management training program years back...but she was in my list.  I saw her birthday notification.  But I didn't immediately wish her and instead clicked on her wall.  I usually do that because people often put a wrong date as their birthday on FB for privacy's sake (unless they are close friends/relatives where I know for sure).  So I did that and then learnt to my great shock that she had died.  But I saw/see people wishing her on that day like clockwork, never wondering why they don't get a response.  

As morbid as this is, a documentary about something similar was made back in 2011 and about something that happened in 2003 (that is, before social media).  A British woman named Joyce Vincent died in 2003 and her body was only discovered nearly 3 years later.  She was youngish when she died and supposed to have been a vivacious personality so her death and the fact that she had been living all alone (as a result of which her body lay unattended for so long) came as a shock to the people who knew her. Guess it happens sadly that some people drift away from society, perhaps due to something that makes them sad or depressed or perhaps because they are in circumstances where they would like to avoid the judgmental eye of society. 

Edited by rogerthat - April 08 2021 at 03:59
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2021 at 04:01

Wise words, mate. Thumbs Up

Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2021 at 04:17
I have never used FB, Twitter etc. and never will.  I just find it very sad how people walk around like zombies with the phone glued to their hand and to their ears, totally dead to the world and what is happening around them in their real life.  Heck these people can't focus on a movie or hold a conversation with their family without having to keep looking back to their phone.  Worse still they believe the gospel according to what their phone says as the worlds truth and knowledge, nothing else matters to them or is real.  A complete dumbing down of society.  Wondering how much more mentally declining it could possibly get with all the future advancement of this zombie technology.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2021 at 04:57
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I am not on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or any other of these social media sites. I find them all rather pointless, excepting when I do research for work or PABT.

I think Twitter differs, unless you use it as a medium for "socialization". A practical and vast platform for acculturation.

Facebook, well... People are happy in their safe spheres, I guess. In forums, you have to be prepared for anything, but "social media" is like typical social relationships. It can have its surprises, but it is "safe & clean" normally. Too boring for me.

Never had an Instagram account, and have zero interest in creating one.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2021 at 06:19
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

I think Twitter differs, unless you use it as a medium for "socialization". A practical and vast platform for acculturation.

Facebook, well... People are happy in their safe spheres, I guess. In forums, you have to be prepared for anything, but "social media" is like typical social relationships. It can have its surprises, but it is "safe & clean" normally. Too boring for me.

The problem with Twitter is it's too crude and virtually anyone can butt in with any kind of 'opinion' where opinion could be simply a euphemism for vile personal insults. 

FB too isn't that much of a bubble.  You can discover through FB that your work acquaintances, family friends who are pleasant company in person can have seriously bizarre political views and are, uh, more than a bit vocal in expressing them. Actually, the younger generation seems to realize the problems with FB for some of them have made groups where people express political and other opinions from all over the spectrum.  The idea IS to build tolerance to dissent and disagreement. 
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2021 at 06:24
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

The problem with Twitter is it's too crude and virtually anyone can butt in with any kind of 'opinion' where opinion could be simply a euphemism for vile personal insults. 

FB too isn't that much of a bubble.  You can discover through FB that your work acquaintances, family friends who are pleasant company in person can have seriously bizarre political views and are, uh, more than a bit vocal in expressing them. Actually, the younger generation seems to realize the problems with FB for some of them have made groups where people express political and other opinions from all over the spectrum.  The idea IS to build tolerance to dissent and disagreement. 

I don't even read any "comments" on Twitter. I only use it for acculturation.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2021 at 06:34

I don't even read any "comments" on Twitter. I only use it for acculturation.

It's time for me to get the dictionary out to find out what "acculturation" means. Smile
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2021 at 07:15

Sounds like a description of PA, sometimes.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2021 at 08:13
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Sounds like a description of PA, sometimes.

PA is an extremely well moderated forum. We do get flare ups and rows here, but they are, in truth, an e caption and not the rule.

We don’t often get the type of moronic comments you see on social media at large.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>